Dartmouth Men's Lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Dartjd76

Re: Dartmouth Men's Lacrosse

Post by Dartjd76 »

Atticus wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:26 am Dartjd - your post is a head scratcher. You are a lax alum and you live in town, yet, before you come to your conclusion that the coaches are what is “fundamentally wrong” and don’t “coach up” their young players, you ask ANOTHER poster (who appears to live down in the Mid atlantic) his opinion about these purportedly uncoached players? Don’t you go to the games in support of your program? Are you involved with the program living so close? When you speak of scoring machines’ degrading skills over time, are you referring to the BC era?
Okay, so everything is fine with the program? Rather than nit pick my comments, participation, etc. which you know NOTHING about, how do you explain why men's lacrosse is a perennial doormat while other DC teams are either contenders or at least respectable? The record doesn't lie. What is the root cause of this long term losing streak? I think the players work hard, very hard. So I look for the answer elsewhere.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Dartjd76 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:00 am [quote=Atticus post_id=38875 time=<a href="tel:1554560771">1554560771</a> user_id=994]
Dartjd - your post is a head scratcher. You are a lax alum and you live in town, yet, before you come to your conclusion that the coaches are what is “fundamentally wrong” and don’t “coach up” their young players, you ask ANOTHER poster (who appears to live down in the Mid atlantic) his opinion about these purportedly uncoached players? Don’t you go to the games in support of your program? Are you involved with the program living so close? When you speak of scoring machines’ degrading skills over time, are you referring to the BC era?
Okay, so everything is fine with the program? Rather than nit pick my comments, participation, etc. which you know NOTHING about, how do you explain why men's lacrosse is a perennial doormat while other DC teams are either contenders or at least respectable? The record doesn't lie. What is the root cause of this long term losing streak? I think the players work hard, very hard. So I look for the answer elsewhere.
[/quote]
No revelation - Dartmouth is not winning... but, purely from an Athletic standpoint, they are hardly doormats (w size and aggressive play)... give this team some credit - not quitting at any point, of any game, so far, this season (not an easy task when you have only 2 wins and face top 20 ranked teams)...
calourie

Post by calourie »

More often than not coaching does seem to be the difference maker in college athletics. The question becomes how to evaluate the direction a coaching choice establishes. Different schools have different issues regarding this matter, including, and I would be inclined to say especially among the Ivies. When Tierney took over a dormant, but historically proud Princeton's program they were an Ivy doormat and remained so for a couple of years before rocketing to the top of D1 lacrosse. When Shay assumed the mantle at Yale he inherited a middle of the road, somewhat stagnant, historically only occasionally well regarded program from Valdvogel. Under Andy's leadership the program appeared to regress for six years before finally taking off and becoming the force it currently is. I wasn't a member of Laxpower during Shay's early years but I would imagine there was very little chatter on the Yale thread at the time if there even was one, and probably not a ton of discussion as to whether or not Shay should be retained. This is to say that unlike the recent Dartmouth threads on Laxpower and now Fanlax there never were a lot of long time commenters on the fortunes of Yale lacrosse until their spate of recent success. So Dartmouth apparently has a larger base of concerned long term commenters trying to evaluate the direction of the current coach and staff whose recent track record has actually underperformed Shay's unremarkable first few years.

That being the background, the questions I woud ask are: are the players reasonably happy with the coach, is the product on the field becoming better, and does the recruiting appear to be improving? I've watched probably 3 games worth of Dartmouth lacrosse this year, and I would say that this year's team plays a significantly better brand of lax than the previous few. I think the new rules and faster play have inflated some score differentials, but overall I find the Big Green a considerably more fun team to watch. It does look like there is a need to land a few more top level recruits to turn the corner, and I can't begin to speak to the mindset of the players as regards their feelings towards the coach and staff, so I will leave off having contributed my two cents to the question of where to go from here. I am a big fan of all things Ivy in terms of athletics, particularly lacrosse, and would like nothing more than to see the Dartmouth program return to the higher levels of success it has managed in the past.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Before I ask the big question let me say that I am not a Dartmouth hater. I owned a home in New London, NH for 20 years and know the area well. My brother-in-law is a Dartmouth alum. I think Hanover is one of the best towns I know. The Dartmouth campus is one of the finest I have seen. I would love to see your lacrosse team succeed. That said, why would an elite HS lacrosse player choose Dartmouth over any other Ivy given the remote location and the brutal winters? What is the nearest city? Boston! Consider your motto "vox clamantis in deserto".
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Drcthru wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:09 pm Before I ask the big question let me say that I am not a Dartmouth hater. I owned a home in New London, NH for 20 years and know the area well. My brother-in-law is a Dartmouth alum. I think Hanover is one of the best towns I know. The Dartmouth campus is one of the finest I have seen. I would love to see your lacrosse team succeed. That said, why would an elite HS lacrosse player choose Dartmouth over any other Ivy given the remote location and the brutal winters? What is the nearest city? Boston! Consider your motto "vox clamantis in deserto".
so YOU'RE the guy that almost ran me over on Sunapee :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Why is living in, or near, a city a positive? Watching the recorded game where Cole Williams flopped into the crease, getting a phantom "push" call.....had to laugh at the multiple sirens heard throughout the game. Every game, in fact, at Homewood. A hospital near by?

