2022 Women’s Lacrosse World Championship

D1 Womens Lacrosse
njbill

Re: 2022 Women’s Lacrosse World Championship

Post by njbill »

Haha. We shall see if my source holds up I guess.
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

I wondered why the USA played so far outside after getting possession into the offensive zone? Just passed the ball 'round and 'round for awhile. Why, with all that offensive ability, wasn't the team constantly going to the goal, sending cutters through, etc. Heck, it seemed that every time a player on either team got into the fan with the ball, it was either a shot or a free position for something or other....

Was it the coaching that held them back? I feel talent won that game, not the coaches....
njbill

Post by njbill »

All-World Team and MVP:

Aurora Cordingley, Canada
Taylor Cummings, USA
Dana Dobbie, Canada
Oliva Hompe, England
Marie McCool, USA
Alice Mercer, USA
Kaylin Morrissette, Canada
Hannah Nielsen, Australia
Brittany Read, England
Kayla Treanor, USA

MVP: Taylor Cummings

https://www.womensworldlax2022.com/spor ... World_Team
DMac

Post by DMac »

Well, first time the host country wins the Gold. Looks as if there's another first going on here too.
List of the All World Team put out and no beef? No shoulda been and shouldn'ta been? No grumbling?
Very odd and fer sure a first.

Dog texted to let me know he was happy with the game and outcome. He loves watching humans
throwing balls and chasing after them.

We ever get an explanation on the eleven meter that's an eight meter?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

DMac wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:13 pm Well, first time the host country wins the Gold. Looks as if there's another first going on here too.
List of the All World Team put out and no beef? No shoulda been and shouldn'ta been? No grumbling?
Very odd and fer sure a first.

Dog texted to let me know he was happy with the game and outcome. He loves watching humans
throwing balls and chasing after them.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Haha.

How about a ground ball drill pitting humans against dogs. To level the playing field, since the dogs are so superior, let’s make it four or six humans per dog.

Some rules. No empty snout checks. No biting (by either humans or dogs). Excessive barking can lead to a yellow card unless determined by the referee to be due to exuberance as opposed to frustration.

At the end of the drill, we add up which side has collected more ground balls. If the humans win, they get to pet the puppies. If the dogs win, they get to chew on the humans’ sticks.
njbill

Post by njbill »

DMac wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:13 pm We ever get an explanation on the eleven meter that's an eight meter?
What they said was the 11m arc is measured from the goal line in international play. I assume that means from the midpoint of the goal line to the top of the arc.

In college they said it is measured from the goal circle to the 8m arc, which is my understanding and is what the rule book says.

I have my high school, but not college, rule book handy. I think the distances are the same. The rulebook says it is 10.6 m (or 34’10”) from the goal line to the top of the 8m arc.

0.4m equals 15.7”.

So that sounds like the international 11m line is 15.7 inches further out than the college 8m line.
Vol1776

Post by Vol1776 »

tothedraw wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:45 pm
laxhound22 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:45 pm Anyone know what the things some players are wearing around their necks? Lots in the England game and Cummings has one.
Concussion prevention device. Don't ask me how it works. 🤷
From what was said in a Canada game earlier in the tournament it some how makes sure the brain is getting good blood flow to it.
DMac

Post by DMac »

njbill wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:08 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:13 pm We ever get an explanation on the eleven meter that's an eight meter?
What they said was the 11m arc is measured from the goal line in international play. I assume that means from the midpoint of the goal line to the top of the arc.

In college they said it is measured from the goal circle to the 8m arc, which is my understanding and is what the rule book says.

I have my high school, but not college, rule book handy. I think the distances are the same. The rulebook says it is 10.6 m (or 34’10”) from the goal line to the top of the 8m arc.

0.4m equals 15.7”.

So that sounds like the international 11m line is 15.7 inches further out than the college 8m line.
Thanks. So one is measured from the goal line, the one the cage sits on. The other is measured from the crease/goal circle.
Both are measured to the top of the arc. Got it, it's more a matter of semantics than distance and area.
njbill

Post by njbill »

If you like, we can ask Joe B for a further explanation.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

njbill wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:18 pm All-World Team and MVP:

Aurora Cordingley, Canada
Taylor Cummings, USA
Dana Dobbie, Canada
Oliva Hompe, England
Marie McCool, USA
Alice Mercer, USA
Kaylin Morrissette, Canada
Hannah Nielsen, Australia
Brittany Read, England
Kayla Treanor, USA

MVP: Taylor Cummings

https://www.womensworldlax2022.com/spor ... World_Team
Appuzzo??
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Vol1776 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:28 pm
laxhound22 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:45 pm Anyone know what the things some players are wearing around their necks? Lots in the England game and Cummings has one.
From what was said in a Canada game earlier in the tournament it some how makes sure the brain is getting good blood flow to it.
Yes and no, your body does a pretty good job of making sure your brain gets enough blood on its own, but the Q-collar applies light pressure to the jugular veins. Veins are responsible for bringing blood from the body tissue to the heart. The theory is that the he light pressure applied by the Q-collar on the jugular veins is going to impede the process of venous return and increase the overall blood volume in the brain. Lots of head injuries are caused by the brain slamming into the skull wall. The increased blood volume in the brain is supposed to make it more difficult for the brain to slosh around in your skull. I think they've done studies on woodpeckers and sheep that show they do this (increase blood volume in the brain) naturally when they bang their head on things.

I think a number of these athletes have sponsorship deals with Q-Collar or something
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

US wins 14 of 18 draws taken by Mastroianni…in a game without a shot clock. Wow.
DMac

Post by DMac »

There's no shot clock?
This very much surprised me, was concerned about this part of the game as Morrissette had been so incredibly dominant and virtually untouchable in all the other games I saw her in. She's fantastic at controlling the draw, vacuum GB gal too, very good with the ball in her stick. Game opened with her winning the first draw, just figured this was going to be trouble all day but nope, enter Mastroianni. Such a work horse and steady player, she's just sooo good. It's no wonder she was a Tewaaraton (that's the Heisman equivalent) finalist.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Vol1776 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:28 pm
It is supposed to prevent a rush of blood flow to the brain in a situation where there is a potential concussion. It’s based on how woodpeckers who smash their beaks repeatedly into a tree do not get concussions because of their blood flow. Well that’s the best that I remember anyhow.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Well, their logo should be this guy then, they're awesome.
Have seen quite a few of them and yup, you're going to
hear them before you see them...on two different levels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqPPioNKIfo
njbill

Post by njbill »

You guys do realize that by injecting woodpeckers and sheep into the conversation you are opening the door wide open for an all time thread hijack. :lol:
DMac

Post by DMac »

You forgot blood rushing to the head. ;)
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

tothedraw wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:06 pm Cordingley put Trenchard on roller skates.
Yet failed to score in the game…
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Someone said the following about Dana Dobbie : "Another stick over the head sweep to intimidate."

Obviously the person that wrote that does not know what that is. It's an attacking move called a "Swim Dodge". It's pretty much a staple in the attack bag on the Men's side, but a rarity on the Women's side.
I'm surprised that more women players do not utilize it. Can(and is) very effective in stifling defenders.
Last edited by LarryGamLax on Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”