Trump's Russian Collusion

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: The Mueller Investigation

Post by a fan »

What is it that you want that isn't happening?
Chips O'Toole

Post by Chips O'Toole »

a fan wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:57 pm What is it that you want that isn't happening?
(1) Release of the Mueller Report to the House Intelligence Committee, confidentially, unredacted and with the entire case file.
(2) A public release of the report, redacted as needed only to protect intelligence sources and ongoing investigations. Public release of Mueller's summaries without redaction, as no redaction is needed.

Both of these are what the law dictates. Barr is skipping (1) altogether and on (2) adding a bunch of other redactions in his discretion, which will result in a redaction of the core of the report. How can you think that is ok?
a fan

Post by a fan »

Because they'll get there. And the longer they kick the can down the road on handing the full report to Pelosi---as i suggested earlier, and you are suggesting now---the more they'll hammer Trump leading up to the election.

The Republicans just aren't all that smart, and haven't figured this out yet....

If you're a Trump hater, the foot dragging helps your cause.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Barr says he'll negotiate with Nadler & Graham after the report is out.

I bet at least the Gang of 8 (or other chairmen & ranking members) will be able to review the unredacted report & file in a SCIF, with no note taking & no staffers. That way, if there's any leaks, Barr will know the likely leakers.

Mueller wasn't hired to produce opposition research. That's what Fusion GPS & MI-6 are for.
Chips O'Toole

Post by Chips O'Toole »

a fan wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:17 pm Because they'll get there. And the longer they kick the can down the road on handing the full report to Pelosi---as i suggested earlier, and you are suggesting now---the more they'll hammer Trump leading up to the election.

The Republicans just aren't all that smart, and haven't figured this out yet....

Yep, let's ignore the rule of law and hope the GOP's tactics hoist them on their own petard. Good plan.
Chips O'Toole

Post by Chips O'Toole »

old salt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:18 pm Barr says he'll negotiate with Nadler & Graham after the report is out.

I bet at least the Gang of 8 (or other chairmen & ranking members) will be able to review the unredacted report & file in a SCIF, with no note taking & no staffers. That way, if there's any leaks, Barr will know the likely leakers.

Mueller wasn't hired to produce opposition research. That's what Fusion GPS & MI-6 are for.
Let's be honest. You have no idea what you are talking about, use acronyms whenever you can to try to sound knowledgeable, and have an unhealthy infatuation with leaks and IG Horowitz.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Chips O'Toole wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:25 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:18 pm Barr says he'll negotiate with Nadler & Graham after the report is out.

Let's be honest. You have no idea what you are talking about, use acronyms whenever you can to try to sound knowledgeable, and have an unhealthy infatuation with leaks and IG Horowitz.
Right Chips. You've been so accurate to this point. Confirmation bias.
Chips O'Toole

Post by Chips O'Toole »

old salt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:28 pm Right Chips. You've been so accurate to this point. Confirmation bias.
Thank you. And thanks for your opinions on the proper process for releasing the report -- negotiations with Graham (??), Gang of 8, SCIFs, no staffers, no notes, no leaks, no Fusion GPS. If only we had more than your opinion, and instead some sort of, I don't know, established procedure, that we could follow. Oh well, I guess your opinion is the best we can do here. OR, maybe Barr can just RELEASE THE WHOLE REPORT AND CASE FILE TO THE HOUSE INTELLIGENCE COMMITTEE. But, I guess there's no precedent for that committee getting confidential information. Hmmm. What to do. Let's bring in Lindsay Graham and some SCIFs and maybe IG Horowitz has some time to spare on weekends when not working on the Carter Page matter? Gosh, this is hard.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Chips O'Toole wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:22 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:17 pm Because they'll get there. And the longer they kick the can down the road on handing the full report to Pelosi---as i suggested earlier, and you are suggesting now---the more they'll hammer Trump leading up to the election.

