Re: Athletes Unlimited 2022

Post by DMac »

Gotta love Levy, nice shot.
2-2
DMac

Post by DMac »

Ally M, such a workhorse,
3-2, Apuzzo end of 1 on a goal from Ally M, assisted by Holman.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

DMac wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:23 pm Ally M, such a workhorse,
Close game at the half 5-3…. Team Jo almost won that half .
Some of these kids will shoot no matter how wide open a low attacker is. Crazy . 13 TO combined . Goalies making a few decent saves . But some weak shots…no wonder goalies are the big points-getters for this league .
DMac

Post by DMac »

Laxfan500 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:47 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:23 pm Ally M, such a workhorse,
Close game at the half 5-3…. Team Jo almost won that half .
Some of these kids will shoot no matter how wide open a low attacker is. Crazy . 13 TO combined . Goalies making a few decent saves . But some weak shots…no wonder goalies are the big points-getters for this league .
Yes, think it was Gilbert who scored on the fast break for Johansen. Levy was wide open on the doorstep, should've passed it to her.
Lucky it's not 6-3, Holman doesn't miss from the doorstep often. CN really stifled by these rules, coupled with top notch defenders she's been held scoreless. Good game all in all.
DMac

Post by DMac »

8-6 Apuzzo end of 3, anybody's game.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

DMac wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:18 pm 8-6 Apuzzo end of 3, anybody's game.
Why is norths jersey dif than everyone else’s ? She needs black numbers why….because camera isn’t on her enough to make her stand out?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:24 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:18 pm 8-6 Apuzzo end of 3, anybody's game.
Why is norths jersey dif than everyone else’s ? She needs black numbers why….because camera isn’t on her enough to make her stand out?
My guess was there was no jersey #88 and it was a rush order from the brand who either messed up the coloring or it was the fastest option - especially if it was only a single jersey that was ordered.
DMac

Post by DMac »

12-6 final, Apuzzo.
So many good players on the field but Mastroianni continues to impress me the most.
I'm picking her first if I'm picking players.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

I’ve always been a fan of Joe Beninati and think he does a very good job, BUT he needs new material:

1. 60 second shot clock
2. Thanks to our technical crew
3. We are at US Lacrosse Headquarters in Sparks Maryland
4. And the constant talk about Charlotte North

He repeats the same thing multiple times and repeats it in every game. As a fan of AU it gets really old quick.

Maybe we should just turn the announcing into a drinking game where your take a chug every time he repeats himself.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:59 pm I’ve always been a fan of Joe Beninati and think he does a very good job, BUT he needs new material:

1. 60 second shot clock

He repeats the same thing multiple times and repeats it in every game. As a fan of AU it gets really old quick.

Maybe we should just turn the announcing into a drinking game where your take a chug every time he repeats himself.
I try to like Joe B but find it difficult. Agree with all of the above, and as a side, in case you don't know, the Tewaaraton is the equivalent of the Heisman.
Number 4 is really doing CN a disservice, just way over the top stuff from Joe.
On a team of super stars and on a field with world class players CN has not been
the dominant player that Joe keeps telling us about.(wonder if his middle name
is Wregett). Give it a rest, Joe, just let the girl play, we see how good she is.
As for the drinking game, we're going to need a lot of drinks.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:59 pm I’ve always been a fan of Joe Beninati and think he does a very good job, BUT he needs new material:

1. 60 second shot clock

Yeah I mentioned the "shout out to the men and women of our technical crew" earlier in the thread. As a Caps fan, I hear that a minimum of 3 x 82 games. Old....BTW, he talked about "Over and back" tonight...not a part of the women's game.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

why is CN the only player with dark numbers on her jersey tonight? All the others on her team were white?
Mrs@inthe8m

Post by Mrs@inthe8m »

I’m enjoying AU again this summer, have watched about 80% of play so far. I like the college game better no doubt, but this is fun for the summer. Side note, I do not enjoy watching Sixes at all and am a little sad that is the version of lacrosse being put forth for the Olympics.

Apuzzo is my favorite attacker, but I think North is doing just fine - better than fine, actually - and has had some amazing plays so far. Teams appear to be paying close attention to her, which has opened up opportunities for others. True she only shot .333 tonight but Mastroianni shot .29 and Ortega only .25. North has 9G 5A so far and Ortega has 6G 5A for what it’s worth. Gilbert is also doing well with 10G and only 1A (does not get bashed for being only a goal scorer, though). Looking forward to the remaining games this weekend. I see Team Appuzo doing well again.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I too enjoy this league a whole lot, it takes wlax lax to a different level and I very much understand why the purists would not like it as it is absolutely the definition of the (I get to use my favorite new word here again) seemingly inexorable march to the mlax game. I have no idea what the viewership of these games is but I do believe that the mlax fans who have never enjoyed/appreciated the women's game will enjoy this version of wlax and watch it. My buddy who scoffed at wlax and just couldn't watch it is tuning into these games and very much enjoying them. It really is mlax just toned down a little bit and the players are just phenomenal across the board. What's to not like?
Agree, CN is doing just fine and I doubt there would be any bashing of her were it not for the likes of the Joe Bs out there anointing her as the great one, greatest of all time, the Atalanta of wlax. Gilbert is absolutely not shy about shooting, nor is Kennedy and man, what blazing speed those two have, very aggressive players.
I'd like to see Kayla Wood be more willing to take the ball to the cage, she's had a couple of opportunities but is quick to dish and retreat back to her end. No way that girl couldn't take it to the cage and get a shot or assist when the D comes to cover her. What a fantastic D player though!
The switching of players on teams each week is a real interesting twist and I've come to not mind it at all. In a league this size it almost makes sense in that if you had one dominant team I don't think it would be as interesting. I'm not crazy about one player being named the champ but it is what it is, I guess. Will say again, I really do enjoy watching these girls being able to play the way they can in this league/with these rules. I think it really showcases what tremendous athletes they are which isn't to say the college game doesn't but this does even more so. Fantastic stuff.
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

Mrs@inthe8m wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:54 am I’m enjoying AU again this summer, have watched about 80% of play so far. I like the college game better no doubt, but this is fun for the summer. Side note, I do not enjoy watching Sixes at all and am a little sad that is the version of lacrosse being put forth for the Olympics.

