VIRGINIA Lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HowieT3

Re: VIRGINIA Lacrosse

Post by HowieT3 »

Henpecked wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:25 pm This game very easily could have been 20-4. Virginia called off the dogs pretty early.

They are looking primed to take the ACC.
It wasn't just that they called off the dogs, Richmond's goalie came up with some really big saves on what would have been goals if he wasn't as sharp as he was tonight.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

HowieT3 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:14 pm
Henpecked wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:25 pm This game very easily could have been 20-4. Virginia called off the dogs pretty early.

It wasn't just that they called off the dogs, Richmond's goalie came up with some really big saves on what would have been goals if he wasn't as sharp as he was tonight.
Agreed, he made some fantastic stops. This is exactly the kind of win required by this match up to move the needle for the Cavs. They'll want to look at some of those missed opportunities though, a handful of should-haves stuffed by Goodman. Despite the score, player for player this Richmond team could do some damage down the line.

If against Utah tomorrow Virginia can give their bench significant minutes again, they will be in great shape down the line and really get that squad gelling as a whole and primed for the ACC.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HowieT3 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:14 pm

Fair. He's a good tender.
14 saves, 14 goals in 46.5 mins. Rode only needed 6 saves, 5GA in 50mins.
But if a few more had dropped, the foot off the gas pedal would likely have started even earlier.

That said, if you look at who scored and assisted in the 2nd half, it's pretty clear that the starters weren't much involved by mid 3rd Q (Kraus did score with 4:05 left in 3rd). A couple of GB's by a 1st line midfielder, but most of the PT was the back-ups, certainly in 4th.

3 goalies got time, though Rode played 50 mins.
Burkinshaw, 2 saves 0 GA in 6 mins, Hudson 0 saves, 2GA.

Pretty darn impressive given how Richmond has given fits to a number of good teams this year.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Nice win.I expected Richmond to give a better performance.At times,their goalie stood on his head. LaSalla looks as if he's gaining confidence.Behind the back goals can inspire that. Laviano was fun to watch at CSH H.S.He's continues to impress.The D appears to be jelling.Hope this win serves as a launch point for success,the rest of the season.
45wewantmore

Post by 45wewantmore »

well done to Coach Lars Tiffany

this team has speed and depth but the thing that impressed me most was team "swagger" for want of a better word, chemistry, spirit.

the over riding thought after watching this game was of a sputtering rocket, misfiring, timing is a little bit off but if they can change the plugs, they have the potential to explode.

riding like your hair is on fire

Attack - Attack - Attack

This is a 6 litre muscle car against family saloons

Coach em up:
my favourite part was after a rookie mistake, Coach gave a player a reality check on the sideline caught on camera which was immediately followed by 5 or 6 players, providing direct feedback one after the other with an "atta boy" "you can do this" "get the next one"

This wasn't a Hallmark made for TV Movie moment, it was in your face, personal feedback which left nothing to the imagination...

you messed up - we don't do that - you are one of us and we are with you

this team reminded me of UVA 2006 at times, they are capable of playing at a speed & intensity other teams can't match.

the disappointing thing was the game ended and that they didn't play at that level for the whole game
forget Arkansas "40 Minutes of Hell" I'd love to see the Tiffany UVA version with "60 Minutes of Hell"

10 Man ride
Full field press
Run the whole bench
Blow the doors off
Fun and Gun

the defence and goalies are not Larson Kemp, Tullet, Jack Kelly yet but they are starting to feel it
GBO - Ground Ball Offence, get the GB and get it upfield

it great to see Ryan Conrad #22 getting back to full health, he is a remarkable athlete reminds me of personal favs Matt Abbott

push the tempo -
in any contest one team is more athletic than the other
but it only counts if you use that athleticism & speed
UVA maybe that team in most contests
get comfortable being uncomfortable playing all out
no need for a shot clock for UVA but it is the perfect environment for them as opponents have nowhere to hide
molo

Post by molo »

Top four ranking tomorrow?
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... nrad/54178

Great interview with Conrad on Dixie's podcast. 46 gbs in 10 games! I agree with all his answers: Salt, Stanwick, Killers, Virginia vineyards and mountains. This one will be all out from both teams today. 70 degrees and partly cloudy, 0% chance of rain, Kloeckner at 1 pm....where else would you want to be? Gonna be fun.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:56 am https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... nrad/54178

Great interview with Conrad on Dixie's podcast. 46 gbs in 10 games! I agree with all his answers: Salt, Stanwick, Killers, Virginia vineyards and mountains. This one will be all out from both teams today. 70 degrees and partly cloudy, 0% chance of rain, Kloeckner at 1 pm....where else would you want to be? Gonna be fun.
Thanks for posting that. Ryan is one of my favorite players in college. Jake Stevens, freshman at Princeton, reminds me of Ryan for his play between the boxes. He has 47 gbs in 9 games.....
“I wish you would!”
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

blue angels wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:47 am
wahoomurf wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:51 pm "Rocky Point Petey" mad huge strides since fall ball.He's a terrific young man and a consummate gentleman.The LaSallas did a fine job raising him.

