Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Exlaxbro

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by Exlaxbro »

This all make sense. As for the two freshmen leaving, I bet there is truth there too. I posted on another thread about the 2021 group. Most lost their junior and some lost their senior year too. Sitting for two more years probably doesn’t sound like something they would want after losing time already. The upside is those two landed elsewhere and I hope they make an impact. It only speaks to Loyola’s recruiting eye if they are successful somewhere else. You are only young once.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

On the topic of recruiting and the impact of Covid, could that be one of the primary reasons why kids commit/decommit since the 2020 year?

Because of bloated rosters and the logjam of kids trying to earn playing time, perhaps these kids decommit from one college to go to another.

Brannick arbuckle decommitted I believe this month after being one of the first juniors to commit in the fall of 2021. This class is actually filling out at a very fast rate, I believe they’re already at 10 verbals with the most recents being

1. Aidan Hevia LSM from Belen Jesuit HS in Florida
2. Brodi Reidel Defense from Oak Ridge HS in California
random observer

Post by random observer »

Spring highlights for two of the incoming 22s.

Max Watkinson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX4PCEAR8eI

Matt Minicus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy8fklmQD4w

Watkinson looks particularly good going low and making stops inside. I feel pretty certain Minicus will be starting from day one either at X or on the left wing.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

random observer wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:04 pm Spring highlights for two of the incoming 22s.

Watkinson looks particularly good going low and making stops inside. I feel pretty certain Minicus will be starting from day one either at X or on the left wing.
But if minicus starts at X where does that leave Davis Lindsey? Do you see the offense running through two playmakers?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
random observer

Post by random observer »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:10 pm
random observer wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:04 pm Spring highlights for two of the incoming 22s.

But if minicus starts at X where does that leave Davis Lindsey? Do you see the offense running through two playmakers?
I think the most likely scenario is Lindsey at X. But there's conceivably a scenario where both McCulloch and Minicus start at attack, in which case as they're both lefties you'd want one of them at X, and Lindsey on the right wing.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

random observer wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:59 pm
houndace1 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:10 pm

I think the most likely scenario is Lindsey at X. But there's conceivably a scenario where both McCulloch and Minicus start at attack, in which case as they're both lefties you'd want one of them at X, and Lindsey on the right wing.
Lindsey is a natural X. Much better feeder than scorer (at least at this point in college). Last year Kamish and Lindsey split time at the third attack spot (right side) for what I think are two reasons…1) Kamish was on a pitch count due to his health and recovery and 2) Staff wanted to get Lindsey minutes to get him ready for 2023…

Production from the two last year was solid based on not playing full minutes and essentially sharing the right wing (Kamish 19/9 and Lindsey 8/20)

Assuming everyone is healthy, my best guess would be the two highly touted freshman mentioned share time at the left attack spot, Lindsey is at X, and Kamish is on the right wing…and then as the year advances, tweaks are made…like last year you saw MVA use Kamish out of the box to get him shorty matchups which he just eats up (see Army highlights as a sample). If Kamish just isn’t able to ever fully recover, then that is the scenario where I see two freshman possibly at attack…time will tell on that situation

I’m also not so sure you won’t see Poitras get a try down low at lefty attack

Lots of pieces to work with. Lots of possibilities
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Given that kamish unfortunately had nagging injuries that limited his playing time for two seasons in a row, did he qualify for a redshirt?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:24 pm Given that kamish unfortunately had nagging injuries that limited his playing time for two seasons in a row, did he qualify for a redshirt?
Sorry No. Kamish can't redshirt. Played way too many quarters. However, I do like the options available to the Hounds on the offensive side of the ball this season. If these incoming freshmen are as good as touted that will be great. Will give the Coaches several options. Scuttlebutt I've heard is that the Minicus kid is better at this stage than his brothers', and his older brother, attending Georgetown next year, is one heck of a player. Gotta like that.

I'm all in on Lindsey. If you look at his stats for the final few games you know what he is capable of... I'm not gonna say it and jinx it. :lol:

Coach MVA can throw a lot variations at you. It's gonna Rock at Ridley first game - Defending Champs at Our House. Not predicting the outcome there but it will be a good game for fans!
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

NovaHound wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:53 pm
houndace1 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:24 pm Given that kamish unfortunately had nagging injuries that limited his playing time for two seasons in a row, did he qualify for a redshirt?
Sorry No. Kamish can't redshirt. Played way too many quarters. However, I do like the options available to the Hounds on the offensive side of the ball this season. If these incoming freshmen are as good as touted that will be great. Will give the Coaches several options. Scuttlebutt I've heard is that the Minicus kid is better at this stage than his brothers', and his older brother, attending Georgetown next year, is one heck of a player. Gotta like that.

