Ivy League 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Stiffler wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:12 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:47 am
Stiffler wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:52 am
Bluecollar wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:21 pm Re: Penn.

I had heard that Handley, Gergar, Farrare, and Bond will return next year.

This seems true as Penn Men's twitter put out something today honoring their graduating players and none of the above players were in the photo. There were 14 seniors on the roster and just 10 in the photo.

If this is true, as it seems, Penn should be very strong again next year:

Points in ().

Attack: Rubin (27), Smith (29), Gergar (69) and Walsh (13) all return.
Mid: Handley (73), Furey (32), Shipley (23) all return, lose their second line though on a team that already lacked some depth here, but the incoming class has three 4-star mids and one 3-star mid, so hopefully they grow up fast.
FO: Big question mark here as Zusi was terrific, back up Arceri was at 40% this year, Palazzi was a top FO guy from HS and has been playing SSDM, maybe he can step in, they do have a 4-star frosh arriving, and there is a small chance of gaining someone via the portal, quick look shows Mullins (UNC), Kriss (Denver), Savage (Cuse) and Baker (Penn St).
Rope: Bond, Palazzi, Farrare (8) all return.
Def: Lavelle, Blake, Till, Kuehl all return, lose Lenz.
Goal: Carroll played well in relief of Burkinshaw early in the year, so hope he steps up.

And seems like incoming class with seven 4 stars and one 3 star arriving should add some depth.
Right now..Handley, Gergar, BJ and Bond are re-enrolling in the Spring. They will not participate in Fall ball or workouts. Big challenge for Murphy and staff to balance these guys dropping in for the Spring while the rest of the team gel's in the Fall thought workouts and Fall Ball. Will be very interesting to watch.
Thanks. Seems like each school has it’s own withdrawal policy. I am glad these kids can get in 4 years of Ivy League lacrosse.
Agree that the kids should get 4 years. Don't love that they will not be on campus and participating in Fall part of the program. I think it has the potential to be quite a strain on the team and coaches (as opposed to those 5th year guys who are enrolled and a part of the team all year), so we will see. As I said, interesting to observe how it is handled.
It will be fine.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

This seems true as Penn Men's twitter put out something today honoring their graduating players and none of the above players were in the photo. There were 14 seniors on the roster and just 10 in the photo.

Points in ().

Mid: Handley (73), Furey (32), Shipley (23) all return, lose their second line though on a team that already lacked some depth here, but the incoming class has three 4-star mids and one 3-star mid, so hopefully they grow up fast.
FO: Big question mark here as Zusi was terrific, back up Arceri was at 40% this year, Palazzi was a top FO guy from HS and has been playing SSDM, maybe he can step in, they do have a 4-star frosh arriving, and there is a small chance of gaining someone via the portal, quick look shows Mullins (UNC), Kriss (Denver), Savage (Cuse) and Baker (Penn St).
Goal: Carroll played well in relief of Burkinshaw early in the year, so hope he steps up.

And seems like incoming class with seven 4 stars and one 3 star arriving should add some depth.
Right now..Handley, Gergar, BJ and Bond are re-enrolling in the Spring. They will not participate in Fall ball or workouts. Big challenge for Murphy and staff to balance these guys dropping in for the Spring while the rest of the team gel's in the Fall thought workouts and Fall Ball. Will be very interesting to watch.
Thanks. Seems like each school has it’s own withdrawal policy. I am glad these kids can get in 4 years of Ivy League lacrosse.
Agree that the kids should get 4 years. Don't love that they will not be on campus and participating in Fall part of the program. I think it has the potential to be quite a strain on the team and coaches (as opposed to those 5th year guys who are enrolled and a part of the team all year), so we will see. As I said, interesting to observe how it is handled.
It's the only way the Ivies can compete with the transfer portal (which can't be gone soon enough for me - understanding that the players deserve 4 years of lax if they want it). It also enables the Ivy players to play their entire careers with their school of choice. They are, after all, college students who play lax and not lax players who go to college.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Chousnake wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:48 am

Points in ().

It's the only way the Ivies can compete with the transfer portal (which can't be gone soon enough for me - understanding that the players deserve 4 years of lax if they want it). It also enables the Ivy players to play their entire careers with their school of choice. They are, after all, college students who play lax and not lax players who go to college.
Naw dawg, it’s business yo. You just don’t get it.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:31 am

Points in ().

Pretty much. The players have a skill (time-limited) that they want to “monetize”. Always have, but now the BS is being stripped away. Who can blame them? Why would they be constrained by “tradition”?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:42 pm

Points in ().

Pretty much. The players have a skill (time-limited) that they want to “monetize”. Always have, but now the BS is being stripped away. Who can blame them? Why would they be constrained by “tradition”?
Agree, but…

Proving one has freedom doesn’t mean throwing away other considerations like long term relationships and other considerations that aren’t quantifiable in the shorter run and are hard to evaluate in the longer run in a dynamic model such as life. Only through trial and error.

Conversely I do agree there’s a time value component to the optionality.

Icarus didn’t exactly ease on into the veldt after flying to close to sun…
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:09 pm

Points in ().

Agree, but…

Proving one has freedom doesn’t mean throwing away other considerations like long term relationships and other considerations that aren’t quantifiable in the shorter run and are hard to evaluate in the longer run in a dynamic model such as life. Only through trial and error.

