NCAA reorg imminent

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Re: NCAA reorg imminent

Post by 1766 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:50 pm
PulpExposure wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:37 pm https://twitter.com/braden_keith/status ... s2eA7JAUFQ

If true this is the end of the ACC.

Edit - referring to what wg posted above.
ESPN efforts mean grant-of-rights deterrent is also close to being dead (nice try, ACC).

I agree with others here … Notre Dame has some leverage right now, but their power is fleeting.

The PAC12 is on life support and the ACC looks to unravel fairly quickly.

If I were the Big12, I would be on the phone with every PAC12 and ACC team willing to join them.

As for the Big Ten, they cannot wait for a decision from Notre Dame. They need to figure out how to keep up with the SEC.

As for the SEC itself … when will the pretense stop and the SEC admits it’s really a professional sports league that just happens to own some quasi-academic institutions as window dressing?

DocBarrister 8-)

From a money perspective, the SEC is trying to keep up with the B1G. If ND came into the fold, I am not sure they will get there no matter what other teams they add.

UNC had so called student-athletes getting grades for fake classes for 2 years. That's some SEC level type sh*t. They might be a good fit there, though on the surface, they are a very typical school the B1G might add. It would bring in a new market, if you paired them with Uva, even more.

If you are reading the tea leaves, there are 3 spots for about 8 realistic schools.
ggait

Post by ggait »

I'd be shocked/surprised if UNC/UVA winds up being the package deal pair that goes to the SEC. Why wouldn't that be UNC/Duke instead? I was fearing that UVA would be the one getting left out. And would the SEC really pass on taking both Miami and Duke? Maybe it is just TV market eyeballs -- UNC gets you NC eyeballs even without Duke (which realistically is more NJ than NC eyeballs). And UVA gets you the VA and DC eyeballs?

Both UVA and Duke are meh in football and strong in hoops. But Duke hoops is an absolutely top level blue blood brand while UVA hoops (which I completely love, especially Coach Bennett) just isn't at the same level.

While getting into the SEC is better than being stranded in a collapsing ACC, be careful what you wish for Hoos. You really want to be in the same football conference with Bama, LSU, GA, TAMU, TX, OK etc.? Yikes! Could easily turn into a Vanderbilt-type situation. But being in the same hoops conference as KY and UNC would be cool. I wouldn't miss Duke for a minute. Or VaTech either.

ND is totally sitting pretty. They are a complete free agent and the single top target in this game of musical chairs. FYI, ND football is only tied to the ACC so long as they are an ACC member in the other sports. If ND pulls its other sports from the ACC, they have no obligation to send their football team to the ACC.

I think ND would always figure out a way to stay independent and have access to the CFP. But if the ACC collapses, they will need a home for their other sports. So if they need to go B10 for their other sports, there's no longer any reason to fight against full B10 membership.

So if UVA and UNC go SEC, do you finally get some SEC schools adding D1 mlax?
Last edited by ggait on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

LaxFan2000 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:58 pm
PulpExposure wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:37 pm https://twitter.com/braden_keith/status ... s2eA7JAUFQ

ESPN efforts mean grant-of-rights deterrent is also close to being dead (nice try, ACC).

I agree with others here … Notre Dame has some leverage right now, but their power is fleeting.

If I were the Big12, I would be on the phone with every PAC12 and ACC team willing to join them.

As for the Big Ten, they cannot wait for a decision from Notre Dame. They need to figure out how to keep up with the SEC.

As for the SEC itself … when will the pretense stop and the SEC admits it’s really a professional sports league that just happens to own some quasi-academic institutions as window dressing?

DocBarrister 8-)
Stating it like it is a done deal :lol: . I guess as wgdsr stated, you know better than ALL of us. :roll:
I don’t know better than ALL of you. Just better than you and wgdsr, obviously.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

ggait wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:09 pm I'd be shocked/surprised if UNC/UVA winds up being the package deal pair that goes to the SEC. Why wouldn't that be UNC/Duke instead? I was fearing that UVA would be the one getting left out. And would the SEC really pass on taking both Miami and Duke?

Both UVA and Duke are meh in football and strong in hoops. But Duke hoops is an absolutely top level blue blood brand while UVA hoops (which I completely love, especially Coach Bennett) just isn't at the same level.

While getting into the SEC is better than being stranded in a collapsing ACC, be careful what you wish for Hoos. You really want to be in the same football conference with Bama, LSU, GA, TAMU, etc.? Yikes! Could easily turn into a Vanderbilt-type situation. But being in the same hoops conference as KY and UNC would be cool. I wouldn't miss Duke for a minute. Or VaTech either.

