media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Kismet

Re: media matters

Post by Kismet »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:00 am
DMac wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:29 am They do offer something that says it never happened.
BYU police reviewed footage of the fan who was banned and determined that he did not yell any slurs when Richardson was serving. The fan wasn’t even present when Richardson was serving the first time, and he was on his phone during Richardson’s second serve. Those were the only two times she served in front of the BYU student section. A BYU student newspaper reached out to several people in the student section, none of whom had heard any slurs.
I sure don't know if it really happened or not but I do find it hard to imagine that that the people around the alleged yeller of racial slurs wouldn't shut the guy up and let him know immediately that his behavior isn't going to be tolerated. I know I would, that would make me so uncomfortable that there's no way I'd be able to sit there and not say something. I'm bettin' you'd be the same. I sure don't have any trouble imagining the media got it wrong and jumped all over it like a dog to a steak bone though...another Duke story?
ahh, thanks, I did't see the continue reading button. Seemed rather short! :oops:
This is all over right wing media today (including the Washington Examiner) - I find it very hard to believe that all of these media outlets were somehow duped to cover a total fraud (they nominally have to verify all of the facts and sources and they player in question made public statements to all of the media) but despite that it certainly isn't impossible - having said that the Smollett reference is appropriate.
My question is why did BYU AD go all over media for days and never once even suggested a hoax and even confirmed that a fan had been banned from the arena and discussions/apologies with Duke players and staff. Certainly deserves more investigation including the Duke players and coaches, the various media outlets who went with it and the university. If true, they all need to fess up however embarrassing that might be.

There was a police report filed and investigated - from a local news report yesterday afternoon

https://www.deseret.com/2022/8/31/23330 ... volleyball
Last edited by Kismet on Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Kismet wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:19 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:00 am
DMac wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:29 am They do offer something that says it never happened.
BYU police reviewed footage of the fan who was banned and determined that he did not yell any slurs when Richardson was serving. The fan wasn’t even present when Richardson was serving the first time, and he was on his phone during Richardson’s second serve. Those were the only two times she served in front of the BYU student section. A BYU student newspaper reached out to several people in the student section, none of whom had heard any slurs.
I sure don't know if it really happened or not but I do find it hard to imagine that that the people around the alleged yeller of racial slurs wouldn't shut the guy up and let him know immediately that his behavior isn't going to be tolerated. I know I would, that would make me so uncomfortable that there's no way I'd be able to sit there and not say something. I'm bettin' you'd be the same. I sure don't have any trouble imagining the media got it wrong and jumped all over it like a dog to a steak bone though...another Duke story?
ahh, thanks, I did't see the continue reading button. Seemed rather short! :oops:
This is all over right wing media today (including the Washington Examiner) - I find it very hard to believe that all of these media outlets were somehow duped to cover a total fraud (they nominally have to verify all of the facts and sources and they player in question made public statements to all of the media) but despite that it certainly isn't impossible - having said that the Smollett reference is appropriate.
My question is why did BYU AD go all over media for days and never once even suggested a hoax and even confirmed that a fan had been banned from the arena and discussions/apologies with Duke players and staff. Certainly deserves more investigation including the Duke players and coaches, the various media outlets who went with it and the university. If true, they all need to fess up however embarrassing that might be.
Certainly agree, but the player seems rather clear about what she heard...and she doesn't sound like a wild-eyed race baiter. (godmother might be...)

But if it it really didn't happen, important to have that be cleared up...BUT if it DID happen, to be clear about that as well.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:00 pm Weird, because most of the news, left and right, has been pushing the word Recession for a while now. Makes for good, scary headlines.

Business Cycle Dating Procedure: Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why doesn't the committee accept the two-quarter definition?

A: There are several reasons. First, we do not identify economic activity solely with real GDP, but consider a range of indicators. Second, we consider the depth of the decline in economic activity. The NBER definition includes the phrase, “a significant decline in economic activity." Thus real GDP could decline by relatively small amounts in two consecutive quarters without warranting the determination that a peak had occurred. Third, our main focus is on the monthly chronology, which requires consideration of monthly indicators. Fourth, in examining the behavior of production on a quarterly basis, where real GDP data are available, we give equal weight to real GDI. The difference between GDP and GDI—called the “statistical discrepancy”—was particularly important in the recessions of 2001 and 2007–2009.
And if you wanna read the actual White House memo instead of BitCoin news:

How Do Economists Determine Whether the Economy Is in a Recession?

Guess we'll see GDP numbers tomorrow and we'll get to see down the road if we're starting an actual Recession or not.
Of course most financial practitioners don’t care if it’s been declared by the NBER or not. That’s really only for media. But we do have the two quarters and I’ve watched banks get aggressive on two corporate problem loans not in the news where they let them slide for 18mo or so of covenant violations. And a few pulling back. So the negative GDP for the year of 22 so far came while bank credit and general liquidity was still at its highest . What do you think happens when credit pulls back, liquidity is systemically reduced and we go from the tightest labor market on record to something looser.

I’m not rooting for it but the White House is either in denial or offensively trying to submit a narrative that doesn’t follow reality.

Same thing with inflation reduction act. Even if that were the outcome doesn’t the road when my kids are grandparents, it’s still bs because it implies the point of the legislation effort was to address inflation when in reality that wasn’t a consideration at all at the end of the day until it was passed in a high inflation environment.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
DMac

Post by DMac »

Seems as if facts are getting in the way of a juicy story the media was/is pushing.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/cn ... edf125f1f3
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:18 pm Seems as if facts are getting in the way of a juicy story the media was/is pushing.
Another angry black lady making sh*t up again. Did you see the malice at the Palace?
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:18 pm Seems as if facts are getting in the way of a juicy story the media was/is pushing.
That's the Fox News spin...not so sure that's the whole story...