And no I am not his father!
Murf, what can you tell us about the recent flip commitment, Bienkowski? Suffolk County player of the year is nothing to sneeze at.
I never heard of Bienkowski.Just as I was not aware of Merle. My bad I guess.I'm going to the WM-West Islip game this week,I'll sniff around and see if I can get some G-2 on the young man.
molo

Post by molo »

Big distraction for a team that is on a roll. He’d start for many good teams.
raddadsofficial

Post by raddadsofficial »

Tough break for UVA. Rode is a fine keeper, but Burkinshaw seems like future AA material from the brief glimpses that we've seen of him. Surprised he didn't get more of a chance after that outstanding game against Princeton and a solid performance in the dome. UVA has been on a roll lately, but they'll need more consistency in cage to really make a run into the postseason. It'll be interesting to see how this staff responds from here on out if Rode has a shaky start.
a global lifestyle movement and fashion house for Dads of extraordinary taste.
🏆 '16, '18, '21 & '22 NYC Fall, '19 SF Winter & '19 Boulder Spring ULAX " World Champions " 🏆
https://linktr.ee/raddadsofficial
instagram: @raddadsofficial
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

molo wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:22 pm Big distraction for a team that is on a roll. He’d start for many good teams.

Which schools do you think he’s thinking of? Hopkins is top of my list; Petro surely is on this. Loyola (Stover is a senior). While I’m in Maryland, Towson? Playing for Nadelin is great.

Maryland? Tillman is a guy whom everyone loves and Fairman can help attract a fellow NEWest kid.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Tillman attracts transfers (8 on the Terp's roster) like scata attracts flies.And Dolan is a senior. Burkinshaw is heading to Terpland.
Last edited by wahoomurf on Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boxster54

Post by Boxster54 »

In my opinion he should stay and compete for the job. Pulling this nonsense now when the team needs to count on everyone to achieve their goals is selfish. This is a life lesson both players will likely face at work once their lacrosse careers are over. How you handle this challenge and adversity now will have a huge impact in your life later on when it really matters. I'm sure he knew what he was walking into when he committed that nothing was guaranteed. It never is. Perhaps there are other circumstances we are not aware of, however, this is big time Division 1 lacrosse where all the players are really good and want to play. The kid has the talent to be the starter. I say push the other guy in practice and win the job or else be there to help the team be better in practice and be ready to play in an important game when your number is called, like it was in Princeton. Sorry, but I tend to be old school on this stuff...
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

A certain Ivy that has shown a proclivity for accepting transfers and is not so far from Burkinshaw’s high school seems like an obvious answer here.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:55 pm
molo wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:22 pm Big distraction for a team that is on a roll. He’d start for many good teams.

Which schools do you think he’s thinking of? Hopkins is top of my list; Petro surely is on this. Loyola (Stover is a senior). While I’m in Maryland, Towson? Playing for Nadelin is great.

Maryland? Tillman is a guy whom everyone loves and Fairman can help attract a fellow NEWest kid.
I have no knowledge on the situation but Virginia to Towson? Do you think He is struggling academically?
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Sting The Corner wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:08 pm A certain Ivy that has shown a proclivity for accepting transfers and is not so far from Burkinshaw’s high school seems like an obvious answer here.
Columbia? .... sorry, couldn't help it. I think they're closer to his high school than Yale.

:P
molo

Post by molo »

I'm conflicted about this one and agree with the thoughts posted on the UVA board by a guy who uses his late fox terrier as a screen name.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

blue angels wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:14 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:55 pm

I have no knowledge on the situation but Virginia to Towson? Do you think He is struggling academically?

No, nothing like that. Sean Nadelen is a coach whom kids love to play for. Same goes with Tillman. Tillman and Nadelen are upstate New York guys who are just fantastic leaders of young men. Say whatever you want of whatever school, but a head coach is often the deciding factor on a transfer. I might agree with Wahoomurf here. Given that Burkinshaw has three more years, this is a huge deal. (Btw, it’d be highly unlikely that he changes his mind and stays. Rode is playing well and is only a sophomore. Once you ring the transfer bell, it can’t be unrung).

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”