ND is totally sitting pretty. They are a complete free agent and the single top target in this game of musical chairs. FYI, ND football is only tied to the ACC so long as they are an ACC member in the other sports. If ND pulls its other sports from the ACC, they have no obligation to send their football team to the ACC.

I think ND would always figure out a way to stay independent and have access to the CFP. But if the ACC collapses, they will need a home for their other sports. So if they need to go B10 for their other sports, there's no longer any reason to fight against full B10 membership.

The leaders at UVA obviously read my posts about how they will be left out and decided to get proactive. ;)

Frankly, no conference actually needs UVA, but UVA isn’t a bad addition either. I am not at all surprised to hear that Virginia is trying to get a seat early before the music cuts out.

Notre Dame really has no reason whatsoever to stay independent. It’s one Notre Dame tradition that has long outlived its usefulness.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Post by 1766 »

ggait wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:09 pm I'd be shocked/surprised if UNC/UVA winds up being the package deal pair that goes to the SEC. Why wouldn't that be UNC/Duke instead? I was fearing that UVA would be the one getting left out. And would the SEC really pass on taking both Miami and Duke? Maybe it is just TV market eyeballs -- UNC gets you NC eyeballs even without Duke (which realistically is more NJ than NC eyeballs). And UVA gets you the VA and DC eyeballs?

While getting into the SEC is better than being stranded in a collapsing ACC, be careful what you wish for Hoos. You really want to be in the same football conference with Bama, LSU, GA, TAMU, TX, OK etc.? Yikes! Could easily turn into a Vanderbilt-type situation. But being in the same hoops conference as KY and UNC would be cool. I wouldn't miss Duke for a minute. Or VaTech either.

It's actual markets that can be monetized through bundling, not eyeballs. Though they don't hurt. Duke is in a tough spot. SEC values football above all else. Duke wouldn't necessarily bring the market like UNC would. And Duke's football program, nor the school, are very SEC like. The problem is they aren't a great fit for the B1G either. UNC is more B1G like.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:26 pm
ggait wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:09 pm I'd be shocked/surprised if UNC/UVA winds up being the package deal pair that goes to the SEC. Why wouldn't that be UNC/Duke instead? I was fearing that UVA would be the one getting left out. And would the SEC really pass on taking both Miami and Duke?

While getting into the SEC is better than being stranded in a collapsing ACC, be careful what you wish for Hoos. You really want to be in the same football conference with Bama, LSU, GA, TAMU, etc.? Yikes! Could easily turn into a Vanderbilt-type situation. But being in the same hoops conference as KY and UNC would be cool. I wouldn't miss Duke for a minute. Or VaTech either.

The leaders at UVA obviously read my posts about how they will be left out and decided to get proactive. ;)

Frankly, no conference actually needs UVA, but UVA isn’t a bad addition either. I am not at all surprised to hear that Virginia is trying to get a seat early before the music cuts out.

Notre Dame really has no reason whatsoever to stay independent. It’s one Notre Dame tradition that has long outlived its usefulness.

DocBarrister
you're hilare, doc. that's why we love you. entertainment value is off the charts.

but question....if nd nails down a $100 million/yr media contract(s), believes they'll have access to cfp, and b1g has an as expected media contract starting at ~ $60-70 million... why move?
ggait

Post by ggait »

The ND/NBC contract is currently at $15M a year.

While it should go up a lot, it probably would not exceed the per school B10 payout.

But if a new NBC contract gets you somewhat in the ballpark, I agree that ND would prefer to stay football independent.

Now if the ACC collapses, then ND is going to need a home for hoops, baseball, lacrosse, soccer, etc. They are already in the B10 for ice hockey. In which case you'd just join (finally) the B10 for football and all the other sports too.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:12 pm

DocBarrister
you're hilare, doc. that's why we love you. entertainment value is off the charts.

but question....if nd nails down a $100 million/yr media contract(s), believes they'll have access to cfp, and b1g has an as expected media contract starting at ~ $60-70 million... why move?
I agree with ggait … I can’t see how NBC can even get close to matching anything the B1G can leverage as a conference. Indeed, NBC may be in danger of getting shut out of major college football.

Notre Dame gets $15 million a year from NBC and $11 million a year from the ACC. That’s $26 million total. Who would pay Notre Dame anything close to $100 million a year as a stand-alone independent?

https://frontofficesports.com/notre-dam ... ing-irish/

Just as Notre Dame cannot win on the football field by following tradition alone, there is no way Notre Dame can survive as an independent in the emerging new world of college football.