I'm all in on Lindsey. If you look at his stats for the final few games you know what he is capable of... I'm not gonna say it and jinx it. :lol:

Coach MVA can throw a lot variations at you. It's gonna Rock at Ridley first game - Defending Champs at Our House. Not predicting the outcome there but it will be a good game for fans!
Don’t forget, Kamish, James, and Poitras actually still have 2 years left of eligibility. So there are a lot of minutes left and production for those three as hounds. All three are seniors this year, but have the extra year in their pocket.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Wow, this thread has me craving some game action. At least Fall Ball isn't too far off.

I did manage to catch the U21 title game on ESPN on Saturday. Fairey and Poitras both saw a decent amount of playing time. Poitras finished the tournament with 5G/5A playing on 2nd middie line. What's really cool is that Fairey scored a pole goal against Australia off a Poitras assist. Would love to see that repeated a few times next season!
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

I was just thinking... some will say I should start, but whatever. Anyway, can you think of many teams who play a schedule like Loyola --- Maryland, Hopkins, Rutgers, Duke, Army, Navy, Boston U, Lehigh, Towson, etc... There are absolutely no gimmes from that lineup and then the rest of the Patriot League. Gotta love Coach Toomey scheduling those teams, although I do miss UVA. But playing Maryland just makes more sense.

Can't wait for some Fall ball.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

NovaHound wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:01 pm I was just thinking... some will say I should start, but whatever. Anyway, can you think of many teams who play a schedule like Loyola --- Maryland, Hopkins, Rutgers, Duke, Army, Navy, Boston U, Lehigh, Towson, etc... There are absolutely no gimmes from that lineup and then the rest of the Patriot League. Gotta love Coach Toomey scheduling those teams, although I do miss UVA. But playing Maryland just makes more sense.

Can't wait for some Fall ball.
Few. It's why Loyola is often in the conversation for the post season. Strong SoS always prepares you for the conference. And it gives you a chance to compete in the second season when the selection committee starts looking at resumes.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

https://loyolagreyhounds.com/news/2022/ ... ogram.aspx

Please welcome the 12 freshmen plus army transfer Cole Erickson officially to campus and the team!

Seems to be another good recruiting hall of good players and better men that Coach Toomey and the staff have brought into the fold. The list of accolades is very impressive on their resumes!

Hopefully this good class will be impactful on and off the field during their time here
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Laxmaninamillion

Post by Laxmaninamillion »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:16 pm https://loyolagreyhounds.com/news/2022/ ... ogram.aspx

Please welcome the 12 freshmen plus army transfer Cole Erickson officially to campus and the team!

Seems to be another good recruiting hall of good players and better men that Coach Toomey and the staff have brought into the fold. The list of accolades is very impressive on their resumes!

Hopefully this good class will be impactful on and off the field during their time here
Can’t wait. Great incoming class. Hope they get a chance to show their stuff.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:38 pm
houndace1 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:16 pm https://loyolagreyhounds.com/news/2022/ ... ogram.aspx

Can’t wait. Great incoming class. Hope they get a chance to show their stuff.
Welcome new Hounds! Best wishes and luck as they start their pursuit of academics and athletics here this fall…

They will get the chance to “earn” the opportunity to play at the next level…just like every class on every team.

There are opportunities available for those that earn time
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Laxfan01 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:39 pm
billyd wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:06 am I know that I will get blow back from what I am about to say, but we need to look at the root problems of this team. And I know that there is an unwritten rule of parents should not post, but I believe the whole picture needs to been seen. My son is one that may or may not come back next year. It is his decision to make. This team under achieved and did not live up to expectations.

My son has given insight of what occurred.

1. One of the major talking points that the coaches was the culture of Loyola, that players do not leave Loyola, players want to come to Loyola. What we are seeing are multiple players entering the portal for a variety of reasons, which I believe will be discussed below. The culture seems to of self satisfaction and gratification., several players leaving team due to outside issues. There was no leadership from the fifth year players. No holding players accountable for their actions. Sometimes you leaders are not the best players on the team

2. Academics, again a talking point of the program was strong academic support. Not so much, very weak at best. Academic advisor was a joke

3. Loyola seems to take any player no matter what baggage they bring to the program. They will have different rules for different players. Hold some accountable for issues and others not. No consistency. And players see this.

