THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

More Awards for Joey Epstein

Post by DocBarrister »

Let’s see ...

Named to the weekly USILA team (first time).

Named B1G Freshman of the Week (fourth time *yawn*).

Named Co-B1G Offensive Player of the Week (first time, with Jared Bernhardt, pretty good company).

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
FACEvalue

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by FACEvalue »

Add HopFan: reflective of its midwestern roots with a dash of Molson, OSU is most comfortable executing a physical brand of lacrosse utilizing a slow and deliberate pace. They present size and bulk at every turn and their veteran starting d middies are perhaps the team’s most impressive athletes. The Bucks won’t go away no matter the score (witness the 7-3 deficit in the win over the Irish). Secondary scoring has been inconsistent, as has goal tending. Fully expect one goal game.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

"slow and deliberate" used to be Hopkins' forte.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I think Hopkins got the set of results tonight that they needed with Syracuse and Loyola winning.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Hawkeye wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:27 pm I think Hopkins got the set of results tonight that they needed with Syracuse and Loyola winning.
Hopkins has 0 wins against teams currently projected to be in the ncaa tournament field even with a win over osu this weekend.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:28 am
Hawkeye wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:27 pm I think Hopkins got the set of results tonight that they needed with Syracuse and Loyola winning.
Hopkins has 0 wins against teams currently projected to be in the ncaa tournament field even with a win over osu this weekend.
Interesting that MSM either doesn’t count or whoever is doing these projections is bad at what they are doing.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:28 am
If OSU is no longer projected to be in the field after this weekend, it's likely because we took their spot.

It is true that Hopkins has no glaringly good wins (yet) this year. But the combination of no bad losses + a strong RPI and SOS still puts this team on the bubble. Winning on Sunday would be a start, and then finding a way to win one more Big Ten game would help out quite a bit.

According to LaxBytes, we now have exactly the same chance at an at-large berth as Cornell. Still slightly behind Villanova and Ohio State.

Our wins, by opposing team's RPI:

North Carolina - 17
Rutgers - 19
Princeton - 24
Delaware - 27
Mt. St. Mary's - 34
Michigan - 44

And our losses:

Virginia - 2
Loyola - 4
Syracuse - 6
Towson - 13

Remaining games:

Penn State - 1
Maryland - 7
Ohio State - 10

Jays have a much better opportunity than every other bubble team to improve its resume before May. Biggest competition to me right now looks like Villanova. Would love for them to lose to Georgetown this weekend.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Interesting that people continue to value a metric that treats YOUR teams record EQUALLY of teams you never, ever play, records.

And rewarding loses to teams with a better record than yours, counting for TWICE as much value as your own record. It's insanity.

btw.......like how someone finally spelled Quinn's name correctly on the website. ;)
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:55 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:30 pm It's no coincidence that fans of other teams are so confused by Zinn's lack of playing time on offense. The only people who can "explain" it are in this thread, and those explanations range from "the coaches must have some secret strategy that is correct" or "his defense stinks, so he shouldn't play any offense"—neither of which hold up to scrutiny.

Epstein is not going to score 8 every game. The attack is probably not going to combine for 15 pts again this season. We need better midfield production. It's a glaring issue that has impacted several games already. That the offense had a good day against Rutgers makes me very happy, put it does not mean that it will continue, or that no changes should ever be made. There is more than enough evidence available to suggest the offense would benefit greatly from either another legit dodging or shooting presence at the midfield. Was I the only one who saw Zinn peg two corners against Virginia? One of those being a feet-set snipe off ball movement from the righty wing. Feel like we could use that skill set. Maybe that was my imagination.

Anyway, the bigger question if this team has any hope of playing into May is why a veteran defense that returns virtually everyone from a unit that allowed only 9.7 goals per game last year is now giving up over 12 goals per game this year. That's the big mystery. Is it really the switch from Turnbaugh to Darby? Their save percentages are similar—I assume Turnbaugh knew the defense better and was a better vocal leader than the young sophomore in his first season as a starter. But even if that's true, can that really account for a nearly 3-goal difference? Granted, goal scoring is up everywhere. Syracuse at 10 goals allowed per game is #20 in the country this year—that would not have sniffed the top 30 last year. So you've got to build in a little cushion for the new rules and the faster pace. But still don't think any of this totally explains the defensive drop-off for a group that was "supposed" to be one of the best in the country this year.
On defense, sounds like they’re missing a vocal leader like Brock Turnbaugh. On offense, Williams and DeSimone have struggled in their new leadership roles.

A sign of things to come? Freshman Epstein directing senior captain Marr to move from behind the net to above GLE in order to clear the way for Epstein to dodge and score.

Oh, and by the way ... looks like Cavalier basketball fan, Wombat, has some celebrating to do tonight. It was a long time in coming. Congratulations, Wombat. ;)

DocBarrister 8-)
Guess what, I haven’t seen the game yet. I’m at sea with limited comms.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:34 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:55 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:30 pm It's no coincidence that fans of other teams are so confused by Zinn's lack of playing time on offense. The only people who can "explain" it are in this thread, and those explanations range from "the coaches must have some secret strategy that is correct" or "his defense stinks, so he shouldn't play any offense"—neither of which hold up to scrutiny.

Epstein is not going to score 8 every game. The attack is probably not going to combine for 15 pts again this season. We need better midfield production. It's a glaring issue that has impacted several games already. That the offense had a good day against Rutgers makes me very happy, put it does not mean that it will continue, or that no changes should ever be made. There is more than enough evidence available to suggest the offense would benefit greatly from either another legit dodging or shooting presence at the midfield. Was I the only one who saw Zinn peg two corners against Virginia? One of those being a feet-set snipe off ball movement from the righty wing. Feel like we could use that skill set. Maybe that was my imagination.

