NCAA reorg imminent

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: NCAA reorg imminent

Post by DocBarrister »

Seahawk wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:46 am So CBS keeps the big East, ESPN keeps the ACC, BIG affiliates with FOX??, and NBC picks up ??. Does Norte Dame now move its lax to NBC or are they still tied to ESPN. Does this mean more non-paywall games in TV? Guess we’ll have to wait to 2024 season.
Not sure anything will change with respect to lacrosse broadcasts.

Just to compare, the new B1G deal (more than $1 billion annually) is worth more than 4x the ACC’s annual media payout ($240 million).

https://www.on3.com/news/conference-tv- ... -football/

That ACC contract is supposedly “locked in” until 2036, but I doubt it will last more than a couple of years. The ACC will be forced to renegotiate or face oblivion.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
ggait

Post by ggait »

"But then again, the Big Ten partnering with NBC is exactly what Notre Dame has reportedly been looking for in its quest to remain independent.

CBS Sports reported in July that Notre Dame, in an effort to ensure its independence remains economically viable, is looking to increase the payment it receives from NBC for its exclusive football TV rights from the $22 million it currently receives each year to $75 million:

For NBC to feel comfortable raising Notre Dame's valuation to such a level, it is seeking "shoulder programming" (in this case, games played before and/or after Notre Dame's contests) from a Power Five conference to enhance its college football coverage.
Things are looking good for Irish independence.

The new Big Ten deal creates a similar structure to an NFL Sunday. Content bounces to different stations throughout the day, starting with Fox at noon, followed by CBS at 3:30 and NBC at night. ABC/ESPN swaps out B10 for SEC.

Seems like NBC/ND deal for afternoon games (ET) fits right in with B10 Saturday Night on NBC.

$1B or so divided 16 ways is "only" $62.5 per B10 school.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

ggait wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:18 pm
"But then again, the Big Ten partnering with NBC is exactly what Notre Dame has reportedly been looking for in its quest to remain independent.

CBS Sports reported in July that Notre Dame, in an effort to ensure its independence remains economically viable, is looking to increase the payment it receives from NBC for its exclusive football TV rights from the $22 million it currently receives each year to $75 million:

For NBC to feel comfortable raising Notre Dame's valuation to such a level, it is seeking "shoulder programming" (in this case, games played before and/or after Notre Dame's contests) from a Power Five conference to enhance its college football coverage.
Things are looking good for Irish independence.

The new Big Ten deal creates a similar structure to an NFL Sunday. Content bounces to different stations throughout the day, starting with Fox at noon, followed by CBS at 3:30 and NBC at night. ABC/ESPN swaps out B10 for SEC.

Seems like NBC/ND deal for afternoon games (ET) fits right in with B10 Saturday Night on NBC.

$1B or so divided 16 ways is "only" $62.5 per B10 school.
Worth every penny as they will win all championships — before they even play….
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
ggait

Post by ggait »

That ACC contract is supposedly “locked in” until 2036, but I doubt it will last more than a couple of years. The ACC will be forced to renegotiate or face oblivion.
Of course the ACC wants to re-negotiate its current contract upward. Duh. But it takes two to tango.

The relevant question is whether ACC's partner ESPN would feel a need to re-negotiate early. I don't see any reason why they would want to do that.

Sure Clemson and FSU are desperate to move on from the ACC. But they signed the pre-nup. At present, the cost of their divorce settlement is just waaaay too expensive to pay.

Zero sign so far that the pre-nup won't hold. And zero sign that the potential hot new wife is interested in dating a dude that (i) is still married and (ii) would have to empty the bank account to get single again.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

ggait wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:32 pm
Of course the ACC wants to re-negotiate its current contract upward. Duh. But it takes two to tango.

The relevant question is whether ACC's partner ESPN would feel a need to re-negotiate early. I don't see any reason why they would want to do that.

Sure Clemson and FSU are desperate to move on from the ACC. But they signed the pre-nup. At present, the cost of their divorce settlement is just waaaay too expensive to pay.

Zero sign so far that the pre-nup won't hold. And zero sign that the potential hot new wife is interested in dating a dude that (i) is still married and (ii) would have to empty the bank account to get single again.
ESPN just lost the Big Ten. ESPN still has their SEC deal worth about $300 million a year.