4. Players did not play based on skill, many younger players played because the coaches felt these players would leave the program. Dont get me wrong these players have ability, but were they better than a Jr or Sr. So the feeling on the team is that they sacrificed older players play time to make the younger player happy. Plus it was well known on the team that it is who you know or your parents that got you the edge. there was definitely favoritism

5. Coaching, we did the same thing day in and day out and expecting a different outcome. I read on this board, but we only lost by one. That is a BS excuse. We were beating Rutgers, Hopkins, Army going into the fourth and could not complete the game. Coaches did not coach kids up. We had a 5th year attack that had 40 + turnovers, almost as many turnovers as total points. You had SSDMs that would get beat routinely and no change or correction. And they probably cost a couple of games. Players would not practice all week and still play. These decisions by the coaches cost Loyola a chance to play in the post season. Example, second line midfield, if you put others in there, i am confident they could have put up the same numbers as Bateman, Kamish, Wigley and Hueston

6. Lack of development of players, if they show in practice why not give them opportunities in games.

I know it seems like I am complaining, It is not airing dirty laundry, my son saw playtime, but what i worry about is complacency with this team. I want to see this team be playing Memorial day weekend. But it wont happen if Loyola keeps doing what they did last year
As a former player who has strong connections with those on the team, seeing this post just now is a mixed bag. Points 4, 5, and 6 in my view are complete hogwash based on what I’ve seen/heard from this year all the way to when I played. Some kids are people and just make mistakes because they are, you know, kids. From what I know the culture of the current players is quite strong, and they are all great kids who share the same goals. However, Point number 2 is spot on. Loyola is small school that has rather rigorous academic demands compared to say a state school, w many more “required” courses and extra crap that a kid should generally not have to take in college. With that said, the academic support was incredibly mediocre since my time (within the last decade), and that remains the case today based on what I hear. As good as Coach is, this is an aspect that I’ve felt strongly about and wish it could be taken in a different direction. When there is a problem in the classroom, it is always the kids fault, and there seems to be no concern about what is best for him-it is all about convenience and getting things done, as well as what looks better on paper rather than what the kid actually needs. Additionally, I have felt that for a long time that the program needs to do a better job supporting the mental health of these kids. What I mean by this is that some of the expectations and demands put on these kids, particularly in the off season, are ridiculous in my humble opinion. Some of the fall conditioning, (which coming from a scientific background, the way this is done can give an answer for what has been causing these lagging injuries that we hear about, as well as the why we continually choked leads in the 4th quarter) along with the off the field rules and requirements September-December is a bit ridiculous to be frank. It was that way when I was in school, and while the addition of Manning has been great as far as I know, he only has so much influence on the kids-he isn’t able to control what actually happens during practice. As far as this past year, I mean 6 kids left the team/entered the portal, and I know for a fact that over half of them were completely based around mental health reasons, so clearly this is still the case. So obviously there are clearly some problems, but I would caution folks to trust coach Toomey. If these issues are apparent to myself and others who are connected, then I’m confident he realizes all of this too-just need to trust him and the staffs process. Again there are some problems, but if they are fixed then we’re talking about a final four caliber team next year! If a recruit or parent is reading this-don’t become freaked out and stay away from loyola just because of a down year and some drama. Every big program has problems, and a lot of them have much bigger ones than we do..
Took some time away from the board, but I am intrigued by Billyd's post and the responses. I spent the summer and I spoke with many players and former players and parents of players. I will quote some anecdotal quotes when asked about some the issues that were raised

Culture of the locker room was a big conversation will all three groups. Accountability was mention several times. Players and parents wondered why a close defender or a goalie would be pulled for poor play, but none of the offensive players. And a common theme was that coaches had their favorites and it did not matter what you would do in practice or in games you would still play. One parent commented about the Maryland game, Loyola was being blown out and the game was over by the third. Why didn't the coaches empty the bench and allow the young players to play? They kept their starters in thinking that they would come back. Along with that comments about the second line midfield the the lack of productivity all year round, did not give the young guns a chance.

Loyola thinks itself as a blue collar team. They are far from it. Gone are the days were the run test meant something. Gone are the days where the captains or the seniors would hold younger players accountable for breaking team rules. 6 am running at Ridley for behavior problems.

One parent quipped that Loyola is a dumping ground for other programs cast offs. Players know that if you are dismissed from your program that Loyola will take them. We have taken now two players in the last two years that have been tossed off their program and respective schools.

