Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by HopFan16 »

Powellfan22 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:28 pm The exodus comment isn’t really accurate. Dordevic is a huge loss there is no getting around it. But outside of him there was maybe two players who would have seen time next year in Corsi and Savage. And if you take a closer look at the Transfer Portal thread you’ll see two impressive additions in Simmons and Kirst. They don’t make up for Dordevic but they do make the team better.
It's as much of an exodus as you're going to see. Seven guys (that we know of) is more than any other team except Fairfield. Your best player is taking his talents elsewhere (after saying a few months ago he was going to stay, so something changed) and Corsi was a promising kid who looked like he'd have an impact — he's not someone I'd want leaving. Berkman was another contributor, and Gavin, while I'm sure will not be missed much by you guys given the season he had, was still someone who started 11 of 14 games. Your other most impactful players (Phaup, Kennedy, Seebold, Curry) are all out of eligibility so there wasn't a whole lot of other talent that even COULD leave.

For the record, none of this was meant as a drag on Cuse — I was taking issue with Sag's declaration that the Orange are in some way (yet to be explained by him) going in a drastically different direction than we are. If you ask me they are pretty similar situations — we're just one year ahead in the rebuild. Your 2022 looked a lot like our 2021. Our 2022 was slightly but not much better than our 2021 so that could either be a preview of what's to come for Cuse next season or maybe the talented freshman class and return of Hiltz allow you guys to do better than we did. 2023 will be a crucial season for both programs.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The Cuse program anticipated a “large” turnover this year. Not a surprise.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Former Blue Jay midfielder Brian Kelly (JHU '93) brought on as the new volunteer assistant: https://hopkinssports.com/news/2022/6/2 ... staff.aspx

Had been the head coach at Goucher for the last 10 years and is a director of the Crabs lacrosse club program
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:30 am Former Blue Jay midfielder Brian Kelly (JHU '93) brought on as the new volunteer assistant: https://hopkinssports.com/news/2022/6/2 ... staff.aspx

Had been the head coach at Goucher for the last 10 years and is a director of the Crabs lacrosse club program
ok, this is definitely a step in the right direction. A) bringing back a Hop middie and B) bringing in someone to help with the offense and midfields (clearing can use help)
I like this move, a lot. Should help the culture as well.
I still think Cuse is recruiting better and doing better in the portal.
HappyHourLax

Post by HappyHourLax »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:30 am Former Blue Jay midfielder Brian Kelly (JHU '93) brought on as the new volunteer assistant: https://hopkinssports.com/news/2022/6/2 ... staff.aspx

Smart decision bringing in alumni to help guide this program back in the right direction. JK, Crawley and Kelly are a more than capable asst. coaching staff that should help garner more support from alumni. I still believe in Milliman and hope that we see some improvement in 2023.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:18 am
Powellfan22 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:28 pm The exodus comment isn’t really accurate. Dordevic is a huge loss there is no getting around it. But outside of him there was maybe two players who would have seen time next year in Corsi and Savage. And if you take a closer look at the Transfer Portal thread you’ll see two impressive additions in Simmons and Kirst. They don’t make up for Dordevic but they do make the team better.
It's as much of an exodus as you're going to see. Seven guys (that we know of) is more than any other team except Fairfield. Your best player is taking his talents elsewhere (after saying a few months ago he was going to stay, so something changed) and Corsi was a promising kid who looked like he'd have an impact — he's not someone I'd want leaving. Berkman was another contributor, and Gavin, while I'm sure will not be missed much by you guys given the season he had, was still someone who started 11 of 14 games. Your other most impactful players (Phaup, Kennedy, Seebold, Curry) are all out of eligibility so there wasn't a whole lot of other talent that even COULD leave.

For the record, none of this was meant as a drag on Cuse — I was taking issue with Sag's declaration that the Orange are in some way (yet to be explained by him) going in a drastically different direction than we are. If you ask me they are pretty similar situations — we're just one year ahead in the rebuild. Your 2022 looked a lot like our 2021. Our 2022 was slightly but not much better than our 2021 so that could either be a preview of what's to come for Cuse next season or maybe the talented freshman class and return of Hiltz allow you guys to do better than we did. 2023 will be a crucial season for both programs.
Well there are plenty of other players who could have left, it's a pretty big roster. I imagine that it will be a very young team next year and there will be some bumps in the road. Last season they definitely under performed, I'm not sure Gait knew exactly what he was getting himself into. He admitted that the schedule he devised was too difficult. We will see what he's learned form last year to this.

