Preseason Top 10

D1 Mens Lacrosse
keno in reno

Re: Preseason Top 10

Post by keno in reno »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:58 pm
keno in reno wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:52 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:13 pm Duke will start to play up to their potential.
Harvard will pass Yale in the Ivy pecking order.
OSU and Syracuse just outside the top 10.
So, Duke's potential the last 8 years has been national championships, no? There's no reason, again, why they can't do it next year, certainly not based on the recruiting rankings. But why is 2023 the year they start to play up to their potential? They've had the all-time generational recruit for the past 2 seasons, plus a multi-year all american, another national #1 recruit and numerous other superstars.

And not sure what pecking order means, but Harvard lacrosse isn't close to Yale lacrosse. Yale has a decade of proven greatness...Harvard beat one schizophrenic team last season and finished 8-5. That's a bad season by any good lacrosse program's standard's, and Yale's standard is much higher than good.
A decade of greatness is an exaggeration but I know what you mean. Harvard has to climb over Cornell, Penn, Brown and Princeton before overtaking Yale.
So that's your opinion that a decade where Ivy League team Yale wins a highly competitive national championship, while making the NCAA tournament 8 of the last 10 season, and it's an exaggeration of greatness.

That's cool, it's your opinion.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

keno in reno wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:21 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:13 pm Duke will start to play up to their potential.
So, Duke's potential the last 8 years has been national championships, no? There's no reason, again, why they can't do it next year, certainly not based on the recruiting rankings. But why is 2023 the year they start to play up to their potential? They've had the all-time generational recruit for the past 2 seasons, plus a multi-year all american, another national #1 recruit and numerous other superstars.

And not sure what pecking order means, but Harvard lacrosse isn't close to Yale lacrosse. Yale has a decade of proven greatness...Harvard beat one schizophrenic team last season and finished 8-5. That's a bad season by any good lacrosse program's standard's, and Yale's standard is much higher than good.
A decade of greatness is an exaggeration but I know what you mean. Harvard has to climb over Cornell, Penn, Brown and Princeton before overtaking Yale.
So that's your opinion that a decade where Ivy League team Yale wins a highly competitive national championship, while making the NCAA tournament 8 of the last 10 season, and it's an exaggeration of greatness.

I don’t use the term great that often that’s all. Most success over past 8 years for sure, when it comes to Ivy League. I reserve the term greatness for Maryland’s run…. Just my opinion. I should have said “I believe” but I thought it was understood that it was my opinion. You are entitled to yours. Can’t say your opinion is wrong. Different thresholds.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

That would make the Johns Hopkins era between 2006-2015 one of “greatness”. Blue Jays made 9 of 10 NCAA tournaments, 3 Final Fours, 2 national championship games, and won 1 national championship.

Not disagreeing with you, just sayin’.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:45 am

That would make the Johns Hopkins era between 2006-2015 one of “greatness”. Blue Jays made 9 of 10 NCAA tournaments, 3 Final Fours, 2 national championship games, and won 1 national championship.

Not disagreeing with you, just sayin’.

DocBarrister
Yale really broke through Nationally in 2017, when it comes to compete level, in my opinion.
“I wish you would!”
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Laxfanatic2022 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:26 pm 1. Georgetown
2. Cornell
3. Notre Dame
4. Maryland
5. Penn
6. UVA
7. Duke
8. Yale
9. Ohio State
10. Princeton

I wonder who the media polls will actually crown preseason #1... has to be up for debate between Georgetown, Cornell, Notre Dame. I think Maryland lost too much to claim them #1 but they are definitely top 5.
If Georgetown is number one Delaware has to be a top ten, they are losing one starter.
Last edited by xxxxxxx on Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

xxxxxxx wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:25 am
Laxfanatic2022 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:26 pm 1. Georgetown
2. Cornell
3. Notre Dame
4. Maryland
5. Penn
6. UVA
7. Duke
8. Yale
9. Ohio State
10. Princeton

I wonder who the media polls will actually crown preseason #1... has to be up for debate between Georgetown, Cornell, Notre Dame. I think Maryland lost too much to claim them #1 but they are definitely top 5.
If Georgetown in number one Delaware had to be a top ten, they are losing one starter.
That makes a lot more sense than Georgetown ranked #1. The list isn’t the result of any serious or informed analysis. Yes, Georgetown signed some nice transfers, but they are a pretender till they actually prove they aren’t. Anyway, This is a homer created list, for the most part, who have no idea who is returning for teams other than their own. They have Virginia ranked lower than they ended their injury riddled 2022. Yes, the fabulous Moore is gone(Virginia graduates AA players almost every year)but Virginia returns almost every other meaningful starter and rotational player. Then they add an AA midfield transfer and bring in the top rated 1st year class. Yes, that makes a lot of sense.
Laxfanatic2022

Post by Laxfanatic2022 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:47 pm Georgetown made some nice moves in the offseason bringing in Dordevic and several others, but they're also losing quite a bit: Watson, Trippi, Morin, Mazzone, Gibson Smith, and arguably the best goalie in the country in McElroy. All things considered I'd call that a wash. They were a better team than the first-round upset to Delaware suggested but I don't see anything to warrant a preseason #1 ranking. Top 10 certainly, top 5 maybe, but not #1.

