Big Ten 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Big Ten 2023

Post by Wheels »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:49 am Maryland too.
I've been enjoying the fact that Maryland's departure from the ACC is what triggered a series of really bad decisions by ACC members. Recall that before Maryland left, the ACC had announced new "permanent" rivals across their Frankenstein conference. They paired Maryland with Pitt as a permanent rival. For decades, Maryland had complained about how excluded they were in the ACC decision making processes. Gary Williams used to joke about Maryland being the northern outpost of the ACC like it was The Wall in Game of Thrones.

When Maryland left for the B1G, the ACC trashed Maryland. Said that the addition of Louisville to replace Maryland would add more than Maryland ever brought. Coach K said he'd never schedule Maryland again and wouldn't allow MD-Duke in the ACC-B1G Challenge to occur. As far as I know, Maryland and Duke haven't played in a regular season game in any sport since Maryland left the ACC.

Then the ACC signed their new TV deal with ESPN (through 2036), and the ACC included the Grant of Rights deal to make sure that another Maryland situation wouldn't occur.

Now that GoR deal is the shackle that will be the demise of all of the ACC members. All because the ACC didn't want another team to bolt like Maryland did. Poverty conference.

I love it.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/D ... ights.aspx

With UCLA and USC settled Clemson probably becomes. After ND, the second most valuable FB property.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

It has been a long time, but I remember a time when USC fans absolutely did not want Clemson in the SEC.
Of course, they may have millions of reasons to change their minds.

In terms of rivalry games, I think landing The Big Game would be a coup for the B1G. Cal fits the model of the typical B1G university. I assume Stanford would be willing to go as well.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

It'd be pretty cool to play the B1G lacrosse tournaments in the Rose Bowl. Just have to stage it at least 2 weeks before NCAA's so there's time to recover from the travel.
LongIslandLacks

Post by LongIslandLacks »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:26 pm It'd be pretty cool to play the B1G lacrosse tournaments in the Rose Bowl. Just have to stage it at least 2 weeks before NCAA's so there's time to recover from the travel.
That would be terrible. Suck the life out of it atmosphere when a stadium is 10-15% full.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:26 pm It'd be pretty cool to play the B1G lacrosse tournaments in the Rose Bowl. Just have to stage it at least 2 weeks before NCAA's so there's time to recover from the travel.
I can already see the steam coming out of Tillmans ears when that gets suggested in a B1G meeting.
LongIslandLacks

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:45 am
I can already see the steam coming out of Tillmans ears when that gets suggested in a B1G meeting.
Tillman normally does not attend the women’s lax conference meetings. 😂
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:45 am
Tillman has played several games in CA. This past season Maryland and ND were trying to have their game in Ca but it didn’t work out.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Apologize for the cross-post: https://stratechery.com/2022/big-ten-blame/
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Would think the women would go D1 before the mens
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Wheels wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:51 pm I've been enjoying the fact that Maryland's departure from the ACC is what triggered a series of really bad decisions by ACC members.
Yeah I've been enjoying this as well as a Terps fan. The smugness of the ACC just blew right up in its face.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

PulpExposure wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:18 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:51 pm I've been enjoying the fact that Maryland's departure from the ACC is what triggered a series of really bad decisions by ACC members.
Yeah I've been enjoying this as well as a Terps fan. The smugness of the ACC just blew right up in its face.
We'll still have to listen to the hype about ACC POWERS!!! playing on the ACCN in the spring, but...meh...gimme those sweet B1G bucks that will rain down on B1G programs. I'm sure every B1G coach would love to have the ESPN hype machine behind them for recruiting purposes, but something tells me they'd prefer expanded budgets, which will happen.

Post by 1766 »

I know there was some consternation amongst older Maryland fans, but even they have to be thanking their lucky stars at this point that they are in the most stable conference there is.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

1766 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:20 pm
I know there was some consternation amongst older Maryland fans, but even they have to be thanking their lucky stars at this point that they are in the most stable conference there is.
It's funny now because even the older fans are like "yay! B1G!" now. But in a funny twist, those same older MD fans for some reason think that the B1G will look to expand by taking UNC, UVA, and Duke if the B1G takes ND. They're still jonesing for those basketball match ups that don't really matter in a football-driven expansion process. Listening to them talking themselves into the value that Duke would add is really funny.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

I was one of those fans who did not like the Big Change. Living on basketball memories, ACC tournaments from Greensboro and the best basketball in the country. However, all those friendly, knowledgeable basketball fans in Greensboro were smug because it would be there again next year. Maryland was always the step child to North Carolina schools. Now I am so glad the move saved their ass from the demise of the ACC. Honestly thought lacrosse would remain but with little interest from other Big Universities. This has been sooo great! Changes are moving quickly.
LongIslandLacks

Wheels wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:49 pm
1766 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:20 pm
It's funny now because even the older fans are like "yay! B1G!" now. But in a funny twist, those same older MD fans for some reason think that the B1G will look to expand by taking UNC, UVA, and Duke if the B1G takes ND. They're still jonesing for those basketball match ups that don't really matter in a football-driven expansion process. Listening to them talking themselves into the value that Duke would add is really funny.
Duke will end up the biggest loser under any scenario. Coach K’s retirement leaves them vulnerable and heading towards inevitable decline in basketball. No one will replicate his success. That coupled with the fact that their football program is awful means they are destined for mediocrity.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

MDralphie wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:06 pm I was one of those fans who did not like the Big Change. Living on basketball memories, ACC tournaments from Greensboro and the best basketball in the country. However, all those friendly, knowledgeable basketball fans in Greensboro were smug because it would be there again next year. Maryland was always the step child to North Carolina schools. Now I am so glad the move saved their ass from the demise of the ACC. Honestly thought lacrosse would remain but with little interest from other Big Universities. This has been sooo great! Changes are moving quickly.
That's exactly where I once was - sad to leave this basketball conference for the Big10 so we could get reamed in football every year. But it was also clear that while Maryland was a good ACC member, it was always a step sister to the NC schools in the ACC, so it's not like we were leaving a conference that cared deeply about Maryland.

It's been the right call. Credit has to go to Kevin Anderson for that move for sure.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:42 pm
Duke will end up the biggest loser under any scenario. Coach K’s retirement leaves them vulnerable and heading towards inevitable decline in basketball. No one will replicate his success. That coupled with the fact that their football program is awful means they are destined for mediocrity.
As an old school Maryland fan, I'm good with any scenario where Duke is the biggest loser....
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

PulpExposure wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:07 am
LongIslandLacks wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:42 pm
As an old school Maryland fan, I'm good with any scenario where Duke is the biggest loser....
As much as I hate Duke, the Terps had sone great games against them, and it was truly a great rivalry for 20 years. Being at senior night, as Greivis led the Terps to the upset of a top 5 Duke team, is still one of my fondest sports memories. It would ge a shame for Duke to fall into irrelevance.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”