Notre Dame leadership is dealing with internal denial right now. The school’s leadership must confront reality sooner than later.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Further News Regarding Pending Destruction of ACC

Post by DocBarrister »

Let’s be frank here … the ACC is not on the verge of collapsing. Instead, it is being deliberately and precisely picked apart and destroyed by the B1G and SEC.

Just another bit of news on that front, as FSU has apparently been in talks with both the SEC and B1G, with the B1G actually offering to waive their general requirement of AAU membership to join the conference.

Sources tell NoleGameday that Florida State is in the process of exploring a move to a new conference. The Seminoles have had discussions with the SEC and Big Ten since last summer. Both conferences have displayed an interest in adding the university to their group of current members, along with other schools in the ACC.

… While the SEC would represent more regional matchups for Florida State, the Big Ten offers a tradition of excellence that could boost the university's academic reach.

NoleGameday has been informed that the conference is considering a concession to offer the Seminoles membership despite the fact they're not an AAU (Association of American Universities) school. This isn't something that all of the current members of the conference are necessarily privy about.

https://www.si.com/college/fsu/.amp/foo ... conference

The SEC would probably do everything it can to stop the B1G from gaining a foothold in the Southeast.

Bottom line … the ACC may no longer exist by the time lacrosse season comes around again.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

$100 million contract for ND is insanity. It’s not the 40s. They are a fringe contender who isn’t the TV draw they used to be. Their ratings, if they stay on NBC, will only go down if there are two mega conferences putting on huge games every weekend. The ACC money is irrelevant, what is relevant is what if being paid explicitly to them to televise their games, which is $15 million from NBC. If they stay independent there is no ACC money. They will be kick to get $20 mill on a next independent contract. I agree Duke may get left out. The question of D1 lax in the SEC is interesting. It is very possible these conferences leave the NCAA, at least for football. What does that mean for Title IX? Wouldn’t it, at the drop of a hat, mean 85 fewer male scholarship athletes at each school, for Title IX purposes? Wouldn’t that free them up to add lax, if they have the money (they will now!) and the will (at least some will). Thoughts?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:45 pm $100 million contract for ND is insanity. It’s not the 40s. They are a fringe contender who isn’t the TV draw they used to be. Their ratings, if they stay on NBC, will only go down if there are two mega conferences putting on huge games every weekend. The ACC money is irrelevant, what is relevant is what if being paid explicitly to them to televise their games, which is $15 million from NBC. If they stay independent there is no ACC money. They will be kick to get $20 mill on a next independent contract. I agree Duke may get left out. The question of D1 lax in the SEC is interesting. It is very possible these conferences leave the NCAA, at least for football. What does that mean for Title IX? Wouldn’t it, at the drop of a hat, mean 85 fewer male scholarship athletes at each school, for Title IX purposes? Wouldn’t that free them up to add lax, if they have the money (they will now!) and the will (at least some will). Thoughts?
Football is the main driver for the current realignment, but I don’t think the SEC and B1G want to stop there.

College basketball is still a lucrative, profitable enterprise. I suspect the SEC and B1G also aspire to dominate college basketball. If the B1G can recruit UNC, Duke, and Virginia … all AAU members, that would place several marquee basketball programs under the B1G House. The SEC can poach Louisville from the ACC and Kansas from the Big12 (although some current SEC schools would not like that).

Basically, the B1G and SEC might not dominate college football alone … they may also want to dominate the “other” major revenue sport, college basketball. Imagine a joint B1G/SEC playoff system that turns the NCAA basketball tournament into another NIT—an old relic that no longer crowns the recognized national champion.

Why wouldn’t the B1G and SEC want it all?

As for Title IX, that still applies to any academic institution that receives federal dollars … which is everyone. Title IX requirements won’t disappear.

DocBarrister
Last edited by DocBarrister on Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:12 pm

DocBarrister

I agree with ggait … I can’t see how NBC can even get close to matching anything the B1G can leverage as a conference. Indeed, NBC may be in danger of getting shut out of major college football.

Notre Dame gets $15 million a year from NBC and $11 million a year from the ACC. That’s $26 million total. Who would pay Notre Dame anything close to $100 million a year as a stand-alone independent?

Just as Notre Dame cannot win on the football field by following tradition alone, there is no way Notre Dame can survive as an independent in the emerging new world of college football.

Notre Dame leadership is dealing with internal denial right now. The school’s leadership must confront reality sooner than later.

