Religion in America

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Religion in America

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:34 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:40 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:32 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:52 pm We need prayer in schools and the State should pay for kids that want to attend parochial schools.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/24/us/white ... index.html
Since it’s free, i don’t see why.

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof”
You forgot to mention that those words were composed long before the advent of public schools.
Seeing more and more stories like this, and TLD seems to be gullible enough to be falling for it. The goal is to squash Christianity, by any means necessary, one article and person at a time. Notice the last five words of the article title.....you think that was unintentional, I do not. Then the first paragraph puts the icing on the cake.

An ‘imposter Christianity’ is threatening American democracy
If you think Jesus would be storming the Capitol, killing and injuring cops, claiming white people are the superior race, all in support Donald Trump of all people, then I have no clue what kind of eff'd up Christianity you support. :lol:

Christianity is not being squashed, and if you think so then you're the one being duped. It's reasonable to ask public teachers and politicians to stop forcing their messed up version of Christianity or whatever religion on Americans at large. Just leave people alone.
Good Christian folk according to Youth: https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3528 ... g-him/amp/
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:40 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:52 pm We need prayer in schools and the State should pay for kids that want to attend parochial schools.

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof”
You forgot to mention that those words were composed long before the advent of public schools.
Seeing more and more stories like this, and TLD seems to be gullible enough to be falling for it. The goal is to squash Christianity, by any means necessary, one article and person at a time. Notice the last five words of the article title.....you think that was unintentional, I do not. Then the first paragraph puts the icing on the cake.

An ‘imposter Christianity’ is threatening American democracy
If you think Jesus would be storming the Capitol, killing and injuring cops, claiming white people are the superior race, all in support Donald Trump of all people, then I have no clue what kind of eff'd up Christianity you support. :lol:

Christianity is not being squashed, and if you think so then you're the one being duped. It's reasonable to ask public teachers and politicians to stop forcing their messed up version of Christianity or whatever religion on Americans at large. Just leave people alone.
I do remember Jesus having a bit of a hissy fit when he threw the money changers out of his fathers temple. Even Jesus had a limit as to what he would tolerate before losing his cool.

My house shall be a temple of prayer.. you have made it a den of thieves... It sounds like Jesus was speaking about both parties?
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad no wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:52 pm We need prayer in schools and the State should pay for kids that want to attend parochial schools.

You forgot to mention that those words were composed long before the advent of public schools. Why would you on purpose, forget to mention all of the pertinent facts?? :)
What do you mean by “public”? Funded by a government levy? Open to all?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:15 pm

I do remember Jesus having a bit of a hissy fit when he threw the money changers out of his fathers temple. Even Jesus had a limit as to what he would tolerate before losing his cool.

My house shall be a temple of prayer.. you have made it a den of thieves... It sounds like Jesus was speaking about both parties?
Both parties my a$$, he'd be whipping these insurrectionist White Christian Nationalists from his temples they're defiling. You know, the kind of people who literally created a golden idol of the guy they worship?

Not so much whipping the Lutherans or the Episcopalians...
Typical Lax Dad

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:28 pm

Both parties my a$$, he'd be whipping these insurrectionist White Christian Nationalists from his temples they're defiling. You know, the kind of people who literally created a golden idol of the guy they worship?

https://opuszine.us/posts/becoming-here ... nald-trump

“We’re way, way past concerns for the church’s “public witness.” We’re way past concerns over whether the “reputation” of the church will survive this wave of insanity. There is no other way to say this. A significant movement of American Christians — encouraged by the president himself — is now directly threatening the rule of law, the Constitution, and the peace and unity of the American republic.”

Obama started all of this.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/06/02/au ... d-america/

America opposes idolatry. Not just the act of idolatry but the very idea that idols have power. That is why its laws—unlike those of many other nations—do not criminalize the burning of holy books or the destruction of sacred images. Its citizens do not worship pictures of leaders. The power of words and images in the United States is in the values they represent, not the objects themselves. Even the perpetual attempts to criminalize flag-burning consistently—and rightly—fail.

Just as destroying these objects has no magic power, neither does holding them up. Only idolaters believe that waving a flag makes you a patriot or wearing a cross makes you a Christian. As the singer John Prine, who died of COVID-19 in April, put it: “Your flag decal won’t get you into heaven.”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:47 pm The power of words and images in the United States is in the values they represent, not the objects themselves. Even the perpetual attempts to criminalize flag-burning consistently—and rightly—fail.

