Religion in America

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
PizzaSnake

Re: Religion in America

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:45 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:23 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:41 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:38 pm Happy I could give TLD aka PizzaSnake aka NattyBoh something to chat about amongst himself. ;) :lol:
Thanks Dithers. :lol: :lol: ;)

EDIT! Dithering Flanders.. ;) :lol:
Funny that you're supposed to be me or I'm supposed to be you. Guess that fits in with YA's worldview. Literal groupthink?

No way we could be different people on a message board of 4,000+ members.

Since you're me, could you tell me how many college teams I (I guess we) coached? :D
I have no idea why an adult would pretend to be someone else. Must be the circle YA rolls with.
If a dissociative self speaks, do the others hear it…😂

With apologies to Berkeley..
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:48 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:51 am
AOD wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:30 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:07 pm
Good for you. The opinion of many folks on this forum is decidedly anti Christian with a special hatred for those mother effing catholics. Those mother effing catholics are the one group of religious folks that are mocked, ridiculed and insulted everyday on this forum that will always get a pass for whatever they say to insult catholics in this country. Funny why that is. :roll: I don't know any catholics that have ever blown themselves up to become a martyr. As a matter of fact, suicide is one of the biggest insults to catholic faith. Taking your own life prevents you from going to heaven if your a devout catholic.
Although I don't read this forum everyday, I really can't agree with this opinion c&s. I realize it's fashionable in the catholic church to allege persecution as a reason boldly to proclaim faith, especially with regard to certain political issues. But, I don't see hatred for Catholics here.

What I do see in my community unfortunately is a propensity among Catholics to hold others in judgment, especially other Catholics. At times it feels the as though Pharisees have visited the 21st century. In fact, the faith has developed a schism that has emboldened some ranking bishops to reject outright the statements of the Pope. I feel this in part is responsible for the attrition the church continues to experience and I fear it won't be possible to bring this group together again.
I would respectfully suggest you visit this forum more often. There is a decided anti catholic hatred among more than a few posters. It is not like they try and hide their contempt for catholics and the catholic church. On this forum there is an open season on any and all things catholic. The catholic church is the one organization you can mock and ridicule to your hearts content and no one on this forum will judge you for doing so.
There may be a couple of posters who actually feel the way you describe, but I think it's more about the ire at the Catholic Church's cover-up of its history of sexual issues than anything else. Sure, the abortion stance, former contraception stance, etc bother folks, but I think it's mostly the pedophilia cover-up.

But not so much at "Catholics" as a generality, as there's quite a schism amongst Catholics, and most fair observers understand this to be the case.

But those who are the most "fundamentalist" among Catholics, also seem to be those most compliant with the hierarchy, which definitely has been corrupted on the pedophilia issue. And these folks are also most judgmental about the choices of others. Being judged by others is always going to rankle...

It's really not a surprise to find this issues paralleled with many of the most fundamentalist evangelical groups.
It’s not the church per se, it is the cover-ups.

As for the adherents, it is pity tinged with contempt for their weak-mindedness and the perpetuation of same, particularly when they damage their children’s critical faculties via religious inculcation.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Good for you. The opinion of many folks on this forum is decidedly anti Christian with a special hatred for those mother effing catholics. Those mother effing catholics are the one group of religious folks that are mocked, ridiculed and insulted everyday on this forum that will always get a pass for whatever they say to insult catholics in this country. Funny why that is. :roll: I don't know any catholics that have ever blown themselves up to become a martyr. As a matter of fact, suicide is one of the biggest insults to catholic faith. Taking your own life prevents you from going to heaven if your a devout catholic.
Although I don't read this forum everyday, I really can't agree with this opinion c&s. I realize it's fashionable in the catholic church to allege persecution as a reason boldly to proclaim faith, especially with regard to certain political issues. But, I don't see hatred for Catholics here.

