media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: media matters

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:08 pm U of W wins it 695-555. Ella with the pink hair for U of W is a sharp gal, cute too.
BYU makes it to the quarter finals though by outscoring Florida, winners of the
first round game. Still alive...well still alive if the show doesn't follow U of SC's
lead and cancels the future scheduled competition.
👍
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:35 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:28 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:05 pm
HooDat wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:58 pm It is certainly not what I believe. More importantly I don't think it is what DMac believes either. I took his cry wolf analogy to apply to the media not the player. I don't recall him ever saying he didn't believe her - What I recall him saying is that given the information that was coming out (or more importantly NOT coming out) that he didn't think it happened.

That isn't an accusation against her - there is a big difference between being wrong and being untruthful. She has every right to talk about what she heard, or thought she heard. A newspaper has an obligation to verify facts before reporting - particularly on something that has become as inflammatory as race issues are in this country. The NYT loved the narrative too much to want to verify the facts. Given the NYT's track record, my presumption is that it was because they didn't want to take the chance that it wasn't true.
👍

Do you know anyone personally that has experienced this type of stuff? I do. So, I don’t chalk it up to lying (until proven otherwise).
When did trust but verify disappear as common sense?
When a black female from Ellicot City, St. John’s College Prep, and Duke claim that they were slurred…I usually don’t trust it. Why would I?
Well, true in this discussion but it’s a much broader problem than just this problem these days.

I will openly admit I was skeptical of the Duke situation as presented early on. People are capable of bad stuff but the circumstances just didn’t fit as person who went to a entitled college full of party kids with less to lose than the Duke players. Thankfully my intuition in that one was correct but i did emphasize details, luring myself in the position of being in a house party like that.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:25 pm
“As a result of our investigation, we have lifted the ban on the fan who was identified as having uttered racial slurs during the match. We have not found any evidence that that individual engaged in such an activity. BYU sincerely apologizes to that fan for any hardship the ban has caused.
This is after listening to the crowd and filtering out as much noise as they could, never did they hear the N word.
You lean toward believing this happened despite there being no evidence that it did and I don't, so be it. If evidence
appears that it did I will gladly admit that I was wrong. So far none of the 5,500 fans there or any teammates say
they heard it, hence my position.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence of course you know right.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:16 pm
“As a result of our investigation, we have lifted the ban on the fan who was identified as having uttered racial slurs during the match. We have not found any evidence that that individual engaged in such an activity. BYU sincerely apologizes to that fan for any hardship the ban has caused.
This is after listening to the crowd and filtering out as much noise as they could, never did they hear the N word.
You lean toward believing this happened despite there being no evidence that it did and I don't, so be it. If evidence
appears that it did I will gladly admit that I was wrong. So far none of the 5,500 fans there or any teammates say
Remember Sidat-Singh! Another liar. He wasn’t no Hindu!
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:14 pm
HooDat wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:58 pm It is certainly not what I believe. More importantly I don't think it is what DMac believes either. I took his cry wolf analogy to apply to the media not the player. I don't recall him ever saying he didn't believe her - What I recall him saying is that given the information that was coming out (or more importantly NOT coming out) that he didn't think it happened.

That isn't an accusation against her - there is a big difference between being wrong and being untruthful. She has every right to talk about what she heard, or thought she heard. A newspaper has an obligation to verify facts before reporting - particularly on something that has become as inflammatory as race issues are in this country. The NYT loved the narrative too much to want to verify the facts. Given the NYT's track record, my presumption is that it was because they didn't want to take the chance that it wasn't true.
👍

Do you know anyone personally that has experienced this type of stuff? I do. So, I don’t chalk it up to lying (until proven otherwise).
When a black female from Ellicot City, St. John’s College Prep, and Duke claim that they were slurred…I usually don’t trust it. Why would I?
Well, true in this discussion but it’s a much broader problem than just this problem these days.

