Conservative Ideology 2024: NOTHING BUT LIES AND FEARMONGERING

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
CU88

Re: Conservative Ideology

Post by CU88 »

I disagreed with most of Walorski positions, but she was at least consistent.

It is a small world in the DC, I was at a Caps game and sat next a young lady who was a fellow Penguins fan. She was a bundle of energy and turned out to be a classmate of one of my daughters at GW, and actually knew my daughter, as they both had been Congressional Interns. They became best friends over their last couple of years at school and then as communication peers in DC after graduation.

She was one of the two staff members killed in the accident with Walorski this week. A loss for us all.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Jury finds Alex Jones caused $4 million in damages to two Sandy Hook parents

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/04/media/al ... index.html

Right-wing talk show host Alex Jones will have to pay the parents of a Sandy Hook shooting victim a little more than $4 million in compensatory damages, a jury decided Thursday, capping a stunning and dramatic case that showcased for the public the real-world harm inflicted by viral conspiracy theories.

The plaintiffs, Scarlett Lewis and Neil Heslin, had asked for $150 million in compensatory damages to be awarded when the trial started.
A separate, shorter trial during which punitive damages will be discussed is now expected. Punitive damages are awarded when the court finds the defendant's behavior to be especially offensive.

The decision from the jury is a partial ending to a years-long process that began in 2018 when Lewis and Heslin sued Jones and his company, Free Speech Systems, which is the parent of the right-wing media organization Infowars. Jones baselessly said in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook shooting, in which 26 people were killed, that the incident was staged. Facing multiple lawsuits, Jones later acknowledged the shooting occurred. He testified in court this week that he now believed it to be "100% real."

But Jones failed to comply with court orders during the discovery process of the lawsuit. His failure to do so led to Heslin and Lewis winning default judgments judgements against Jones. Judge Maya Guerra Gamble ruled in October that Jones was legally responsible for inflicting emotional distress on Heslin and Lewis. Gamble also ruled that Jones was liable for defaming Heslin. The decision to punish Jones in such terms also marks a seismic moment in American society, where the lies and conspiracy theories have flourished in recent years.

conservatism = delusionalism

How anyone can buy into this nonsense is ludicrous beyond belief.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

That’s just compensatory. Have to presume punitive is going to be larger, potentially much larger.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

CPAC featuring Hungarian Neo-Nazi, and Greg Abbott. Sounds about right. Arbeit Macht Frei baby.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:34 am That’s just compensatory. Have to presume punitive is going to be larger, potentially much larger.
$45 million punitive.

Now we're talking.

And that's just these two parents...
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:01 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:34 am That’s just compensatory. Have to presume punitive is going to be larger, potentially much larger.
$45 million punitive.

Now we're talking.

And that's just these two parents...
Beggar that beetch.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Will be interesting to see how he behaves and path he takes when he’s broke. Still will take a bit of time but ultimately he won’t outrun a liability that will bk him personally. Will he make desperate type decisions and moves that could have second order affects to his circle of influence or just limp off into obscurity scraping by.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

There are plenty of right wingers on this forum and I'd like for them to answer the issue of why so many far right delusionals believe in this nonsense of Sandy Hook being a hoax. Same with covid. They were so readily disposed to buy into the garbage of pizzagate and Obamagate because of their delusionalism. But how can they fall for the "hoax" garbage when the news of shooting and pandemic is out in plain sight affecting so many people (and in covid, so many of their own)?
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:57 pm There are plenty of right wingers on this forum and I'd like for them to answer the issue of why so many far right delusionals believe in this nonsense of Sandy Hook being a hoax. Same with covid. They were so readily disposed to buy into the garbage of pizzagate and Obamagate because of their delusionalism. But how can they fall for the "hoax" garbage when the news of shooting and pandemic is out in plain sight affecting so many people (and in covid, so many of their own)?
Why do they have to have a certain political lean to think COVID is a hoax? Do you really think that only people with a certain political lean are capable of thinking this? You never thought that maybe there's a myriad of hundreds of other factors. Education, geographical location, religious bent, family influence and the list goes on and on. Life is not as simple as you make it out to be here. As politically convenient as you are making it sound, it's way, way more complex than this...
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

