media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
DMac

Re: media matters

Post by DMac »

Serving at the 51:13 mark and the 2:00:20 mark.
Four teammates nearby on the 2nd serve.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7yU_Lx-H28
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Wonder what the incident rates of people being called the n-word vs. people making up that they've been called the n-word? Obviously the latter does happen once in a while, along with false rape accusations, etc.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Did you two, MDlax and TLD, who are pretty much for certain that this story is true as reported by our reliable media, check out the two times (the only two times in the game she served) the victim of verbal abuse and racism served the ball? Not much to see or hear on the first serve. On the second one, at the 2:00:20 mark it is apparent that someone or something in the crowd drew the attention of her teammates, #4 and the girl in black. If it was the N word being yelled out at their teammate, a girl that they would probably claim is "family" and like a sister as is often heard from players on teams, do you think either one of them would step up and say yes, I heard the N word being yelled at my teammate?
JFTR, I watch a bit of w-volleyball, these girls are fantastic...6'2", 6'4", 6'6" and nothing but good. I find it very difficult to believe that in a crowd of 5,500 volleyball fans that nobody would step up and say yes they heard N word being hollered out, let alone not immediately saying something to the person doing the hollering. Not all that long ago I told, right here, about my experience with a black guy using the N word, as blacks do, out on the deck of my favorite watering hole. Couldn't say the word enough and was on the loud side about it. I went over to him and asked him to stop with N word stuff as I really don't like the word, it really bothers me a whole lot and I'd appreciate it if he'd stop using it. It was not a heated and/or confrontational situation, I handled it pretty calmly and respectfully and he did too. He apologized and said he wouldn't use the word there anymore, we shook hands and that was that. Whole point is, I'm not just saying I would immediately say something to a person yelling out the N word at a player on a ball court, I would and I find it awfully hard to believe that there was no one nearby the person doing the yelling who wouldn't do the same or step up and say you're damn right I heard it. No one.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

BYU went public yesterday saying they found no evidence after their investigation - ESPN just reported it...

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... all-player

I'd expect more media sources to report this going forward.

What might be interesting is any comments from Duke, its and/or women's volleyball team both coaches and players now and then compare that to what they told you at the time. Ditto for the same at BYU. Hard to believe they were not contacted at the time.
Last edited by Kismet on Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:30 am Did you two, MDlax and TLD, who are pretty much for certain that this story is true as reported by our reliable media, check out the two times (the only two times in the game she served) the victim of verbal abuse and racism served the ball? Not much to see or hear on the first serve. On the second one, at the 2:00:20 mark it is apparent that someone or something in the crowd drew the attention of her teammates, #4 and the girl in black. If it was the N word being yelled out at their teammate, a girl that they would probably claim is "family" and like a sister as is often heard from players on teams, do you think either one of them would step up and say yes, I heard the N word being yelled at my teammate?
JFTR, I watch a bit of w-volleyball, these girls are fantastic...6'2", 6'4", 6'6" and nothing but good. I find it very difficult to believe that in a crowd of 5,500 volleyball fans that nobody would step up and say yes they heard N word being hollered out, let alone not immediately saying something to the person doing the hollering. Not all that long ago I told, right here, about my experience with a black guy using the N word, as blacks do, out on the deck of my favorite watering hole. Couldn't say the word enough and was on the loud side about it. I went over to him and asked him to stop with N word stuff as I really don't like the word, it really bothers me a whole lot and I'd appreciate it if he'd stop using it. It was not a heated and/or confrontational situation, I handled it pretty calmly and respectfully and he did too. He apologized and said he wouldn't use the word there anymore, we shook hands and that was that. Whole point is, I'm not just saying I would immediately say something to a person yelling out the N word at a player on a ball court, I would and I find it awfully hard to believe that there was no one nearby the person doing the yelling who wouldn't do the same or step up and say you're damn right I heard it. No one.
DMAC,

I believe I said I don’t know if it is not true. BTW, OJ was innocent.

“We have found no evidence that that individual engaged in such activity”.

It’s a hoax.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Since there isn’t much of a history heretofore, I look forward to watching the future championing of the wrongly accused here…I plan to make note of it.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

I decided to start here:

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2022/01/a ... rison.html

Not sure I read a peep about it.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:19 am Since there isn’t much of a history heretofore, I look forward to watching the future championing of the wrongly accused here…I plan to make note of it.
Ah, yes, you said I don't know if it's true with the same sarcasm as is typical with a TLD post as in the above.
You will be quick to accept this story as the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth as reported by
the press who might have jumped on the story a little too quickly and before checking any facts which is pretty
much the norm in our world of who is the first report outweighing facts and accuracy.