In terms of the players you listed, I won't argue about Dordevic. It is is a bummer. The only silver lining is that it should open up opportunities for other players on the team. He was very ball dominant last year (he had to be, frankly). Spallina and Hiltz will get plenty of opportunities to make an impact. If Dordevic was still in the fold he could have stunted their development. Berkman lost his starting spot late in the year to Jackson Birtwistle who put up 10 goals in the last three games of the year. I don't think he was getting his spot back. Even if Birtwistle struggles both Kirst and Simmons are right handed attackmen, to say nothing of the freshmen. Corsi apparently wants to play attack and that probably wasn't going to happen at Syracuse (see Birtwistle, Kirst, Simmons, Finlay Thomson, Joey Spallina, etc). He is a loss, but if you play him at attack you might lose another very good and maybe more promising player to the portal. It's too bad about Gavin not working out, but he was given every opportunity. I'm sure playing in front of the Orange defense wasn't easy last year but he didn't play very well.

I don't personally expect Syracuse to make the playoffs next year, but I would like to see progress. They had some close losses last year to some good teams (including Cornell) so hopefully they will learn how to close out games better. I do think the 'Cuse recruiting class is really promising, but the last time they had a very highly ranked class (see Jordan Evans) that group did not pan out. So we shall see.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HappyHourLax wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:24 am

Smart decision bringing in alumni to help guide this program back in the right direction. JK, Crawley and Kelly are a more than capable asst. coaching staff that should help garner more support from alumni. I still believe in Milliman and hope that we see some improvement in 2023.
Is there another program in the country right now where "the alumni" are in such open warfare w/the university and is this overstated sour grapes from a few petro guys or a continuing real issue w/ex program players/parents?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Seems to me you should know the answer.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:26 pm
Is there another program in the country right now where "the alumni" are in such open warfare w/the university and is this overstated sour grapes from a few petro guys or a continuing real issue w/ex program players/parents?
I'm sorry, but hiring your friends usually just doesn't work out.

https://www.corporatestaffing.co.ke/201 ... -bad-idea/

https://www.corporatestaffing.co.ke/201 ... -bad-idea/
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Jays will play in the Rose Bowl….eventually.

Just heard USC and UCLA have been notified that their application to join the Big Ten has been accepted. The schools will begin play in 2024.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Hoponboard wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:52 pm Jays will play in the Rose Bowl….eventually.

Just heard USC and UCLA have been notified that their application to join the Big Ten has been accepted. The schools will begin play in 2024.
usc has a d1 womens team, I don't know if our women have ever played them. I think I saw something that chris boland and gvozden were out west coaching at some point maybe hs or mcla. Having the big ten network all over california can't hurt growing the big ten lacrosse brand and Hopkins although there's going to be more competition for getting our games on the actual btn instead of btn+ w 2 more schools that need tv.

I don't know much about the big ten dynamics but I would imagine our 5 conference rivals will get some more $ from this and certainly national branding which can't hurt them in recruiting. Also going to further separate the resources available for schools like Ohio State/Michigan from places like towson, loyola, and even acc schools that don't have as powerful tv contracts or the donor support that many of you provide.

And USC mens hoops coach enfield is a former blue jay.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html

Sun story on Crawley/Berhardt stepping into big new roles. Paywalled.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The story is also in the Annapolis Capital. Haven’t checked for a paywall.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

OCanada wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:25 am The story is also in the Annapolis Capital. Haven’t checked for a paywall.
Paywall there also
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Crawley probably has the tougher job, although the expectations and standards are so high at Maryland right now it's going to be tough to do better for their new guy.

The athletic has some updates speculating on the future of the big ten. Notre Dame is the first and most important domino to fall. It sounds like North Carolina and Virginia could potentially be in play after. They don't see a Duke fit, given that this is all football driven.

For scheduling if Notre Dame is added to the big ten that would mean lopping off an opponent-Georgetown? and a revision to the conference tournament where maybe the 7th place team isn't included.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The relevant quotes from that Sun article for those who can't access:
Johns Hopkins coach Peter Milliman said he interviewed Crawley in 2020 when he was hired to succeed Dave Pietramala. When Grant stepped down, Milliman said Crawley was his first — and last — call.

