CNU 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
InsiderRoll

Re: CNU 2023

Post by InsiderRoll »

Asgot wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:53 pm
Laxguy703 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:33 pm Aside from recruiting talk, I am super curious to see how CNU looks this year. They lose Coach Thompson’s first recruiting class now that the 5th years are gone and they also lose Altobello. I think a lot of the graduates are pretty replaceable outside of Wayne, Hines, Rice, and Altobello. Those four right there combined for 115 G’s, 61 Assists, 155 GB’s and 122 CT’s this past year.

On the bright side, they return 6 AA’s and some non-accoladed studs in Drew Miller, Ryan Young, Alex Brendes, and Aidan Wheeler. That’s a good core group to lead your team.

Biggest questions in my opinion are:
Who takes the keys to the offense now that Rice is gone?
Who’s the new #1 cover guy on defense?
Who’s going to be that 3rd middie on the 1st Line?
Will Brett Jackson take a big sophomore leap? Anyone who followed CNU last year knows that kid can be a star.

Thoughts?
Love to get back to talking about CNU on this CNU thread. Would love to know if Pozin is coming back, I thought he was the spark plug for this team most of the year. They have lots of really good pieces coming back including there goalie and their fogo but losing their top pole, attackman and middie may take them a little while to adjust. I am sure that they bringing in really good players but just like everyone else that goes back to more normalcy they are going to need to fill in with there talented recruiting classes
Pozin returning would be a huge piece. FOs should remain a major strength. The goaltending was great at times and at times inconsistent, never bad though. I would imagine that at least stays the same if not improves. Offense loses a few good players but returns more than enough potency to be thought of as one of the best returning units in the country. I do think the defense is the question mark. I have no reason to think they’d be bad, but losing Wayne will not be an easy solution to come up with. At the end of the day perhaps their best attribute from last year was their team speed, which IMO was fueled from their great defensive midfield and carried through the pace that they played offense. The ride is certainly a major part of that team speed. I’m sure they have no intention of breaking away from that model, but with personnel changes there are always new challenges.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:52 pm
Asgot wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:53 pm
Laxguy703 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:33 pm Aside from recruiting talk, I am super curious to see how CNU looks this year. They lose Coach Thompson’s first recruiting class now that the 5th years are gone and they also lose Altobello. I think a lot of the graduates are pretty replaceable outside of Wayne, Hines, Rice, and Altobello. Those four right there combined for 115 G’s, 61 Assists, 155 GB’s and 122 CT’s this past year.

On the bright side, they return 6 AA’s and some non-accoladed studs in Drew Miller, Ryan Young, Alex Brendes, and Aidan Wheeler. That’s a good core group to lead your team.

Biggest questions in my opinion are:
Who takes the keys to the offense now that Rice is gone?
Who’s the new #1 cover guy on defense?
Who’s going to be that 3rd middie on the 1st Line?
Will Brett Jackson take a big sophomore leap? Anyone who followed CNU last year knows that kid can be a star.

Thoughts?
Love to get back to talking about CNU on this CNU thread. Would love to know if Pozin is coming back, I thought he was the spark plug for this team most of the year. They have lots of really good pieces coming back including there goalie and their fogo but losing their top pole, attackman and middie may take them a little while to adjust. I am sure that they bringing in really good players but just like everyone else that goes back to more normalcy they are going to need to fill in with there talented recruiting classes
Pozin returning would be a huge piece. FOs should remain a major strength. The goaltending was great at times and at times inconsistent, never bad though. I would imagine that at least stays the same if not improves. Offense loses a few good players but returns more than enough potency to be thought of as one of the best returning units in the country. I do think the defense is the question mark. I have no reason to think they’d be bad, but losing Wayne will not be an easy solution to come up with. At the end of the day perhaps their best attribute from last year was their team speed, which IMO was fueled from their great defensive midfield and carried through the pace that they played offense. The ride is certainly a major part of that team speed. I’m sure they have no intention of breaking away from that model, but with personnel changes there are always new changes.
There ride was awesome, so tough to replicate the speed of that ride. It losing Hines and Wayne out of the ride are going to be tough to replace because so much of that kind of ride is about instinct. if that is right about Pozin that is a huge piece to keep. And bringing back the defender will certainly help.

