The Independent State Legislature Doctrine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
HooDat

Re: SCOTUS

Post by HooDat »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:Never had Alchemist products, will look for some!
they are quite good! Famous for their Heady-Topper, but I actually prefer Focal Banger.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote:
a fan wrote:This is the Trump era, Ggait. Lying is just fake news. You think R voters give two figs if Kavanaugh is caught in a lie?

I sure don't. Anything short of Kavanaugh murdering Trump is fair game for these voters.
Wouldn't be so sure about that a fan. It depends on how inflated this all becomes. Watch for more alleged victims coming forward?

I do agree with you regarding "lying." Thanks to lawyers in general, spin doctors/damage controllers, and now shoddy, duplicitous media/reporting practices (fake news), more than ever, lying has become subjective.
If I'm not mistaken, I think what a fan was saying is that the hard core Trumpist voters won't believe anything that runs contrary to what Trump tells them to think.

I had the reaction to the phrase "R voters" as overly broad, as there do remain a few 'R voters' who are not hardcore Trumpists. But that's indeed a dwindling # as many are re-identifying as independents, not willing to be associated with this Trumpist dominated GOP. We're seeing that with some major R donors, getting reported today.

On Kavanaugh in specific, my hunch would be that if the event did happen, it may have been a one-time drunken event. The kind of thing he may well have been horrified by as out of character and excused by drunkenness. That would be consistent with how many other girls/women saw him, including the woman I know who has done an ad for him based on her friendship begun as Yale classmates. His problem, though, is that his denial was/is so far uncategorical, leaving no room for him to now say that the event occurred, not something he ever intended as an assault, thank god wasn't worse, never happened again.

If there are more women of anything remotely similar credibility as this first, that's a whole other matter, of course. But my hunch would be a one time stupid, drunken event that went wrong, not a serial predator type.

But the lie, the cover-up is disqualifying...if true.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HooDat wrote:
they are quite good! Famous for their Heady-Topper, but I actually prefer Focal Banger.
Thanks, I don't think they're at my closest wine store, so will need to go a little further afield to get a better selection.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote:
tech37 wrote:
a fan wrote:This is the Trump era, Ggait. Lying is just fake news. You think R voters give two figs if Kavanaugh is caught in a lie?

I sure don't. Anything short of Kavanaugh murdering Trump is fair game for these voters.
Wouldn't be so sure about that a fan. It depends on how inflated this all becomes. Watch for more alleged victims coming forward?

I do agree with you regarding "lying." Thanks to lawyers in general, spin doctors/damage controllers, and now shoddy, duplicitous media/reporting practices (fake news), more than ever, lying has become subjective.
The election is in how many days?

You gents think that Republican Senators would jeopardize a SCOTUS pick over this? An allegation made in K's High School years?

No chance.

Look at it this way. Which would appeal Republican voters more: calling this Kavanaugh thing "fake news' and voting him in?

Or losing the Senate in a matter of days, and losing the pick altogether? Because if the Dems take the Senate, it's game over. There's NO WAY they'll give Trump a pick.

Dems played hardball here with this leak. R's would be fools to take the bait.
It only takes two R's. Collins and Murkowski already have a tough vote to make for other reasons, this provides cover if her testimony is indeed credible (and sounds like it may well be). I'd predict that retiring R Senators would signal joining them. Which would trigger a withdrawal of the nomination. No way they force a vote they would lose.

I'm not so sure the Senate flips. But either way, it would be an excuse to go back to a 60 votes required standard. Which means the candidate would need to be centrist enough to get 60 votes.

If the Dems win control, it would be very, very smart politically.

If R's retain control of Senate but the wave does hit the House hard, it might be a way to signal a new era for the traditional GOP to separate itself from Trump going down in flames. Try to re-establish some independent institutional credibility.

Know who would pass in such a re-set?
Merrick Garland.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
HooDat wrote:
Thanks, I don't think they're at my closest wine store, so will need to go a little further afield to get a better selection.
It will be next to impossible to find it that far south.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:
HooDat wrote:
Guess I better let my fingers do the walking.

What's their distribution area?

EDIT: Vermont
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote:
tech37 wrote:

You gents think that Republican Senators would jeopardize a SCOTUS pick over this? An allegation made in K's High School years?
a fan you're not reading. Read my first sentence again..."how inflated this becomes" & "more alleged victims coming forward."

If this is a one-time, drunken, youthful indiscretion, and that comes across during examinations, I believe he'll be confirmed and should be. BTW, this is completely different from the Anita Hill accusations...that happened in the work place and Thomas certainly wasn't 17 years old.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
Typical Lax Dad wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:
HooDat wrote:

Yep.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote:
a fan wrote:
tech37 wrote:

a fan you're not reading. Read my first sentence again..."how inflated this becomes" & "more alleged victims coming forward."

