Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by OCanada »

Not what Nads has said.

I should probably add no head coaches graduating from Hopkins i know of were contacted. The one possible exception is Greg Raymond but i don’t know anyone who thinks he was.
Last edited by OCanada on Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

"Tired of hearing "they fired him in the middle of the pandemic!!!" as if there was another choice. What were they supposed to do, wait for the pandemic to end? The season was over and they had to make a decision."

Indeed. The season was over due to the pandemic. Sure, they could have waited until June when his contract expires, but that does no one any favors. When you make a decision to terminate someone (er, not renew the contract) the responsible thing for all involved is to let them know immediately so they can get on with their life. (HR 101)
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The entire scenario is bogus given the structure of his contract. If he did not definitely know he knew it was likely.

They took the low road, and by that i mean the process, though i agree with your major point.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

OCanada wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:29 pm The entire scenario is bogus given the structure of his contract. If he did not definitely know he knew it was likely.

They took the low road, and by that i mean the process, though i agree with your major point.
Honestly, if Petro had just hired coach K a few years before his tenure expired, my guess is he would still be here.
His recruiting was good and his offenses were good. The D was a disaster. In retrospect, he was probably trying to do too much.
Defense has improved significantly the under Koesterer. The offense has not been as good under PM. Maybe Crawley and Kelly can change that this spring. They still need to start the right man in goal.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:09 pm Not what Nads has said.

I should probably add no head coaches graduating from Hopkins i know of were contacted. The one possible exception is Greg Raymond but i don’t know anyone who thinks he was.
This is either a lie or you are not nearly as informed as you claim to be. Who are you talking to? Clearly nobody who has any idea what they're talking about.

Nadelen, Tierney, and Raymond were all contacted. Nadelen had extensive communication with the committee.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:00 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:42 pm
xxxxxxx wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:25 pm Interesting video with some good points, titled What Happened to Hopkins Lacrosse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPxkxew-3AM
oh yeah, more patience and support from the alumni is going to help the team play better on the field. Right.
Such a depressing video.
Getting this program back to high level competitiveness is going to be a long process, with some bumps along the way.
The story that should have been written 5-7 years ago and for sure 3 years ago would've had on and off the record sources from prominent program alumni talking about Daniels relationship w/the program, the off the field stuff some of you have hinted at, early recruiting, the ad, etc. We're into year 3 of PM so the Petro era stuff is cold for now and it's about what Crawly can do this fall, Jamesons progress and eventually wins and losses next spring. There are positives right now despite that story and everything else. PM hired 2 of the programs brightest alumni in the coaching ranks, Jacksonville and Georgetown proved to be smart schedule additions last spring, the big ten seems to have long term stability, we're through the petro transition and the 2 rocky after years, he has buyin from a lot of key alums like schwartzman and k18 etc,
Key alums Schwartzman and K18? With all dude respect they are fine gentlemen. In fact they are fantastic men and role models for the program. I’m just not sure they are the “key” alums we are talking about when we talk about alumni support of the program. Rabil, Kyle and Jesse aren’t what drives the boat.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

The big ten announced its new tv deals this morning of which our portion will be 0.
The last time we were in a national title game-2008 Maryland's payout from the acc was $12 million.
https://www.dailypress.com/sports/colum ... story.html
Per the espn report in the last pre pandemic year payouts were $54 million, under the new deal it will rise to $80-$100 million.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ox-cbs-nbc

Obviously a lot of that money is going to go to administrators, building new bowling alleys for the football team and tutors for the tourism studies majoring longsnappers, but some of that increased national tv exposure and revenue is going to go to help our intra conference rivals at some level. Pre pandemic Ohio State for example had $234 million in revenue and I've seen reports our entire athletics budget is $11 million.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

There's no reason moving forward that any lacrosse related content should be big ten plus and that any hopkins games should be behind any kind of a paywall. Homewood needs to call rosemont and iron that out. The $10k or whatever they take in from that won't be missed.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

