NCAA reorg imminent

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: NCAA reorg imminent

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:59 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:43 pm Had this thought that this may allow higher ed to go to the “payment model” of pricing with everything al a Carte. Can claim they aren’t raising tuition by feeing uo extracurricular activities while still increasing cost of attendance
By "feeing up", do you mean charging massive fees to play a varsity sport?
Basically. If they pushed out ncaa min sport requirements eventually and moved more sports to elevated club model they could take a chunk out of their annual opex by having it pay for by incremental student fees rather than out of tuition revenues. It’s all fungible but student fees don’t cover athletics budgets for even a fraction. So making more extracurricular paid for by fees rather than base cost they can run endowments to the moon and tell congress it’s ok to be tax exempt because they’re not increasing tuition as fast tuition as previously. It’s a joke but could be a path for them to take. Would happen organically at first I would think with a few first movers but once there’s scale it could be the model.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:45 pm good article in the athletic from someone who is actually "in the room".
sorry for the paywall and i can't copy and paste.
https://theathletic.com/news/iowa-big-t ... 5OSWdC66R/

essentially, saying the b1g is not seeking members, although they're fielding calls and updating ad's when that happens. he semi-contradicts that later by saying notre dame has been on the hit list for a year since texas/oklahoma.

some spice quotes:
"i don't envision (expansion).
if i were predicting, i'm not predicting that we would be adding any more in the near future. we'll see."

also was paraphrased that he and the iowa prez will not be forced to make a decision on further expansion this summer. but reiterated he doesn't have a crystal ball.

for b1g fans, says he expects no more divisions after 2023-24 and plane travel many sports will be charter.

so as it turns out, there may be more than one possible outcome. at least according to an ad in the b1g.
Quint spent an entire Hopkins broadcast last year plus a pod and a column complaining that they weren't flying private. We're going to now be subjected to the "poor travel arrangements" narrative forever anytime he hears about a team not flying lax force one to get to a game.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-f ... -16-teams/

having heard from a b1g ad and now multiple anonymous sources in the sec, this several week pause may go on for awhile. backed up by cbs sports.

we're somewhere between a game of chicken between b1g, sec and notre dame and a surgical move for each conference matched for coming tv contracts.

a rehash for the front half of video, but the back 1/3 or so speaking to movement or not comings and goings between the pac10 and big12. the next 30 days is tv rights for what's left of the pac10. may start dominos or keep them upright for a bit, depending.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:06 pm https://www.10tv.com/mobile/article/spo ... 47c7feda70

Just asinine.
Why is that asinine?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

masondixonlax wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:21 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:06 pm https://www.10tv.com/mobile/article/spo ... 47c7feda70

Just asinine.
Why is that asinine?
It just is. I would just de-link college football from schools. Make the NFL pay for their own farm league. Players wouldn’t have to go to college to pursue a pro football career…..BTW, going to the Notre Dame game with friends of the Shottensteins. Was at the Penn State game last year when they handed over a big check to the school.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DocBarrister

Notre Dame Extorts NBC and Big12

Post by DocBarrister »

Notre Dame basically named its price to remain with NBC: $75 million a year. That’s five times the current $15 million (technically, it’s currently $22 million because the existing deal backloaded payments, but what’s a few million?).

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ndent/amp/

Reportedly, the deal will depend on whether NBC can negotiate a cut of the action in the Big12 (which is primarily associated with Fox Sports).

The number is also the de facto absolute minimum for the B1G or SEC if they want Notre Dame to come on board.

Notre Dame is essentially telling NBC to pay up or go home. The Fighting Irish are also coercing the Big12 to chip in or else see Notre Dame join one of the two superconferences.

Now, that is some serious extortion right there. Impressive ….

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
masondixonlax

Re: Notre Dame Extorts NBC and Big12

Post by masondixonlax »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:35 pm Notre Dame basically named its price to remain with NBC: $75 million a year. That’s five times the current $15 million (technically, it’s currently $22 million because the existing deal backloaded payments, but what’s a few million?).

Reportedly, the deal will depend on whether NBC can negotiate a cut of the action in the Big12 (which is primarily associated with Fox Sports).

The number is also the de facto absolute minimum for the B1G or SEC if they want Notre Dame to come on board.

