Conservative Ideology 2024: NOTHING BUT LIES AND FEARMONGERING

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Conservative Ideology

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

LaxFan2000 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:39 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:27 pm
LaxFan2000 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:03 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:46 pm
LaxFan2000 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:40 pm

Why do they have to have a certain political lean to think COVID is a hoax?
Do you really think that only people with a certain political lean are capable of thinking this? You never thought that maybe there's a myriad of hundreds of other factors. Education, geographical location, religious bent, family influence and the list goes on and on. Life is not as simple as you make it out to be here. As politically convenient as you are making it sound, it's way, way more complex than this...

Because right wing "thinking" is just that ~ delusionalism. I have had debates on other forums where right wingers use profanities to describe anyone who dares to say the covid plague is a reality. There's just something about these people. It's utter insanity. There's no other way to describe it.
That's only representative of an extreme subsection of the Republican Party that is unfortunately amplified via the internet medium. The internet, in particular Twitter, is often quite far from actual reality. It's best to stay away from forums like that, unless you are intentionally seeking out these people so that you can complain about them. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here that you are not doing that. Because you can't be expecting a reasonable discussion on those sites. It just doesn't exist. Same on the far left sites. Unfortunate.
Which is why we do try to have such conversations here, and why those who actively participate here appreciate this environment.

That said, I keep coming across people in my personal "real world" life who believe this garbage, hook line and sinker, swallowed whole.

We also do know that there is much greater belief in some really strange things than we'd like to admit...it's convenient (and perhaps used to be more the case) to think that such was limited to an extreme fringe...but, today that percentage is much, much larger.

Look at the belief in the Big Lie among the GOP today...Biden cheated, Trump actually won... big majority. Not all, but quite marked. Batsh-t crazy, but there we are...

I think that's because of the fragmented information/media world, in which the incentives are to attract and maintain eyeballs, which is most effective by stimulating chemical reactions in the brain and nervous system through telling a 'story' that makes people feel passionately...doesn't need to be true. Indeed, the more incendiary and 'unbelievable' the better...

That strategy earned talk radio on the right huge profits, and there was a concerted political strategy to buy up stations and dominate those airwaves with progressively more and more off the wall claims. With the explosion of cable, this was taken to TV, and then to the web...huge profits. The social media world put this strategy on steroids in terms of impact and 'permission structure'. Colossal profitability.

The left has been slower to adapt to these strategies, and provided less chemical/nervous system stimulation. Much of the mainstream media is certainly liberal leaning, but by and large they believed in journalistic integrity and their job was to uncover uncomfortable truths, as the 4th estate challenging power. But not to make shite up for profit.

Some of that now happens on the left, unfortunately, as well. But the hard right (not actually "conservative") dominates this strategy.

My opinion.
Thanks. Are you a republican? I've thought you have said you were in the past. This post certainly doesn't sound like it comes from someone who claims to be a republican. You are basically stating the right is guilty of this about 95% and the left about 5%. That's not in even close. It's much more prevalent on the left than you claim it to be. Whether you want to believe that is I guess up to you, and you only.
I continue, stubbornly, to the a registered Republican. I've been voting in each election cycle for more than 4 decades, and I have only once voted for the Democrat for POTUS, twice voting for the third party candidate. My default, until recently, was to vote GOP at each level, unless I knew the particular Dem candidate to be a particularly good public servant. I'm not a partisan anything.

But right now, I refuse to vote for any Big Lie Republicans, or anyone that isn't willing to call it out clearly. I'm more progressive socially than the MAGA crowd, so there are a number of other key signals that will turn me off a GOP candidate in much of the current crop. I see DeSantis, for instance, a potentially more competent, thus more dangerous fascist than was Trump. Anyone even remotely flirting with "Christian nationalism" or any such dog whistle is out.

Unfortunately, that leaves very few of the current GOP to support. Just a handful.
The GOP has changed tremendously, I have not changed much.

My wife, also a lifelong Republican, had the same voting pattern as me, though voted for Obama in 2008 while I voted McCain. she voted for Romney, with whom she had worked at Bain. She has now changed her registration to Democrat.

No, the "left" media, much less the mainstream liberal media, does not come remotely close to the same level of outright lying as we have seen grow over the past two decades from the right. Not to say that there isn't a left filter on what's important to cover, or sometimes inflammatory rhetoric used (yes, there's money to be made and power to be gained) but the volume and sheer batsh-ttedness isn't on the same level. Not close.

I dunno whether 95-5, but I'd certainly buy at least 80-20...not close.