ESPN might use this as an opportunity to basically reshape the ACC. ESPN may ask the ACC to jettison schools with less marketable sports programs or demand that the ACC invite schools (e.g., from the PAC 12) that can add new media markets to the package.

In any case, if the ACC wants more money, they will need to offer ESPN a more valuable product. I think ESPN would be willing to scrap the current ACC deal and help the ACC increase the financial value of their football offerings.

But that won’t be easy. For example, PAC 12’s current deal is with both Fox and ESPN. ESPN would probably need to work something out with Fox in order to rework any deal with the ACC that incorporates PAC 12 teams.

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2022/0 ... l-revenue/

In any case, keeping the current ACC deal is probably not optimal for either ESPN or the ACC.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

there were 5 big ten non Hopkins games on espn last year which they'll fill with whatever the best ivy/acc games are that weekend they didn't already have on espn/2/u. Good opportunity for some ivy league programs to pick up additional national exposure.
ggait

Post by ggait »

ESPN just lost the Big Ten. ESPN still has their SEC deal worth about $300 million a year.
ESPN did not lose the B10. They broke up with one hot chick in order to date another hot (possibly hotter) chick.

I guess ESPN "could" try to restructure the SEC and ACC. Anything is "possible" I guess.

To me, that just seems to make zero sense. Since it would result in ESPN having to pay more money for content (SEC, ACC) that it already owns.

And not seeing why the SEC schools (who are doing extremely well) would go out of its way to add more mouths to feed. If you were starting from a blank slate, sure you'd rather have Clemson and FSU rather than Vandy or MSU. But that ain't happening.

I continue to think that the ACC is pretty much stuck as is for at least the next five years. Especially since it is more becoming more clear that Santa Claus (i.e. ND football) is not coming any time soon.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:50 pm
Seahawk wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:46 am So CBS keeps the big East, ESPN keeps the ACC, BIG affiliates with FOX??, and NBC picks up ??. Does Norte Dame now move its lax to NBC or are they still tied to ESPN. Does this mean more non-paywall games in TV? Guess we’ll have to wait to 2024 season.

Just to compare, the new B1G deal (more than $1 billion annually) is worth more than 4x the ACC’s annual media payout ($240 million).

DocBarrister
the acc media payout was $397 million last year. and has an escalator. and they have fewer teams.

i thought the b1g was getting $100 million per school? are they back to 10 teams? or does "over a billion" mean 1.6?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:45 pm

DocBarrister
the acc media payout was $397 million last year. and has an escalator. and they have fewer teams.

i thought the b1g was getting $100 million per school? are they back to 10 teams? or does "over a billion" mean 1.6?
The structure of the new deal is backloaded. As this article reports, each B1G school will receive around $60+ million each of the next two years and then about $100 million a year starting in 2025-2026. Schools with successful football and basketball seasons stand to earn even more.

Per the Action Network, Big Ten schools will receive the same distribution in 2023-24 as it will this year, roughly $60 million per school. The payout will increase slightly in the second year of the deal before it jumps to roughly $100 million per school, annually, starting in 2025. That's based purely on the media deal and does not include revenue from making the College Football Playoff, bowl games or NCAA Tournament.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nca ... nbvi82zdik

Largest payouts in college sports, and (for now) it’s not even close.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:46 pm there were 5 big ten non Hopkins games on espn last year which they'll fill with whatever the best ivy/acc games are that weekend they didn't already have on espn/2/u. Good opportunity for some ivy league programs to pick up additional national exposure.
NBC/Peacock say they will be doing B1G Olympic sports and having done the PLL past 2 years maybe they will pickup Lacrosse
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:25 pm

DocBarrister

The structure of the new deal is backloaded. As this article reports, each B1G school will receive around $60+ million each of the next two years and then about $100 million a year starting in 2025-2026. Schools with successful football and basketball seasons stand to earn even more.

Per the Action Network, Big Ten schools will receive the same distribution in 2023-24 as it will this year, roughly $60 million per school. The payout will increase slightly in the second year of the deal before it jumps to roughly $100 million per school, annually, starting in 2025. That's based purely on the media deal and does not include revenue from making the College Football Playoff, bowl games or NCAA Tournament.