DocBarrister
lol. like you're in the middle of negotiations.

how bout this? over under 75 million per 1st 5 yrs (which i doubt b1g and company extends beyond).. you have the over... name your bet.

ftr and speaking for him, ggait absolutely did not say nd could not come close to a b1g contract.
Last edited by wgdsr on Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:19 pm
LaxFan2000 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:58 pm

DocBarrister 8-)
Stating it like it is a done deal :lol: . I guess as wgdsr stated, you know better than ALL of us. :roll:
I don’t know better than ALL of you. Just better than you and wgdsr, obviously.

DocBarrister ;)
This is STRAIGHT from Twitter from a short while ago.

ESPN is not trying to void a favorable TV deal that lasts for 12 more years and is already a bargain. Please stop.
Kevin Clark
@bykevinclark

Braden Keith
@Braden_Keith
SOURCE: North Carolina, Florida State, Clemson, and Virginia are all negotiating to join the SEC. ESPN is trying to void their TV deal with the ACC.

7hReplying to
@bykevinclark
Every single ACC school--every single one--would love for ESPN to void the deal. It is one of the most network-favorable deals on the planet. The idea ESPN would void it, take four schools and let the rest leave to negotiate with the Big Ten or the zombie Big/Pac 12 is bonkers.

Please stop thinking a bogus report from a college swimming website is FACT. :roll: :roll:
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:59 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

how bout this? over under 75 million per 1st 5 yrs (which i doubt b1g and company extends beyond).. you have under... name your bet.

ftr and speaking for him, ggait absolutely did not say nd could not come close to a b1g contract.
What’s laughable was your faith in grant-of-rights.

Your hypotheticals are completely meaningless unless you present some basic outline of the scenario.

For example, who is going to pay Notre Dame $75 million a year for media rights as a stand-alone independent? If you can’t propose a realistic scenario for that, why should we waste our time with your hypothetical?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:07 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:59 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

how bout this? over under 75 million per 1st 5 yrs (which i doubt b1g and company extends beyond).. you have under... name your bet.

What’s laughable was your faith in grant-of-rights.

Your hypotheticals are completely meaningless unless you present some basic outline of the scenario.

For example, who is going to pay Notre Dame $75 million a year for media rights as a stand-alone independent? If you can’t propose a realistic scenario for that, why should we waste our time with your hypothetical?

DocBarrister
so what's your bet, counselor? i have a pm if u want to hide it.
you've been throwing out 100m media rights as fact... i'm giving you o/u 75. let's goooo...
LongIslandLacks

Post by LongIslandLacks »

If this turns out to be true. Duke gets hit the worst. They need a home for bball, and have to make it work without Coach K. Men’s lacrosse at Duke gets dropped into a conference with much weaker lacrosse. UVA men’s lacrosse needs to find a home as well.
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:57 pm If this turns out to be true. Duke gets hit the worst. They need a home for bball, and have to make it work without Coach K. Men’s lacrosse at Duke gets dropped into a conference with much weaker lacrosse. UVA men’s lacrosse needs to find a home as well.
Nothing about the ACC to SEC rumors are true at this point. Reputable sources have been saying that this report has no legs. Too many people jumping to conclusions. Duke will always have a place in college athletics, regardless of what happens with this latest round of realignment.
LongIslandLacks

LaxFan2000 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:09 pm
LongIslandLacks wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:57 pm If this turns out to be true. Duke gets hit the worst. They need a home for bball, and have to make it work without Coach K. Men’s lacrosse at Duke gets dropped into a conference with much weaker lacrosse. UVA men’s lacrosse needs to find a home as well.
Nothing about the ACC to SEC rumors are true at this point. Reputable sources have been saying that this report has no legs. Too many people jumping to conclusions. Duke will always have a place in college athletics, regardless of what happens with this latest round of realignment.
Bball made Duke. If Duke bball fades like Georgetown bball faded after John Thompson’s runs with Ewing, Iverson, then Duke will forego millions of dollars to fund other sports. The “rumors” may be true or not. They make sense, frankly. ACC is weak compared to the dominant Big 10 and SEC. It’s clear now that the networks are driving the bus here.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

The Big East would be a very nice spot for Duke if the ACC ceases to exist.

De-emphasize football like UConn did, and drop into the BE for a great hoops conference and a very strong conference for non-revs.
LongIslandLacks

Wheels wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:30 pm
The Big East would be a very nice spot for Duke if the ACC ceases to exist.

De-emphasize football like UConn did, and drop into the BE for a great hoops conference and a very strong conference for non-revs.
Not doubting they’d find a place but whatever it is, it’s a step down from the current situation. The question is how far down.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”