I watch plenty of relatively left leaning media to say with confidence that the crazy, crazy stuff doesn't have a viable home in the mainstream media world. Occasionally rhetoric gets hot, but sheer craziness and outright lies get shot down.
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:29 pm

Do you really think that only people with a certain political lean are capable of thinking this? You never thought that maybe there's a myriad of hundreds of other factors. Education, geographical location, religious bent, family influence and the list goes on and on. Life is not as simple as you make it out to be here. As politically convenient as you are making it sound, it's way, way more complex than this...

Because right wing "thinking" is just that ~ delusionalism. I have had debates on other forums where right wingers use profanities to describe anyone who dares to say the covid plague is a reality. There's just something about these people. It's utter insanity. There's no other way to describe it.
That's only representative of an extreme subsection of the Republican Party that is unfortunately amplified via the internet medium. The internet, in particular Twitter, is often quite far from actual reality. It's best to stay away from forums like that, unless you are intentionally seeking out these people so that you can complain about them. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here that you are not doing that. Because you can't be expecting a reasonable discussion on those sites. It just doesn't exist. Same on the far left sites. Unfortunate.
Which is why we do try to have such conversations here, and why those who actively participate here appreciate this environment.

That said, I keep coming across people in my personal "real world" life who believe this garbage, hook line and sinker, swallowed whole.

We also do know that there is much greater belief in some really strange things than we'd like to admit...it's convenient (and perhaps used to be more the case) to think that such was limited to an extreme fringe...but, today that percentage is much, much larger.

Look at the belief in the Big Lie among the GOP today...Biden cheated, Trump actually won... big majority. Not all, but quite marked. Batsh-t crazy, but there we are...

I think that's because of the fragmented information/media world, in which the incentives are to attract and maintain eyeballs, which is most effective by stimulating chemical reactions in the brain and nervous system through telling a 'story' that makes people feel passionately...doesn't need to be true. Indeed, the more incendiary and 'unbelievable' the better...

That strategy earned talk radio on the right huge profits, and there was a concerted political strategy to buy up stations and dominate those airwaves with progressively more and more off the wall claims. With the explosion of cable, this was taken to TV, and then to the web...huge profits. The social media world put this strategy on steroids in terms of impact and 'permission structure'. Colossal profitability.

The left has been slower to adapt to these strategies, and provided less chemical/nervous system stimulation. Much of the mainstream media is certainly liberal leaning, but by and large they believed in journalistic integrity and their job was to uncover uncomfortable truths, as the 4th estate challenging power. But not to make shite up for profit.

Some of that now happens on the left, unfortunately, as well. But the hard right (not actually "conservative") dominates this strategy.

My opinion.
Thanks. Are you a republican? I've thought you have said you were in the past. This post certainly doesn't sound like it comes from someone who claims to be a republican. You are basically stating the right is guilty of this about 95% and the left about 5%. That's not in even close. It's much more prevalent on the left than you claim it to be. Whether you want to believe that is I guess up to you, and you only.
I continue, stubbornly, to the a registered Republican. I've been voting in each election cycle for more than 4 decades, and I have only once voted for the Democrat for POTUS, twice voting for the third party candidate. My default, until recently, was to vote GOP at each level, unless I knew the particular Dem candidate to be a particularly good public servant. I'm not a partisan anything.

But right now, I refuse to vote for any Big Lie Republicans, or anyone that isn't willing to call it out clearly. I'm more progressive socially than the MAGA crowd, so there are a number of other key signals that will turn me off a GOP candidate in much of the current crop. I see DeSantis, for instance, a potentially more competent, thus more dangerous fascist than was Trump. Anyone even remotely flirting with "Christian nationalism" or any such dog whistle is out.

Unfortunately, that leaves very few of the current GOP to support. Just a handful.

My wife, also a lifelong Republican, had the same voting pattern as me, though voted for Obama in 2008 while I voted McCain. she voted for Romney, with whom she had worked at Bain. She has now changed her registration to Democrat.

No, the "left" media, much less the mainstream liberal media, does not come remotely close to the same level of outright lying as we have seen grow over the past two decades from the right. Not to say that there isn't a left filter on what's important to cover, or sometimes inflammatory rhetoric used (yes, there's money to be made and power to be gained) but the volume and sheer batsh-ttedness isn't on the same level. Not close.

I watch plenty of relatively left leaning media to say with confidence that the crazy, crazy stuff doesn't have a viable home in the mainstream media world. Occasionally rhetoric gets hot, but sheer craziness and outright lies get shot down.
Thanks for clearing up where you stand politically. Sounds like you identify more with the Democratic Party these days...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

LaxFan2000 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:48 pm

My opinion.