I will openly admit I was skeptical of the Duke situation as presented early on. People are capable of bad stuff but the circumstances just didn’t fit as person who went to a entitled college full of party kids with less to lose than the Duke players. Thankfully my intuition in that one was correct but i did emphasize details, luring myself in the position of being in a house party like that.
I never imagined that the DA was crooked in the Duke case. I didn’t rule it out but like most things, I wanted to wait to see more. The one instance where I quickly determined the person was guilty was in the OJ Simpson case. I was on LI and headed to lunch when the news broke. My first comment was OJ did it! The next update said OJ was returning from Chicago and I said, well if he was in Chicago he could not have done it….then I heard he basically killed those people and left. I remember OJ beating his first wife when I was a kid. It stuck with me…..but hey, there wasn’t enough evidence to convict him and the gloves didn’t fit, so it wasn’t him. :lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:16 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:16 pm
Remember Sidat-Singh! Another liar. He wasn’t no Hindu!
I mean if that’s all it took there’d be a few bodies the world would never find again that I can think of.

But to this discussion, I understand wanting to be sure to avoid the very rare fraud or mistake in these cases but if you’re going to take the position that someone who makes a claim of being victimized by racial epithets or whatnot, it sort of follows that the same person would develop a reasonable and defensible reason why they think that person would do such a thing as make a major accusation in public and also consider the stakes and consequences for each party. I don’t see any of that on Dmacs side other than “hey guys let’s wait to make sure the media hasn’t made a mistake here” which is sort of obvious but should still go in with the presumption of honest and transparent attempts to deliver the facts not that the reporting is flawed and we have to prove it’s right or the story is untrue if I can’t be compelled to believe it from the media.

Tawana brawley and Duke lacrosse are two out of what thousands of times these things actually did happen, many times where the offender got away because it couldn’t be proven beyond the victims word)
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:25 pm

👍

I never imagined that the DA was crooked in the Duke case. I didn’t rule it out but like most things, I wanted to wait to see more. The one instance where I quickly determined the person was guilty was in the OJ Simpson case. I was on LI and headed to lunch when the news broke. My first comment was OJ did it! The next update said OJ was returning from Chicago and I said, well if he was in Chicago he could not have done it….then I heard he basically killed those people and left. I remember OJ beating his first wife when I was a kid. It stuck with me…..but hey, there wasn’t enough evidence to convict him and the gloves didn’t fit, so it wasn’t him. :lol: :lol:
Oh yeah OJ did that s**t!

And I even didn’t mind the entertainment from the pearl clutching rich southern camifornia golf club crowd that doc slobbers over so much going crazy at the verdict and just thinking OJ had a team of pros (even with Cochran’s antics) against a bunch of less than medicine state district attorney focus folks and it was so obvious to me as a 14-15yr old that the state was so overmatched in talent and skill and working with a very weak police department so it was no shock. That’s how rich white folks have been doing it for years.

I will say, aside from the absurd entertainment of OJs post trial existence, I sort of give him a twisted credit for doing it by hand and the publicly fighting it the way he did. Compare that with Rae Carruth and at least he put in the work in a opaque and direct manner…

On the Duke thing the story just didn’t make sense from the party. If it had been more a smaller group in private but it was just too much FI what she described happened in front of too many of them. Didn’t sound right. My initial guess was she/they showed up all gassed out from heroin or whatever and weren’t exactly Paula Patton and Ilfenesh Hadera (know you know that name TLD!) and the Duke kids were annoyed, a bit drunk and entitled and made a number of jerk comments and whatnot that was uncalled for and wrong but far from gang rape in public. Sure enough that was 90% correct.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:42 pm

👍

And I even didn’t mind the entertainment from the pearl clutching rich southern camifornia golf club crowd that doc slobbers over so much going crazy at the verdict and just thinking OJ had a team of pros (even with Cochran’s antics) against a bunch of less than medicine state district attorney focus folks and it was so obvious to me as a 14-15yr old that the state was so overmatched in talent and skill and working with a very weak police department so it was no shock. That’s how rich white folks have been doing it for years.

