Coaching Carousel D3 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
CrazyPeople

Re: Coaching Carousel D3 2022

Post by CrazyPeople »

SUNY Oswego players were notified via email that they have hired Andrew Daly from Wells College as the new Head Coach. Interesting hire...doesn't look like Wells has had more than 15 players on their team and have been bottom dwellers in D3 forever. Likely a result of a poor candidate pool.

Current Openings

Albright (PA)
Kings (PA)
Marywood (PA)
St. Josephs College NY- PT
Elms (MA)
Whittier (CA)
Westminster (PA)
Juniata (PA)
Marietta (OH)
Earlham (IN)
Plattsburgh (NY)
Wells College (NY)

Filled

Delaware Valley (PA) - William Lawlor, Lebanon Valley College full-time assistant
Bates (ME)- Dan Annino, JHU Volunteer
Edgewood College (WI)- Garrett Wohlford, Edgewood Graduate Assistant
Hiram (OH)- Brian Welch, Concordia Chicago HC
Oglethorpe (GA)- Scott Dangel, Oglethorpe AC
Roger Williams (RI)- Kevin Gould, Providence AC
Wooster (OH)- Eric Seideman, MSMC HC
Utica (NY) - Lelan Rogers, OWU & Cortland HC, DC at Syracuse for 15 years
Benedictine (IL) - Blake Keenan, Earlham HC
Mitchell College (CT) - Dylan Neisler, Wooster, interim HC
Misericordia (PA) - Andrew Hauk, Plattsburgh HC
Easter Nazarene (MA) - Ron Hamwey, UMass AC
Goucher (MD) - Kyle Hannan, Queens College AHC, Mercer HC
SUNY Brockport (NY) - Colin Cornaire, SUNY Geneseo AC
SUNY Oswego (NY) - Andrew Daly, Wells College HS
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

CrazyPeople wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:34 am SUNY Oswego players were notified via email that they have hired Andrew Daly from Wells College as the new Head Coach. Interesting hire...doesn't look like Wells has had more than 15 players on their team and have been bottom dwellers in D3 forever. Likely a result of a poor candidate pool.

Current Openings

Albright (PA)
Kings (PA)
Marywood (PA)
St. Josephs College NY- PT
Elms (MA)
Whittier (CA)
Westminster (PA)
Juniata (PA)
Marietta (OH)
Earlham (IN)
Plattsburgh (NY)
Wells College (NY)

Filled

Delaware Valley (PA) - William Lawlor, Lebanon Valley College full-time assistant
Bates (ME)- Dan Annino, JHU Volunteer
Edgewood College (WI)- Garrett Wohlford, Edgewood Graduate Assistant
Hiram (OH)- Brian Welch, Concordia Chicago HC
Oglethorpe (GA)- Scott Dangel, Oglethorpe AC
Roger Williams (RI)- Kevin Gould, Providence AC
Wooster (OH)- Eric Seideman, MSMC HC
Utica (NY) - Lelan Rogers, OWU & Cortland HC, DC at Syracuse for 15 years
Benedictine (IL) - Blake Keenan, Earlham HC
Mitchell College (CT) - Dylan Neisler, Wooster, interim HC
Misericordia (PA) - Andrew Hauk, Plattsburgh HC
Easter Nazarene (MA) - Ron Hamwey, UMass AC
Goucher (MD) - Kyle Hannan, Queens College AHC, Mercer HC
SUNY Brockport (NY) - Colin Cornaire, SUNY Geneseo AC
SUNY Oswego (NY) - Andrew Daly, Wells College HS
FYI St Joes LI hired Tim Tuttle (Stoney Brook, NYIT, Farmingdale)
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

CrazyPeople wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:34 am SUNY Oswego players were notified via email that they have hired Andrew Daly from Wells College as the new Head Coach. Interesting hire...doesn't look like Wells has had more than 15 players on their team and have been bottom dwellers in D3 forever. Likely a result of a poor candidate pool.
There are a number of open head mens lacrosse coaching jobs that are not getting the quality or quantity of candidates as we have seen in the past. I do know that there are a couple of positions that have already been filled by a coach who wasn't the first choice at that particular institution.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Leonard Washington wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:50 am
There are a number of open head mens lacrosse coaching jobs that are not getting the quality or quantity of candidates as we have seen in the past. I do know that there are a couple of positions that have already been filled by a coach who wasn't the first choice at that particular institution.
I would think that the housing market and current state of the economy could be causing many coaches that have good/solid jobs to just stay put. There really haven’t been a lot of great openings this year either.
Leonard Washington

I will also add that a number of candidates have significant others who have to give them the ok in order to pack up the family and move to X school and university.