Apuzzo is my favorite attacker, but I think North is doing just fine - better than fine, actually - and has had some amazing plays so far. Teams appear to be paying close attention to her, which has opened up opportunities for others. True she only shot .333 tonight but Mastroianni shot .29 and Ortega only .25. North has 9G 5A so far and Ortega has 6G 5A for what it’s worth. Gilbert is also doing well with 10G and only 1A (does not get bashed for being only a goal scorer, though). Looking forward to the remaining games this weekend. I see Team Appuzo doing well again.
Top 5 League Leaders in Pts after 4 Games: (Goals/Assists)

T1. Apuzzo 7G 7A
T1. Majorana 6G 8A
T2. Ortega 6G 5A
T2. North 6G 5A
T2. Gilbert 10G 1A
Mrs@inthe8m

Post by Mrs@inthe8m »

DMac, I hear you, the wlax player in my household gets pretty annoyed with changes to make the game more like mlax. Her biggest gripe with AU is allowing dangerous play and blatant fouls.
Mrs@inthe8m

Post by Mrs@inthe8m »

LaxFan2000 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:40 am
Mrs@inthe8m wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:54 am I’m enjoying AU again this summer, have watched about 80% of play so far. I like the college game better no doubt, but this is fun for the summer. Side note, I do not enjoy watching Sixes at all and am a little sad that is the version of lacrosse being put forth for the Olympics.

T1. Apuzzo 7G 7A
T1. Majorana 6G 8A
T2. Ortega 6G 5A
T2. North 6G 5A
T2. Gilbert 10G 1A
Are you sure about North's stats? When I click on her profile I see 9 goals, 5 assists. When I view AU stats I see Gilbert leading in goals with 10 and North in second with 9. Am I missing something? Stats aren't everything, and I get that some people gush about various players to a level that is annoying. My daughter's style and strengths are more like Ortega's, not North's, so I definitely appreciate how Ortega plays and have always thought she's a great player. North is also great and fun to watch.
Last edited by Mrs@inthe8m on Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

Mrs@inthe8m wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:32 am

T1. Apuzzo 7G 7A
T1. Majorana 6G 8A
T2. Ortega 6G 5A
T2. North 6G 5A
T2. Gilbert 10G 1A
Are you sure about North's stats? When I click on her profile I see 9 goals, 5 assists. When I view AU stats I see Gilbert leading in goals with 10 and North in second with 9. Am I missing something? Stats aren't everything, and I get that some people gush about various players to a level that is annoying, but the degree to which Ortega fans appear so bitter about North's success is also odd to me. My daughter's style and strengths are more like Ortega's, not North's, so I definitely appreciate how Ortega plays and have always thought she's a great player. North is also great and fun to watch.
I stand corrected North has 9 goals, and is tied for 1st with Majorana and Apuzzo. For some reason the leaderboard only shows her with 6 goals, but when you click on her name, she has 9 goals.

T1. Apuzzo 7G 7A
T1. Majorana 6G 8A
T1. North 9G 5A
T2. Ortega 6G 5A
T2. Gilbert 10G 1A
Mrs@inthe8m

Post by Mrs@inthe8m »

LaxFan2000 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:38 am

T1. Apuzzo 7G 7A
T1. Majorana 6G 8A
T2. Ortega 6G 5A
T2. North 6G 5A
T2. Gilbert 10G 1A
Are you sure about North's stats? When I click on her profile I see 9 goals, 5 assists. When I view AU stats I see Gilbert leading in goals with 10 and North in second with 9. Am I missing something? Stats aren't everything, and I get that some people gush about various players to a level that is annoying, but the degree to which Ortega fans appear so bitter about North's success is also odd to me. My daughter's style and strengths are more like Ortega's, not North's, so I definitely appreciate how Ortega plays and have always thought she's a great player. North is also great and fun to watch.
I stand corrected North has 9 goals, and is tied for 1st with Majorana and Apuzzo. For some reason the leaderboard only shows her with 6 goals, but when you click on her name, she has 9 goals.

T1. Apuzzo 7G 7A
T1. Majorana 6G 8A
T1. North 9G 5A
T2. Ortega 6G 5A
T2. Gilbert 10G 1A
I see the issue. Two point goals are counted separately and North has 3 of those. The points system adds a layer of confusion.
Mrs@inthe8m

Post by Mrs@inthe8m »

LaxFan2000 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:38 am

T1. Apuzzo 7G 7A
T1. Majorana 6G 8A
T2. Ortega 6G 5A
T2. North 6G 5A
T2. Gilbert 10G 1A

T1. Apuzzo 7G 7A
T1. Majorana 6G 8A
T1. North 9G 5A
T2. Ortega 6G 5A
T2. Gilbert 10G 1A
I see the issue. Two point goals are counted separately and North has 3 of those. The points system adds a layer of confusion.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”