I will say, aside from the absurd entertainment of OJs post trial existence, I sort of give him a twisted credit for doing it by hand and the publicly fighting it the way he did. Compare that with Rae Carruth and at least he put in the work in a opaque and direct manner…

On the Duke thing the story just didn’t make sense from the party. If it had been more a smaller group in private but it was just too much FI what she described happened in front of too many of them. Didn’t sound right. My initial guess was she/they showed up all gassed out from heroin or whatever and weren’t exactly Paula Patton and Ilfenesh Hadera (know you know that name TLD!) and the Duke kids were annoyed, a bit drunk and entitled and made a number of jerk comments and whatnot that was uncalled for and wrong but far from gang rape in public. Sure enough that was 90% correct.
An old friend was an Uber driver. He had to drive around Marcia Clark about 8 years ago. He tried to get her drunk so that he could screw her. He wanted a story to tell!

BTW, I knew Jesse Smollett was lying. Anyone can search the threads to confirm it…. His story did not make any sense based on what I know…. His sister is a fox though.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:05 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:42 pm

👍

An old friend was an Uber driver. He had to drive around Marcia Clark about 8 years ago. He tried to get her drunk so that he could screw her. He wanted a story to tell!

BTW, I knew Jesse Smollett was lying. Anyone can search the threads. His story did not make any sense based on what I know…. His sister is a fox though.
I get it. Would’ve done the same. Anything for a story. When we’re dead that’s all we’ve got is a poem to be told in the next version of Spoon River Anthology.

Guess that’s the problem sometimes is one or two rare examples are enough to provide air cover for people to deny every event that’s similar rather than start from a place of belief and trust and then confirm.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:11 pm Don't typically read it, had no idea who the author is.
Read it and couldn't find much in there I disagreed with.
Went a little overboard at the end but I've heard enough
from Jemele to not find his description of her beyond belief.
Did you take a look at the other articles this guy has written?
Pretty darn wild-eyed hard right wing.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
DMac

Post by DMac »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:45 am
DMac wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:11 pm Don't typically read it, had no idea who the author is.
Nope, really don't care what he has to say. This one just popped up on my computer like our computers feed us and I read it. I didn't even realize it was just an opinion article. My original post said, "The latest latest", then I went back to check to see who the author was and changed it to "Another person's opinion". It's really nothing more than a repeat of other articles reporting the same with a bunch of daggers thrown at others for the sensationalism factor. Not so atypical of what we get from the media today.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:27 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:45 am
Nope, really don't care what he has to say. This one just popped up on my computer like our computers feed us and I read it. I didn't even realize it was just an opinion article. My original post said, "The latest latest", then I went back to check to see who the author was and changed it to "Another man's opinion". It's really nothing more than a repeat of other articles reporting the same with a bunch of daggers thrown at others for the sensationalism factor. Not so atypical of what we get from the media today.
Yes, just a rehash with a bunch of hyperbolic BS thrown in...click bait for the "anti-woke" claimers, closet racists, and not in the closet racists.

His other articles make clear what he does for a "living".

That's why I flagged it for you.
I'd do the same about a click bait flamer from the hard left.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Listen to this (I don't watch any news so this is the first time I'm seeing this), MDlax, it makes me even more believe that this is a bullschidt story, makes absolutely no sense.
at least one fan in the crowd
Insinuation, for effect, that there was more than one.
Ratings and entertainment, twisted facts welcomed.
Racially heckled throughout the entirety of the match
Back to you and me. There is no one in the crowd for the entirety of the
match who would get up and put a stop to this? Heckled for the entirety of
the match yet only one person heard it, not even another close by teammate.
The slurs and comments turned into threats
While all stood by and said and did nothing. Threats heard by one person on
the court, no one sitting around the person(s) making the threats heard any
threats, nor did any other player on the court. If the game were at RIT and
and the stands were filled with deaf people I could buy that. Here, not so much.
BYU coaching staff were made aware of the incident during the game, but
failed to take the necessary steps to stop the unacceptable behavior and create
a safe environment
Unacceptable behavior not seen or heard by anyone else. How do you stop what
no one else is seeing or hearing?
had to struggle just to get through the rest of the game
More for effect.
The smell of a rat is getting stronger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goUjcofusKY
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:24 pm Listen to this (I don't watch any news so this is the first time I'm seeing this), MDlax, it makes me even more believe that this is a bullschidt story, makes absolutely no sense.
and the stands were filled with deaf people I could buy that. Here, not so much.
a safe environment
More for effect.
Yes, sounds hyperbolic, but I just think it's really unusual for someone like this gal to make something up out of whole cloth.