I am on the same page as Kismet here, this will be very interesting.
My bold.
Kismet wrote
What might be interesting is any comments from Duke, its and/or women's volleyball team both coaches and players now and then compare that to what they told you at the time. Ditto for the same at BYU. Hard to believe they were not contacted at the time.
You can find hundreds of stories of wrongfully accused, not restricted to color, wrongfully imprisoned too, not restricted to color.
It's definitely a problem. If you want to post a hundred of them, knock yourself out but none of them will change the facts of this incident. We shall see where it all leads. From what I can see so far it appears as if it's a shame that Nifong can no longer practice law.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:01 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:19 am Since there isn’t much of a history heretofore, I look forward to watching the future championing of the wrongly accused here…I plan to make note of it.
Ah, yes, you said I don't know if it's true with the same sarcasm as is typical with a TLD post as in the above.
You will be quick to accept this story as the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth as reported by
the press who might have jumped on the story a little too quickly and before checking any facts which is pretty
much the norm in our world of who is the first report outweighing facts and accuracy.

I am on the same page as Kismet here, this will be very interesting.
My bold.
Kismet wrote
You can find hundreds of stories of wrongfully accused, not restricted to color, wrongfully imprisoned too, not restricted to color.
It's definitely a problem. If you want to post a hundred of them, knock yourself out but none of them will change the facts of this incident. We shall see where it all leads. From what I can see so far it appears as if it's a shame that Nifong can no longer practice law.
All I know is that the guy kicked out of the BYU game didn’t do anything. We agree on that. That’s what the article said.

This cat was wrongfully accused:

https://www.change.org/p/syracuse-unive ... llegations

I remember your posts.

My team manager from college was killed by his frat brother. He missed a year of school, came back and choked another kid.
“I wish you would!”
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

TLD - that is one of hundreds (or more) such horrible occurrences. History is full of even worse examples of glaring racism sending innocent black men to jail - one of the more recent would be Bill Clinton's war on crime that put many thousands of young black men in jail (private prisons no less) for the crime of smoking pot or using the wrong kind of cocaine: crack = "bad" -vs- powdered cocaine = "good" (I'll let you figure out which form of the drug was preferred by politicians and their kids...).

I understand that the underlying topic is racism - but this particular situation does not have to be seen through a lens of race.

Is it not possible that the whole thing is a misunderstanding? It has to strike you as odd that in this time and age that no-one in that crowd is confirming what the player heard. I mean the only other word I can think of that would attract as much attention is if a spectator was yelling the c-word at her. Based on the now known facts, someone raising honest questions should not be immediately shouted down with innuendos of racism.

Comparisons to shutting down women bringing rape accusations is inflammatory and way off-base. Are you telling me that if a woman accuses a man of raping her in front of a stadium of thousands of people and not one of them saw or heard it - that we are under some kind of obligation to just take her word over that of the thousands of people who were there? That to question whether she is right is some kind of Me-Too violation? Sorry not playing that game.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:14 pm TLD - that is one of hundreds (or more) such horrible occurrences. History is full of even worse examples of glaring racism sending innocent black men to jail - one of the more recent would be Bill Clinton's war on crime that put many thousands of young black men in jail (private prisons no less) for the crime of smoking pot or using the wrong kind of cocaine: crack = "bad" -vs- powdered cocaine = "good" (I'll let you figure out which form of the drug was preferred by politicians and their kids...).

I understand that the underlying topic is racism - but this particular situation does not have to be seen through a lens of race.

Is it not possible that the whole thing is a misunderstanding? It has to strike you as odd that in this time and age that no-one in that crowd is confirming what the player heard. I mean the only other word I can think of that would attract as much attention is if a spectator was yelling the c-word at her. Based on the now known facts, someone raising honest questions should not be immediately shouted down with innuendos of racism.

Comparisons to shutting down women bringing rape accusations is inflammatory and way off-base. Are you telling me that if a woman accuses a man of raping her in front of a stadium of thousands of people and not one of them saw or heard it - that we are under some kind of obligation to just take her word over that of the thousands of people who were there? That to question whether she is right is some kind of Me-Too violation? Sorry not playing that game.
You miss my point. As does DMAC. I believe I said I was at an event in which there seemed to be a misunderstanding. So being called N*…r has nothing to do with race and this story has been circulating in right wing media because the girl plays volleyball? Really?

The guy kicked out didn’t do anything. That’s what the article said.
“I wish you would!”
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:37 pm You miss my point. As does DMAC. I believe I said I was at an event in which there seemed to be a misunderstanding. So being called N*…r has nothing to do with race and this story has been circulating in right wing media because the girl plays volleyball? Really?