13. As part of its deal, NBC gets men’s and women’s college basketball inventory, as well as Olympic sports and golf. The golf inventory is important here given NBC’s Golf Channel ties.
“We have a large part of men’s basketball and women’s basketball very defined each season,” Bevacqua said. “Then over the lifetime of the deal, we will work with the Big Ten on Olympic sports that make sense for them and for us on Peacock.”

https://theathletic.com/3518064/2022/08 ... s-deitsch/
https://sports.nbcsports.com/2022/08/18 ... -football/

I guess we're going to potentially have to add Peacock to watch big ten lacrosse.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Our pal Quint was singing Marquis' praises on the USA v. Haudenosaunee broadcast from Ireland today and said he thinks the Jays will be better next year. Very unusual for him to go out of his way to say anything remotely positive about his alma mater. Maybe the Irish air has brightened his spirits

Glad to see 06 is back to saying Ron Daniels should call up "Rosemont" making demands. That means fall ball must be close.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:39 am
jhu06 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:00 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:42 pm
xxxxxxx wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:25 pm Interesting video with some good points, titled What Happened to Hopkins Lacrosse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPxkxew-3AM
oh yeah, more patience and support from the alumni is going to help the team play better on the field. Right.
Such a depressing video.
Getting this program back to high level competitiveness is going to be a long process, with some bumps along the way.
The story that should have been written 5-7 years ago and for sure 3 years ago would've had on and off the record sources from prominent program alumni talking about Daniels relationship w/the program, the off the field stuff some of you have hinted at, early recruiting, the ad, etc. We're into year 3 of PM so the Petro era stuff is cold for now and it's about what Crawly can do this fall, Jamesons progress and eventually wins and losses next spring. There are positives right now despite that story and everything else. PM hired 2 of the programs brightest alumni in the coaching ranks, Jacksonville and Georgetown proved to be smart schedule additions last spring, the big ten seems to have long term stability, we're through the petro transition and the 2 rocky after years, he has buyin from a lot of key alums like schwartzman and k18 etc,
Key alums Schwartzman and K18? With all dude respect they are fine gentlemen. In fact they are fantastic men and role models for the program. I’m just not sure they are the “key” alums we are talking about when we talk about alumni support of the program. Rabil, Kyle and Jesse aren’t what drives the boat.
One of the more generous alums, and certainly a very strong Petro supporter and advocate, will have two grandsons in the program I believe.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:05 pm Our pal Quint was singing Marquis' praises on the USA v. Haudenosaunee broadcast from Ireland today and said he thinks the Jays will be better next year. Very unusual for him to go out of his way to say anything remotely positive about his alma mater. Maybe the Irish air has brightened his spirits

Glad to see 06 is back to saying Ron Daniels should call up "Rosemont" making demands. That means fall ball must be close.
The conference is redoing its media rights. These schools aren't poor anymore and if Hopkins isn't getting a cut (which it won't because notre dame hockey has the same status we do and they won't give them a dime) Hopkins fans shouldn't be paying $ for things like big ten plus to watch non home games. These are fair concerns, especially when the women are now going to have to fly to Los Angeles every other year-a cost which for us won't be subsidized like the rest of the conference by these football tv deals.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

If things go the way i think they might (reorg stream) there may be a big increase on the expense side in a few years

Desko said a number of years ago it cost 5,000 to play Hopkins snd travel by bus but more than 30,000 to play UVA and travel by sit
Last edited by OCanada on Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Fall ball is in jeopardy. The officials do not yet have contracts and it is very late. There is also a shortage of refs generally. US Lacrosse has issues, the training program has issues,

Joe Psai is doing very well
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:12 am Fall ball is in jeopardy. The officials do not yet have contracts and it is very late. There is also a shortage of refs generally. US Lacrosse has issues, the training program has issues,

Fall ball is a nice luxury and some fun for fans. I believe Danowski has shown all the hype around it is just hot air and contributes little to season success.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:52 am
OCanada wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:12 am Fall ball is in jeopardy. The officials do not yet have contracts and it is very late. There is also a shortage of refs generally. US Lacrosse has issues, the training program has issues,