“He has an intense passion for success,” Milliman said. “He has earned the respect of his peers and his colleagues and his opponents because I think he has a very grounded and fundamental understanding of the game and a creative mind and intuitive sense for what he wants to do and how to get there. That connection of implementing and teaching system lacrosse to meet the end that you seek on the field is really a big piece of the process of teaching and building an offense. It’s something he can articulate very well and is impressive to hear him explain.”

Crawley said he has some ideas, but is eager to meet the players first and identify how he can help them. He said one of his first priorities is helping them deal with some of the expectations associated with Johns Hopkins.

“I remember going to the [Hopkins] Deli and having a random guy ask me why I didn’t score that goal in the last game,” Crawley said with a laugh. “I really feel for our guys because as an alum, I felt it as well. I think when you go to Hopkins though, that is what you sign up for. You sign up for that challenge, and you sign up for all the eyes on you, and I think as a player who has been through it and gone through it pretty recently, I think I’ll be able to help the guys and take that pressure off their backs because I think that’s a really important piece of this thing.”
Pretty sure that "random guy in Hopkins deli" asking why Crawley didn't score was jhu06
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:55 am The relevant quotes from that Sun article for those who can't access:
Johns Hopkins coach Peter Milliman said he interviewed Crawley in 2020 when he was hired to succeed Dave Pietramala. When Grant stepped down, Milliman said Crawley was his first — and last — call.

“He has an intense passion for success,” Milliman said. “He has earned the respect of his peers and his colleagues and his opponents because I think he has a very grounded and fundamental understanding of the game and a creative mind and intuitive sense for what he wants to do and how to get there. That connection of implementing and teaching system lacrosse to meet the end that you seek on the field is really a big piece of the process of teaching and building an offense. It’s something he can articulate very well and is impressive to hear him explain.”

Crawley said he has some ideas, but is eager to meet the players first and identify how he can help them. He said one of his first priorities is helping them deal with some of the expectations associated with Johns Hopkins.

“I remember going to the [Hopkins] Deli and having a random guy ask me why I didn’t score that goal in the last game,” Crawley said with a laugh. “I really feel for our guys because as an alum, I felt it as well. I think when you go to Hopkins though, that is what you sign up for. You sign up for that challenge, and you sign up for all the eyes on you, and I think as a player who has been through it and gone through it pretty recently, I think I’ll be able to help the guys and take that pressure off their backs because I think that’s a really important piece of this thing.”
Pretty sure that "random guy in Hopkins deli" asking why Crawley didn't score was jhu06
never met him, but I'm pretty sure at Duke basketball walkons and managers and football longsnappers are better known in the community than Matt Danowski.

I don't know if PM could have found 2 better assistants than him and jameson in terms of understanding the program and university.

transfer portal has been pretty quiet this year.
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:52 am Crawley probably has the tougher job, although the expectations and standards are so high at Maryland right now it's going to be tough to do better for their new guy.

The athletic has some updates speculating on the future of the big ten. Notre Dame is the first and most important domino to fall. It sounds like North Carolina and Virginia could potentially be in play after. They don't see a Duke fit, given that this is all football driven.

For scheduling if Notre Dame is added to the big ten that would mean lopping off an opponent-Georgetown? and a revision to the conference tournament where maybe the 7th place team isn't included.
If ND come in, then Hopkins becomes an appendix, with all the foreseeable consequences.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

I doubt there's much consideration at the league office for the goings on in the conferences non-revenue sports. I'd be a bit surprised if such a thing would result in Hop being jettisoned from the league without an actual stink being made by the full members that do participate. If the Jays were dominating conference play, humiliating the league members and taking the AQ slot every year maybe but that certainly isn't the situation we find ourselves in.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:26 pm I doubt there's much consideration at the league office for the goings on in the conferences non-revenue sports. I'd be a bit surprised if such a thing would result in Hop being jettisoned from the league without an actual stink being made by the full members that do participate. If the Jays were dominating conference play, humiliating the league members and taking the AQ slot every year maybe but that certainly isn't the situation we find ourselves in.
If you're a d1 mens coach what's the one program you want on your schedule every year? Hopkins because the Homewood games are guaranteed to be on ESPN for recruits, donors, students, parents and alumni to see and it's in one of the best recruiting areas. We don't draw any $ from the big ten, and ohio state and michigan who perhaps need flights are the two wealthiest schools in the conference.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”