DocBarrister
a billion per year divided by 16 schools is not 100 million per. it's 60+. it always will be, math doesn't change. this is being advertised as 7 billion or 7-8 billion, 7 years. if it's 6.5-7.5 b over the last 6 years, that's 67-78 million per.

given how inflation's going, maybe 10 comes into play somehow and it gets into an average of 90 or so. but hoo knows what that rider's guardrails are and that's a big boost off the base. the sec will proximately match this, my guess a bit more... and the acc better figure out something to close that gap for a top team or 2.

notre dame will get theirs, also.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:27 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
a billion per year divided by 16 schools is not 100 million per. it's 60+. it always will be, math doesn't change. this is being advertised as 7 billion or 7-8 billion, 7 years. if it's 6.5-7.5 b over the last 6 years, that's 67-78 million per.

given how inflation's going, maybe 10 comes into play somehow and it gets into an average of 90 or so. but hoo knows what that rider's guardrails are and that's a big boost off the base. the sec will proximately match this, my guess a bit more... and the acc better figure out something to close that gap for a top team or 2.

Take it up with the reporters and the B1G.

This is a complex deal. It’s not as simple as taking a number and dividing it by 16. The details are important and you don’t know anything about the details.

The $100 million annual payout figure has been mentioned throughout the negotiation process. The B1G reportedly got it done. You can ask them how it works.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:45 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

This is a complex deal. It’s not as simple as taking a number and dividing it by 16. The details are important and you don’t know anything about the details.

The $100 million annual payout figure has been mentioned throughout the negotiation process. The B1G reportedly got it done. You can ask them how it works.

DocBarrister
wait, what? do you have a b1g spokesman saying anything close to what you've regurgitated? i've tried to correct you throughout this, and never once have you thanked me for setting you straight.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Doc --

Reports are that the B10 deal will pay each school "more than $75 million" per year or "between $80-100 million per year." Makes sense since $1B/16 is a lot less than $100M.

So clearly the average annual payout is not $100M. Likely the B10 average will be closer to the $75M that ND (who plays this game very well) has named as its price.

The SEC may not hit the same per school payout of the B10 with their new ESPN deal. But SEC schools have substantially smaller athletic departments than the B10. Michigan has 1,050 varsity athletes. Bama has 705. So a financially level playing among the SEC, B10 and ND.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

ggait wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:25 pm Doc --

Reports are that the B10 deal will pay each school "more than $75 million" per year or "between $80-100 million per year."

So clearly the average annual payout is not $100M. Likely the B10 average will be closer to the $75M that ND (who plays this game very well) has named as its price.

The SEC may not hit the same per school payout of the B10 with their new ESPN deal. But SEC schools have substantially smaller athletic departments than the B10. Michigan has 1,050 varsity athletes. Bama has 705. So a financially level playing among the SEC, B10 and ND.
You don’t know any of that.

B1G teams won’t know the precise payout until they receive the check(s). I’m sure the contract(s) involved are thousands of pages long with lots of qualifiers and contingencies.

The B1G probably has good estimates for the anticipated annual payouts.

The reporting is the reporting. Ask them for their sources and how they got their numbers.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:15 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
wait, what? do you have a b1g spokesman saying anything close to what you've regurgitated? i've tried to correct you throughout this, and never once have you thanked me for setting you straight.
Your issue has always been that you don’t know enough to know what you do not know.

I haven’t reviewed the contract. Have you?

I can only post what the reporters are writing in their articles. Have an issue with their reporting? Take it up with them.

In the meantime, your understanding of these complex deals is laughably simplistic.

The reporters of Action Network are reporting that the payout in each of the last five years of the deal will be around $100 million. I posted a link to an article reporting that assessment. Contact the reporters and ask them about their report.

You have always been a lazy poster on this forum, rarely doing your own research and seldom posting links to any articles.

Why not be a more productive member and do some of your own research and post links and/or quotes from what you find?

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:47 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
Your issue has always been that you don’t know enough to know what you do not know.

I can only post what the reporters are writing in their articles. Have an issue with their reporting? Take it up with them.

In the meantime, your understanding of these complex deals is laughably simplistic.

The reporters of Action Network are reporting that the payout in each of the last five years of the deal will be around $100 million. I posted a link to an article reporting that assessment. Contact the reporters and ask them about their report.

You have always been a lazy poster on this forum, rarely doing your own research and seldom posting links to any articles.