Do you know of the are playing in their new conference next year?
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

I heard tempers got a little out of control in the Captains vs Black Eyed Suzies game in Ocean City. Anyone know what happened?
NewEnglandNative

Post by NewEnglandNative »

JPAtlantic wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:21 pm I heard tempers got a little out of control in the Captains vs Black Eyed Suzies game in Ocean City. Anyone know what happened?
I heard from a friend it was just boys being boys-- chirps were thrown one guy took it to far and people reacted in a less then favorable way. Doesn't surprise me CNU has a few guys on their roster that are uber competitive (part of the reason they are successful) and will run their mouth for a mental edge.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I heard a slightly different version where the CNU guys were taking further than it needed to go. I played on some good club teams after college and it was pretty competitive but it never got out of hand.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Asgot wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:10 am I heard a slightly different version where the CNU guys were taking further than it needed to go. I played on some good club teams after college and it was pretty competitive but it never got out of hand.
Asked around about this and both stories are pretty inaccurate.. CNU guy threw a couple hacks on a suzies players arm, suzies player didn’t like the hacks so he hit said CNU player in the head with a cross check from behind. CNU bench didn’t like that and went after suzies player to let him know they didn’t like that. No punches thrown or anything and both teams were laughing after. All in good nature.

Keep in mind this is a “lacrosse tournament” in Ocean City, Maryland during the summer where a bunch of 21-25 year olds are unsupervised for 4 days… The odds that both teams were properly hydrated and taking these games seriously are extremely slim :lol:
allthingsODAC

Post by allthingsODAC »

Anyone have a idea of who is coming back for the fifth year or if there are any transfers coming in
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I would be interested in this as well as they have a chance to be excellent again this year. Like it was said before Pozin coming back would be huge, but there are other players that could be a huge help if they returned
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:58 pm
Asgot wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:10 am I heard a slightly different version where the CNU guys were taking further than it needed to go. I played on some good club teams after college and it was pretty competitive but it never got out of hand.
Asked around about this and both stories are pretty inaccurate.. CNU guy threw a couple hacks on a suzies players arm, suzies player didn’t like the hacks so he hit said CNU player in the head with a cross check from behind. CNU bench didn’t like that and went after suzies player to let him know they didn’t like that. No punches thrown or anything and both teams were laughing after. All in good nature.

Keep in mind this is a “lacrosse tournament” in Ocean City, Maryland during the summer where a bunch of 21-25 year olds are unsupervised for 4 days… The odds that both teams were properly hydrated and taking these games seriously are extremely slim :lol:
Yes. They paid for the games. Traveled far distance. And there is bragging rights (see this page). Yes, they took it serious.
Ol'Southlacrosse

Post by Ol'Southlacrosse »

Thing I love most about CNU lacrosse is that they pay their players. I personally love this especially now with NIL. You don't get to top without out cashing checks.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Jumbo wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:35 pm

Yes. They paid for the games. Traveled far distance. And there is bragging rights (see this page). Yes, they took it serious.
You clearly have never played in the OC classic if you think that these any these teams in the B division were taking the tournament seriously lol… the A division plays for money so I can see your point there, but try playing a game hungover at 9AM on a Saturday and tell me how much effort you put into that game :lol: :lol:

From what I heard they had their two best offensive middies playing close defense and their starting defenders running attack. They even put in one of their attackman in at goalie just for laughs… Clearly putting it all out there on the field.

