D3 Men Rankings

D3 Mens Lacrosse
billyosier

Re: D3 Men Rankings

Post by billyosier »

Nothing But Net wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:22 pm Trinity (who would win the LL easy)

Win the LL easy?? Cmon, be realistic. They wouldn't sniff the top 4.
ergit

Re: Top 20 Ranking D3

Post by ergit »

Dropping Amherst and Tufts to #5 and #6 behind York is a little harsh but I guess it’s a case of ‘what have you done for me lately’.
Taking an early or mid-season loss is not the end of the world and good teams will learn from it.
richard

Post by richard »

I really do not understand how they rank the centennial teams. Gettysburg is way too high and I think should be below Ursinus and F&M. Dickinson should not be in the top twenty after loosing to the squirrels. You can't do that and still be there. Union is way underrated. And how is CNU still in there? Lynchburg would be a better choice. after seeing them manhandle Noke on Friday I was impressed with their improvement in the last couple of weeks. Cabrini and Denison have become question marks also.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Scarlet wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:51 pm That is last week’s poll. There will be movement this week to account for wins and losses this past week. Interested to see how the top NESCAC teams are ranked.

Ah. I see that. My bad.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

richard wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:21 pm I really do not understand how they rank the centennial teams. Gettysburg is way too high and I think should be below Ursinus and F&M. Dickinson should not be in the top twenty after loosing to the squirrels. You can't do that and still be there. Union is way underrated. And how is CNU still in there? Lynchburg would be a better choice. after seeing them manhandle Noke on Friday I was impressed with their improvement in the last couple of weeks. Cabrini and Denison have become question marks also.
Agreed, this is a weak effort. No idea what CNU doing in there, Gettysburg is way to high, Union too low. Cabrini has played two very good teams and lost to both handily, they are way to high. How are they possibly ahead of Williams? Both have 2 losses, all to top 6 teams but Williams were 1 and 2 goal games and Cabrini 4 (game not that close) and 8. Williams has wins over, at least in this poll, the #5, #12, #16 and #17 teams, Cabrini a win over #14. I know it is annoying if you are not a fan of the league this year to see 4 or 5 NESCAC teams in the top 10 or 12 but many traditional powerhouses are just somewhat down this year (i.e. Gettysburg, OWU, etc) and the top of the NESCAC is historically string this year.
Nothing But Net

Post by Nothing But Net »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:45 pm
richard wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:21 pm I really do not understand how they rank the centennial teams. Gettysburg is way too high and I think should be below Ursinus and F&M. Dickinson should not be in the top twenty after loosing to the squirrels. You can't do that and still be there. Union is way underrated. And how is CNU still in there? Lynchburg would be a better choice. after seeing them manhandle Noke on Friday I was impressed with their improvement in the last couple of weeks. Cabrini and Denison have become question marks also.
Agreed, this is a weak effort. No idea what CNU doing in there, Gettysburg is way to high, Union too low. Cabrini has played two very good teams and lost to both handily, they are way to high. How are they possibly ahead of Williams? Both have 2 losses, all to top 6 teams but Williams were 1 and 2 goal games and Cabrini 4 (game not that close) and 8. Williams has wins over, at least in this poll, the #5, #12, #16 and #17 teams, Cabrini a win over #14. I know it is annoying if you are not a fan of the league this year to see 4 or 5 NESCAC teams in the top 10 or 12 but many traditional powerhouses are just somewhat down this year (i.e. Gettysburg, OWU, etc) and the top of the NESCAC is historically string this year.
I second that agreement; the guys doing this poll is not watching the same games we're watching
NBN Top 20

1 Salisbury
2 RIT
3 Amherst
4 Tufts
5 Williams
6 Wesleyan
7 York
8 Ursinus
9 Bates
10 Union
11 Stevens
12 St. Lawrence
13 Cabrini
14 Denison
15 RPI
16 F&M
17 Lynchburg
18 W&L
19 Gettysburg
20 Trinity
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Nothing But Net wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:51 pm
pcowlax wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:45 pm
I second that agreement; the guys doing this poll is not watching the same games we're watching
NBN Top 20

1 Salisbury
2 RIT
3 Amherst
4 Tufts
5 Williams
6 Wesleyan
7 York
8 Ursinus
9 Bates
10 Union
11 Stevens
12 St. Lawrence
13 Cabrini
14 Denison
15 RPI
16 F&M
17 Lynchburg
18 W&L
19 Gettysburg
20 Trinity
Nbn I think you got 17 and 18 mixed up but otherwise pretty good. 4/20 should be epic 😎
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/r ... ens-top-20

US Laxrosse closer to NBN.
You’ll like your Generals at 14 Dehunt! We like being underdogs over the hill in LYN😳
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

MrLax2U wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:43 pm
their Ws over Cabrini, Gettysburg, and Lynchburg are not as impressive.
But Salisbury doesn't have any losses. That must not count as much in your formula.

