Dartmouth Men's Lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FannOLax

Re: Dartmouth Men's Lacrosse

Post by FannOLax »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:34 pm Goalie wants to major in marine bio, any Div. I lacrosse playing colleges have that major? Ohio State? Dartmouth? Harvard? Maryland? exactly
Maryland, yes. Also Boston U, Rutgers, Cornell, Hofstra, Duke and North Carolina.

https://marinebio.org/careers/us-schools/
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Jenks of course an All-America. Steve was crafty working the crease. Seemed slow (was not). And I'm not sure I ever saw him propel a shot faster than, like, 31mph. That being said, for every shot he took, he scored 1.1 goals. Very, very high scoring % per try. It got rough and tumble in that crease back in the day. Give the biggest football lineman a stick, and tell him to - between grunts and eating live squirrels - to "Check Necks!" and "Clear the Crease!". It was rarely "Check Sticks!", or they were purposefully missing...

The photo of Coach Bill Ritch being knocked off the bench with a delighted grin cannot be found...as it DOES NOT EXIST! (can you imagine?!?! :shock: ).

Ah, those halcyon days (what I can remember of them...)...
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:33 pm
Drcthru wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:07 pm Dartmouth is coed today. [Joke deleted] :roll:
As a guy who married the gal he met Freshman Week at Dartmouth, married now nearly 39 years, the abundance of women on campus may have been an issue in ye olden times but for at least the last 3 decades women have outnumbered the men.

In our day, there was some weird dynamic of not dating a Dartmouth woman (this was shortly after coeducation and still 3:1) but I didn't get the memo. All I knew was that the gals were pretty awesome.

Mine, 5'11" brunette, Junior Miss of Massachusetts, valedictorian, athlete, musician, put herself through school...Summa, founder of 2nd sorority KKG, HBS, Bain...the question was only how did I get so lucky? Still trying to find that answer.

But by the time we graduated the ratio was nearing 50:50 and the dating scene had near normalized.

And from casual observation, there's a plethora of opportunity to find someone these days. Unless you're a total troll, and even then there's probably a match.
Hey, share! I did on the Dud pic! :D

I regularly get to the Hanover plain, the last time being a few weeks ago on a regular Monday, checking out the new Hood Museum. I'm very important and impressive, and when I win the Powerball I'm going to give Dartmouth a building, so I got a private tour on a closed day. But I digress. Since assessing beauty is my business, I am pleased to report that the females of the species which I might have happened to accidentally glance at in a completely non-lascivious, non-creepy, 100% innocent, I have a teenaged daughter, middle-aged dad kind of way were, for the most part, quite - and I'll use some SAT words here - comely, with ability to both conjurate, and invocate nostalgia for those halcyon days.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:34 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:20 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:00 am
seriously? wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:42 pm I would blame the parents. How many parents from Long Island or MD want to drive ALL the way up to NH for a game. Truth be told, do parent need to be at every game?? Even visiting the college for a swing through is out of the way. How's the financial aid? Despite what everyone thinks about lacrosse families, financial aid can still be a huge factor in school selection.
Same drive time from LI to Dartmouth as it is to the Maryland Beltways, and you know it. The college colors are green, right? Maybe they should recruit better and NOT listen to certain clubs. Just saying. Kinda like Michigan, mostly, they are leaving the best beers in the fridge. Heck, willing to bet the U of New Hampshire club team could beat them.
Now that's over the line.
We're playing much improved ball, but can't seem to win FO's.

But I agree re drive time for an Island or Upstate kid, much less Conn or Mass.
Over the line? You evah seen UNH play? Seriously, have you?

Goalie wants to major in marine bio, any Div. I lacrosse playing colleges have that major? Ohio State? Dartmouth? Harvard? Maryland? exactly
:roll:
UNH has a perfectly fine MCLA team, 7-4 in 2018. They have a hot team this year, though, so might go further. Not to be insulting in the least to them or their opponents, but this really isn't comparable. But it's great that kids are finding an opportunity to play a game they love.

I played against some very fine UNH teams back when they had a D1 varsity.

BTW, yes, you can major in Marine Biology at Dartmouth, internships in Woods Hole, etc.
I'd assume all the Ivies.

Have no idea about UMD or Ohio state.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Drcthru wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:07 pm Dartmouth is coed today. [Joke deleted] :roll:
As a guy who married the gal he met Freshman Week at Dartmouth, married now nearly 39 years, the abundance of women on campus may have been an issue in ye olden times but for at least the last 3 decades women have outnumbered the men.

In our day, there was some weird dynamic of not dating a Dartmouth woman (this was shortly after coeducation and still 3:1) but I didn't get the memo. All I knew was that the gals were pretty awesome.

Mine, 5'11" brunette, Junior Miss of Massachusetts, valedictorian, athlete, musician, put herself through school...Summa, founder of 2nd sorority KKG, HBS, Bain...the question was only how did I get so lucky? Still trying to find that answer.

But by the time we graduated the ratio was nearing 50:50 and the dating scene had near normalized.

And from casual observation, there's a plethora of opportunity to find someone these days. Unless you're a total troll, and even then there's probably a match.