Notre Dame is essentially telling NBC to pay up or go home. The Fighting Irish are also coercing the Big12 to chip in or else see Notre Dame join one of the two superconferences.

DocBarrister 8-)
This is y no one was sad/ cared (outside of notre dame fans) that they didn't make tourny this year
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Looking in other peoples pockets is petty.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:35 pm Notre Dame basically named its price to remain with NBC: $75 million a year. That’s five times the current $15 million (technically, it’s currently $22 million because the existing deal backloaded payments, but what’s a few million?).

DocBarrister 8-)
maybe the least surprising and most predictable development in all of this to date. there are a bunch of other networks and options notre dame can step to next. sounds like they're giving them right of first refusal, nothing more.

nbc was already in the bid for 2nd and 3rd tier rights with the b1g, and now they're exploring options on their end.

this is step one if nbc doesn't step. the next isn't joining the b1g or sec. it's checking out other media suitors. pretty vanilla, actually.
LongIslandLacks

Post by LongIslandLacks »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:10 pm
masondixonlax wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:21 pm

Just asinine.
Why is that asinine?
It just is. I would just de-link college football from schools. Make the NFL pay for their own farm league. Players wouldn’t have to go to college to pursue a pro football career…..BTW, going to the Notre Dame game with friends of the Shottensteins. Was at the Penn State game last year when they handed over a big check to the school.
This stuff is certainly going to make it much more difficult for coaches to control their players.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

DocBarrister 8-)
Unless somehow the B1G / SEC withdraw from the current College Football Playoff system and enter into a format similar to the old AFL/NFL Super Bowl, excluding everybody else. If their "College Football Super Bowl" becomes the de facto mythical national championship, then ND may feel compelled to be eligible.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

They’re going to need closer to 65-80 programs not 40-50 to maintain value. Half the value is the once a year element. If the teams have to play each other multiple times in a year to fill out a 13-14 game reg season schedule those rivalry games with get diluted real quick and the contract after this pending one will not see the linear growth that folks here seem to think happens with these things over long periods of time.
LongIslandLacks

Post by LongIslandLacks »

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:30 am

DocBarrister 8-)
Unless somehow the B1G / SEC withdraw from the current College Football Playoff system and enter into a format similar to the old AFL/NFL Super Bowl, excluding everybody else. If their "College Football Super Bowl" becomes the de facto mythical national championship, then ND may feel compelled to be eligible.
The breaking point occurs if/when ND starts to conclude they are boxed out of the football playoffs. Then, they knock on the Big 10’s door. I don’t think that necessarily will take the BIg 10 and SEC breaking off.

If/when ND joins the Big 10, it seems southern ACC schools will be pushing to get into the SEC. Downhill from there for those left out. Virginia, for instance, seems to fit better in the Big 10 but their AD is from the SEC and seems to like the SEC from what I have been told by folks who talk with her. FSU, on the other hand, is SEC—just a matter of time.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Everyone realizes, OSU notwithstanding, that the colleges from TX-FL-SC could peel off and that would be the best “college” football right?

You’ve got OSU winning once, in 2014 so that’s even 9yrs old now, and every other winner has been from the states I mentioned going back to when you ask?

2004 USC

GA, AL, LA, SC, FL and TX represent 18/20 championships.

CFP champions for last 20yrs:

YEAR CHAMPION SELECTING ORGANIZATION
2021 Georgia CFP
2020 Alabama CFP
2019 LSU CFP
2018 Clemson CFP
2017 Alabama CFP
2016 Clemson CFP
2015 Alabama CFP
2014 Ohio State CFP
2013 Florida State BCS
2012 Alabama BCS
2011 Alabama BCS
2010 Auburn BCS
2009 Alabama BCS
2008 Florida BCS
2007 LSU BCS
2006 Florida BCS
2005 Texas BCS
2004 Southern California BCS
2003 LSU, Southern California BCS, AP, FWAA
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OSU in 02 squeaking by Miami. Next Midwest champ? 1997 tied between Mich and Nebraska.

Basically this is a southern sport masquerading as a National one.

Post by 1766 »

Yet the B1G still wins the money game, which is really what is most important now.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Getting paid to not win. What a great scam.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”