Yep, let's ignore the rule of law and hope the GOP's tactics hoist them on their own petard. Good plan.
I'll bite: what rule of law are you talking about? Cite it, please. They don't have to give the report to Pelosi or anyone else under any law I've heard of in all this mess.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Chips O'Toole wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:41 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:28 pm Right Chips. You've been so accurate to this point. Confirmation bias.
Thank you. And thanks for your opinions on the proper process for releasing the report -- negotiations with Graham (??), Gang of 8, SCIFs, no staffers, no notes, no leaks, no Fusion GPS. If only we had more than your opinion, and instead some sort of, I don't know, established procedure, that we could follow. Oh well, I guess your opinion is the best we can do here. OR, maybe Barr can just RELEASE THE WHOLE REPORT AND CASE FILE TO THE HOUSE INTELLIGENCE COMMITTEE. But, I guess there's no precedent for that committee getting confidential information. Hmmm. What to do. Let's bring in Lindsay Graham and some SCIFs and maybe IG Horowitz has some time to spare on weekends when not working on the Carter Page matter? Gosh, this is hard.
Those are procedures the Intel Comm's have used before.
Recall when Gowdy was the only (R) House Intel Comm member allowed to read the Carter Page FISA warrant, in a DoJ SCIF ?

Barr said in his testimony he will meet with Nadler & Graham after the report is out, to work out a way for Congress members to view the unredacted report. Wait & see what they work out before you throw yourself off a bridge.
Chips O'Toole

Post by Chips O'Toole »

a fan wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:47 pm I'll bite: what rule of law are you talking about? Cite it, please. They don't have to give the report to Pelosi or anyone else under any law I've heard of in all this mess.
This is all backwards thinking. I would ask first what law the AG is relying on to withhold the Report (from the HIC). There is none. His reasons for doing so are blatantly political. So, if there is no legal basis to withhold it, then what? This is a democracy, and the SC and AG work for the people, and this Report is a our work product. We own it. What is going on here? Has everyone lost their ability to process? Barr is basically saying "nothing compels me to hand it over, it's very damaging politically, so I'm not doing it." If you don't see a problem with that, I can't help you.
Chips O'Toole

Post by Chips O'Toole »

old salt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:50 pm Barr said in his testimony he will meet with Nadler & Graham after the report is out, to work out a way for Congress members to view the unredacted report. Wait & see what they work out before you throw yourself off a bridge.
You are truly your own source on this. Barr literally said he had no plan to give the unredacted report to the Committee. That's when he said it would be unfortunate if anyone saw it, because it would only be via leak. Remember? I know you are a leak hound. He is going to redact the entire thing and publicly reveal what he wants. You make stuff up and post it on here, and it is really irresponsible and infuriating. Throw yourself off a bridge, and soon.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Chips O'Toole wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:00 am This is all backwards thinking. I would ask first what law the AG is relying on to withhold the Report (from the HIC). There is none. His reasons for doing so are blatantly political. So, if there is no legal basis to withhold it, then what? This is a democracy, and the SC and AG work for the people, and this Report is a our work product. We own it.
You must be new to this thread----you're literally quoting me from the week it was released. I'm in full agreement that these people work for us, and that we own that document. And like you, I was annoyed that he didn't simply call the Gang of 8 in for a full reading.

What I'm telling you is that there's no direct law compelling him to do that. We'll get it.
Chips O'Toole