If you are looking for players in the portal, just at a glance, why would you not recruit a FOGO. We have Pachecko and Cottone. Both Seniors. Seems like a huge miss by the coaches. If both choose not to come back next year. Or if they both get hurt this season. Wow. Loyola is in for a world of hurt.

I am optimistic for this season. But I am not holding my breathe. Too many internal issues as Billy D stated

Will post more of my conversations, It was definitely eye opening
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

laxbro11 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:19 pm
billyd wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:06 am I know that I will get blow back from what I am about to say, but we need to look at the root problems of this team. And I know that there is an unwritten rule of parents should not post, but I believe the whole picture needs to been seen. My son is one that may or may not come back next year. It is his decision to make. This team under achieved and did not live up to expectations.

1. One of the major talking points that the coaches was the culture of Loyola, that players do not leave Loyola, players want to come to Loyola. What we are seeing are multiple players entering the portal for a variety of reasons, which I believe will be discussed below. The culture seems to of self satisfaction and gratification., several players leaving team due to outside issues. There was no leadership from the fifth year players. No holding players accountable for their actions. Sometimes you leaders are not the best players on the team

2. Academics, again a talking point of the program was strong academic support. Not so much, very weak at best. Academic advisor was a joke

3. Loyola seems to take any player no matter what baggage they bring to the program. They will have different rules for different players. Hold some accountable for issues and others not. No consistency. And players see this.

4. Players did not play based on skill, many younger players played because the coaches felt these players would leave the program. Dont get me wrong these players have ability, but were they better than a Jr or Sr. So the feeling on the team is that they sacrificed older players play time to make the younger player happy. Plus it was well known on the team that it is who you know or your parents that got you the edge. there was definitely favoritism

5. Coaching, we did the same thing day in and day out and expecting a different outcome. I read on this board, but we only lost by one. That is a BS excuse. We were beating Rutgers, Hopkins, Army going into the fourth and could not complete the game. Coaches did not coach kids up. We had a 5th year attack that had 40 + turnovers, almost as many turnovers as total points. You had SSDMs that would get beat routinely and no change or correction. And they probably cost a couple of games. Players would not practice all week and still play. These decisions by the coaches cost Loyola a chance to play in the post season. Example, second line midfield, if you put others in there, i am confident they could have put up the same numbers as Bateman, Kamish, Wigley and Hueston

6. Lack of development of players, if they show in practice why not give them opportunities in games.

I know it seems like I am complaining, It is not airing dirty laundry, my son saw playtime, but what i worry about is complacency with this team. I want to see this team be playing Memorial day weekend. But it wont happen if Loyola keeps doing what they did last year
As a former player who has strong connections with those on the team, seeing this post just now is a mixed bag. Points 4, 5, and 6 in my view are complete hogwash based on what I’ve seen/heard from this year all the way to when I played. Some kids are people and just make mistakes because they are, you know, kids. From what I know the culture of the current players is quite strong, and they are all great kids who share the same goals. However, Point number 2 is spot on. Loyola is small school that has rather rigorous academic demands compared to say a state school, w many more “required” courses and extra crap that a kid should generally not have to take in college. With that said, the academic support was incredibly mediocre since my time (within the last decade), and that remains the case today based on what I hear. As good as Coach is, this is an aspect that I’ve felt strongly about and wish it could be taken in a different direction. When there is a problem in the classroom, it is always the kids fault, and there seems to be no concern about what is best for him-it is all about convenience and getting things done, as well as what looks better on paper rather than what the kid actually needs. Additionally, I have felt that for a long time that the program needs to do a better job supporting the mental health of these kids. What I mean by this is that some of the expectations and demands put on these kids, particularly in the off season, are ridiculous in my humble opinion. Some of the fall conditioning, (which coming from a scientific background, the way this is done can give an answer for what has been causing these lagging injuries that we hear about, as well as the why we continually choked leads in the 4th quarter) along with the off the field rules and requirements September-December is a bit ridiculous to be frank. It was that way when I was in school, and while the addition of Manning has been great as far as I know, he only has so much influence on the kids-he isn’t able to control what actually happens during practice. As far as this past year, I mean 6 kids left the team/entered the portal, and I know for a fact that over half of them were completely based around mental health reasons, so clearly this is still the case. So obviously there are clearly some problems, but I would caution folks to trust coach Toomey. If these issues are apparent to myself and others who are connected, then I’m confident he realizes all of this too-just need to trust him and the staffs process. Again there are some problems, but if they are fixed then we’re talking about a final four caliber team next year! If a recruit or parent is reading this-don’t become freaked out and stay away from loyola just because of a down year and some drama. Every big program has problems, and a lot of them have much bigger ones than we do..
Took some time away from the board, but I am intrigued by Billyd's post and the responses. I spent the summer and I spoke with many players and former players and parents of players. I will quote some anecdotal quotes when asked about some the issues that were raised