LaxFan2000 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:40 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:57 pm There are plenty of right wingers on this forum and I'd like for them to answer the issue of why so many far right delusionals believe in this nonsense of Sandy Hook being a hoax. Same with covid. They were so readily disposed to buy into the garbage of pizzagate and Obamagate because of their delusionalism. But how can they fall for the "hoax" garbage when the news of shooting and pandemic is out in plain sight affecting so many people (and in covid, so many of their own)?
Why do they have to have a certain political lean to think COVID is a hoax? Do you really think that only people with a certain political lean are capable of thinking this? You never thought that maybe there's a myriad of hundreds of other factors. Education, geographical location, religious bent, family influence and the list goes on and on. Life is not as simple as you make it out to be here. As politically convenient as you are making it sound, it's way, way more complex than this...
https://today.yougov.com/topics/politic ... nformation
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:42 pm
2000 is correct that one doesn't have to be right wing to believe these wild-eyed, untrue conspiracy theories, but the likelihood is way higher, apparently. Way higher.

Seems to be a legit question as to why so many right wingers bought into the Sandy Hook BS that got peddled by a-holes like Alex Jones.

2000, can you answer that?
What's going on there?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:11 am
2000 is correct that one doesn't have to be right wing to believe these wild-eyed, untrue conspiracy theories, but the likelihood is way higher, apparently. Way higher.

Seems to be a legit question as to why so many right wingers bought into the Sandy Hook BS that got peddled by a-holes like Alex Jones.

What's going on there?
Ron White said it best when describing the fact there is no fixing stupid, because stupid is forever. This bizarre set of beliefs is in the same vein as the many folks all over the world that are convinced the Holocaust never happened either.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

What's going on there?
The Sandy Hook tragedy admittedly turned into a rabbit hole, that is correct. But I don't think Covid is comparable. My point is that "right-wing crap or left-wing crap" is not the answer/solution for everything. Brooklyn sounded as if he legitimately feels that way, and that is a bigger issue in our country. That there are people like that, who can't be convinced otherwise and think everything is a result of one's political lean.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

LaxFan2000 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:55 am

What's going on there?
The Sandy Hook tragedy admittedly turned into a rabbit hole, that is correct. But I don't think Covid is comparable. My point is that "right-wing crap or left-wing crap" is not the answer/solution for everything. Brooklyn sounded as if he legitimately feels that way, and that is a bigger issue in our country. That there are people like that, who can't be convinced otherwise and think everything is a result of one's political lean.
Fair concern.
Let's just say that there's a relationship with belief in these conspiracy theories, snake oil, etc, whether directly causal or not, including with the Covid example.

The data is pretty clear that one's political leanings are a solid predictor of one's views on covid, it's source, the approach to prevention of transmission, the vaccines and therapies appropriate. Not perfectly predictive of course, but big lean.

If not directly causal (ie right wing media or politicians deciding to promote certain conspiracies), what are the reasons why there's such an overlap? It's a stronger relationship, for instance, than educational attainment.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Why do they have to have a certain political lean to think COVID is a hoax?
Do you really think that only people with a certain political lean are capable of thinking this? You never thought that maybe there's a myriad of hundreds of other factors. Education, geographical location, religious bent, family influence and the list goes on and on. Life is not as simple as you make it out to be here. As politically convenient as you are making it sound, it's way, way more complex than this...

Because right wing "thinking" is just that ~ delusionalism. I have had debates on other forums where right wingers use profanities to describe anyone who dares to say the covid plague is a reality. There's just something about these people. It's utter insanity. There's no other way to describe it.

LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:46 pm

Do you really think that only people with a certain political lean are capable of thinking this? You never thought that maybe there's a myriad of hundreds of other factors. Education, geographical location, religious bent, family influence and the list goes on and on. Life is not as simple as you make it out to be here. As politically convenient as you are making it sound, it's way, way more complex than this...

Because right wing "thinking" is just that ~ delusionalism. I have had debates on other forums where right wingers use profanities to describe anyone who dares to say the covid plague is a reality. There's just something about these people. It's utter insanity. There's no other way to describe it.
That's only representative of an extreme subsection of the Republican Party that is unfortunately amplified via the internet medium. The internet, in particular Twitter, is often quite far from actual reality. It's best to stay away from forums like that, unless you are intentionally seeking out these people so that you can complain about them. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here that you are not doing that. Because you can't be expecting a reasonable discussion on those sites. It just doesn't exist. Same on the far left sites. Unfortunate.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

LaxFan2000 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:03 pm
That's only representative of an extreme subsection of the Republican Party that is unfortunately amplified via the internet medium. The internet, in particular Twitter, is often quite far from actual reality. It's best to stay away from forums like that, unless you are intentionally seeking out these people so that you can complain about them. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here that you are not doing that. Because you can't be expecting a reasonable discussion on those sites. It just doesn't exist. Same on the far left sites. Unfortunate.