Post by Chips O'Toole »

a fan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:22 am What I'm telling you is that there's no direct law compelling him to do that. We'll get it.
Right, it just requires a subpoena and appeals to the US Supreme Court. He has no legal basis to withhold it, but will stonewall and delay for political reasons until forced to turn it over by the Judiciary. Sounds like a proper-functioning AG to me. We should see the report by 2030.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Chips O'Toole wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:16 am
old salt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:50 pm Barr said in his testimony he will meet with Nadler & Graham after the report is out, to work out a way for Congress members to view the unredacted report. Wait & see what they work out before you throw yourself off a bridge.
You are truly your own source on this. Barr literally said he had no plan to give the unredacted report to the Committee. That's when he said it would be unfortunate if anyone saw it, because it would only be via leak. Remember? I know you are a leak hound. He is going to redact the entire thing and publicly reveal what he wants. You make stuff up and post it on here, and it is really irresponsible and infuriating. Throw yourself off a bridge, and soon.
I watched Barr testify. He twice said this, when asked about redactions (from C-SPAN transcript) :
AS I SAID, I'M GLAD TO TALK TO CHAIRMAN NADLER AND CHAIRMAN GRAHAM AS TO WHETHER THEY FEEL THEY NEED MORE INFORMATION AND SEE IF THERE'S A WAY WE COULD ACCOMMODATE THAT.
He didn't say no. He said wait & see what's in the report, then he'll negotiate with Nadler & Graham if they need more information.

Barr's answer about leaks being unfortunate reminded me of how DoJ made the FISA warrant application available to Gowdy & Schiff.
Somewhat similar situations. Limited number of "eyes only, viewed in a SCIF.
Last edited by old salt on Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Chips O'Toole wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:32 am
a fan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:22 am What I'm telling you is that there's no direct law compelling him to do that. We'll get it.
Right, it just requires a subpoena and appeals to the US Supreme Court. He has no legal basis to withhold it, but will stonewall and delay for political reasons until forced to turn it over by the Judiciary. Sounds like a proper-functioning AG to me. We should see the report by 2030.
So file one. I'm not holding you back. I can assure you that I think just as dimly of Trump as any other American.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Fox News legal analyst Gregg Jarrett said Tuesday on “Hannity” that Attorney General William Barr's review of the Trump-Russia collusion investigation will lead to a criminal investigation.
“A headline today is that William Barr's personally reviewing the conduct of the FBI in launching the Trump Russia collusion hoax. He knows and there is a plethora of evidence that the process by the FBI was corrupted by political bias and personal animus,” Jarrett told Sean Hannity.
“There was never any credible evidence to launch the investigation and Lisa Page verified that in her own testimony, Comey grudgingly admitted it. And then they made matters worse, they lie to FISA judges to obtain a wiretap warrant. So all of this I think William Barr is going to investigate,” Jarrett said.
Another guy with a crystal ball

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gregg- ... estigation
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Rule 6(e)(3)(D)(iii)) I suppose the report is riddled with GJ testimonies and "IF" the report is released prematurely to a non gov't lawyer actively pursuing a crime that could be trouble. Otherwise there is no need to to release until scrubbed.

An attorney for the government may disclose any grand-jury matter involving foreign intelligence, counterintelligence (as defined in 50 U.S.C. §401a3003), or foreign intelligence information (as defined in Rule 6(e)(3)(D)(iii)) to any federal law enforcement, intelligence, protective, immigration, national defense, or national security official to assist the official receiving the information in the performance of that official's duties. An attorney for the government may also disclose any grand-jury matter involving, within the United States or elsewhere, a threat of attack or other grave hostile acts of a foreign power or its agent, a threat of domestic or international sabotage or terrorism, or clandestine intelligence gathering activities by an intelligence service or network of a foreign power or by its agent, to any appropriate federal, state, state subdivision, Indian tribal, or foreign government official,

I can see how all this can be messy and misconstrued. Maybe...just maybe, the left wants it released early for the sole purpose of proving Barr is not fit to be the AG becuase he did not follow Rule 6? I don't know, but things are seldom what they seem to be in DC.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

One would think that a report that "totally exonerates" the DOPUS would be a thing he, Barr, and the entire GOP would be clamoring to have released ASAP...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

dislaxxic wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:01 am One would think that a report that "totally exonerates" the DOPUS would be a thing he, Barr, and the entire GOP would be clamoring to have released ASAP...
Not if it breaks the law diss, that was the point of my commentary on my last post.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “POLITICS”