Fall ball is a nice luxury and some fun for fans. I believe Danowski has shown all the hype around it is just hot air and contributes little to season success.
On the other hand, doesn't Tillman/Maryland have among the toughest fall regimens in the country? It's been called military-style by more than one person close to the program. I think it's a lot more important for conditioning, building culture and relationships, and setting the tone for the spring than it is for playing games or figuring out your lineups.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Vern Cook. Lafayette HS. A highly regarded 2022 recruit suffered a severe knee injury last year. He is now showing as a 2023 recruit; he is staying back a year. He will arrive older than his cohorts. There is a perception out there Indians do not respond as well to the surgery. I have no idea if that is true but it has been mentioned. If it is it could be the PT required isn’t being done to the level required, the surgeon, something physical or whatever.

I hope Hopkins has the kind of support system needed. HC has probably heard a lot on that this year if not before.

Hopkins and Syracuse will both be young. Teams with older, larger more mature players will present challenges.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:42 am Hopkins and Syracuse will both be young. Teams with older, larger more mature players will present challenges.
Kinda? The offense will be younger as Epstein, Keogh, and DeSimone are replaced with some combination of Marquis, Collison, English, Maher, Melendez, etc. But veterans Angelus and Degnon are back, in addition to guys like Grimes, Peshko, McDermott, and Evans, who all have experience.

Defense might be even more experienced. Smith and Szuluk return as starters — the third close D spot will probably be someone younger (Todaro? Maybe Rodgers, though he's not exactly young.) Martin and Jaronski return as SSDMs, need to find another few guys there (Glassmeyer, if healthy finally?). Mazzone and Caracciolo come in and are as experienced as they come.

There seems to be some confusion as to whether or not Narewski is back but if so that's a pretty capable three-headed monster at FOGO with him, Callahan, and Dunn.

The attack will look different and probably be a bit younger, and they need to identify another SSDM or two. But it doesn't strike me as a super young team unless many more freshmen/sophomores in addition to the ones listed above end up earning PT.

As for Cooke's injury — it's a fact that Native Americans face discrimination in the US healthcare system and often have worse outcomes than the general population but I have never heard of any perception that they "do not respond as well to the surgery." There is no biological basis for that whatsoever. That just sounds like racism. Without knowing the kid's situation it's impossible to know whether or not he's getting the PT/recovery/training that's required to get back on the field.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Do you want to label an Onondaga a racist? One of several people I have heard similar observations from. Reading comprehension would help. I am pretty confident i know Indian Country better than most.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:42 am Vern Cook. Lafayette HS. A highly regarded 2022 recruit suffered a severe knee injury last year. He is now showing as a 2023 recruit; he is staying back a year. He will arrive older than his cohorts. There is a perception out there Indians do not respond as well to the surgery. I have no idea if that is true but it has been mentioned. If it is it could be the PT required isn’t being done to the level required, the surgeon, something physical or whatever.

I hope Hopkins has the kind of support system needed. HC has probably heard a lot on that this year if not before.

Hopkins and Syracuse will both be young. Teams with older, larger more mature players will present challenges.
https://caih.jhu.edu/
we're the global leader on native american health. so we're good.

The difference is that Syracuse's staff has spent the last 15 months building the fan base's expectations and this one hasn't. Those kids old, young, good, bad are going to be expected to be 90s/00s era cuse from the moment they hit campus this fall.

Syracuse has had a half century of boeheim, the leadership of Dave Gavit (RIP) in the Big East and now an ACC they chose to move to for financial reasons. They took the name off the carrier dome to cash in. I'm not sure why they have financial complaints.

I admire 16 thinking that Hopkins fans should continue to support Maryland Lacrosse through payments to btn+. They seem to be running low on titles and cash to fund it these days.

The spring football game is a big deal at other schools, fall ball is Hopkins version of that because of the prominence of the sport at the school and to the alumni.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”