MAAC 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

MAAC 2023

Post by gymman1031 »

The conference will be the largest in DI in 2023 with ten members.
SCLaxAttack

Re: MAAC 2023

Post by SCLaxAttack »

MAAC commissioner retiring after 35 years at the end of the 22-23 school year: https://www.trentonian.com/2022/08/17/m ... -year/amp/

It'll be interesting to see if the MAAC finally gets a focus on lacrosse as they promised years ago when they announced lacrosse would be a conference "primary sport." I'm hopeful but not holding my breath.
ALaudico7

Post by ALaudico7 »

GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

ALaudico7 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:21 pm Iona adding lacrosse in 2024-25
https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 5846048768
Great academics and location. It is in Westchester NY, 20 minutes to CT and a lil less than an hour to NYC/LI (by car). Nice to have some hotbeds in your backyard. I had some buddies go there as students and they loved it. Also noticed they took the Marquette model and will give a year+ for whatever HC they choose to recruit. Hoping Iona makes waves early!
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

Lots of good details in here, they're aggressive for sure it looks like. https://www.collegelacrosse.net/post/br ... c-new-york
118:24 #HHH
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cuseman4133 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:40 pm Lots of good details in here, they're aggressive for sure it looks like. https://www.collegelacrosse.net/post/br ... c-new-york
I love that two pro wrestlers are referenced as notable alumni!
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Smart move for Iona. They've experienced quite a bit of enrollment-related financial duress over the past decade-ish. While their location is great from a traditional lacrosse recruiting perspective, their location is also in a region that is seeing its overall number of high school students decline.

By adding the sports they added (women's acrobatics and tumbling), it allows them to recruit further south into areas of population growth. I doubt they'll fully fund the lacrosse program, so this means that they'll bring in 45-ish additional students at probably no less of a discount rate than they're already offering. It's likely that even most of those 45-ish players won't even get Iona's average discount rate.

So this makes sense from a lot of perspectives, but make no mistake that it's being done to boost enrollment. Iona is essentially acting like a D3 school with these moves.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:06 pm Smart move for Iona. They've experienced quite a bit of enrollment-related financial duress over the past decade-ish. While their location is great from a traditional lacrosse recruiting perspective, their location is also in a region that is seeing its overall number of high school students decline.

By adding the sports they added (women's acrobatics and tumbling), it allows them to recruit further south into areas of population growth. I doubt they'll fully fund the lacrosse program, so this means that they'll bring in 45-ish additional students at probably no less of a discount rate than they're already offering. It's likely that even most of those 45-ish players won't even get Iona's average discount rate.

So this makes sense from a lot of perspectives, but make no mistake that it's being done to boost enrollment. Iona is essentially acting like a D3 school with these moves.
Beds for heads.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:22 pm
Wheels wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:06 pm Smart move for Iona. They've experienced quite a bit of enrollment-related financial duress over the past decade-ish. While their location is great from a traditional lacrosse recruiting perspective, their location is also in a region that is seeing its overall number of high school students decline.

Beds for heads.
Question is,
which alumni ponies up to fully fund lacrosse,
it ain’t going to happen overnight,

in the meantime, the above strategy could get them
competitive in the MAAC quickly.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

ALaudico7 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:21 pm Iona adding lacrosse in 2024-25
https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 5846048768
Irish on North Avenue.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:00 pm

Beds for heads.
Question is,

Rick Pitino?

Be the man around all the lacrosse groupie girls for when he wants to go out for dinner.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:23 pm
10stone5 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:00 pm

Beds for heads.
Question is,

Rick Pitino?

Be the man around all the lacrosse groupie girls for when he wants to go out for dinner.
Hah !

I was thinking Don McLean.
thrill-a-minute

Post by thrill-a-minute »

Been lurking for awhile and finally decided to break down and join the party.

I came across this thread tonight and recalled someone in the transfer portal thread commenting on the particularly large number of players at LIU popping smoke due to their switch to the MAAC.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the story with the move from NEC to MAAC and do most feel that the MAAC will be a sub par conference competition wise?
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

The NEC is not sponsoring lacrosse this yr due to so many teams leaving. The NEC was an underrated conference with a lot talented players. St Joes, Bryant, LIU and Hobart had good battles and now the MAAC is a lot weaker Comference. A big part of kids leaving LIU was also there coach leaving for NJIT. Between that and the move to the MAAC a lot of kids left.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Here’s the full MAAC line-up,

MAAC
Team W L
Canisius (0-0) 0 0
Iona (0-0) 0 0
LIU (0-0) 0 0
Manhattan (0-0) 0 0
Marist (0-0) 0 0
Mount St Mary's (0-0) 0 0
Quinnipiac (0-0) 0 0
Sacred Heart (0-0) 0 0
Siena (0-0) 0 0
VMI (0-0) 0 0
Wagner (0-0) 0 0
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

DoubleD wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:06 pm The NEC is not sponsoring lacrosse this yr due to so many teams leaving. The NEC was an underrated conference with a lot talented players. St Joes, Bryant, LIU and Hobart had good battles and now the MAAC is a lot weaker Comference. A big part of kids leaving LIU was also there coach leaving for NJIT. Between that and the move to the MAAC a lot of kids left.
MAAC had zero to do with kids leaving LIU
LIU announced they were going to the MAAC on 5/9
6/22 only 1 player had entered the portal (Richie LaCalandra)
about 6/23 Wolf is let go by LIU and the flood gates opened
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

You guys all know your having this conversation on a MAAC board and your the newcomers right? Kind of have to win something and make friends before lobbing grenades. And I’m a serial offender so take it from me.

Or congrats on making your competition ready to whip some LI a** if that was your goal. This will be posted in locker rooms potentially.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Lol I said the kids left due to there coach leaving not the move to the MAAC. If Wolf has stayed those kids most likely stay. I do think the MAAC was weaker then the NEC but some teams also left the MAAC to. It was more about the NEC being underrated then the MAAC. With all the team in the MAAC and LIU losing its best players it should be very competitive this yr. Nothing wrong with the MAAC at all. I'm sure the MAAC is probably underrated to I just don't know enough. I think these smaller schools are getting a lot more talented players who are being overlooked. I apologize if you thought I was taking shots at the MAAC it was more about the NEC and also the kids leaving due to Coach Wolf moving on.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DoubleD wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:50 pm Lol I said the kids left due to there coach leaving not the move to the MAAC. If Wolf has stayed those kids most likely stay. I do think the MAAC was weaker then the NEC but some teams also left the MAAC to. It was more about the NEC being underrated then the MAAC. With all the team in the MAAC and LIU losing its best players it should be very competitive this yr. Nothing wrong with the MAAC at all. I'm sure the MAAC is probably underrated to I just don't know enough. I think these smaller schools are getting a lot more talented players who are being overlooked. I apologize if you thought I was taking shots at the MAAC it was more about the NEC and also the kids leaving due to Coach Wolf moving on.
Did you read the post immediately prior to yours? Meant the new guy. Although the one comment within your post did say it’s weaker. True or not, I’m sure there’s a few here that don’t want to hear that.

Lot of Hobart folks felt disappointed when we joined the MAAC after Q5ish hrs between the PL and a very quality ECAC which is you out back together would be the #4 conference and not that far behind 3. Can’t recall guys jumping in MEC thread and discussing the “downgrade”.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

I really meant it as in the NEC was underrated which we talked about. I shouldn't have said weaker Ur right I do apologize. I haven't watched many MAAC games so this yr with LIU being in it I will be able to get more familiar with it. I think it's gonna be very competitive and should be a lot of exciting games. I'm looking forward to it.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”