Anyway, the bigger question if this team has any hope of playing into May is why a veteran defense that returns virtually everyone from a unit that allowed only 9.7 goals per game last year is now giving up over 12 goals per game this year. That's the big mystery. Is it really the switch from Turnbaugh to Darby? Their save percentages are similar—I assume Turnbaugh knew the defense better and was a better vocal leader than the young sophomore in his first season as a starter. But even if that's true, can that really account for a nearly 3-goal difference? Granted, goal scoring is up everywhere. Syracuse at 10 goals allowed per game is #20 in the country this year—that would not have sniffed the top 30 last year. So you've got to build in a little cushion for the new rules and the faster pace. But still don't think any of this totally explains the defensive drop-off for a group that was "supposed" to be one of the best in the country this year.
On defense, sounds like they’re missing a vocal leader like Brock Turnbaugh. On offense, Williams and DeSimone have struggled in their new leadership roles.

A sign of things to come? Freshman Epstein directing senior captain Marr to move from behind the net to above GLE in order to clear the way for Epstein to dodge and score.

Oh, and by the way ... looks like Cavalier basketball fan, Wombat, has some celebrating to do tonight. It was a long time in coming. Congratulations, Wombat. ;)

DocBarrister 8-)
Guess what, I haven’t seen the game yet. I’m at sea with limited comms.
Helping to keep our nation safe, no doubt. Well, finish your work, safe sailing, and when you have the chance, enjoy the game ... it was a great one. :)

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Usually don’t pay much attention to these things, but Joey Epstein just became one of three freshmen nationwide named to the Tewaaraton watch list.

DocBarrister :shock:
@DocBarrister
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

It's more apparent every year that Hopkins undergraduate interest in Blue Jay lacrosse continues to diminish...
Last evening on the local "news" on channel 13 a group of Hopkins "students" were marching in protest of some perceived injustice ; I quickly realized the snowflake culture is alive and well at Homewood.
Of course Lacrosse is an elitist sport and an affront to enlightened privileged youth...oh my ! :roll:
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Maybe they were marching against an on-topic injustice; to wit: how its lower tuition gives Maryland an unfair recruiting advantage.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:49 am It's more apparent every year that Hopkins undergraduate interest in Blue Jay lacrosse continues to diminish...
Last evening on the local "news" on channel 13 a group of Hopkins "students" were marching in protest of some perceived injustice ; I quickly realized the snowflake culture is alive and well at Homewood.
Of course Lacrosse is an elitist sport and an affront to enlightened privileged youth...oh my ! :roll:
Nothing like someone from the Harry Truman era telling current students what they should or shouldn't care about the things affecting their lives.

Senior day on Sunday. Very likely the last time those guys will play a game on Homewood Field. Thanks to Marr, Kuhn, Jones, Foley, et al for their contributions over the years. Special thanks to Jake Fox for always keeping the bench animated in every game.

Do we know for sure that Concannon will be back next year?
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:49 am It's more apparent every year that Hopkins undergraduate interest in Blue Jay lacrosse continues to diminish...
This is a borderline political post. Not the place for that.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Just stating the obvious...!
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Senior day on Sunday. Very likely the last time those guys will play a game on Homewood Field.
The heck you say. We run the table and host a 1st round game.....
LILaxer99

Post by LILaxer99 »

Hopkins wont even make the Tournament. They will fall short after another disappointing season. The InsideLacrosse.com / BackOfTheCage.com Bracketology's have Hopkins out as well. Too much parity in the game now and players wanting to play elsewhere and more players wanting to go to Maryland doesn't help them anymore.

They Have the Below Tourney Bracket:
#1 Penn State vs. (Vermont vs Detroit Mercy) (Play in Game)
#8 Yale vs Towson
#5 Virginia vs Ohio State
#4 Cuse vs Nova
#3 Loyola vs Richmond
#6 Maryland vs High Point
#7 Upenn vs Notre Dame
#2 Duke vs Mount St Mary
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

LILaxer99 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:10 pm Hopkins wont even make the Tournament. They will fall short after another disappointing season. The InsideLacrosse.com / BackOfTheCage.com Bracketology's have Hopkins out as well. Too much parity in the game now and players wanting to play elsewhere and more players wanting to go to Maryland doesn't help them anymore.

They Have the Below Tourney Bracket:
#8 Yale vs Towson
#4 Cuse vs Nova
#3 Loyola vs Richmond
#7 Upenn vs Notre Dame
#2 Duke vs Mount St Mary
Rebuilding years do happen. Just last year hopkins landed the 5 seed after an impressive season. They lost a huge amount of talent and it's tough to fill those gaps in one season. But they also did just land maybe the best freshman this year, along with some promising middies, and they have at least one of the most hyped up recruits coming in 2020 with that Grimes guy. If they beat ohio state, one of MD or Penn St, and win one Big10 tourney game, then they would most likely make the tourney. Not a bad year without Stanwick and Tinney (that dude was the man). Cuse fan BTW and we were dealing with similar thoughts last year. Now this year I'm feeling pretty good again.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

LILaxer99 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:10 pm They Have the Below Tourney Bracket:
#8 Yale vs Towson
#4 Cuse vs Nova
#3 Loyola vs Richmond
#7 Upenn vs Notre Dame
#2 Duke vs Mount St Mary
There are any number of ways SoCon gets bumped from two bids.
Personally, I think the Big Ten gets four, so that means Hopkins?
Big Ten, simply by virtue of SOS, SOS being something on the order of 1/4 of the grading IIRC.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”