From that other reporting, it sounds like the one fan identified as possibly saying something did not do so in the last game, given the policeman's saying he stood next to him and he didn't...but does that mean no one else did?

My take remains that she heard a slur, told her teammate, told her coach, who told the BYU coach, who then responded and got a police presence, but there may well have been someone else in another part of the stands who then did so again and more.

Of course, there are those instances in which someone lies about their experience...just pretty darn rare and why this game, why now?

Did she have some sort of mental breakdown that through her off her entire life trajectory? could be.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:48 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:24 pm Listen to this (I don't watch any news so this is the first time I'm seeing this), MDlax, it makes me even more believe that this is a bullschidt story, makes absolutely no sense.
a safe environment
More for effect.
Yes, sounds hyperbolic, but I just think it's really unusual for someone like this gal to make something up out of whole cloth.

From that other reporting, it sounds like the one fan identified as possibly saying something did not do so in the last game, given the policeman's saying he stood next to him and he didn't...but does that mean no one else did?

My take remains that she heard a slur, told her teammate, told her coach, who told the BYU coach, who then responded and got a police presence, but there may well have been someone else in another part of the stands who then did so again and more.

Of course, there are those instances in which someone lies about their experience...just pretty darn rare and why this game, why now?

Did she have some sort of mental breakdown that through her off her entire life trajectory? could be.
Given where this girl grew up and went to school, I would be shocked if she all of a sudden decided to cry wolf. I know too many girls (and boys) that fit her profile (Volleyball player at Swarthmore in particular) and it’s inconsistent with their life experience to make up a lie about being slurred. All I can say is it seems the guy identified didn’t do anything. This is like the Syracuse fraternity being falsely accused of slurring a student because it turned out to be a guest of a fraternity member….nit quite the same but the gist of it.

Anyway, right wing media will have their way with her.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

No, it's nothing at all like that, this is a completely different and separate situation, it stands all by itself.
You're hell bent on bringing other incidences into it, all Cuse of course, none of which mean a damn thing.
How bout you deal with this case and the facts we know.
I don't believe this girl is lying and agree with MDlax that this is a nice girl. What I believe, which I've said
before, is that she misheard what someone from the crowd hollered. What she thinks she heard and what was
said are two different things. Now enter the media's typical rush to get a story out there, fact checking be
damned, and this is what you end up with.
Heckled the entire game, threats, no one from BYU did anything?
C'mon, this is bullschidt.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:28 pm No, it's nothing at all like that, this is a completely different and separate situation, it stands all by itself.
You're hell bent on bringing other incidences into it, all Cuse of course, none of which mean a damn thing.
How bout you deal with this case and the facts we know.
I don't believe this girl is lying and agree with MDlax that this is a nice girl. What I believe, which I've said
before, is that she misheard what someone from the crowd hollered. What she thinks she heard and what was
said are two different things. Now enter the media's typical rush to get a story out there, fact checking be
damned, and this is what you end up with.
Heckled the entire game, threats, no one from BYU did anything?
C'mon, this is bullschidt.
I am wondering where all the commotion was. You “believe” she misheard. I “believe” she may not have. Crazier things have happened. We saw a man get shot out jogging and nobody said anything for six months.

The Syracuse frat was wrongly accused….yes or no? I agree, press cried wolf.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Watch the entire game and you'll still be wondering.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:16 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:48 pm
a safe environment
More for effect.

Given where this girl grew up and went to school, I would be shocked if she all of a sudden decided to cry wolf. I know too many girls (and boys) that fit her profile (Volleyball player at Swarthmore in particular) and it’s inconsistent with their life experience to make up a lie about being slurred. All I can say is it seems the guy identified didn’t do anything. This is like the Syracuse fraternity being falsely accused of slurring a student because it turned out to be a guest of a fraternity member….nit quite the same but the gist of it.

Anyway, right wing media will have their way with her.
Speaking of Syracuse, this also never happened. #deepfake

https://www.collegecrosse.com/platform/ ... lent-start
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Return to “POLITICS”