I regularly get to the Hanover plain, the last time being a few weeks ago on a regular Monday, checking out the new Hood Museum. I'm very important and impressive, and when I win the Powerball I'm going to give Dartmouth a building, so I got a private tour on a closed day. But I digress. Since assessing beauty is my business, I am pleased to report that the Dartmouth coed "females of the species" which I might have happened to accidentally glance at in a completely non-lascivious, non-creepy, 100% innocent, I have a teenaged daughter, middle-aged dad kind of way were, for the most part, quite - and I'll use some SAT words here - comely, with ability to both conjurate, and invocate nostalgia for those halcyon days.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:49 pm Jenks of course an All-America. Steve was crafty working the crease. Seemed slow (was not). And I'm not sure I ever saw him propel a shot faster than, like, 31mph. That being said, for every shot he took, he scored 1.1 goals. Very, very high scoring % per try. It got rough and tumble in that crease back in the day. Give the biggest football lineman a stick, and tell him to - between grunts and eating live squirrels - to "Check Necks!" and "Clear the Crease!". It was rarely "Check Sticks!", or they were purposefully missing...

The photo of Coach Bill Ritch being knocked off the bench with a delighted grin cannot be found...as it DOES NOT EXIST! (can you imagine?!?! :shock: ).

Ah, those halcyon days (what I can remember of them...)...
Yikes, indeed no one would have dared with Coach Ritch!
Love your math on Steve's shooting %. :)
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Economics major. And my daughter knows not to ask me even the simplest Algebra question these days. Once the kids got to 6th grade, I was toast... :D
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:02 pm
I regularly get to the Hanover plain, the last time being a few weeks ago on a regular Monday, checking out the new Hood Museum. I'm very important and impressive, and when I win the Powerball I'm going to give Dartmouth a building, so I got a private tour on a closed day. But I digress. Since assessing beauty is my business, I am pleased to report that the Dartmouth coed "females of the species" which I might have happened to accidentally glance at in a completely non-lascivious, non-creepy, 100% innocent, I have a teenaged daughter, middle-aged dad kind of way were, for the most part, quite - and I'll use some SAT words here - comely, with ability to both conjurate, and invocate nostalgia for those halcyon days.
Guys our age think they ALL are comely. Thing is, to them, we're ALL... invisible. Oh well...
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:01 pm
seriously? wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:42 pm I would blame the parents. How many parents from Long Island or MD want to drive ALL the way up to NH for a game. Truth be told, do parent need to be at every game?? Even visiting the college for a swing through is out of the way. How's the financial aid? Despite what everyone thinks about lacrosse families, financial aid can still be a huge factor in school selection.
Same drive time from LI to Dartmouth as it is to the Maryland Beltways, and you know it. The college colors are green, right? Maybe they should recruit better and NOT listen to certain clubs. Just saying. Kinda like Michigan, mostly, they are leaving the best beers in the fridge. Heck, willing to bet the U of New Hampshire club team could beat them.

Goalie wants to major in marine bio, any Div. I lacrosse playing colleges have that major? Ohio State? Dartmouth? Harvard? Maryland? exactly
UNH has a perfectly fine MCLA team, 7-4 in 2018. They have a hot team this year, though, so might go further. Not to be insulting in the least to them or their opponents, but this really isn't comparable. But it's great that kids are finding an opportunity to play a game they love.

BTW, yes, you can major in Marine Biology at Dartmouth, internships in Woods Hole, etc.

Not seeing Marine Bio as a major at Dartmouth. Maybe not looking in the right spot? MDlax, are you sure you're not thinking of Umass-Dartmouth :) And, thanks to fanno for the other schools. UNH has one of the top rated programs, which I should have been clearer about. Play decent club ball without the Div. I hassle of full time job that being on a team entails. Doubt there are any Marine bio majors on the Maryland, Rutgers or Duke rosters. Who wants to go to Duke? gang of 77 and camping out for hoops tickets. No thanks. It just snowed two feet, who's taking the less than 2 hour drive to several great ski mountains. Not at Duke. Or Maryland. Or even Rutgers. Camelback of Belle Mountain isn't good, at all.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Big tilt tomorrow! Hope the boys are ready to bring it at home!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:02 pm

From left to right, me, Coach Ritch, Dud, and Steve O'Neill; 1980
I don't remember whose car that is, check out the license plate.
Lax plate Moore Ritch Hendrick O'Neill.jpg
Lax plate Moore Ritch Hendrick O'Neill.jpg (7.73 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
Attachments
IMG_0428 copy.jpg
IMG_0428 copy.jpg (30.97 KiB) Viewed 3540 times
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:58 pm

Not seeing Marine Bio as a major at Dartmouth. Maybe not looking in the right spot? MDlax, are you sure you're not thinking of Umass-Dartmouth :) And, thanks to fanno for the other schools. UNH has one of the top rated programs, which I should have been clearer about. Play decent club ball without the Div. I hassle of full time job that being on a team entails. Doubt there are any Marine bio majors on the Maryland, Rutgers or Duke rosters. Who wants to go to Duke? gang of 77 and camping out for hoops tickets. No thanks. It just snowed two feet, who's taking the less than 2 hour drive to several great ski mountains. Not at Duke. Or Maryland. Or even Rutgers. Camelback of Belle Mountain isn't good, at all.
You're correct not a separate major, you can do it within Biology or within Environmental Sciences. Not sure which is the preferred path. My wife is from Woods Hole, her dad was a commercial fisherman, 'retirement job' was skippering the Marine Biological Laboratory's (MBL) specimen boat. Lots of Dartmouth Profs do summer work in Woods Hole. Dartmouth College kids too. MBL, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute (WHOI), National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS)...