Probably, a Dartmouth player, could go four years and never hear one siren during a game or practice. But, to answer your question, Montreal is three plus hours away. One more hour than Boston. Drinking age , in civilized countries, is 18. Canada is civilized. If Hanover is nice, the campus is nice, what benefit is there to being in a city? Internships?

Someone mentioned having Natives attend Dartmouth. Because they have a Native American program. Does the coach just ignore this population?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjSwetwQhxs

"When did the Indians start playing lacrosse anyway?" Dartmouth has only themselves to blame. They sure do get those Coventry type kids, only not as skilled ;)
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

That was Little Lake Sunapee and I would have run you over again but, I ran out of gas.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:29 pm
Drcthru wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:09 pm Before I ask the big question let me say that I am not a Dartmouth hater. I owned a home in New London, NH for 20 years and know the area well. My brother-in-law is a Dartmouth alum. I think Hanover is one of the best towns I know. The Dartmouth campus is one of the finest I have seen. I would love to see your lacrosse team succeed. That said, why would an elite HS lacrosse player choose Dartmouth over any other Ivy given the remote location and the brutal winters? What is the nearest city? Boston! Consider your motto "vox clamantis in deserto".

Why is living in, or near, a city a positive? Watching the recorded game where Cole Williams flopped into the crease, getting a phantom "push" call.....had to laugh at the multiple sirens heard throughout the game. Every game, in fact, at Homewood. A hospital near by?

Probably, a Dartmouth player, could go four years and never hear one siren during a game or practice. But, to answer your question, Montreal is three plus hours away. One more hour than Boston. Drinking age , in civilized countries, is 18. Canada is civilized. If Hanover is nice, the campus is nice, what benefit is there to being in a city? Internships?

Someone mentioned having Natives attend Dartmouth. Because they have a Native American program. Does the coach just ignore this population?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjSwetwQhxs

"When did the Indians start playing lacrosse anyway?" Dartmouth has only themselves to blame. They sure do get those Coventry type kids, only not as skilled ;)
MedStar Union Memorial Hospital is two blocks from Homewood. What benefit of a city? Women, or have you forgotten?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Drcthru wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:43 pm

MedStar Union Memorial Hospital is two blocks from Homewood. What benefit of a city? Women, or have you forgotten?
I meant to put a winky after the hospital question. Not into women these days. Nothing better than spending all day on the golf course with men, then all nite too. Playing things.

But, last I checked, you didn't have to EVAH leave campus, or College Park, to find woman. Same for most campuses.

BTW, what was the sister college of same sex, all male review Dartmouth back in the day? Colby Sawyer? Or Green Mountain College?
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Dartmouth is coed today. [Joke deleted] :roll:
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:56 pm
Drcthru wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:43 pm

I meant to put a winky after the hospital question. Not into women these days. Nothing better than spending all day on the golf course with men, then all nite too. Playing things.

But, last I checked, you didn't have to EVAH leave campus, or College Park, to find woman. Same for most campuses.

BTW, what was the sister college of same sex, all male review Dartmouth back in the day? Colby Sawyer? Or Green Mountain College?
Colby Sawyer is coed now. I love f''ing with you! Keep it up. :lol:

s
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

I would blame the parents. How many parents from Long Island or MD want to drive ALL the way up to NH for a game. Truth be told, do parent need to be at every game?? Even visiting the college for a swing through is out of the way. How's the financial aid? Despite what everyone thinks about lacrosse families, financial aid can still be a huge factor in school selection.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tweeet! Referee says, Ugly girl jokes. Fat girl jokes (which wasn't said but just citing another example). Both unsportsman-like conduct. Just a heads-up/warning. Tweeeet! Play on...
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

seriously? wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:42 pm I would blame the parents. How many parents from Long Island or MD want to drive ALL the way up to NH for a game. Truth be told, do parent need to be at every game?? Even visiting the college for a swing through is out of the way. How's the financial aid? Despite what everyone thinks about lacrosse families, financial aid can still be a huge factor in school selection.
Same drive time from LI to Dartmouth as it is to the Maryland Beltways, and you know it. The college colors are green, right? Maybe they should recruit better and NOT listen to certain clubs. Just saying. Kinda like Michigan, mostly, they are leaving the best beers in the fridge. Heck, willing to bet the U of New Hampshire club team could beat them.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:30 pm
b1w7o9y7h wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:30 pm Well, apparently the lacrosse season has started without me. Like Rip Van Winkle, I have awoken from my long slumber, rusty and bearded. And, it appears not a whole heck of a lot has changed.