Now back to “Actual” lacrosse. I know they are bringing back Two All-Americans in Pozin and Widhelhm. Not sure what other seniors are coming back. Excited to see what this new Freshman class can do.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:45 pm

You clearly have never played in the OC classic if you think that these any these teams in the B division were taking the tournament seriously lol… the A division plays for money so I can see your point there, but try playing a game hungover at 9AM on a Saturday and tell me how much effort you put into that game :lol: :lol:

From what I heard they had their two best offensive middies playing close defense and their starting defenders running attack. They even put in one of their attackman in at goalie just for laughs… Clearly putting it all out there on the field.

Now back to “Actual” lacrosse. I know they are bringing back Two All-Americans in Pozin and Widhelhm. Not sure what other seniors are coming back. Excited to see what this new Freshman class can do.
Cool that you think these players are such drunks that they spend all this money to drive hours, to play games drunk.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Jumbo wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:40 pm

Cool that you think these players are such drunks that they spend all this money to drive hours, to play games drunk.
This post right here shows me you have never played in this tournament. The kids go there to have fun in OC before the end of the summer and happen to also play lacrosse there as well. Ask any college kid that attended this event and I’m sure you will get a similar answer… I played in the tournament years ago and my team had to forfeit a game because the other team didn’t show up due to a happy hour at Seacrets.
Ol'Southlacrosse

Post by Ol'Southlacrosse »

Laxguy703 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:56 am
Jumbo wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:40 pm

This post right here shows me you have never played in this tournament. The kids go there to have fun in OC before the end of the summer and happen to also play lacrosse there as well. Ask any college kid that attended this event and I’m sure you will get a similar answer… I played in the tournament years ago and my team had to forfeit a game because the other team didn’t show up due to a happy hour at Seacrets.
You hit it right on the head Laxguy. Back when I still could get up and down me and some teammates would always try and go to OC. Its all about getting out to the beach and hanging with your buddies. Remember one year had just finished up with a summer internship and that feeling when I was finally able to kick back and go to OC with my pals nothing like that. Getting to play not serious and just fun lacrosse is an added bonus. I think its great that college kids go with their teams does nothing but build team camaraderie.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

[/quote]
You hit it right on the head Laxguy. Back when I still could get up and down me and some teammates would always try and go to OC. Its all about getting out to the beach and hanging with your buddies. Remember one year had just finished up with a summer internship and that feeling when I was finally able to kick back and go to OC with my pals nothing like that. Getting to play not serious and just fun lacrosse is an added bonus. I think its great that college kids go with their teams does nothing but build team camaraderie.
[/quote]

I'll tell you what, if there were more opportunities for guys to play "not serious and just fun lacrosse" along the way, that might be the single best thing we can do to grow the game. Fiddle sticks in the backyard, tournaments like OC - it's important.

I watched the PLL documentary and something that Rabil said caught my ear. He said he hadn't had fun playing the game since he was a kid, and that for a long time he had been playing it "for different reasons". Unfortunately that is probably the case for a lot of guys.
BeatenZone

Post by BeatenZone »

Son graduated as 5th year with Masters. Covid policy was bad all around and I wish it never happened, but some things worked out despite the damage overall. Anyway, after the loss to York in the quarters I had some weeks to think about things while mowing the lawn. CNU will be fine. I saw the schedule today and it is awesome. RIT and Dickinson at the Mustang? I was not planning on going but now...New conference is not ideal, but D3 places many challenges on public programs. Fortunately CNU has a passionate fan base and growing alumni network that helps facilitate travel and lodging.

The talent is deep at CNU. Every player could have started somewhere else, but the team culture motivates these guys to practice and play hard, and the camaraderie is unparalleled. Coaches learned recruiting lessons early. 2019 team was excellent on O and D but literally had no FO. Now they are 4 deep at FO and Cabaniss made AA as a frosh.

CNU should have played in the Natty last year. CNU played uncharacteristically poorly against York while York played an excellent game and goalie Michael was the difference. That is why we play the game. Kudos to York for that win but some team members and fans need instruction on winning with class.