As a kid my wife didn't want to be a marine biologist (everyone was marine biologist!). She was an Econ major but did an internship at National Marine Fisheries Service and wrote her honors thesis on fisheries regulation, pretty groundbreaking stuff in 1980, got published.

My sister-in-law's guy works on the deep sea ships, operating the equipment that explores way, way down, Titanic etc.

Yes, if you want to ski, Dartmouth, UNH, UVM, Middlebury...etc Heck, you can satisfy your athletic requirements learning to ski on Dartmouth's owned slopes nearby. Free bus.
renault

Post by renault »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:24 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:58 pm

You're correct not a separate major, you can do it within Biology or within Environmental Sciences. Not sure which is the preferred path. My wife is from Woods Hole, her dad was a commercial fisherman, 'retirement job' was skippering the Marine Biological Laboratory's (MBL) specimen boat. Lots of Dartmouth Profs do summer work in Woods Hole. Dartmouth College kids too. MBL, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute (WHOI), National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS)...

As a kid my wife didn't want to be a marine biologist (everyone was marine biologist!). She was an Econ major but did an internship at National Marine Fisheries Service and wrote her honors thesis on fisheries regulation, pretty groundbreaking stuff in 1980, got published.

My sister-in-law's guy works on the deep sea ships, operating the equipment that explores way, way down, Titanic etc.

Yes, if you want to ski, Dartmouth, UNH, UVM, Middlebury...etc Heck, you can satisfy your athletic requirements learning to ski on Dartmouth's owned slopes nearby. Free bus.
The worst thing about playing lacrosse at a school like Dartmouth is not being able to take advantage of the skiing.
check sticks

Post by check sticks »

A pillow fight between two mediocre teams, in a snow bound Hanover afternoon.
Dartmouth lacks composure with 1:15 left, and leading 11-10 to just possess the ball !!! Instead, an unforced TO (#22 for the game) returns the ball to Hartford who tie the score with 1:07 left.
Another lost face-off, and the Dartmouth defense falters last minute allowing the 12th Hartford goal :|

Barring some divine intervention, a 2-11 season will be written on the 2019 tombstone of Dartmouth lacrosse :|
RKirk11

Post by RKirk11 »

Hartford. Hartford?? They lost to Hartford. When will this experiment end with this coach?
Laxing97

Post by Laxing97 »

Please don’t talk about the coach. Until you see the Dartmouth faithful stop protecting this couch he will get an extension. I have been saying for 5 years this coach could not coach a b team travel team no less an Ivy League team. Md will tell you I am trolling but I haven’t been wrong yet they are like a cult. He will read box score and believe he can convince people the game wasn’t that bad
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Seems to me, CS has it right.

Turnover bug was back. 22 is awful.

And 9 of 27 FO's.

8 shots in 4th Q, but only 2 on cage, both for goals.
Hit the cage guys.

But yeah, 97, you're a troll. A one note troll.

And RKirk? are you another alias for 97?
Heck of a first post, pal.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Any thoughts on why they didn't play Hincks? I'm all for showing love to other players, but at the end of the day you need to get wins where you can. Hind sight is 20/20, so understand the thought of getting Christopher a game... but also a game to play your top line to get the W.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

That's Bill Ritch ? HOLY HAT! In that photo,Coach Pissant :evil: looks 25 years younger than he did when he was screaming at his Sewanhaka teams...and of course the refs.NH must be a snow-bound Fountain of Youth.

IMG_0428 copy.jpg
IMG_0428 copy.jpg (30.97 KiB) Viewed 3217 times
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wahoomurf wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:02 pm That's Bill Ritch ? HOLY HAT! In that photo,Coach Pissant :evil: looks 25 years younger than he did when he was screaming at his Sewanhaka teams...and of course the refs.NH must be a snow-bound Fountain of Youth.

IMG_0428 copy.jpg
He was indeed quite the character. His face would get all red when we screwed up. Classic was when he threw his clipboard down (which he did frequently) and it stuck sidewise into the ground.

He had quite the mouth on him too...absolutely hated (or sure made it sound like it)... the preppy kitties from Princeton (many of whom happened to be my HS buddies).

It was very difficult to get a word of praise out of him. He did grunt 'good job' to me after our upset of Cornell. I don't recall any others!

But our 'lax IQ' jumped a big notch when he got to Hanover.

Longest HS win streak in history (longer than St. Pauls), Long Island Lacrosse Club, Hall of Fame.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”