Cornell 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
another fan

Re: Cornell 2019

Post by another fan »

Very solid all around effort. Kudos to Raz for turning things around; obviously makes a huge difference. Notable-- Tarbell looked very good with a pole and the D played well( except for some initial lapses in transition and garbage time). Nice production from the midfields, including Licciardi. And Ierlan is excellent when he gets help from the D, and often when he does not. Our attack obviously had another great day. Besides scoring they ride well, and Piatelli is great on ground balls. Two huge and tough games coming up.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Congrats to Cornell on its 19-18 4OT, I mean 19-11 victory. Who is "Harard?"
CU77

Post by CU77 »

DMac wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:54 pmOne of the commentators says he likes the dive but doesn't like the shot clock. What's to not like about the shot clock? Didn't explain what it is he doesn't like.
Yeah, first time I've heard that combo of opinions. I kinda-sorta still don't like the shot clock, on general principles. But since "fixing the sticks" is apparently out of the question, the shot clock is on balance an improvement in the game.

Continuing off-topic, the Harvard announcers were excellent, extremely knowledgable. I'll take them over the clown princes Quint Carc & Anish any day.

Amd, on topic: nice win by the Red! Overcame the initially huge FO deficit with a bunch of CTs. Offense continues to be gorgeous, and now holds the ball longer to give the defense some rest, and the defense stepped up.

On to conquer the Dome!
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

2 observations for starters (one consequential, one not):
-Tarbell at close and Salvo back to LSM: these moves make all the difference in the world. And this may be understatement. If I do say so myself, I told Another Fan a month ago that they should give Tarbell a pole and let him play close. Next up - (further) solidify the D and get to 50/50 on face-offs.
-The Harvard announcers were so impartial, they bordered on being pro-Cornell.
Other thoughts:
-Raz seemed to change his technique after it became clear that he was not winning many clamps. He started "raking" the ball, something I am not a fan of.
-Piatelli - three great assists and a nice x-dodge for a goal. He was matched up against a really fast defender and was always just a step shy of getting topside.
-Liccardi - best he's looked all year. He looked really quick today
-Telesco - high to low, please
-Really quick ball movement today. It was as good as it gets. 'Won't be so easy to replicate against Syracuse; they will press out aggressively and play the lanes. It will be a different world. And Syracuse has had a week off.
-It looks like Cornell's standard procedure against 10-man rides is now to shoot for the goal as soon as the opposing goalie goes "north" of GLE & for two attackmen to sprint to the end line
-I can't believe how many turnovers Harvard made, some forced, some unforced
-Milliman - I listened to the pre-game show the last two weeks. He sounded quite terse on both occasions. Uncharacteristically so.
-Gaining the head-to-head vs. Harvard & winning one of two against Brown and Princeton all but guarantees an ILT trip; they can also back in if Princeton losses another game.
DMac

Post by DMac »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:18 pm Congrats to Cornell on its 19-18 4OT, I mean 19-11 victory. Who is "Harard?"
Only a person with no sense of humor would post that (did you even get it?), so no surprise here.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:37 pm 2 observations for starters (one consequential, one not):
-Tarbell at close and Salvo back to LSM: these moves make all the difference in the world. And this may be understatement. If I do say so myself, I told Another Fan a month ago that they should give Tarbell a pole and let him play close. Next up - (further) solidify the D and get to 50/50 on face-offs.
-The Harvard announcers were so impartial, they bordered on being pro-Cornell.
Other thoughts:
-Raz seemed to change his technique after it became clear that he was not winning many clamps. He started "raking" the ball, something I am not a fan of.
-Piatelli - three great assists and a nice x-dodge for a goal. He was matched up against a really fast defender and was always just a step shy of getting topside.
-Liccardi - best he's looked all year. He looked really quick today
-Telesco - high to low, please
-Really quick ball movement today. It was as good as it gets. 'Won't be so easy to replicate against Syracuse; they will press out aggressively and play the lanes. It will be a different world. And Syracuse has had a week off.
-It looks like Cornell's standard procedure against 10-man rides is now to shoot for the goal as soon as the opposing goalie goes "north" of GLE & for two attackmen to sprint to the end line
-I can't believe how many turnovers Harvard made, some forced, some unforced
-Milliman - I listened to the pre-game show the last two weeks. He sounded quite terse on both occasions. Uncharacteristically so.
-Gaining the head-to-head vs. Harvard & winning one of two against Brown and Princeton all but guarantees an ILT trip; they can also back in if Princeton losses another game.
Great game by CU.
Actually Harvard made only one more TO than did CU (assuming the box score is correct).