Culture of the locker room was a big conversation will all three groups. Accountability was mention several times. Players and parents wondered why a close defender or a goalie would be pulled for poor play, but none of the offensive players. And a common theme was that coaches had their favorites and it did not matter what you would do in practice or in games you would still play. One parent commented about the Maryland game, Loyola was being blown out and the game was over by the third. Why didn't the coaches empty the bench and allow the young players to play? They kept their starters in thinking that they would come back. Along with that comments about the second line midfield the the lack of productivity all year round, did not give the young guns a chance.

Loyola thinks itself as a blue collar team. They are far from it. Gone are the days were the run test meant something. Gone are the days where the captains or the seniors would hold younger players accountable for breaking team rules. 6 am running at Ridley for behavior problems.

One parent quipped that Loyola is a dumping ground for other programs cast offs. Players know that if you are dismissed from your program that Loyola will take them. We have taken now two players in the last two years that have been tossed off their program and respective schools.

If you are looking for players in the portal, just at a glance, why would you not recruit a FOGO. We have Pachecko and Cottone. Both Seniors. Seems like a huge miss by the coaches. If both choose not to come back next year. Or if they both get hurt this season. Wow. Loyola is in for a world of hurt.

I am optimistic for this season. But I am not holding my breathe. Too many internal issues as Billy D stated

I'll take a bite of this apple as i kinda thought we talked about this ad nauseum throughout 2021 and 2022.

1st point: Transfers leaving and coming in
a. Sally came in 2021 from what we've heard was an off the field racial incident directed TOWARDS him. I'm sure players who transfer in from schools are vetted not only through the Loyola coaching staff but also the school's coaching staff that player is originally coming from. Transfers are pieces that MUST BE INTEGRATED well to the never ending puzzle of "what combination of players and their skillsets can we use to help us win"? Sure Mustang had an adjustment period but he had to learn an entirely new defensive system with call outs, adjustments, scenarios, within about a month span but he certainly improved and can be expected to improve with the full season under his belt.
b. This year, they brought in Cole Erickson from Army whos expected to help contribute in the midfield. i'm sure hes vetted
c. Coach brought in Alex Mcgovern fresh off of 2016 championship run with UNC, and the following 3 years he was a good kid to the program. Toomey, i'm sure still makes things right for the kids he wants to bring in and makes sure they understand the rules. He took in one of the Duke kids after their 2005 incident that made headlines and gave him a 2nd chance and countless other transfers who he wanted.
c. He simply cannot take the grad students from other schools in as transfers because of the Patriot League Conference rules. I am sure there are a ton of good players who wanted to come, and im pretty sure he would've contacted them to come if he could have if it not were for these rules. On the notion of FOGO's, he probably contacted some undergrad kids in the portal to come but they chose elsewhere. The team and staff is constantly looking to improve.
d. Even for the kids who did decide to transfer out, maybe they were dealing with mental things that we will never know or they were homesick. who knows. but from what i've heard, theres never been any bad blood for the kids leaving the program sans the Scanlan year.

2nd point-

The young guys are going to get opportunities this year now that there are a lot of question marks in various positions. I think last year, the staff realized a little too late in the season that the guys they were sending out were not producing. So you saw them make slight changes but nothing to blow up the team chemistry. Binney, Heuston and Mcgorry got more runs while Bateman and Seay got less. Heuston took advantage. Binney scored some goals. Mcgorry will certainly get time in 2023.