The South Carolina Freedom Caucus folks objecting USC's cancellation of their series with BYU are real pieces of work:
https://www.postandcourier.com/politics ... dc397.html
DMac

Post by DMac »

So you two are saying that this absolutely happened despite there not being an iota of evidence to confirm that it did.
Who in this country today is not jumping all over a person yelling the N word at a player from the stands? Nobody around him, nobody in the stands anywhere said a word (I would have been all over person who did that). In this world of cameras and phones everywhere there is nothing anywhere showing that this happened? I find that awfully hard to believe.
Last edited by DMac on Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:41 pm
That's the Fox News spin...not so sure that's the whole story...

The South Carolina Freedom Caucus folks objecting USC's cancellation of their series with BYU are real pieces of work:
https://www.postandcourier.com/politics ... dc397.html
They may have got the wrong guy means it was made up.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:50 pm So you two are saying that this absolutely happened despite there not being an iota of evidence to confirm that it did.
Who in this country today is not jumping all over a person yelling the N word at a player from the stands. Nobody around him, nobody in the stands anywhere said a word (I would have been all over person who did that). In this world of cameras and phones everywhere there is nothing anywhere showing that this happened? I find that awfully hard to believe.
No. I am saying its “not that it definitely did not happen”….this girl wanted her world turned upside down by lying. Also lied to her father right after the game….because this is what people do.

Mistakes do happen. I was at a game where it was reported that the students were chanting anti semitic remarks. I never heard it and I was pretty much there the whole game.

Throwing the wrong guy out doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Wouldn’t be so quick to make that call as you seem to be. As for what you would do….many people stand by silent when sh*t happens.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Does none of it coming across the audio or video of a recorded game mean it didn't happen? Does nobody around the guy hearing it mean anything? Does nobody else anywhere hearing it mean anything?
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:00 pm Does none of it coming across the audio or video of a recorded game mean it didn't happen? Does nobody around the guy hearing it mean anything? Does nobody else anywhere hearing it mean anything?
You think you can pick up an individual voice at a basketball or volleyball game? I don’t know what kind of equipment they are using to analyze it. It’s not like it’s a criminal investigation. You think black people casually walk around accusing people of being racist? You have any friends that do that? I don’t.

This country has a long history with of people not seeing or hearing anything…. “this is Tom, he is a friend or ours”….you familiar with that?
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad

What are you attempting to prove?
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Did you read it? See anywhere where anyone heard anything?
Nobody in a volleyball crowd would say or do anything.....
too hard for me to buy.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:28 pm Did you read it? See anywhere where anyone heard anything?
Nobody in a volleyball crowd would say or do anything.....
too hard for me to buy.
I read the article. I asked a direct question. I read the article more than once, actually. What are you attempting to prove? I guess if I did a search history, I will find an equal number of instances of you pointing out that a black guy was “falsely accused”.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Got no idea what your point is TLD. Here, this makes it easy, with a void of evidence I'm having a hard time believing this.
Nobody in this crowd would do or say anything...okay.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:45 pm Got no idea what your point is TLD. Here, this makes it easy, with a void of evidence I'm having a hard time believing this.
I got it. Not quite the same as the girl is lying. Like I said, I was at a lacrosse game and sat next to a student section accused of anti-semitic chants. I didn’t hear any of it and found it hard to believe and told anyone that would listen that I was there and it didn’t happen. I may have been wrong as it turns out. Most people I know don’t go around lying about being slurred. Generally, it’s tolerated most of the time. That’s more common. Just ask around.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:50 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:45 pm Got no idea what your point is TLD. Here, this makes it easy, with a void of evidence I'm having a hard time believing this.
I got it. Not quite the same as the girl is lying. Like I said, I was at a lacrosse game and sat next to a student section accused of anti-semitic chants. I didn’t hear any of it and found it hard to believe and told anyone that would listen that I was there and it didn’t happen. I may have been wrong as it turns out. Most people I know don’t go around lying about being slurred. Generally, it’s tolerated most of the time. That’s more common. Just ask around.
That's my take too, though it's obviously not unheard of for someone to make something up...but this young person doesn't remotely come across as someone wanting this attention nor prone to making such accusations. Quite the opposite.

By contrast, most people really, really don't want such a thing to be true, or for their school or community to be labelled as "racist", and will resist the truth even when it's on camera and clear as a bell...but we know that the lack of camera evidence doesn't mean it didn't happen...right?

Not the same thing, but some years ago I was at a football game at my own high school and a number of students were chanting a quite profane cheer and laughing about it...None of the other adults, including teachers and admins who were within ear shot seemed to notice. I did the unusual and told the youngsters to knock it off...and they did (seemed to just need someone to speak up)...but no one else spoke up. I spoke about it later a number of times with various adults and kept getting back, 'oh, you just don't understand how kids speak these days. BS, not ok at my HS.

My son (and I certainly had the same experience in the net) had all sorts of haranguing from opposing fans. Some quite creative. He told me that when he was a freshman he learned from seeing it happen to the senior tender about his girlfriend to not post anything personal on social media, to stay away, don't give opposing fans fodder to go there...he actually got a kick out of the haranguing so not a problem for him...and he and his buddies used to go behind the opposing women's soccer team tender and talk to her, have a beer, etc...funny...but if someone went too far, that'd be how easy it is to happen.

Again, I'd be very, very surprised to hear that this particular gal made it up.

Return to “POLITICS”