Maryland was so far above everyone last year that I think they're still #1 headed into 2023 even with what they lose. They will be a MUCH more vulnerable #1 and won't go undefeated, but still I think the best team in the country. The defense, goalie, and FOGO situation is rock solid and they've still got plenty of talent on offense despite losing Wisnauskas et al. Combine that with their recent track record and the Tillman factor and I think they should remain #1 — albeit one that is not nearly as dominant. I'm not sure I'd pick them to win the title again in 2023, but that's a different conversation from who should begin the season ranked 1.

Cornell looks very good on paper, they return most key pieces except Piatelli. CJ Kirst is a future Tewaaraton candidate. They have to be top 5.

ND, Duke, and UVA will all be in the mix, I think it's a coin flip between each of them.

I remain perennially unconvinced by Penn. I would much rather be Princeton or Yale.

I do like what Ohio State has done in the offseason but losing Inacio hurts. Still probably my preseason #2 in the B1G.

Obligatory Hopkins comment — I really do think they will surprise this season, good energy around the program right now with the addition of Crawley as offensive coordinator along with some under-the-radar transfers and incoming freshman. Could be a make or break year for Milliman — I don't expect the world but I see them finishing as a ~top 15 bubble team.
This is a great point about Georgetown and makes me reconsider this decision hard. You are absolutely right. I can make legit cases for ND, UVA, and Cornell as preseason #1.
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

1. Notre Dame
2. Notre Dame
3. Notre Dame
4. UVA
5. Duke
6. NC
7. Syracuse

How’s that look Carc?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:47 pm Georgetown made some nice moves in the offseason bringing in Dordevic and several others, but they're also losing quite a bit: Watson, Trippi, Morin, Mazzone, Gibson Smith, and arguably the best goalie in the country in McElroy. All things considered I'd call that a wash. They were a better team than the first-round upset to Delaware suggested but I don't see anything to warrant a preseason #1 ranking. Top 10 certainly, top 5 maybe, but not #1.

Maryland was so far above everyone last year that I think they're still #1 headed into 2023 even with what they lose. They will be a MUCH more vulnerable #1 and won't go undefeated, but still I think the best team in the country. The defense, goalie, and FOGO situation is rock solid and they've still got plenty of talent on offense despite losing Wisnauskas et al. Combine that with their recent track record and the Tillman factor and I think they should remain #1 — albeit one that is not nearly as dominant. I'm not sure I'd pick them to win the title again in 2023, but that's a different conversation from who should begin the season ranked 1.

Cornell looks very good on paper, they return most key pieces except Piatelli. CJ Kirst is a future Tewaaraton candidate. They have to be top 5.

ND, Duke, and UVA will all be in the mix, I think it's a coin flip between each of them.

I remain perennially unconvinced by Penn. I would much rather be Princeton or Yale.

I do like what Ohio State has done in the offseason but losing Inacio hurts. Still probably my preseason #2 in the B1G.

Obligatory Hopkins comment — I really do think they will surprise this season, good energy around the program right now with the addition of Crawley as offensive coordinator along with some under-the-radar transfers and incoming freshman. Could be a make or break year for Milliman — I don't expect the world but I see them finishing as a ~top 15 bubble team.
I always oppose the “defending-national-champ-is-number-one-until-proven-otherwise” approach to preseason polls (which I realize you were NOT doing), but I think you’re correct about Maryland.

As much as I hate to admit it, Maryland has so much talent and such a good head coach that I think they deserve a preseason #1 ranking for 2023.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:21 pm

I always oppose the “defending-national-champ-is-number-one-until-proven-otherwise” approach to preseason polls (which I realize you were NOT doing), but I think you’re correct about Maryland.

As much as I hate to admit it, Maryland has so much talent and such a good head coach that I think they deserve a preseason #1 ranking for 2023.