And what about weight given for strength of coaching staff. Berkman, Axel, Sandlin, Cirillo, Miller, Block and Gallagher have a few NC rings among them. Name a team sport where coaching doesn't play a factor in games.
For sure the computer doesn't include Coaches' resumes in their Ranking. And, you're correct. A team that loses to a team better than or very similar to them in Points, loses few Points. e.g. 800 Points loses to 850 Points. This game says little about either team. if it says anything it's that their Point totals are accurate. 800 loses to 600, very different.
RetiredCardinal

Post by RetiredCardinal »

This escalated almost as quickly as a Ty Xanders Top 25 HS list. :D
Tigerlax70

Post by Tigerlax70 »

admin wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:28 pm Best Ws, Worst Ls is not twisted logic. Williams may very well not be the best team in D3 lacrosse, but based on their Ws over Amherst, Bates, and Union and their only losses being vs. Wesleyan and Tufts, they have the best resume. So, Salisbury may be better than Williams but, even with no losses, their Ws over Cabrini, Gettysburg, and Lynchburg are not as impressive.

Trinity would win the LL easy?!
This final statement is a misprint, right? If not, back off the bong. I can only surmise that you were thinking of another league. A certain team in Rochester, NY might question your logic. Even fellow members of the NESCAC who I greatly admire and who deserve all the accolades they get would find your statement laughable. Just for comparison purposes, Trinity lost to Bates 20-19 while RIT beat Bates on the road 14-12. You probably used the same logic the USILA Coaches Poll used to jump Tufts over RIT this week. While Tufts was losing it’s first game this week, RIT defeated Cortland by the same margin of victory as Tufts and absolutely annihilated #15 RPI 22-13 (it was 19-6 at one point in the second half) and RPI’s starters scored 7 goals in garbage time. What more does a team need to do to hold their position? Tufts may very well be a better team than RIT, but Trinity? I think not. Please enlighten me on what criteria you used when formulating your claim that Trinity would win the Liberty League easily?
Nothing But Net

Post by Nothing But Net »

Tigerlax70 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:30 pm
admin wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:28 pm Best Ws, Worst Ls is not twisted logic. Williams may very well not be the best team in D3 lacrosse, but based on their Ws over Amherst, Bates, and Union and their only losses being vs. Wesleyan and Tufts, they have the best resume. So, Salisbury may be better than Williams but, even with no losses, their Ws over Cabrini, Gettysburg, and Lynchburg are not as impressive.

This final statement is a misprint, right? If not, back off the bong. I can only surmise that you were thinking of another league. A certain team in Rochester, NY might question your logic. Even fellow members of the NESCAC who I greatly admire and who deserve all the accolades they get would find your statement laughable. Just for comparison purposes, Trinity lost to Bates 20-19 while RIT beat Bates on the road 14-12. You probably used the same logic the USILA Coaches Poll used to jump Tufts over RIT this week. While Tufts was losing it’s first game this week, RIT defeated Cortland by the same margin of victory as Tufts and absolutely annihilated #15 RPI 22-13 (it was 19-6 at one point in the second half) and RPI’s starters scored 7 goals in garbage time. What more does a team need to do to hold their position? Tufts may very well be a better team than RIT, but Trinity? I think not. Please enlighten me on what criteria you used when formulating your claim that Trinity would win the Liberty League easily?
LOL, true on the league, was thinking Centennial Conference when I made that comment,... my bust there TL70.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just, for the record, it isn't just RIT. St. L, RPI, Union...
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Why are you guys picking on the Bullets? They struggled early against Salisbury and York both legit NC contenders. They are starting a freshman goalie who was a little shell shocked early but has made great strides as the season goes on and have had a few key injuries. They dominated a previously undefeated Ursinus and outplayed W&L for 54 minutes to hold on for the W. The conference loss at F&M is not terrible. As of today I believe they are a top 8-10 team. Assuming they make the tournament they will not be an easy out and not many teams will be happy to see them on their side of the bracket.

GO BULLETS!
Tigerlax70

Post by Tigerlax70 »

Nothing But Net wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:40 pm
Tigerlax70 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:30 pm

LOL, true on the league, was thinking Centennial Conference when I made that comment,... my bust there TL70.
It takes a real man to admit his blunder. Don’t know enough about the Centennial Conference to comment but thanks for your acknowledgement. No harm, no foul.
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

Whiskeydog wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:51 pm This actually looks pretty accurate to me.
No doubt the top five are very good teams, but.... Who knows, maybe all five are superior to Salisbury, but I'm guessing most of you endorsing these rankings wouldn't bet a dime on even a "majority" of them beating SU. Time will tell, but I think some of those algorithms might need some tweaking....
tdaussie

Post by tdaussie »

Fully admitting Bullets bias kicking in here but no way you can have Ursinus #8 and GB #19. Bullets destroyed Bears 2 weeks ago - scoreline was extremely flattering to UB.

Bullets losses are to 3 pretty good squads - Salisbury, York and F&M. They should be early teens at worst in any poll.
richard

Post by richard »

Bullets results so far are mixed. Best wins are Ursinus and W&L. You might not like the 13-9 but that was it. Wins vs mules by 1, Stevie and Messiah by a couple are the next best. I have them at 15. They are not top ten. Stevens, Cabrini, Denison and F&M are up on them. Denison and Cabrini have not done much and are questionable. They will win out in their conferences and get their AQs. Then we will see.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So there's no confusion, I just merged two D3 Men Rankings topics.
ergit

Post by ergit »

In a serious effort to stir the pot...
Serious NC contenders in no particular order (where I'd put my money)

Likely:
Salisbury
RIT
Amherst
Tufts

Possible, unlikely (but prove me wrong):
Wesleyan
York

Unlikely:
Williams
Bates
Sorry Williams and Bates, you don't go from a .500 team to a national championship in one year. Too many big wins necessary in the final two or three games of the tournament.

Everyone else...

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”