Why not be a more productive member and do some of your own research and post links and/or quotes from what you find?

nah. i seem to go thru it with a lot more detail than you. i've corrected you a bunch on this, given you direct (b1g) sources on your misinformation. you just stop commenting once corrected.

i could quote plenty of your missteps but it'd take all day. this last one... your source is quoting tier one acc as their payout. which is wrong. here's a link:
https://theathletic.com/3490895/2022/05 ... ed-article

but you just mindlessly regurgitate. so this "reporter" doesn't know what he's doing. which sounds like that makes him your guy.

oh, for the record, they're saying the last 6 years, not 5. as year one of the new deals isn't this year, but next. but of course those details slip by you constantly.

also, their 60? million this year # is old deal money, which includes all manner of conference payouts. not media exclusive. that's if they hit their numbers, which they didn't the last 2. remember that??

when's nd joining the b1g?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:02 am
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:47 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

nah. i seem to go thru it with a lot more detail than you. i've corrected you a bunch on this, given you direct (b1g) sources on your misinformation. you just stop commenting once corrected.

i could quote plenty of your missteps but it'd take all day. this last one... your source is quoting tier one acc as their payout. which is wrong. here's a link:
https://theathletic.com/3490895/2022/05 ... ed-article

but you just mindlessly regurgitate. so this "reporter" doesn't know what he's doing. which sounds like that makes him your guy.

oh, for the record, they're saying the last 6 years, not 5. as year one of the new deals isn't this year, but next. but of course those details slip by you constantly.

also, their 60? million this year # is old deal money, which includes all manner of conference payouts. not media exclusive. that's if they hit their numbers, which they didn't the last 2. remember that??

when's nd joining the b1g?
You failed (as usual) to note important details in that article on the ACC’s record revenues that year.

That increase in revenue was partly due to Notre Dame joining the ACC for football during the pandemic season.

https://virginianewstime.com/the-acc-ha ... 461/?amp=1

Notre Dame gave their NBC money to the ACC … a one-time event. The article is pretty much irrelevant to any of this discussion.

Anyway, you asked about the B1G payout and failed to post any research on that subject, despite criticizing me for posting a link and quote on someone’s else’s research, which I cannot understand. Why criticize me for someone else’s reporting?

If you are trying to convince folks (and maybe yourself) that the ACC doesn’t have a problematic media deal, then I doubt even the ACC agrees with you. Note that the ACC deal goes through 2036. Meanwhile, both the SEC and B1G will have negotiated yet another new deal in the interim (in all likelihood expanding the payout gap even more).

The ACC is struggling to keep up. Don’t take it personally. Neither you nor I can do anything about it. It is what it is.

CHARLOTTE — ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips was roughly halfway through remarks regarding the health of the conference Wednesday morning when he began to address yet another question about the ACC’s significant revenue shortfall as compared with the Big Ten and SEC.

His answer revealed why the conference as constructed may not be viable in the long term amid reports Clemson and Florida State, among other schools, are considering departing for more lucrative deals despite a grant of rights agreement in place through 2036.

“We understand where those two leagues are,” Phillips said during the start of ACC football media days. “No one is ignoring that. We’re all trying to find ways to close that gap, so I know where our 17 — or our 15 schools are. We are really aligned to try to find some solutions to that revenue gap.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... expansion/

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

When the Big Ten revealed the details of its upcoming media rights deal less than 24 hours after the Regents meeting, both USC and UCLA were included as key players in the statement. The deal, which is the largest in the history of college athletics, will reportedly be worth $7 to $8 billion across seven years starting July 1, 2023.

UCLA and USC will not be joining the conference until 2024, but they will be earning an even share of the conference revenue the moment they arrive. Payouts are expected to approach $100 million per school annually.

https://www.si.com/college/ucla/.amp/ne ... roadblocks

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

you're hilarious. i'm lazy, but it's the reporter's fault.

acc tv $$ was up for a variety of reasons. you remember nd's tv deal is like 20 mill, right? the main reason is they were year 2 of accn, and finally got xfinity done. btw, 397 m ÷ that 20% rise is 330 m. not 240.

just in this convo i've said the acc needs to find solutions. what i didn't say was that notre dame was imminent b1g and the acc might be kaput by year end. who said that and more?

media rights deals are important. they're also not be all end all.
Last edited by wgdsr on Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”