If this is a one-time, drunken, youthful indiscretion, and that comes across during examinations, I believe he'll be confirmed and should be. BTW, this is completely different from the Anita Hill accusations...that happened in the work place and Thomas certainly wasn't 17 years old.
I'd agree, if he hadn't so categorically denied it ever happened. The lie, the cover-up is the issue, not the mistake as a high schooler.

I don't think it makes a hill of beans, no pun intended, whether it was workplace or not. The accusation is much worse than creepy, sexual behavior, it's actual assault. But if a one-time, stupid, drunken event that didn't end in rape, in high school, then I do agree that it could be forgivable. But forgiveness, including in the political context, begins with remorse. And there's no evidence of remorse, just denial.

And, at this point, it's too late to come clean and make it through to the Supreme Court...but sure, forgiveness from the victim and from his family, and with God, etc is all quite possible...with honesty and remorse.

But the cover-up kills the nomination.
And the horse has left the barn on that.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
tech37 wrote:
a fan wrote:
tech37 wrote:

I'd agree, if he hadn't so categorically denied it ever happened. The lie, the cover-up is the issue, not the mistake as a high schooler.
That's a good point. So then it really comes down to his credibility (denial) vs hers.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HooDat wrote:
Yes, mr. Goggles is much better than mr. topper. Still prefer BBC though. And Jacks Abby. And Trillium.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote:
HooDat wrote:
Yes, mr. Goggles is much better than mr. topper. Still prefer BBC though. And Jacks Abby. And Trillium.
Industrial Arts has good beers also.....Suarez Family (upstate NY) is also good.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
Typical Lax Dad wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:
HooDat wrote:

If you know, you know. Syracuse, NY City. Brought 4 cases of Alchemist products down to the District last week. But you live in "charm city", don't go anywhere near that dump. (drive around it, thru the coutryside, or via Gettysburg/Fredneck )
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:
Typical Lax Dad wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:
HooDat wrote:

If you know, you know. Syracuse, NY City. Brought 4 cases of Alchemist products down to the District last week. But you live in "charm city", don't go anywhere near that dump. (drive around it, thru the coutryside, or via Gettysburg/Fredneck )
That is a very nice route to take!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Kavanaugh ~ evidently, a man after Trump's own heart.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
ggait

Post by ggait »

Laura Ingraham
‏Verified account @IngrahamAngle
5h5 hours ago

Accuser Christine Ford's PARENTS Were Defendants in a 1996 Foreclosure Case, Presided Over by Kavanaugh’s Mother
So the trashing-back begins. The accuser is trying to get revenge against the Kavanaugh family because Kavanaugh's mom (who is a state court judge) foreclosed on their house...

Real story is that Ford's parents had some financial difficulties many years after the Kavanaugh incident would have taken place. The bank filed legal papers. Parents and bank reached a settlement, and Kavanaugh's mom granted the bank's unopposed motion to dismiss the lawsuit. Ford's parents still live in the same house today.

Now that's what I call effing fake news. Nice work Laura!!
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

that's bad. really bad

man while they may be phasing the contact out of football and lacrosse - politics remains the one and only true FULL CONTACT sport. :shock:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Typical Lax Dad

ggait wrote:
Laura Ingraham
‏Verified account @IngrahamAngle
5h5 hours ago

Accuser Christine Ford's PARENTS Were Defendants in a 1996 Foreclosure Case, Presided Over by Kavanaugh’s Mother
So the trashing-back begins. The accuser is trying to get revenge against the Kavanaugh family because Kavanaugh's mom (who is a state court judge) foreclosed on their house...

Real story is that Ford's parents had some financial difficulties many years after the Kavanaugh incident would have taken place. The bank filed legal papers. Parents and bank reached a settlement, and Kavanaugh's mom granted the bank's unopposed motion to dismiss the lawsuit. Ford's parents still live in the same house today.

Now that's what I call effing fake news. Nice work Laura!!
may need some liquid plumber to drain that swamp.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... ending-her

The letter, which says it’s from more than 200 alumnae from classes 1967 through 2018,

https://other98.com/brett-kavanaughs-fe ... ng-letter/

Almost 1,000 signatures from YLS

https://shareblue.com/brett-kavanaugh-a ... nd-by-him/

63 women who signed letter have now gone silent on their support.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Again, aren't we losing sight of the emails and Hillary's server?

Looks like Flake, Murkowski, and even Roy Blount of Tennessee are saying that things have to slow down so the woman -- and Kavanaugh -- can be heard.

Return to “POLITICS”