3rd point-

I don't thik the team recovered mentally from the Maryland game and it showed in the rest of the season, especially those nailbiters. I do believe that this will be an entirely different fallball because 8-8 is deemed as a failing season in this program where coaches AND players are extremely motivated to get themselves back into discussion and to right the previous seasons wrongs
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Bert Macklin

Post by Bert Macklin »

I too will take the bait of this. Transfer players are a huge question mark-- are they transfer because of skill, academic issues, or off field issues. A player is vented obviously but, their is no real way of knowing how they will fit into the program. There have also been players who have transferred places seeking a second chance, coaches try their best to do so and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

On point 5 and 6 seems like a player who is disgruntled and feels slighted. Obvisouly something is going on, haven't had the success of past but, Loyola has had difficult time because for four years they had one of the greatest college lacrosse players to lead them in Spencer, then they were hit with covid in the "rebuild". They are still adjusting and figuring it out. Upper classmen weren't getting job done so try and develop younger guys and build for future
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Good luck to those kids in the portal. Hope they finds a good home that they are comfortable with and if they are homesick or need some mental health help, I hope they get it. This covid thing has been tough on everyone. Even well-grounded, supported kids. This cohort needs extra attention, academically, socially and in every other way possible too. I know what Toomey gives the boys as a team. And it's significant with the retreats and team events/programs. This is a concern everywhere so I hope all the school administrators out there appreciate the situation these boys are in and ramp up their network of support for these kids at their respective schools.

As for the not so good fits athletically, I think a lot of the problem is unrealistic expectations coupled with an increase in roster size. The past 2 years have never been harder to make or PLAY for a D1 team. And it's gonna continue for another couple years until the covid bubble kids finally get out of the pipeline. A couple kids transferred in and while they played well at other mid D1 programs, couldn't adjust to the speed/size/scheme of the top D1 game. Same with some recruits. But that happens everywhere, at all programs. I think we are seeing a ton of those kids (from all over) who would have gotten a chance to compete in an otherwise normal situation flee for places where they have a better chance. I don't begrudge them at all. I say good luck and hope they have a great experience wherever they land.

There was a kid I played with in college who was an amazing hs lax player one of the best to ever come out of West Genny. AA all district. Every accolade in the book. He just never panned out in college. He was still an incredibly well-rounded and talented player, just not lots of playing time. He was behind 2 AAs on the depth chart until his SR year. Nothing to be ashamed of. Happens in college football all the time too, with kids who don't make the leap to pro. It doesn't mean you are a bad football player. But hard circumstances and increased competition can beat even the best athletes out there.

Keep it in perspective. Good luck to all.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Bert Macklin wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:28 pm

I too will take the bait of this. Transfer players are a huge question mark-- are they transfer because of skill, academic issues, or off field issues. A player is vented obviously but, their is no real way of knowing how they will fit into the program. There have also been players who have transferred places seeking a second chance, coaches try their best to do so and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

On point 5 and 6 seems like a player who is disgruntled and feels slighted. Obvisouly something is going on, haven't had the success of past but, Loyola has had difficult time because for four years they had one of the greatest college lacrosse players to lead them in Spencer, then they were hit with covid in the "rebuild". They are still adjusting and figuring it out. Upper classmen weren't getting job done so try and develop younger guys and build for future
He lost me when he threw Kamish in as a guy that shouldn’t be on the field or didn’t produce. Lol. Instant loss of credibility to the post…when he’s on the field he’s been one of our most efficient and productive players in all measures…since he arrived.

As far as transfers, most programs take transfers and frankly ALL transfers (ok 80%) come with some risk or a question mark or two. Loyola can’t take 5th year grad guys like the ACC, Big Ten, or the Big East. PL does not allow it.

On making the move from High School to college. It is not easy and guess what…Half of every class will probably never see the field. Stars or top 100 kids in high school don’t pan out all the time…in all sports. Just because you think kids are gonna be stars because of some biased ranking doesn’t mean a kid is gonna pan out…A high % of EVERY class at most schools will sit the bench, transfer, attrit out of the game altogether…pay attention.

Finally, Loyola will have a lot of question marks and opportunities for new guys to get chances. We also have some very nice productive pieces coming back. Team had a tough year last year…never meshed, and it’s over…bad year, time to move on and look ahead.

The year before (2021) they were in the quarters…year before (2020) we were 4-2 with wins over Hop and Rutgers and the season was cancelled…year before that (2019) we were in the quarters. Some of those players are still on this roster.

Again, last year was odd…chemistry was off…so be it, it’s over…hopefully the guys that were not happy left, hopefully we have better health, hopefully we find better chemistry, hopefully seniors like James and Poitras and Kamish become new leaders this team needs, and hopefully the young guys earn the playing time they want…opportunities are there

When people overreact I find the truth is somewhere in the middle. Loyola lacrosse and it’s staff will remain a respected and top program in lacrosse. I’m looking forward to seeing how this team bounces back in 2023…and if the same issues are there in 2023, then maybe I’ll re-consider my stance…but I’m not overreacting to one bad year where we went 8-8.

Go Hounds!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”