The money that some of these schools are offering (or lack there of), it doesnt make sense for these guys to move, even if the institution takes care of some of the moving expenses.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:42 pm
Leonard Washington wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:50 am
I would think that the housing market and current state of the economy could be causing many coaches that have good/solid jobs to just stay put. There really haven’t been a lot of great openings this year either.
Completely agree. After last years musical chairs of very good jobs/very good coaches, this was bound to happen. Bates and Wooster are very good jobs to build success. Misericordia has had some nice success of recent. Whittier has so many "problems" it is no longer a stepping stone job. Marywood has some value to it especially after last season but is that sustainable? Can you win at SUNY Plattsburgh?
Leonard Washington

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:27 pm Can you win at SUNY Plattsburgh?
Yes. Whatever route they decide to go and who they decide to hire, give Plattsburgh a year or two and they can be back.

I think Juniata and Marietta are solid jobs with a ton of upside.

What is going on with Marywood and their search?
KingPrat

Post by KingPrat »

If you're suggesting that Daly is a poor hire due to the roster size at Wells, I think that's a little short-sighted.

Wells has been a perennial bottom-dweller at D3 since its inception, and that points much more to institutional support/reputation than who has been the head coach. I grew up in NY and have family in the Syracuse area, and had NO IDEA Wells was outside of Cuse. Doubt the school is on many students radar, especially considering you can get a better education at many of the SUNY schools for much less. (Not that Wells is overly expensive)

Daly had success as an assistant at Oneonta and understands the SUNY experience. I think it could potentially be a good fit. And after working at a school like Wells, I'm sure he knows how to grind out recruiting.

A note on SUNY postings:

I honestly think you're going to see many of these SUNY positions (as they turn over in the coming years) filled by applicants with similar backgrounds for a couple reasons.

1. NY is an expensive state to live in.
2. SUNY doesn't pay well overall.

Starting salary at Plattsburgh is $42k. I'm sure it's similar at Oswego. We all saw what happened at Brockport. These positions will continue to pay in the $45k range, especially as the number of NY residents continues to decline. SUNY recognizes that their potential student pool is draining, and this will likely lead to some major budget cuts in the next 5-10 years.

Only program that would have the pull to entice an upper-level D3 HC would be Cortland. But I'm sure there will be $$ considerations after paying Beville $85k/year
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

KingPrat wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:04 pm I grew up in NY and have family in the Syracuse area, and had NO IDEA Wells was outside of Cuse.
I too grew up outside of Syracuse in Chittenango NY and I had no Idea that Wells College even existed. But to be fair, back in my day we had to go to HR to look at the big college book (Fiske Guide).
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Word on the street is ursinus is going to have a new coach
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

boredatwork wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:29 am Word on the street is ursinus is going to have a new coach
Head or assistant? DeSimone is leaving to work for NXT.
Leonard Washington

boredatwork wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:29 am Word on the street is ursinus is going to have a new coach
Are we to assume Head Coach?
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Leonard Washington wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:42 pm
Are we to assume Head Coach?

Yes, head coach. Apparently alums were informed via email Gary Mercadante has stepped down.

Also Marywood finally has their man

https://marywoodpacers.com/news/2022/8 ... coach.aspx
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Johnson & Wales Rhode Island is open.
Leonard Washington

River Donkey wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:06 pm Johnson & Wales Rhode Island is open.
Underrated landing spot for a coach.
SneaksBeac

Post by SneaksBeac »

Leonard Washington

SneaksBeac wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:41 pm https://msmcknights.com/news/2022/8/2/m ... ogram.aspx

Mt St Mary's have the guy
Hungry and passionate coach. Looks like a great fit.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

River Donkey wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:06 pm Johnson & Wales Rhode Island is open.
When all else fails...
OHLaxDad

Post by OHLaxDad »

Marietta has their coach. Ben Suchomma, Grove City assistant. Ohio native.

https://pioneers.marietta.edu/news/2022 ... coach.aspx

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”