Just as destroying these objects has no magic power, neither does holding them up. Only idolaters believe that waving a flag makes you a patriot or wearing a cross makes you a Christian. As the singer John Prine, who died of COVID-19 in April, put it: “Your flag decal won’t get you into heaven.”
I've never understood this----the American right claims that they HATE the large centralized government that is the US of A. DC is a swamp, and all that.

And yet they're the group that worships the flag that represents the centralized government that they hate.

I've never met someone who could explain how that works in their minds.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:47 pm

“We’re way, way past concerns for the church’s “public witness.” We’re way past concerns over whether the “reputation” of the church will survive this wave of insanity. There is no other way to say this. A significant movement of American Christians — encouraged by the president himself — is now directly threatening the rule of law, the Constitution, and the peace and unity of the American republic.”

America opposes idolatry. Not just the act of idolatry but the very idea that idols have power. That is why its laws—unlike those of many other nations—do not criminalize the burning of holy books or the destruction of sacred images. Its citizens do not worship pictures of leaders. The power of words and images in the United States is in the values they represent, not the objects themselves. Even the perpetual attempts to criminalize flag-burning consistently—and rightly—fail.

Does your theory also apply to radical Muslims who blow themselves up in the name of Allah? They don't wave flags, they just do what their faith tells them to do..
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:00 pm

Does your theory also apply to radical Muslims who blow themselves up in the name of Allah? They don't wave flags, they just do what their faith tells them to do..
Yes it does. I have quite a few Muslim friends…..matter of fact heard from a life long friend just this morning…You should ask
your’s what they think of radical Jihadists.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:04 pm

Yes it does. I have quite a few Muslim friends…..matter of fact heard from a life long friend just this morning…You should ask
I don't have any close friends who are Muslims. There is a family that lives across the street from me that are Muslims. I talk with their kids all the time. They ride their bikes all over my yard and up and down my driveway. I don't think they are radical Jihadists. I don't think the Christian kids are any different.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:35 pm

I don't have any close friends who are Muslims. There is a family that lives across the street from me that are Muslims. I talk with their kids all the time. They ride their bikes all over my yard and up and down my driveway. I don't think they are radical Jihadists. I don't think the Christian kids are any different.
Who said they were? Like I said, I have plenty of Muslim friends…as well as Hindu and Sikh.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:38 pm

Who said they were? Like I said, I have plenty of Muslim friends…as well as Hindu and Sikh.
Good for you. The opinion of many folks on this forum is decidedly anti Christian with a special hatred for those mother effing catholics. Those mother effing catholics are the one group of religious folks that are mocked, ridiculed and insulted everyday on this forum that will always get a pass for whatever they say to insult catholics in this country. Funny why that is. :roll: I don't know any catholics that have ever blown themselves up to become a martyr. As a matter of fact, suicide is one of the biggest insults to catholic faith. Taking your own life prevents you from going to heaven if your a devout catholic.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Happy I could give TLD aka PizzaSnake aka NattyBoh something to chat about amongst himself. ;) :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:07 pm

Good for you. The opinion of many folks on this forum is decidedly anti Christian with a special hatred for those mother effing catholics. Those mother effing catholics are the one group of religious folks that are mocked, ridiculed and insulted everyday on this forum that will always get a pass for whatever they say to insult catholics in this country. Funny why that is. :roll: I don't know any catholics that have ever blown themselves up to become a martyr. As a matter of fact, suicide is one of the biggest insults to catholic faith. Taking your own life prevents you from going to heaven if your a devout catholic.
“The most interesting thing, though, is that suicide was not always regarded as an unforgivable sin in the Church. The theological groundwork for that idea was laid by Augustine in his City of God. What’s most interesting is that when Augustine’s magum opus was set against the backdrop of the Sack of Rome during the German Visigoth invasion of 410 CE, numerous Roman Christian women were raped. In his effort to console them, Augustine wrote that they were not defiled because they had not assented to the violation. And, thus, they remained chaste. This brought him to the case of Rome’s most famous pagan rape victim: Lucretia. After her rape Lucretia had taken her own life. Augustine’s response was to develop the notion that by committing suicide Lucretia had committed a greater sin, a sin against God.

This was a central turning point in the history of Christian thought about all kinds of things: rape, volition, the relationship between the mind and the body, and, of course, suicide. But before Augustine decried suicide as a sin most Romans considered it a respectable way to exit the mortal coil. And many Christians were hailed as martyrs for deaths that we today might call suicide.”