Thanks for clearing up where you stand politically. Sounds like you identify more with the Democratic Party these days...
I'm a moderate. Conservative fiscally and generally, but progressive socially. That used to be comfortable and welcome in the GOP, now it makes me a RINO apparently.

My Dem votes are primarily opposition to Big Lie/MAGA/fascist/racist trend in the GOP...I'd love for the GOP to come to its senses.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:54 pm

My opinion.

I'm a moderate. Conservative fiscally and generally, but progressive socially. That used to be comfortable and welcome in the GOP, now it makes me a RINO apparently.

My Dem votes are primarily opposition to Big Lie/MAGA/fascist/racist trend in the GOP...I'd love for the GOP to come to its senses.
If I use your logic YOUR party would be ectatic to have you as a featured speaker at the RNC convention? It could be you speak for the infinitesimally tiny number of rich white liberal Republicans who care less about the country than portraying themselves as social justice warriors for all of the down trodden common folk. If your a fiscal conservative why don't you espouse ANYTHING that remotely points out the chit hole mess our country is in financially? You claim to be a fiscal conservative but talk is cheap. What is our national debt ?? What is the game plan to get it under control???? I would vote for a Fan for POTUS in a heartbeat. As a true blue fiscal conservative.. he is the only one I know of on this forum that understands that. All the social justice in the world means jack chit if your financially watching your country circle the drain.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

If your a fiscal conservative why don't you espouse ANYTHING that remotely points out the chit hole mess our country is in financially? You claim to be a fiscal conservative but talk is cheap. What is our national debt ?? What is the game plan to get it under control???? I would vote for a Fan for POTUS in a heartbeat. As a true blue fiscal conservative.. he is the only one I know of on this forum that understands that. All the social justice in the world means jack chit if your financially watching your country circle the drain.

Same old laughable whining about the national debt - a subject ignored by the radical far right whenever a Republican is in the White Wash House. 8 years under Reagan, 4 under Bush, 8 under Bush, jr, and 4 under tRump. All those years under a Republican regime and all that it brought was unemployment, incessant wars, lower standards of living, and a higher national debt. And they still they have done good for the USA. :lol:
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

LaxFan2000 wrote: ↑Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:03 pm

That's only representative of an extreme subsection of the Republican Party that is unfortunately amplified via the internet medium.

More like the norm for Republicans:

https://tinyurl.com/55c76xvr

Lack of civility by Republicans in full display.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

LaxFan2000 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:48 pmThanks for clearing up where you stand politically. Sounds like you identify more with the Democratic Party these days...
Do you identify with the current Republican Party, or any party in particular? What are your political ideologies?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

My opinion.

Feels like a clean slate opportunity to set people up…all I’m saying…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:43 pm

My opinion.

If I use your logic YOUR party would be ectatic to have you as a featured speaker at the RNC convention? It could be you speak for the infinitesimally tiny number of rich white liberal Republicans who care less about the country than portraying themselves as social justice warriors for all of the down trodden common folk. If your a fiscal conservative why don't you espouse ANYTHING that remotely points out the chit hole mess our country is in financially? You claim to be a fiscal conservative but talk is cheap. What is our national debt ?? What is the game plan to get it under control???? I would vote for a Fan for POTUS in a heartbeat. As a true blue fiscal conservative.. he is the only one I know of on this forum that understands that. All the social justice in the world means jack chit if your financially watching your country circle the drain.
What’s the point. We know where you stand and know how your mind works. I could’ve written this post for you. Except Ive seen and had conversations with MD that reflect a smaller govt and less spending so just like claiming there’s a oceans worth of hate for Catholic Church posts that people looked and couldn’t find this is again just a construct of a mind who is indexing and classifying at not nearly a granular enough level and simply living in a trope filled framework.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:04 pm
LaxFan2000 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:48 pmThanks for clearing up where you stand politically. Sounds like you identify more with the Democratic Party these days...
Do you identify with the current Republican Party, or any party in particular? What are your political ideologies?
Give nothing and extract. Make allegations, put people on the defensive and have them provide material to chop up and remix for ones own benefit. That the religion there.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

What a p***y-just run or go away, it’s what you’ve wanted since you were that awful dbag ball monitor in elementary school.

Ted Cruz to "wait and see" if Trump runs before making 2024 decision

Herb Scribner

Senator Ted Cruz, a Republican from Texas, speaks during the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Dallas, Texas.
Texas Sen. Ted Cruz said he will "wait and see" if former President Trump decides to run before making his own decision about running for president in 2024.

The big picture: GOP presidential hopefuls aren't opening up about their 2024 plans so far given that Trump has yet to announce his plans.