Who would have said that if Harvard won 70% at X and and 15 more GB's and essentially even to TO's(17-16), with CU committing 5 penalties and going 0-3 on its opportunities, and with Harvard having one of the hottest Ivy tenders in net...that CU would walk away with the victory?

And I mean walk away.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

More of Cornell's TOs came in the 4th quarter when the game was out of reach for HU.

laxreference has 14 TOs for CU, 17 for HU.

https://lacrossereference.com/game-win- ... d_20190406
CU77

Post by CU77 »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:37 pm -Milliman - I listened to the pre-game show the last two weeks. He sounded quite terse on both occasions. Uncharacteristically so.
The pre-game coach interviews are boringly predictable.

Barry: "Player X did well last week."
Coach: "Yeah, he works as hard as anyone, it's good to see him get some in-game results."
Barry: "Today's opponent has done well the past few weeks, they're X in their last Y games."
Coach: "Yeah, they've been playing well, they will be a challenge for us."
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

I was only able to listen but seemed like our most complete game of the season with two solid O midfields, an as usual great attack, very good goal tending and a much better D. While FO didn’t impact the results today in other past and future games it likely has and will.

I’ve been outspoken on the personnel decisions on D however the Tarbel long stick move was/is nice. It’s important to have defensive players who understand and anticipate the slide packages, Tarbel does and gives us the ability to keep salvator up top....

On to the dome.....
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

DMac wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:16 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:18 pm Congrats to Cornell on its 19-18 4OT, I mean 19-11 victory. Who is "Harard?"
Only a person with no sense of humor would post that (did you even get it?), so no surprise here.
I have a great sense of humor. We just find differing things funny. Best of luck on Tuesday. The Orange are deservedly favored. Thankfully, though, the game is played on a field, not in a blog.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:09 pm More of Cornell's TOs came in the 4th quarter when the game was out of reach for HU.

laxreference has 14 TOs for CU, 17 for HU.

https://lacrossereference.com/game-win- ... d_20190406
Could be more accurate than the box score reported by HU.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I've been unable to replay the game on the streaming service yet (a technical issue that I am sure I'll resolve at some point). Thanks to all for their updates. I have a few general observations:

1. I do hope that with a 5-3, 8 point day against Harvard that Jeff Teat is seriously considered for Ivy Player of the Week. Kyle Mullin is a respected goal tender, and doing well against the Harvard defense is worthy of some credit.

2. Tarbell at close defense sounds like a really constructive solution to strengthening that part of Cornell's game.

3. Ierlan with 14 saves and a 56% save percentage was great to see.

4. Harvard has a credible offense, so stopping them is not a small feat. On the Harvard web site, I was a bit concerned seeing a photo of Kyle Anderson diving into Chayse Ierlan. While nothing illegal, I really dislike the dive rule.

5. Lehigh and Hobart both losing may not be good for us. Hobart lost in overtime to St. Joe's. I suspect that their effort on Tuesday was a bit draining. Lehigh's loss to Loyola may not be as bad for us.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Solid game and great way to get ready for a superbly difficult Syracuse team. Teat just at times simply takes over games and he did that today. He has changed his game a little bit this year and I think it is really helping as his threat now to look for his shot more is keeping D's a bit more honest as in the past, they were more focused on cutting down his passing lanes which at times are incredibly small but he still finds ways to make them. Teat guarded by Mellen is must see TV.

