Coaching Carousel D3 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Leonard Washington

Re: Coaching Carousel D3 2022

Post by Leonard Washington »

Switzerland wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:20 am
River Donkey wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:06 pm Johnson & Wales Rhode Island is open.
When all else fails...
?
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
WoodStick

Post by WoodStick »

Any word on Kings College and who they are looking at?
SneaksBeac

Post by SneaksBeac »

Leonard Washington wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:10 am
Switzerland wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:20 am
River Donkey wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:06 pm Johnson & Wales Rhode Island is open.
When all else fails...
?
It's one of those classic regional jokes "When all else fails Johnson and Wales..." get it....it rhymes...
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

WoodStick wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:49 pm Any word on Kings College and who they are looking at?
They just reopened the search so I assume they aren’t looking at anyone right now.
Leonard Washington

SneaksBeac wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:02 pm It's one of those classic regional jokes "When all else fails Johnson and Wales..." get it....it rhymes...
Oh okay. Went over my head. :lol:
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

boredatwork wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:11 am Westminster has their man

https://athletics.westminster.edu/sports/mens-lacrosse
The coach they hired and the assistant coach they have seem to be fairly comparable at first glance. Did Coach Stow not apply, did they go in another direction?
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Manhattanville is open
liongoes

Post by liongoes »

For the schools that haven't filled HC spots or are just posting them...how does that work with the academic year so close? Has to affect recruiting and offseason prep/skillwork/gameplanning, right? Beyond a school like Elms (which seemingly doesn't have a program but is on here as having a position open?), how do schools handle not having a coach in the offseason/heading into the new school year?
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

liongoes wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:48 pm For the schools that haven't filled HC spots or are just posting them...how does that work with the academic year so close? Has to affect recruiting and offseason prep/skillwork/gameplanning, right? Beyond a school like Elms (which seemingly doesn't have a program but is on here as having a position open?), how do schools handle not having a coach in the offseason/heading into the new school year?
Simply put, they don’t really care about the team being successful. Lacrosse is there to drive male enrollment. Winning games means nothing to most admins.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Sometimes they'll get caught off-guard with a late departure and have to trust that the assistant can run fall ball, but mostly what River Donkey said.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

I've spoken with a lot of D3 coaches this summer and most discussions have found their way to us talking about the oddities in this summer's hiring / departure cycle. (BTW- I WAS WAY OFF THIS SPRING WHEN I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A QUIET SUMMER, WITHOUT MUCH MOVEMENT)

Sounds like it's been a very odd year with late departures and lack of interest in many jobs. Guys who would normally be in the mix for assistant jobs are getting head coaching interviews and even offers. Guys who are applying for jobs, taking interviews and going deep into the process are backing out at the last minute.

I don't disagree that in a lot of cases it's the school dragging their feet that has left some spots open this late; but I also think there's a big change happening within the culture of the coaching profession; leaving far less candidates than normal. Guys aren't feeling "valued" working long hours for $50K. They think they deserve more than that kind of money. Heck, a full time Walmart associate makes more than that.

For years school admins could play the game of knowing there were more guys who wanted that kind of job, so they knew they would eventually find a qualified coach willing to work those hours for that kind of pay. But the times have changed.

Now you got guys looking at long hours, with limited support / limited chance at success for (for a lot of these open jobs), likely relocating (maybe with a family?), trying to find housing in a tough buyers market, not to mention trying to find a good job for a spouse (if applicable) all for $50K just to call yourself a head coach....you have to really love coaching to put yourself through that.

Sounds like it's not unique to the lacrosse world either, as the NCAA site has a TON of open jobs for other sports.

I don't want to pull too many clicks away from fanlax, but the site below has been updated throughout the summer...look at the number of open jobs still. It's crazy.
https://coda.io/@coachtracker/updates
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:44 am I've spoken with a lot of D3 coaches this summer and most discussions have found their way to us talking about the oddities in this summer's hiring / departure cycle. (BTW- I WAS WAY OFF THIS SPRING WHEN I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A QUIET SUMMER, WITHOUT MUCH MOVEMENT)

Sounds like it's been a very odd year with late departures and lack of interest in many jobs. Guys who would normally be in the mix for assistant jobs are getting head coaching interviews and even offers. Guys who are applying for jobs, taking interviews and going deep into the process are backing out at the last minute.

I don't disagree that in a lot of cases it's the school dragging their feet that has left some spots open this late; but I also think there's a big change happening within the culture of the coaching profession; leaving far less candidates than normal. Guys aren't feeling "valued" working long hours for $50K. They think they deserve more than that kind of money. Heck, a full time Walmart associate makes more than that.

For years school admins could play the game of knowing there were more guys who wanted that kind of job, so they knew they would eventually find a qualified coach willing to work those hours for that kind of pay. But the times have changed.

Now you got guys looking at long hours, with limited support / limited chance at success for (for a lot of these open jobs), likely relocating (maybe with a family?), trying to find housing in a tough buyers market, not to mention trying to find a good job for a spouse (if applicable) all for $50K just to call yourself a head coach....you have to really love coaching to put yourself through that.

Sounds like it's not unique to the lacrosse world either, as the NCAA site has a TON of open jobs for other sports.

I don't want to pull too many clicks away from fanlax, but the site below has been updated throughout the summer...look at the number of open jobs still. It's crazy.
+1
Midwestfan2018

Post by Midwestfan2018 »

Agreed. Schools that care are going to have to start to match other sports. Look at how many don't even have a full time assistant.

And to add to the late hirings: Ferrum is now open with Baggeta moving to NAIA
https://liferunningeagles.com/news/2022 ... ogram.aspx

Also, Mount Union is open. Not listed on the website, but Coach Stewart is out. They've had a couple candidates on campus, players have met with them as well. Could be a quick process.
Leonard Washington

My head is spinning with all these announcements and postings. Hard to keep up but know most of these coaches have their reasons for moving on (whether we agree with them or understand them). Pretty sure there will be a few more coming as well.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

Midwestfan2018 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:37 pm And to add to the late hirings: Ferrum is now open with Baggeta moving to NAIA
I'm sorry, what university? Will they raise money for "The Human Fund" for community service?
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Leonard Washington wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:42 pm My head is spinning with all these announcements and postings. Hard to keep up but know most of these coaches have their reasons for moving on (whether we agree with them or understand them). Pretty sure there will be a few more coming as well.
OHLaxDad

Post by OHLaxDad »

Midwestfan2018 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:37 pm Agreed. Schools that care are going to have to start to match other sports. Look at how many don't even have a full time assistant.

And to add to the late hirings: Ferrum is now open with Baggeta moving to NAIA

Also, Mount Union is open. Not listed on the website, but Coach Stewart is out. They've had a couple candidates on campus, players have met with them as well. Could be a quick process.
Mount Union has been open all summer. My son played summer ball with some UMU guys and they had told him back in June.
Leonard Washington

OHLaxDad wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:23 pm
Midwestfan2018 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:37 pm
Mount Union has been open all summer. My son played summer ball with some UMU guys and they had told him back in June.
As one of a number of people I had also heard this position was open/opening in early July. I didnt see anything posted, so just figured it was a rumor and wasnt sure.

Announcement coming soon I'm guessing
Leonard Washington

boredatwork wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:35 pm Manhattanville is open
I wonder if Hayes is staying in coaching?

Surprised adminstration didn't take the easy route and hire assistant (and alum) Sam Hahn

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”