On recruiting, it is ironic that D3 public schools can be at a huge disadvantage with privates when it comes to out-of-state recruits. I know CNU has lost several over the years because of this. What CNU does have to offer is excellent academics and an institutional effort for graduate success. The Luter School of Business is especially Nationally recognized and places grads in excellent career positions. My son at a Big 4 Accounting firm in DC largely responsible to the respect for CNU Business School and efforts to ensure grad placement.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

I’m sure watching your son lose his last game got very emotional. I don’t imagine that there is much celebrating the winning team could do that wouldn’t compound that grief.

Nobody should have played in the championship game except for the teams that actually got there.

You’re right in that CNU is a great program with a great coach. They’ll be fine.
Last edited by DeepPocket on Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

BeatenZone wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:45 pm Son graduated as 5th year with Masters. Covid policy was bad all around and I wish it never happened, but some things worked out despite the damage overall. Anyway, after the loss to York in the quarters I had some weeks to think about things while mowing the lawn. CNU will be fine. I saw the schedule today and it is awesome. RIT and Dickinson at the Mustang? I was not planning on going but now...New conference is not ideal, but D3 places many challenges on public programs. Fortunately CNU has a passionate fan base and growing alumni network that helps facilitate travel and lodging.

The talent is deep at CNU. Every player could have started somewhere else, but the team culture motivates these guys to practice and play hard, and the camaraderie is unparalleled. Coaches learned recruiting lessons early. 2019 team was excellent on O and D but literally had no FO. Now they are 4 deep at FO and Cabaniss made AA as a frosh.

CNU should have played in the Natty last year. CNU played uncharacteristically poorly against York while York played an excellent game and goalie Michael was the difference. That is why we play the game. Kudos to York for that win but some team members and fans need instruction on winning with class.

On recruiting, it is ironic that D3 public schools can be at a huge disadvantage with privates when it comes to out-of-state recruits. I know CNU has lost several over the years because of this. What CNU does have to offer is excellent academics and an institutional effort for graduate success. The Luter School of Business is especially Nationally recognized and places grads in excellent career positions. My son at a Big 4 Accounting firm in DC largely responsible to the respect for CNU Business School and efforts to ensure grad placement.
You are 100% right when it comes to a disadvantage with recruiting out of state. My son was offered a spot on CNU. But as a parent paying, I couldn’t justify the cost difference. Campus is amazing. Team is top notch. But at the end of the day, 15k per year in additional cost times 4 years was 60k more. Even comparing to some ODAC schools. Since they are private, they could adjust cost much more liberally.

CNU will be fine when it comes to recruiting. They throw a wide net with lots of offers to top kids. They still end up getting good players from out of state, regardless of the additional cost
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:19 am I’m sure watching your son lose his last game got very emotional. I don’t imagine that there is much celebrating the winning team could do that wouldn’t compound that grief.

Nobody should have played in the championship game except for the teams that actually got there.

You’re right in that CNU is a great program with a great coach. They’ll be fine.
I agree that nobody “should have” played in the national game but I was honestly surprised CNU did not make it.. When they were at their best they genuinely seemed unbeatable (beating Salisbury 17-7, Williams 15-2, Wesleyan 21-8, Ursinus 16-5 and being up against Gettysburg 15-3 before pulling starters)

Unfortunately for the Captains, you need to be your best every day in late may.. can’t have an off day. Yes, York’s goalie had a day but CNU had multiple times where they could’ve ran away with that game.

On another topic… Apparently some of the freshman are looking pretty good. Wouldn’t be surprised to see some of those guys crack the line up. A lot of open spots.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:07 pm …CNU had multiple times where they could’ve ran away with that game…
There were multiple instances in OT where Jack Michael made the difference, and the game did always feel close, but CNU never even held a lead until about 6 minutes left. Their big run helped them catch-up from a 5-2 deficit at the half. The proclaimed team of destiny losing is a tale as old as time.

In other news their 2023 schedule is out and looks solid.
https://www.cnusports.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/schedule
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”