DocBarrister :?
To predict with any accuracy, you have to gauge which starters are and aren't returning for each team. what impact players are coming through the portal. Hard to predict which freshman will be ready to make an impact, even if they start. It's easier to forecast impact from the portal with players who already have starred in D1. That being said, I have no idea which starters have run out of eligibility at Maryland, so can't make any reasonable guess, except they have an excellent coach and program. Glad to do the usual and seed them as #1 until they get beat.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Houndfan73 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:58 pm 1. Notre Dame
2. Notre Dame
3. Notre Dame
4. UVA
5. Duke
6. NC
7. Syracuse

How’s that look Carc?
even if the domers finish 1-3, it won't undo the damage in future years to teams getting dropped haphazardly.

if we go back to the old 1970's era hoops nc$$ tourney look, maybe we can move past all this.

the acc can grab a patsy from another conference, which it seems will make many happy. 2 birds with one stone. they better do it quick, tho, before the acc is a dodo.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:52 pm
2. Notre Dame
3. Notre Dame
4. UVA
5. Duke
6. NC
7. Syracuse

How’s that look Carc?
even if the domers finish 1-3, it won't undo the damage in future years to teams getting dropped haphazardly.

if we go back to the old 1970's era hoops nc$$ tourney look, maybe we can move past all this.

the acc can grab a patsy from another conference, which it seems will make many happy. 2 birds with one stone. they better do it quick, tho, before the acc is a dodo.
Notre Dame wuz robbed!! They beat Duke!!
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:53 pm
2. Notre Dame
3. Notre Dame
4. UVA
5. Duke
6. NC
7. Syracuse

How’s that look Carc?

twice!!!
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:07 pm
2. Notre Dame
3. Notre Dame
4. UVA
5. Duke
6. NC
7. Syracuse

How’s that look Carc?

twice!!!
Notre Dame wuz robbed!! They were better than one competitive school on its schedule!
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:09 pm
2. Notre Dame
3. Notre Dame
4. UVA
5. Duke
6. NC
7. Syracuse

How’s that look Carc?

twice!!!
Notre Dame wuz robbed!! They were better than one competitive school on its schedule!
u may have missed the part where that gets you better than a six seed now.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:12 pm
2. Notre Dame
3. Notre Dame
4. UVA
5. Duke
6. NC
7. Syracuse

How’s that look Carc?

twice!!!
I didn’t miss the part about beating good teams on your schedule, other than one school.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:19 pm
2. Notre Dame
3. Notre Dame
4. UVA
5. Duke
6. NC
7. Syracuse

How’s that look Carc?

twice!!!
I didn’t miss the part about beating good teams on your schedule, other than one school.
the funny thing is, had they lost to them once, they'd be in, likely. what a system!!!

me: "georgetown was hosed twice (once for notre dame).
cornell was hosed. et.al.
notre dame was royally hosed.
other teams will now be hosed, maybe royally."

you: "wait, i can dunk on notre dame, et. al.??? lfg!!!"
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

2. Notre Dame
3. Notre Dame
4. UVA
5. Duke
6. NC
7. Syracuse

How’s that look Carc?

twice!!!
r
what's humorous in all the anti Notre Dame posts( and I despise the Domers) is are there any Notre Dame Lax fans even on this thread?? The Big 10 crowd are generally supportive of each other, but there is only one Goliath in that conference. then everyone else. The ACC schools are somewhat similar and recruit mostly against each other, but there is no love lost amongst those rival fans. I will admit that I like Breschi because I think he does less with more and hope UNC keeps him forever.
Typical Lax Dad

blue angels wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:34 pm
2. Notre Dame
3. Notre Dame
4. UVA
5. Duke
6. NC
7. Syracuse

How’s that look Carc?

twice!!!
r
what's humorous in all the anti Notre Dame posts( and I despise the Domers) is are there any Notre Dame Lax fans even on this thread?? The Big 10 crowd are generally supportive of each other, but there is only one Goliath in that conference. then everyone else. The ACC schools are somewhat similar and recruit mostly against each other, but there is no love lost amongst those rival fans. I will admit that I like Breschi because I think he does less with more and hope UNC keeps him forever.
My buddy hired a former ND player…..He told me that the player felt they didn’t do enough to get in. The “internet” is more upset about it.
“I wish you would!”
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

I probably wasn’t clear, but I was really looking at the 2023 season versus 2022. After all, we’re talking preseason predictions of the year to come, not a comparison of programs. So from that perspective Duke obviously underperformed in 2022. And I believe Danowski will right the ship in 2023. Same context for the “pecking order” comment; Yale has been the most successful Ivy program the last seven years or so, but I believe Harvard has a chance to be better than them in 2023, with that great young core of theirs.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”