What's happening: Cruz told Fox News at the Conservative Political Action Conference event in Dallas, Texas, Friday that Trump will "decide on his own time frame" whether he will announce a 2024 bid.

"Everyone is going to wait and see what Donald Trump decides and make decisions from there," Cruz told Fox News.
Cruz said he's focused on the 2022 midterm elections, telling Fox News he's "spending practically every waking moment on the campaign trail, focusing on retaking the House and retaking the Senate."
State of play: Recent polling shows Republican voters are willing to look at conservative candidates other than Trump in 2024, Axios reports.

A New York Times/Siena College poll in July found nearly half of Republicans would not vote for Trump in a 2024 presidential primary.
A Detroit News poll from July found Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis statistically tied with Trump in a hypothetical 2024 primary.
What they're saying: Republican lawmakers have been openly looking at new 2024 candidates amid concerns about Trump amid revelations from the Jan. 6 hearings, CNN reports.

DeSantis has deflected questions about 2024. He recently told Fox News he's focused on the 2022 governor's race and what's happening in Florida.
Former Vice President Mike Pence is planning to speak in Iowa later in August, a move widely considered to be a step toward building a presidential bid, Politico reports.
Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) told CNN’s Jake Tapper that she hasn't made a decision on a 2024 bid, but she would make the decision "down the road."
Nikki Haley, former ambassador to the United Nations, hinted at a 2024 run 2022 Christians United for Israel summit in July when criticizing President Biden's hopes to return to the 2015 Iran nuclear deal.
Possible contender Chris Christie told conservative talk-show host Hugh Hewitt he expects the 2024 race to include Cruz, Trump, Pence and maybe six others.
Go deeper ... Poll: Most voters don't want Biden or Trump on the 2024 ballot

Half of Republicans wouldn't vote for Trump in primary, poll finds
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:43 pm

My opinion.

Ya und?
:?

Trumpists and the GOP radically increased the national debt.
For heaven's sake, don't give them the keys to the car, the'll drive us right off the fiscal cliff.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

CONservative Jones has an easy explanation for his problem - blame the Jew:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 39852.html

Alex Jones returned to the airwaves almost immediately on Friday after being ordered to pay nearly $50million to grieving Sandy Hook parents – continuing to insist the decks were stacked against him as he blamed George Soros and “operatives” for his legal troubles ...
In a Friday broadcast, he said that billionaire philanthropist George Soros and an unnamed cabal had “coordinated and run” a campaign against him.

Bigoted bassturd.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:24 am CONservative Jones has an easy explanation for his problem - blame the Jew:

Alex Jones returned to the airwaves almost immediately on Friday after being ordered to pay nearly $50million to grieving Sandy Hook parents – continuing to insist the decks were stacked against him as he blamed George Soros and “operatives” for his legal troubles ...
In a Friday broadcast, he said that billionaire philanthropist George Soros and an unnamed cabal had “coordinated and run” a campaign against him.

Bigoted bassturd.
The largest risk adjusted returns are almost absolutely made in the subprime cohort…

*just need scale for portfolio based attributes to work
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:32 am
Brooklyn wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:24 am CONservative Jones has an easy explanation for his problem - blame the Jew:

Bigoted bassturd.
The largest risk adjusted returns are almost absolutely made in the subprime cohort…

we all know what Jones's "unnamed cabal" is, don't we:

https://i.postimg.cc/pdNjrJWK/jews.jpg

LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

I am a republican. You knew the answer to that, why even ask?
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:05 am
Give nothing and extract. Make allegations, put people on the defensive and have them provide material to chop up and remix for ones own benefit. That the religion there.
Seemingly hit a nerve here. Not sure I ever even addressed you. Strange...
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:31 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:32 am

Bigoted bassturd.

we all know what Jones's "unnamed cabal" is, don't we:

https://i.postimg.cc/pdNjrJWK/jews.jpg
Would you consider yourself to be an extreme liberal? Your posts certainly seem to indicate so. Judging by your username, I am assuming you are from Brooklyn NY? If you are not a younger person which I am betting your not, how did you become such a liberal growing up in Brooklyn? There's nobody that I know who grew up in BK that has political views you like you do. Just wondering.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

What?!?!?? I know Brooklyn through maternal family dating back to the Dodgers being at Ebbetts and there’s a ton of folks who ended up very liberal in their views. Ton of baby boomers who adopted that 80s progressive now anachronistic approach to many societal issues.

Yes he’s a flaming liberal. But you knew that already. And yes you’ve addressed me without adding any substance or inquiring about context like you knew anything about me so sure I don’t mind commenting on that.

Return to “POLITICS”