The guy kicked out didn’t do anything. That’s what the article said.
:oops:
rosanne rosanna danna.jpg
rosanne rosanna danna.jpg (13.69 KiB) Viewed 492 times

DMac

Post by DMac »

I'm not missing jack schidt, TLD.
TLD wrote
Another angry black lady making sh*t up again. Did you see the malice at the Palace?
TLD wrote
They may have got the wrong guy means it was made up.
TLD wrote
Throwing the wrong guy out doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Wouldn’t be so quick to make that call as you seem to be. As for what you would do….many people stand by silent when sh*t happens.
When you heard wolf being cried, you were quick to see the wolf despite there being no tracks or sounds of one...just someone howling and making noise.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:14 pm I'm not missing jack schidt, TLD.
TLD wrote
Another angry black lady making sh*t up again. Did you see the malice at the Palace?
TLD wrote
TLD wrote
Throwing the wrong guy out doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Wouldn’t be so quick to make that call as you seem to be. As for what you would do….many people stand by silent when sh*t happens.
When you heard wolf being cried, you were quick to see the wolf despite there being no tracks or sounds of one...just someone howling and making noise.
What did I say that is factually incorrect? Crying wolf? That’s what you want to go with here? “Crying wolf”? “Howling” to make noise?
“I wish you would!”
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:25 pm
TLD wrote
TLD wrote
TLD wrote
What did I say that is factually incorrect? Crying wolf? That’s what you want to go with here? “Crying wolf”? “Howling” to make noise?
yeah - I tried to give you an off-ramp. But, if you did not intend to throw shade at DMac, you should probably re-read your posts and think about the implications.

Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:36 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:25 pm
TLD wrote
TLD wrote
TLD wrote
yeah - I tried to give you an off-ramp. But, if you did not intend to throw shade at DMac, you should probably re-read your posts and think about the implications.
I don’t need to re-read my posts. I gave the story the benefit of the doubt and didn’t assume that the girl was lying. I still don’t know if she was “lying”. What is your understanding of crying wolf? DMAC’s usage of the analogy seems to point to a fact that black people go around crying wolf and folks believes it. Is that what you believe, black folk cry wolf relative to real instances? That’s your take also?
“I wish you would!”
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

It is certainly not what I believe. More importantly I don't think it is what DMac believes either. I took his cry wolf analogy to apply to the media not the player. I don't recall him ever saying he didn't believe her - What I recall him saying is that given the information that was coming out (or more importantly NOT coming out) that he didn't think it happened.

That isn't an accusation against her - there is a big difference between being wrong and being untruthful. She has every right to talk about what she heard, or thought she heard. A newspaper has an obligation to verify facts before reporting - particularly on something that has become as inflammatory as race issues are in this country. The NYT loved the narrative too much to want to verify the facts. Given the NYT's track record, my presumption is that it was because they didn't want to take the chance that it wasn't true.

Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:58 pm It is certainly not what I believe. More importantly I don't think it is what DMac believes either. I took his cry wolf analogy to apply to the media not the player. I don't recall him ever saying he didn't believe her - What I recall him saying is that given the information that was coming out (or more importantly NOT coming out) that he didn't think it happened.

That isn't an accusation against her - there is a big difference between being wrong and being untruthful. She has every right to talk about what she heard, or thought she heard. A newspaper has an obligation to verify facts before reporting - particularly on something that has become as inflammatory as race issues are in this country. The NYT loved the narrative too much to want to verify the facts. Given the NYT's track record, my presumption is that it was because they didn't want to take the chance that it wasn't true.
👍

Do you know anyone personally that has experienced this type of stuff? I do. So, I don’t chalk it up to lying (until proven otherwise).
“I wish you would!”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Having worked in the media space for a career here's my hopefully informed two cents - There may be something going on but it may have an explanation - I'd expect the journalists covering these things to ask a LOT of questions to everyone and, of course, to corroborate everything they are told including the athlete who made the accusation - shouldn't stop there - need to include her teammates, coaches, administrators (ditto for BYU). To the degree they could confirm - spectators who can prove they were there. Have to believe, that was done to some degree, at least. BYU AD and admin did not deny anything and conducted an investigation, the results of which they just published.

BYU initially seemed to go along which suggest to me they might have thought there was something to it all - but after you do your due diligence and don't find anything you're obligated to tell your audience that IMHO - I have a feeling this was local coverage and the lawyers weren't involved.

CNN published this today

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/09/us/duke- ... index.html

Duke University Vice President and Director of Athletics Nina King released a statement Friday following BYU’s statement.

“The 18 members of the Duke University volleyball team are exceptionally strong women who represent themselves, their families, and Duke University with the utmost integrity,” King said. “We unequivocally stand with and champion them, especially when their character is called into question.”

As far as I can tell, none of them (except the young lady who made the claim) have neither corroborated nor overtly denied what occurred. The above statement does neither.
Last edited by Kismet on Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

HooDat is right on the money with what I meant by crying wolf, TLD.

Return to “POLITICS”