I guess things change.
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:38 pm Happy I could give TLD aka PizzaSnake aka NattyBoh something to chat about amongst himself. ;) :lol:
Thanks Dithers. :lol: :lol: ;)

EDIT! Dithering Flanders.. ;) :lol:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:40 pm

“The most interesting thing, though, is that suicide was not always regarded as an unforgivable sin in the Church. The theological groundwork for that idea was laid by Augustine in his City of God. What’s most interesting is that when Augustine’s magum opus was set against the backdrop of the Sack of Rome during the German Visigoth invasion of 410 CE, numerous Roman Christian women were raped. In his effort to console them, Augustine wrote that they were not defiled because they had not assented to the violation. And, thus, they remained chaste. This brought him to the case of Rome’s most famous pagan rape victim: Lucretia. After her rape Lucretia had taken her own life. Augustine’s response was to develop the notion that by committing suicide Lucretia had committed a greater sin, a sin against God.

This was a central turning point in the history of Christian thought about all kinds of things: rape, volition, the relationship between the mind and the body, and, of course, suicide. But before Augustine decried suicide as a sin most Romans considered it a respectable way to exit the mortal coil. And many Christians were hailed as martyrs for deaths that we today might call suicide.”

I guess things change.
I’ve been familiar w City or God for a long time but lately the more I think about it I wonder if it’s the equivalent of “hey it ain’t gay in prison” effectively
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
AOD

Post by AOD »

Although I don't read this forum everyday, I really can't agree with this opinion c&s. I realize it's fashionable in the catholic church to allege persecution as a reason boldly to proclaim faith, especially with regard to certain political issues. But, I don't see hatred for Catholics here.

What I do see in my community unfortunately is a propensity among Catholics to hold others in judgment, especially other Catholics. At times it feels the as though Pharisees have visited the 21st century. In fact, the faith has developed a schism that has emboldened some ranking bishops to reject outright the statements of the Pope. I feel this in part is responsible for the attrition the church continues to experience and I fear it won't be possible to bring this group together again.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

AOD wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:30 am
Although I don't read this forum everyday, I really can't agree with this opinion c&s. I realize it's fashionable in the catholic church to allege persecution as a reason boldly to proclaim faith, especially with regard to certain political issues. But, I don't see hatred for Catholics here.

What I do see in my community unfortunately is a propensity among Catholics to hold others in judgment, especially other Catholics. At times it feels the as though Pharisees have visited the 21st century. In fact, the faith has developed a schism that has emboldened some ranking bishops to reject outright the statements of the Pope. I feel this in part is responsible for the attrition the church continues to experience and I fear it won't be possible to bring this group together again.
I would respectfully suggest you visit this forum more often. There is a decided anti catholic hatred among more than a few posters. It is not like they try and hide their contempt for catholics and the catholic church. On this forum there is an open season on any and all things catholic. The catholic church is the one organization you can mock and ridicule to your hearts content and no one on this forum will judge you for doing so.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:41 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:38 pm Happy I could give TLD aka PizzaSnake aka NattyBoh something to chat about amongst himself. ;) :lol:

Funny that you're supposed to be me or I'm supposed to be you. Guess that fits in with YA's worldview. Literal groupthink?

No way we could be different people on a message board of 4,000+ members.

Since you're me, could you tell me how many college teams I (I guess we) coached? :D
Typical Lax Dad

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:23 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:41 pm

Funny that you're supposed to be me or I'm supposed to be you. Guess that fits in with YA's worldview. Literal groupthink?

No way we could be different people on a message board of 4,000+ members.

Since you're me, could you tell me how many college teams I (I guess we) coached? :D
I have no idea why an adult would pretend to be someone else. Must be the circle YA rolls with.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:51 am
AOD wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:30 am

I would respectfully suggest you visit this forum more often. There is a decided anti catholic hatred among more than a few posters. It is not like they try and hide their contempt for catholics and the catholic church. On this forum there is an open season on any and all things catholic. The catholic church is the one organization you can mock and ridicule to your hearts content and no one on this forum will judge you for doing so.
There may be a couple of posters who actually feel the way you describe, but I think it's more about the ire at the Catholic Church's cover-up of its history of sexual issues than anything else. Sure, the abortion stance, former contraception stance, etc bother folks, but I think it's mostly the pedophilia cover-up.

But not so much at "Catholics" as a generality, as there's quite a schism amongst Catholics, and most fair observers understand this to be the case.

But those who are the most "fundamentalist" among Catholics, also seem to be those most compliant with the hierarchy, which definitely has been corrupted on the pedophilia issue. And these folks are also most judgmental about the choices of others. Being judged by others is always going to rankle...

It's really not a surprise to find this issues paralleled with many of the most fundamentalist evangelical groups.

Return to “POLITICS”