I didn’t say the monetization was for cash. What may have changed in player’s calculus is their faith in the long -term value of the deferred return on their investment of their youthful vigor and NCAA-constrained “time in the sun”.

Or, too put it more crudely, schools need to “put up or shut up”!

Daedalus was the man…🦉
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:17 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:09 pm

Points in ().

Agree, but…

I didn’t say the monetization was for cash. What may have changed in player’s calculus is their faith in the long -term value of the deferred return on their investment of their youthful vigor and NCAA-constrained “time in the sun”.

Or, too put it more crudely, schools need to “put up or shut up”!

Daedalus was the man…🦉
Fair enough.

Schools are like legacy junk credit rated industrial businesses being passed around by PE shops the way WuTan passes around a blunt. 15-25% will be gone in two decades…

https://www.educationnext.org/the-upsid ... nrollment/

https://hechingerreport.org/college-stu ... year-2025/
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Points in ().

I don't know what monetization you are referencing. The only way for an Ivy player to get the extra year at the school of his choice is to sit out a semester and extend his college into a 5th academic year. If a player wanted to attend Cornell and play for Cornell, it makes sense for them to do that rather than graduate and play the 5th year (4th season playing lax) for another school. Not everybody wants to play that extra year for another school. That is why you see players like Ierlan, Adler, Handley coming back to their undergraduate schools next year. So I'm not sure what BS is being stripped away or what they are monetizing in that scenario. If you mean their lax eligibility, and by staying with the Ivy League school they are paying extra tuition as opposed to playing the 5th year on scholarship, I think that might be the exception. 12.5 scholarships don't go that far .....
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:14 am Let's get this on the board.
Who leaves? (Including assistant coaches.)
Who is returning?
Whose incoming classes are the touts touting?
Who will make unfortunate uniform choices? (I maintain Dartmouth would have had some league wins if they went back to the classic football-style white hat with the forehead D & green stripes.)
Who will 'rob' ND & Duke of slots next year?
It looks like Dartmouth Football has also adopted a solid black uniform with a slim green stripe on the sleeve.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

faircornell wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:24 am
bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:14 am Let's get this on the board.
Who leaves? (Including assistant coaches.)
Who is returning?
Whose incoming classes are the touts touting?
Who will make unfortunate uniform choices? (I maintain Dartmouth would have had some league wins if they went back to the classic football-style white hat with the forehead D & green stripes.)
Who will 'rob' ND & Duke of slots next year?
It looks like Dartmouth Football has also adopted a solid black uniform with a slim green stripe on the sleeve.
Brown football has had a black uni for a while. It's so effing ugly they (the decision-makers, not the players) deserve their lack of success. Although maybe the kids like it?😳
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Regarding "who leaves," I have a thought experiment in relation to the transfer portal.

Engineering at Cornell used to be a 5-year degree leading to a BEng (Bachelor of Engineering) degree. It didn't cause too many problems with athletics because (a) freshmen were not eligible for varsity sports and (b) almost every engineering student had no time for varsity athletics. (Of course there were a few supermen who did both.)

But now, with COVID & the transfer portal, I could imagine students transferring into the 5th year of such a program. On the surface, this would not violate any IL rules because the 5th year is still an undergraduate degree. How do you think the IL would deal with such an end run?
Typical Lax Dad

Points in ().

I see Madronic is moving on. Not sure if he is the only kid in his Harvard class that passed on a 4th year of Ivy lacrosse for something else? Had always been his plan since COVID hit.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The second of 22 takeaways from the 2022 college season:

2. The Ivy League is Back
Many lacrosse pundits (Twitter) wrote off the Ivy League after the 2021 season was canceled. My group chats were filled with folks asking if the top athletes would still consider Penn, Yale, or Brown?

Sorry, Karen. The Ivy came back stronger than ever.

🐶The league brought in 42 four and five-star players from the 2021 class.
🐯The Ivies had a 35-10 non-conference record, best in the country.
🐻The Ivies earned six tournament bids, four teams in the quarterfinals, and two teams made it to championship weekend.

https://laxallstars.com/22-takeaways-fr ... se-season/

It should be fun to see how 2023 shakes out for the Ivy. I'm wondering if part of the reason Ivy freshmen were so successful in 2022 is that they played a full season of competitive lacrosse in 2021. I think that if Dartmouth gets an Ivy win in 2023, it may well go on to pick up a second. Six teams in the NCAA tourney will not be an easy thing to repeat; but again, it should be a lot of fun to see how 2023 goes. And it looks like today is the last day to nominate a 2022 game of the year. https://lacrossebucket.com/2022/06/10/w ... e-of-2022/
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

TY
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Typical Lax Dad

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:54 am Great story:

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... mark-ellis
+1. Excellent
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

Mark is just the epitome of a role model.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

LaxFan2000 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:57 pm

Mark is just the epitome of a role model.
Yeah, he sure sounds like a remarkable man. Princeton is lucky to have him working with all these young people.
Mr. Webber

Post by Mr. Webber »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:54 am Great story: https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... mark-ellis
Jerry Price is a national treasure. He is the best storyteller in the world of lacrosse and college athletics communications.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”