"extreme subsection"

Not in my experience and certainly not supported by news headlines. Every MAGA rally or Country-Western concert is filled with profane comments about Biden, Democrats, liberals, and anyone else who does not succumb to right wing delusionalism. It certainly wasn't just a small fringe element that attacked the Dixie Chicks and censored their songs on the radios. It was mass hysteria and hate - these elements did the same with covid and their allegation that it was just a "hoax". While I don't post on Twitter I have posted on You Tube and seen these delusionals cry and whine about covid in that manner. Their cries and tears have died down in recent months as YT has finally decided to force them to tone down their hysteria by charging them with violating TOS. I have NEVER seen any such hate and profane garbage on leftist sites. Never.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Which is why we do try to have such conversations here, and why those who actively participate here appreciate this environment.

That said, I keep coming across people in my personal "real world" life who believe this garbage, hook line and sinker, swallowed whole.

We also do know that there is much greater belief in some really strange things than we'd like to admit...it's convenient (and perhaps used to be more the case) to think that such was limited to an extreme fringe...but, today that percentage is much, much larger.

Look at the belief in the Big Lie among the GOP today...Biden cheated, Trump actually won... big majority. Not all, but quite marked. Batsh-t crazy, but there we are...

I think that's because of the fragmented information/media world, in which the incentives are to attract and maintain eyeballs, which is most effective by stimulating chemical reactions in the brain and nervous system through telling a 'story' that makes people feel passionately...doesn't need to be true. Indeed, the more incendiary and 'unbelievable' the better...

That strategy earned talk radio on the right huge profits, and there was a concerted political strategy to buy up stations and dominate those airwaves with progressively more and more off the wall claims. With the explosion of cable, this was taken to TV, and then to the web...huge profits. The social media world put this strategy on steroids in terms of impact and 'permission structure'. Colossal profitability.

The left has been slower to adapt to these strategies, and provided less chemical/nervous system stimulation. Much of the mainstream media is certainly liberal leaning, but by and large they believed in journalistic integrity and their job was to uncover uncomfortable truths, as the 4th estate challenging power. But not to make shite up for profit.

Some of that now happens on the left, unfortunately, as well. But the hard right (not actually "conservative") dominates this strategy.

My opinion.
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:27 pm

Which is why we do try to have such conversations here, and why those who actively participate here appreciate this environment.

That said, I keep coming across people in my personal "real world" life who believe this garbage, hook line and sinker, swallowed whole.

We also do know that there is much greater belief in some really strange things than we'd like to admit...it's convenient (and perhaps used to be more the case) to think that such was limited to an extreme fringe...but, today that percentage is much, much larger.

Look at the belief in the Big Lie among the GOP today...Biden cheated, Trump actually won... big majority. Not all, but quite marked. Batsh-t crazy, but there we are...

I think that's because of the fragmented information/media world, in which the incentives are to attract and maintain eyeballs, which is most effective by stimulating chemical reactions in the brain and nervous system through telling a 'story' that makes people feel passionately...doesn't need to be true. Indeed, the more incendiary and 'unbelievable' the better...

That strategy earned talk radio on the right huge profits, and there was a concerted political strategy to buy up stations and dominate those airwaves with progressively more and more off the wall claims. With the explosion of cable, this was taken to TV, and then to the web...huge profits. The social media world put this strategy on steroids in terms of impact and 'permission structure'. Colossal profitability.

The left has been slower to adapt to these strategies, and provided less chemical/nervous system stimulation. Much of the mainstream media is certainly liberal leaning, but by and large they believed in journalistic integrity and their job was to uncover uncomfortable truths, as the 4th estate challenging power. But not to make shite up for profit.

Some of that now happens on the left, unfortunately, as well. But the hard right (not actually "conservative") dominates this strategy.

My opinion.
Thanks. Are you a republican? I've thought you have said you were in the past. This post certainly doesn't sound like it comes from someone who claims to be a republican. You are basically stating the right is guilty of this about 95% and the left about 5%. That's not in even close. It's much more prevalent on the left than you claim it to be. Whether you want to believe that is I guess up to you, and you only.

Return to “POLITICS”