Should be able to see today's tilt in New Haven on ESPN+. I'm almost afraid to click on the stream, lest it get fugly fast. But I will have some faith and hope the Big Green will comport themselves nicely, and show improvement.

On a side note, found a stash of old photos. My sister took some great 35mm shots back in the day - many in black and white. This one particular one is after a game with Dud sitting on the bench with an attackman and a defenseman, and Dud's in the process of falling backwards off the bench after being nudged "gently but purposefully" off his perch. He's grabbing at straws as gravity grabs at him. Cripes...1982. Big smiles all around!
Share!
Here ya go!

L-r: Mac Jackson (Defense - Deerfield, like myself), Steve Leitman (Crease attack - Baltimore boy), Dud (falling!)
Spring1983.jpg
Spring1983.jpg (142.08 KiB) Viewed 3183 times
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:53 pm
b1w7o9y7h wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:30 pm Well, apparently the lacrosse season has started without me. Like Rip Van Winkle, I have awoken from my long slumber, rusty and bearded. And, it appears not a whole heck of a lot has changed.

Should be able to see today's tilt in New Haven on ESPN+. I'm almost afraid to click on the stream, lest it get fugly fast. But I will have some faith and hope the Big Green will comport themselves nicely, and show improvement.

On a side note, found a stash of old photos. My sister took some great 35mm shots back in the day - many in black and white. This one particular one is after a game with Dud sitting on the bench with an attackman and a defenseman, and Dud's in the process of falling backwards off the bench after being nudged "gently but purposefully" off his perch. He's grabbing at straws as gravity grabs at him. Cripes...1982. Big smiles all around!
Share!
Here ya go!

L-r: Mac Jackson (Defense - Deerfield, like myself), Steve Leitman (Crease attack - Baltimore boy), Dud (falling!)

Spring1983.jpg
I don't know any of those guys but that photo made my day. Thanks for posting it....PS... is that Michael Phelps in the background? :D
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Drcthru wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:33 pm That was Little Lake Sunapee and I would have run you over again but, I ran out of gas.
:lol:
We need a clap emoji.

I'm a Squam Lake guy, but Sunapee is great.

That said, I agree with rrr, cities are not for everyone. I sure as heck wanted nothing to do with being in a city during college.

When I came up for a winter recruiting weekend from Baltimore, I couldn't believe any school could be so beautiful, or any school where so many people said hello as you crossed the Green.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:00 am
seriously? wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:42 pm I would blame the parents. How many parents from Long Island or MD want to drive ALL the way up to NH for a game. Truth be told, do parent need to be at every game?? Even visiting the college for a swing through is out of the way. How's the financial aid? Despite what everyone thinks about lacrosse families, financial aid can still be a huge factor in school selection.
Same drive time from LI to Dartmouth as it is to the Maryland Beltways, and you know it. The college colors are green, right? Maybe they should recruit better and NOT listen to certain clubs. Just saying. Kinda like Michigan, mostly, they are leaving the best beers in the fridge. Heck, willing to bet the U of New Hampshire club team could beat them.
Now that's over the line.
We're playing much improved ball, but can't seem to win FO's.

But I agree re drive time for an Island or Upstate kid, much less Conn or Mass.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Drcthru wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:07 pm Dartmouth is coed today. [Joke deleted] :roll:
As a guy who married the gal he met Freshman Week at Dartmouth, married now nearly 39 years, the abundance of women on campus may have been an issue in ye olden times but for at least the last 3 decades women have outnumbered the men.

In our day, there was some weird dynamic of not dating a Dartmouth woman (this was shortly after coeducation and still 3:1) but I didn't get the memo. All I knew was that the gals were pretty awesome.

Mine, 5'11" brunette, Junior Miss of Massachusetts, valedictorian, athlete, musician, put herself through school...Summa, founder of 2nd sorority KKG, HBS, Bain...the question was only how did I get so lucky? Still trying to find that answer.

But by the time we graduated the ratio was nearing 50:50 and the dating scene had near normalized.

And from casual observation, there's a plethora of opportunity to find someone these days. Unless you're a total troll, and even then there's probably a match.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:20 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:00 am
Now that's over the line.
We're playing much improved ball, but can't seem to win FO's.

But I agree re drive time for an Island or Upstate kid, much less Conn or Mass.
Over the line? You evah seen UNH play? Seriously, have you?

Goalie wants to major in marine bio, any Div. I lacrosse playing colleges have that major? Ohio State? Dartmouth? Harvard? Maryland? exactly
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:53 pm

Share!
Here ya go!

Spring1983.jpg
Great pic! Certainly captures Dud.
I don't think I ever got to know Mac, but Leits yes. And his classmate Jenkins Marshall. Great guys.
Steve was from St. Pauls and Jenkins from my alma mater, Gilman.

I had a couple of alumni games when they put a bunch past me! :)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”