Rutgers 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
notentitled

Re: Rutgers 2023

Post by notentitled »

This article below may be dated, but a quick google search will show dozens like it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... pling-debt

Nobody in state and local governments are saying NO to spending on athletics, so it will not stop.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

notentitled wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:19 am This article below may be dated, but a quick google search will show dozens like it.

Nobody in state and local governments are saying NO to spending on athletics, so it will not stop.
What happens when tax revenues decline from cyclical peaks?

Absolutes…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Post by 1766 »

notentitled wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:19 am This article below may be dated, but a quick google search will show dozens like it.

Quite the contrary. Gov Murphy is aligned with President Holloway on this issue. Athletic investments are increasing.

Post by 1766 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:03 pm
1766 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:51 pm Syracuse is going to need a lifeline to compete. If the benchmark is "turning a profit", there would be about 10 schools competing.

College sports are marketing. They should be no more expected to turn a profit than the philosophy department. Only they are more valuable in certain ways.

But if we are having an honest discussion, schools like Syracuse are in trouble. At least if they plan on competing at the highest levels.
no one said anything about turning a profit. the horse is way out of the barn on that one. athletics departments can't spend $$ fast enough on revenue coming in. their stock price doesn't rely on profit metrics. they'll put up a new building or add more admin staff for new dough that rolls in. then there's all the accounting shenanigans.

ftr, pre-covid... syracuse brought in about $100 mill. and listed a $16 mill profit. i don't know how much of that was student fees, $$ shifting... but the hoops team alone made $20 mill on $35 mill in revenue. why? because it's a university town, there's nothing else to do in the winter, and they have a facility that allows for it.

but when you start talking about major debt and deficits, even while being funded by the state and the rest of the university, that's altogether different. because that doesn't go away magically. live within your means.

so let's say cuse several years down the road they have $40 million less per year than they otherwise could have, $140 vs 100. they're in a death spiral bc of that? their football team already would need a miracle to "compete" regularly. a number of other sports are well supported as philosophy. you think rutgers, or indiana, or minnesota or on and on in the b1g are in some kind of better position for what? football? they're going to topple tosu, mich, psu, wisco, usc in trying to compete there with the top dogs in conference?

anything's possible, but i say there's a chance that nfw will end up being the case for many teams in the b1g. have you seen what the revenue generated by actual sports sans conference payouts is at many of the b1g schools? what's going to be the impetus for that to change?

the focus on media deals as being the be all end all has reached silly season. ohio state is laughing at another $35 million. they do 200-250 already. that's before all the support they'll get for nil. indiana looks at that and says... now we'll be able to compete?
OSU is not laughing at another $35MM. That's a preposterous statement.

It's not several years down the road. It's this year. Of course those schools are in a much better position than schools like Syracuse. Their payouts will be 2x to 3x. They might not compete with Ohio St. but they will be competing with each other. And outside of a few schools in the Acc and the B12 for as long as they are actually leagues, no schools will be competing with them.

What are schools like Wake Forest and Syracuse doing to close such huge money gaps? Their AD's must not be sleeping well.

This all clickbait. Spending $1,800/yr. feeding athletes during a pandemic when dining services were closed sounds like a good deal actually. Well done, AD Hobbs.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Booster clubs at some Unis

Post by 1766 »

WF and Syracuse have boosters willing and able to make up a yearly $50MM delta with big boys? Zero chance.

Post by 1766 »

Congratulations to Shane Knobloch and team USA on winning Gold. Again. Knobloch and Ross both had incredible tournaments. Well done to both!

https://twitter.com/RUmlax/status/1561082116213178368
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

1766 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:09 am
1766 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:51 pm Syracuse is going to need a lifeline to compete. If the benchmark is "turning a profit", there would be about 10 schools competing.

College sports are marketing. They should be no more expected to turn a profit than the philosophy department. Only they are more valuable in certain ways.

But if we are having an honest discussion, schools like Syracuse are in trouble. At least if they plan on competing at the highest levels.
no one said anything about turning a profit. the horse is way out of the barn on that one. athletics departments can't spend $$ fast enough on revenue coming in. their stock price doesn't rely on profit metrics. they'll put up a new building or add more admin staff for new dough that rolls in. then there's all the accounting shenanigans.

ftr, pre-covid... syracuse brought in about $100 mill. and listed a $16 mill profit. i don't know how much of that was student fees, $$ shifting... but the hoops team alone made $20 mill on $35 mill in revenue. why? because it's a university town, there's nothing else to do in the winter, and they have a facility that allows for it.

but when you start talking about major debt and deficits, even while being funded by the state and the rest of the university, that's altogether different. because that doesn't go away magically. live within your means.

so let's say cuse several years down the road they have $40 million less per year than they otherwise could have, $140 vs 100. they're in a death spiral bc of that? their football team already would need a miracle to "compete" regularly. a number of other sports are well supported as philosophy. you think rutgers, or indiana, or minnesota or on and on in the b1g are in some kind of better position for what? football? they're going to topple tosu, mich, psu, wisco, usc in trying to compete there with the top dogs in conference?

anything's possible, but i say there's a chance that nfw will end up being the case for many teams in the b1g. have you seen what the revenue generated by actual sports sans conference payouts is at many of the b1g schools? what's going to be the impetus for that to change?

the focus on media deals as being the be all end all has reached silly season. ohio state is laughing at another $35 million. they do 200-250 already. that's before all the support they'll get for nil. indiana looks at that and says... now we'll be able to compete?