The second line middies were awesome, Liccardi, Telesco, Ward etc.and both Piatelli and Petterson reinforced the fact that they are not just goal scorers as some of their passes were Teatesque.

Moving Tarbell back has been already discussed of course freeing up Salvatore to "roam" more and cause more havoc.

Chayse just continues to grow in confidence and knowing that we have our goalie for another 3 and half years is a great feeling for any Cornell fan.

Faceoffs got much better in the 2nd half, and I believe Raz may finally be healthy and getting back to his old self. Even when he is beaten on the 1st move, he still battles and gives his wings a chance.

OK, NOW FOR a POSSIBLE RULE CHANGE (that I am not for) but ask your opinions.
The 10 MAN RIDE is now so easily beaten, by simply taking that 3/4 field shot with your attack backing up. I mean that "shot" can be more closer to hitting the man in the moon than the net, but as long as you make it look like some sort of shot, and have those attackmen backing up, you basically negate the 10 man ride.

I could see them changing it to something like, you must be over that mid-field line for that to be allowed. You can still shoot at the open net from anywhere and recover the ball BUT if it does go over the endline (which almost all do), you dont get the ball back if the shot was not on the opponents side of mid-field.

THOUGHTS?

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
DMac

Post by DMac »

Brilliant, that's a good idea, Joewillie.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Mellen and Bomberry are both really tough close defenders for Syracuse.
DMac

Post by DMac »

A couple of other long poles on the field in Fernandez and Kennedy are pretty tough too. Whole lot of superb athletes on these two teams, don't know how match ups get much more interesting than this one. Only fools speak of deserved favorites, will be surprised if this one doesn't live up to what most of us are anticipating. Cornell-Cuse in the Dome Tue evening, gotta just love that.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

The dilemma:
-Barring a miracle, Penn has locked up the ILT #1 seed; Yale #2.
-If Cornell beats Brown and Princeton, they are the #3...facing Yale. Bad (i.e., not a good match-up).
-If Cornell losses to Brown (possibly creating a must win scenario vs Princeton), Cornell is the the #4 seed and plays Penn, a much better match-up.

My hope is that Cornell beats both Brown and Princeton...in the hope that they get an at-large bid, in the event they do not win the ILT.
But for an at-large bid to be a possibility, I think they have to beat Syracuse OR Notre Dame.

PS: Joe Willie - here's some background on the rule you are referring to. It's the referees' discretion as to whether a player's shot (wherever the shot comes from) is legitimately a shot on goal. And the refs can...and do interpret the rule strictly. Check out the famous Washington & Lee "Armidillo" Play). Washington & Lee under, I believe Dick Emmer, devised a play where the offensive players huddled with the ball carrier in the huddle, pretty much negating the far superior opposing team (North Carolina) from getting to the ball. The play was a stalling tool. The assumption was that NC would start to commit penalties. At some point in the game, they started to use the half to three-quarter field shot to retain possession. At first...successfully. My understanding is that the tactic worked at first, but the refs eventually adopted a strict interpretation of the shot on goal rule and ruled that Washington & Lee's "shots" were not legitimate shots on goal. Washington & Lee led for a while and kept the game close, eventually losing.
The NCAA outlawed the armidillo play shortly thereafter.
Last edited by VeryRustyRed on Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Cornell 14
Syracuse 11
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Cornell 16 over 'Cuse 14

Lock it in!
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

DMac wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:45 pm A couple of other long poles on the field in Fernandez and Kennedy are pretty tough too. Whole lot of superb athletes on these two teams, don't know how match ups get much more interesting than this one. Only fools speak of deserved favorites, will be surprised if this one doesn't live up to what most of us are anticipating. Cornell-Cuse in the Dome Tue evening, gotta just love that.
If people who say who deserves to be the favorite are "fools," people who predict exact scores are a joke, and people who at this point are approaching 900 posts are losers. I paid Syracuse a compliment, Dmac, and you couldn't accept it gracefully - you had to respond with a snide remark, so you get what you deserve.
Last edited by laxfan1313 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”