AreaLax

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by AreaLax »

New commit Gabriel Sorichetti. Recently decommitted from HPU
He playing in the Minto Cup.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

I’ll put my money on HopFan16’s youth, despite Jhu99’s 17 years more experience. I’d also take Trump over Biden out back behind the school.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

So experience has no value for you then?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:08 pm New commit Gabriel Sorichetti. Recently decommitted from HPU
He had 3 goals and 2 assist in last night game
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... five/60196
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

AreaLax wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:01 am
AreaLax wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:08 pm New commit Gabriel Sorichetti. Recently decommitted from HPU
Nice late pickup for PM and Crawley. I imagine if you are Culver's leading scorer and putting up points in the Minto Cup as a 17-year-old then you're probably pretty good
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:14 am
AreaLax wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:01 am
Nice late pickup for PM and Crawley. I imagine if you are Culver's leading scorer and putting up points in the Minto Cup as a 17-year-old then you're probably pretty good
Talked to some of my northern friends and they said this is the best pick up in a while. Good news
laxerr20

Post by laxerr20 »

I heard from a kid in the program that milliman is not connecting well with older guys from petro's reign.... seems like there are petro guys and milliman guys
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

laxerr20 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:28 pm I heard from a kid in the program that milliman is not connecting well with older guys from petro's reign.... seems like there are petro guys and milliman guys
Maybe Crawley can help with that?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

laxerr20 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:28 pm I heard from a kid in the program that milliman is not connecting well with older guys from petro's reign.... seems like there are petro guys and milliman guys
This is common. My guess is that the kids not connecting aren’t playing. That’s usually how it goes.
“I wish you would!”
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

did anyone watch the doneger/rabil movie?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:40 am did anyone watch the doneger/rabil movie?
Yeah, I thought it was well done. Doneger is a talented filmmaker.

You really get the full Rabil experience. He is clearly very ambitious, driven, committed — often to a fault.

There was one interesting bit when the Atlas were not playing well in the bubble in 2020 and after a tough loss Crawley chews Rabil out for being selfish and not playing team offense. Then they lose again and Rabil abolutely loses his mind in the locker room after. Tough to watch on multiple fronts but there's no denying the dude cares about what he does and it shows in the success of the league to this point. But perhaps a result of that is his alienation from his peers. Running the league and playing in it simultaneously was impossible and he realized that maybe a year too late. It's not an entirely flattering portrait but at the end of the day I think he comes off sympathetic.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:53 am

You really get the full Rabil experience. He is clearly very ambitious, driven, committed — often to a fault.

There was one interesting bit when the Atlas were not playing well in the bubble in 2020 and after a tough loss Crawley chews Rabil out for being selfish and not playing team offense. Then they lose again and Rabil abolutely loses his mind in the locker room after. Tough to watch on multiple fronts but there's no denying the dude cares about what he does and it shows in the success of the league to this point. But perhaps a result of that is his alienation from his peers. Running the league and playing in it simultaneously was impossible and he realized that maybe a year too late. It's not an entirely flattering portrait but at the end of the day I think he comes off sympathetic.
I have never been a fan of Paul Rabil. I have always thought that he had a massive ego and always put himself before the league. After watching the documentary I have a completely different view of him. Rabil and his brother Mike put everything on the line for this league. And I believe that Paul felt compelled to play in order to show that the league was showcasing the greatest players in the sport, even though it was obvious he was not enjoying it much.

This documentary did not show him in a glowing light, as I had anticipated. It showed him as a human being, warts and all. I am not sure that the PLL will ever become anything more than a niche league with middling attendance figures. But if Mike and Paul actually make this a billion dollar venture, I could not be happier for them. The commitment and sacrifices that they have made to get this going makes me want it to succeed even more. I recommend that everyone watch the documentary. It is really well done.

And the PLL is a great product. Early season games can resemble car crashes, but the games get better every week as the teams begin to gel.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

The terps opened an NIL thing. Aside from Grimes getting a few free tee shirts last year from a sports blogging company and maybe something from one of the apparel companies, I don't remember anything about NIL and any of our players. I guess that happens when you miss the ncaa tournament 3 years in a row. Still we have a recognizable brand, our home games are all nationally televised and now that the big ten has settled its massive tv deal there's more tv exposure coming from someplace. Compare us to Georgetown, yes it's a more successful program right now but most of their games are on that rancid online streaming site. The part on the terp site about social media is interesting. Petro seemed to always want the guys to stay off the online nonsense.

https://umterps.com/news/2022/8/29/terr ... dorse.aspx
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:49 am The terps opened an NIL thing. Aside from Grimes getting a few free tee shirts last year from a sports blogging company and maybe something from one of the apparel companies, I don't remember anything about NIL and any of our players.
Sometimes I wonder if you really are posting from a psych ward where they severely limit your media exposure. Connor DeSimone was one of a handful of players with an STX deal, it was all over social media the entire season and he did several videos with/for them. You yourself could not shut up about it. There aren't a whole lot of opportunities for a lacrosse player that are bigger than that. You're not going to see anybody sign with Nike or Gatorade. Maybe Under Armour because of the local connection but even that seems farfetched for athletes in such a niche sport. No matter how hard you post about it, lacrosse is never going to be football or basketball.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:49 am The terps opened an NIL thing. Aside from Grimes getting a few free tee shirts last year from a sports blogging company and maybe something from one of the apparel companies, I don't remember anything about NIL and any of our players. I guess that happens when you miss the ncaa tournament 3 years in a row. Still we have a recognizable brand, our home games are all nationally televised and now that the big ten has settled its massive tv deal there's more tv exposure coming from someplace. Compare us to Georgetown, yes it's a more successful program right now but most of their games are on that rancid online streaming site. The part on the terp site about social media is interesting. Petro seemed to always want the guys to stay off the online nonsense.

https://umterps.com/news/2022/8/29/terr ... dorse.aspx
I think Connor DeSimone and Joey Epstein had NIL deals.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... nges/58279

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:07 pm
jhu06 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:49 am The terps opened an NIL thing. Aside from Grimes getting a few free tee shirts last year from a sports blogging company and maybe something from one of the apparel companies, I don't remember anything about NIL and any of our players.
Sometimes I wonder if you really are posting from a psych ward where they severely limit your media exposure. Connor DeSimone was one of a handful of players with an STX deal, it was all over social media the entire season and he did several videos with/for them. You yourself could not shut up about it. There aren't a whole lot of opportunities for a lacrosse player that are bigger than that. You're not going to see anybody sign with Nike or Gatorade. Maybe Under Armour because of the local connection but even that seems farfetched for athletes in such a niche sport. No matter how hard you post about it, lacrosse is never going to be football or basketball.
I forgot about it.

Probably matters to the players and recruiting which count.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:07 pm
Sometimes I wonder if you really are posting from a psych ward where they severely limit your media exposure. Connor DeSimone was one of a handful of players with an STX deal, it was all over social media
LMFAO :lol:
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:53 am

I think the Crawley scene gives us a little glimpse into how he might be as a coach. Values trust. Values the sum is greater than its parts. If everyone is doing their part, it helps everyone be better. Not afraid to speak his mind to the Founder of the PLL, Hopkins legend, etc... He was honest, firm but respectful, and in a way, pleading with Rabil to trust his teammates. Rabil also didn't really push back and showed that he had respect for Crawley. It could have easily turned sideways if the respect wasn't there going both ways.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”