It's not several years down the road. It's this year. Of course those schools are in a much better position than schools like Syracuse. Their payouts will be 2x to 3x. They might not compete with Ohio St. but they will be competing with each other. And outside of a few schools in the Acc and the B12 for as long as they are actually leagues, no schools will be competing with them.

What are schools like Wake Forest and Syracuse doing to close such huge money gaps? Their AD's must not be sleeping well.

This all clickbait. Spending $1,800/yr. feeding athletes during a pandemic when dining services were closed sounds like a good deal actually. Well done, AD Hobbs.
did you just say no one in the acc and big 12 other than a couple schools will be competing w rutgers and the rest of the bottom of the b1g? you're not serious? right?
allthingsODAC

Post by allthingsODAC »

I heard Rutgers made some plays for union (d3 national runner up) on the defensive side and they turned it down, think they were already fifth years and wanted to get in the real world. I think if they get a couple more play makers and grit guys they could make even more noise in '23

Post by 1766 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:53 pm

did you just say no one in the acc and big 12 other than a couple schools will be competing w rutgers and the rest of the bottom of the b1g? you're not serious? right?
In the money game, no. And money rules the sports world in college. Please tell me how a school like Syracuse, with a huge gap in conference payouts, seemingly small fanbase, is going to compete year over year with schools bringing in 2x-3x revenues. You can throw in Wake Forest, BC and a number of other schools in that mix.

It may not happen immediately, but the gap over the less immediate future is going to be difficult to overcome. It will impact everything from facilities, training, recruiting, and everything in between.

As it relates to lacrosse, it's not a surprise to see schools like Rutgers competing with schools they hadn't been before. They are investing money like those schools now, and in some cases, even more. Those investments are getting bigger as well. Bigger conference payouts will allow them to do that. Smaller conference payouts like other schools have will not allow them to do that.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

allthingsODAC wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:45 pm I heard Rutgers made some plays for union (d3 national runner up) on the defensive side and they turned it down, think they were already fifth years and wanted to get in the real world. I think if they get a couple more play makers and grit guys they could make even more noise in '23
I would be a little surprised if that was the case as the Union guys were good but not really sure that they would have been difference makers in the Big Ten
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

1766 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:47 pm

In the money game, no. And money rules the sports world in college. Please tell me how a school like Syracuse, with a huge gap in conference payouts, seemingly small fanbase, is going to compete year over year with schools bringing in 2x-3x revenues. You can throw in Wake Forest, BC and a number of other schools in that mix.

It may not happen immediately, but the gap over the less immediate future is going to be difficult to overcome. It will impact everything from facilities, training, recruiting, and everything in between.

As it relates to lacrosse, it's not a surprise to see schools like Rutgers competing with schools they hadn't been before. They are investing money like those schools now, and in some cases, even more. Those investments are getting bigger as well. Bigger conference payouts will allow them to do that. Smaller conference payouts like other schools have will not allow them to do that.
your and others' fixation on a $40 million gap in media revenues is at this point admirable and impressive. i don't fault you for it, really. you're hopeful for the dawning of a new day. it's possible it will come.

a couple things...
- we are now in year 7or 8? of the rutgers and maryland etc. will now squash all other comp because of greater media revenues. i'd submit devil's advocate that hasn't happened yet. but it will... now? why now?

- rutgers might've been getting maybe $2 million conference payouts pre-b1g. are they demonstrably better in say... football (where the real money goes) now that they bring in thru beg, borrow or conference payout, $50m? they were 2 and 7? in the b1g last year and your whipping boy wake forest waxed them in a bowl.

without knowing much more than about lax (good last 2 years), i'll concede olympic sports are being invested in and getting some results, underwritten by murphy & co, citigroup and the b1g headquarters' bank.

so... how does this play out, in your view? the b1g according to everyone has been body slamming everyone on media payouts for years, but yet... the trophy cases are empty? seriously, why is the flip switching now when it didn't before on competitive = $$$?

Post by 1766 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:38 pm

your and others' fixation on a $40 million gap in media revenues is at this point admirable and impressive. i don't fault you for it, really. you're hopeful for the dawning of a new day. it's possible it will come.

a couple things...
- we are now in year 7or 8? of the rutgers and maryland etc. will now squash all other comp because of greater media revenues. i'd submit devil's advocate that hasn't happened yet. but it will... now? why now?