What I do see in my community unfortunately is a propensity among Catholics to hold others in judgment, especially other Catholics. At times it feels the as though Pharisees have visited the 21st century. In fact, the faith has developed a schism that has emboldened some ranking bishops to reject outright the statements of the Pope. I feel this in part is responsible for the attrition the church continues to experience and I fear it won't be possible to bring this group together again.
I would respectfully suggest you visit this forum more often. There is a decided anti catholic hatred among more than a few posters. It is not like they try and hide their contempt for catholics and the catholic church. On this forum there is an open season on any and all things catholic. The catholic church is the one organization you can mock and ridicule to your hearts content and no one on this forum will judge you for doing so.
There may be a couple of posters who actually feel the way you describe, but I think it's more about the ire at the Catholic Church's cover-up of its history of sexual issues than anything else. Sure, the abortion stance, former contraception stance, etc bother folks, but I think it's mostly the pedophilia cover-up.

But not so much at "Catholics" as a generality, as there's quite a schism amongst Catholics, and most fair observers understand this to be the case.

But those who are the most "fundamentalist" among Catholics, also seem to be those most compliant with the hierarchy, which definitely has been corrupted on the pedophilia issue. And these folks are also most judgmental about the choices of others. Being judged by others is always going to rankle...

It's really not a surprise to find this issues paralleled with many of the most fundamentalist evangelical groups.
I have not been a practicing Catholic since i graduated from a Catholic HS in 1976. My issues were never with the Catholic church but more about the hypocrisy of organized religion in general. I don't understand why but the Catholic Church and Catholics in general, especially on this forum are open season to all sorts of unwarranted criticism. If the same criticism was directed at Jews or Muslims or any other religion there are members of this forum that would lose their minds. i guess Catholicism is an easy target to poke fun at but if you criticize Muslims or Jews...... :roll: I will stand corrected if any forum member can tell me of any organized religion that is above criticism or has no skeletons in their closet. What did Jesus say when the crowd wanted to stone the adulteress to death??? LET HE AMONG YOU THAT IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:35 pm

I have not been a practicing Catholic since i graduated from a Catholic HS in 1976. My issues were never with the Catholic church but more about the hypocrisy of organized religion in general. I don't understand why but the Catholic Church and Catholics in general, especially on this forum are open season to all sorts of unwarranted criticism. If the same criticism was directed at Jews or Muslims or any other religion there are members of this forum that would lose their minds. i guess Catholicism is an easy target to poke fun at but if you criticize Muslims or Jews...... :roll: I will stand corrected if any forum member can tell me of any organized religion that is above criticism or has no skeletons in their closet. What did Jesus say when the crowd wanted to stone the adulteress to death??? LET HE AMONG YOU THAT IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE.
Delusional…
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:44 pm

Delusional…
God bless you my child, i will keep you in my prayers. Are you saying that Jesus was delusional??? :roll: :roll When you look at the anger and hatred directed on this forum towards Christians you may well be correct.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:00 pm

Delusional…
God bless you my child, i will keep you in my prayers. Are you saying that Jesus was delusional??? :roll: :roll When you look at the anger and hatred directed on this forum towards Christians you may well be correct.
Tell you what cradle, either go back and find us some examples of this, "unwarranted criticism" and "anger and hatred towards Christians" (or Catholics) or alert us the next time you see such...I think you're gonna have a very hard time doing so, but have at it.
Typical Lax Dad

Delusional…
You have a God complex also I see.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:14 pm

Delusional…
There is a line in the movie Rudy when he is talking to the priest inside the church. The priest tells him he knows 2 things for sure. He knows there is a God and he knows that it ain't him. That is about as far as my God complex goes.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:12 pm

Delusional…
Tell you what cradle, either go back and find us some examples of this, "unwarranted criticism" and "anger and hatred towards Christians" (or Catholics) or alert us the next time you see such...I think you're gonna have a very hard time doing so, but have at it.
I will leave that task to you. You know very well what I'm referring to. It is the " cumulative " result of posts made over many months from this forum and the old forum. Your an expert on anal retentive minutia. Go knock yourself out, I'm not on this forum to prove anything to you. If you think I'm blowing smoke up your ass then prove me wrong. The ball is on your court here. I hope your trip to France was awesome.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:58 am

Delusional…
There is a line in the movie Rudy when he is talking to the priest inside the church. The priest tells him he knows 2 things for sure. He knows there is a God and he knows that it ain't him. That is about as far as my God complex goes.
I liked Spotlight better.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:49 am

Delusional…
From all I've read in the Bible, especially the words of Jesus, the standard is to point out sin when it is discovered. In this context it would be the monstrous abuse of children down through the years/decades/centuries? and the cover up that was enjoined by the leadership of the Catholic church. The leadership of the Catholic church never came clean to the world/public and admitted to their role in enabling and sheltering those who ruined the lives of so many children and by extension, their families, instead of disciplining them harshly and removing them from the priesthood. But the pointing out of sin is supposed to be done with humility keeping in mind that "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3.23. And Paul in another place also exhorts to both point out sin but do it in a spirit of humility.

Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted. Galatians 6.1

I believe the temptation referred to is to adopt a superior attitude, and also I think to fall into the very sin that is being corrected.

Just some thoughts.
AOD

Post by AOD »

I'm struggling to keep up c&s. First, you start with this:
Those mother effing catholics are the one group of religious folks that are mocked, ridiculed and insulted everyday on this forum that will always get a pass for whatever they say to insult catholics in this country.

Then you morph into this:
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:07 pm I'm referring to . . the " cumulative " result of posts made over many months from this forum and the old forum.
I've accepted your invitation to visit more frequently, and I still have not found a single instance where a Catholic has been mocked, ridiculed or insulted everyday. Moreover, your claim of cumulative result still yields no support for your charge. I even picked up the gauntlet you threw down and wended my way through the many posts that contain "Catholic", and I saw no proof for your claim. So, I ask again. Please help me better understand your post.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

AOD wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:38 am I'm struggling to keep up c&s. First, you start with this:
Those mother effing catholics are the one group of religious folks that are mocked, ridiculed and insulted everyday on this forum that will always get a pass for whatever they say to insult catholics in this country.

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:07 pm I'm referring to . . the " cumulative " result of posts made over many months from this forum and the old forum.
I've accepted your invitation to visit more frequently, and I still have not found a single instance where a Catholic has been mocked, ridiculed or insulted everyday. Moreover, your claim of cumulative result still yields no support for your charge. I even picked up the gauntlet you threw down and wended my way through the many posts that contain "Catholic", and I saw no proof for your claim. So, I ask again. Please help me better understand your post.
You would have to backtrack months and years even back to our old forum. It is the cumulative effect that has taken place over a long time. Too bad you have not posted on these forums for many years. You don't know what your missing. IDK but maybe a poster like JHU 72 can enlighten you more about the hatred for catholics. You can ask him and judge him by his response... :roll: He has nothing but respect and admiration for the catholic church. :D
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:35 am

Delusional…
From all I've read in the Bible, especially the words of Jesus, the standard is to point out sin when it is discovered. In this context it would be the monstrous abuse of children down through the years/decades/centuries? and the cover up that was enjoined by the leadership of the Catholic church. The leadership of the Catholic church never came clean to the world/public and admitted to their role in enabling and sheltering those who ruined the lives of so many children and by extension, their families, instead of disciplining them harshly and removing them from the priesthood. But the pointing out of sin is supposed to be done with humility keeping in mind that "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3.23. And Paul in another place also exhorts to both point out sin but do it in a spirit of humility.

Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted. Galatians 6.1

I believe the temptation referred to is to adopt a superior attitude, and also I think to fall into the very sin that is being corrected.

Just some thoughts.
I guess that is why Pope Francis is on his apology tour. I don't believe he brought along the Vatican checkbook with him.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:15 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:35 am

Delusional…

Just some thoughts.
I guess that is why Pope Francis is on his apology tour. I don't believe he brought along the Vatican checkbook with him.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlem ... buse_cases
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Delusional…
Mark Ruffalo sucks. Whiny and mopey
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Delusional…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:33 am

Delusional…
Wasn’t he in Dark Water?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:55 am
AOD wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:38 am I'm struggling to keep up c&s. First, you start with this:

You would have to backtrack months and years even back to our old forum. It is the cumulative effect that has taken place over a long time. Too bad you have not posted on these forums for many years. You don't know what your missing. IDK but maybe a poster like JHU 72 can enlighten you more about the hatred for catholics. You can ask him and judge him by his response... :roll: He has nothing but respect and admiration for the catholic church. :D
... you are delusional. :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”