- rutgers might've been getting maybe $2 million conference payouts pre-b1g. are they demonstrably better in say... football (where the real money goes) now that they bring in thru beg, borrow or conference payout, $50m? they were 2 and 7? in the b1g last year and your whipping boy wake forest waxed them in a bowl.

without knowing much more than about lax (good last 2 years), i'll concede olympic sports are being invested in and getting some results, underwritten by murphy & co, citigroup and the b1g headquarters' bank.

so... how does this play out, in your view? the b1g according to everyone has been body slamming everyone on media payouts for years, but yet... the trophy cases are empty? seriously, why is the flip switching now when it didn't before on competitive = $$$?

Pretty much, it's a simple money game. Last time I saw Rutgers play Syracuse I saw Rutgers win. On Syracuse's own field. In year 1 of a new coach. So, don't take this the wrong way, but I'd venture to say more Rutgers fans don't aspire to or see Syracuse as a peer. And that is quantifiable now in the money game, and from what we last saw on the field.

What's more admirable is seeing the less thans somehow trying to trick themselves into believing tens of millions of dollars every year is somehow not an advantage.

Yes, our Olympic sports and basketball have seen an incredible upward trajectory. Football is a tough build, but even so, that's in relation to our peers. The peers in our conference.

As to championships, well, the SEC is formidable on the gridiron. The acc? Not so much. And that gap will get wider. Money will dictate that.

On the bright side, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Acc go the way of the old Big East in football. There are couple of desirable programs. The rest are going to be left out to dry. Understand very clearly, the people who run AD's see the drastic difference in payouts and know their jobs to remain competitive is near impossible.

But that's college sports. It's was always evolving and always will be on some level.

Post by 1766 »

a couple things...

Pretty much, it's a simple money game. Last time I saw Rutgers play Syracuse I saw Rutgers win. On Syracuse's own field. In year 1 of a new coach. So, don't take this the wrong way, but I'd venture to say most Rutgers fans don't aspire to or see Syracuse as a peer. And that is quantifiable now in the money game, and from what we last saw on the field.

What's more admirable is seeing the less thans somehow trying to trick themselves into believing tens of millions of dollars every year is somehow not an advantage.

Yes, our Olympic sports and basketball have seen an incredible upward trajectory. Football is a tough build, but even so, that's in relation to our peers. The peers in our conference.

As to championships, well, the SEC is formidable on the gridiron. The acc? Not so much. And that gap will get wider. Money will dictate that.

On the bright side, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Acc go the way of the old Big East in football. There are couple of desirable programs. The rest are going to be left out to dry. Understand very clearly, the people who run AD's see the drastic difference in payouts and know their jobs to remain competitive is near impossible.

But that's college sports. It's was always evolving and always will be on some level.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Would love to see the Big Ten take UNC or UVA in the next round of expansion. It is hard to see how a school like Syracuse is able to compete with schools in the Big Ten. I do however, believe that Syracuse is still a huge draw for lacrosse players and Rutgers is still struggling in recruiting, even with there recent run and the Rodkin Center opening.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

1766 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:08 pm

a couple things...

Pretty much, it's a simple money game. Last time I saw Rutgers play Syracuse I saw Rutgers win. On Syracuse's own field. In year 1 of a new coach. So, don't take this the wrong way, but I'd venture to say most Rutgers fans don't aspire to or see Syracuse as a peer. And that is quantifiable now in the money game, and from what we last saw on the field.

the acc has won 3 football championships of the last 9 vs. the b1g's 1?

is it instructive you didn't answer my question(s)? why now and not before now?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:54 pm

a couple things...

Was that Clemson and Florida State?
“I wish you would!”
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

1766 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:07 pm

a couple things...

Pretty much, it's a simple money game. Last time I saw Rutgers play Syracuse I saw Rutgers win. On Syracuse's own field. In year 1 of a new coach. So, don't take this the wrong way, but I'd venture to say more Rutgers fans don't aspire to or see Syracuse as a peer. And that is quantifiable now in the money game, and from what we last saw on the field.

What mythical Syracuse game are you referring to? The last football game was last year where yes RU did win but Schiano was definitely not in his 1st year even in his second stint with RU and the last lacrosse game Syracuse won.

Post by 1766 »

a couple things...

What question?

Snapshot. Why stop there? If you want to compare championships, look at all of them. B1G has many, many more.

If you think Acc teams bringing in - $50MM in revenue is somehow not going to make a difference, you're whistling past the graveyard.

Post by 1766 »

a couple things...

What question?

Snapshot. Why stop there? If you want to compare championships, look at all of them. B1G has many, many more.

If you think Acc teams bringing in - $50MM in revenue is somehow not going to make a difference, you're whistling past the graveyard.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”