2022 Women’s Lacrosse World Championship

D1 Womens Lacrosse
njbill

Re: 2022 Women’s Lacrosse World Championship

Post by njbill »

Maybe they should just drop their sticks before they score. That should solve the problem. :roll:

One would hope the head of the officials would tell their crew to employ a little common sense, but I suspect that is asking too much.

BTW, I think there is zero chance any cheating (i.e., pulling strings post goal) is going on. In almost all instances, the camera is on the player from the time the goal is scored until the stick is dropped. You don’t see any strings being pulled.

In terms of whether sliding the stick along the ground can accomplish the same thing as pulling strings, I have no idea. My degree is in the law, not physics. I can’t figure out how they squeeze that big bright picture on my TV through that little wire that comes from a telephone pole outside my house.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

njbill wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:51 pm
In terms of whether sliding the stick along the ground can accomplish the same thing as pulling strings, I have no idea. My degree is in the law, not physics. I can’t figure out how they squeeze that big bright picture on my TV through that little wire that comes from a telephone pole outside my house.
I am not a doctor, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:58 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:51 pm
I am not a doctor, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

HAHAHA...Those commercials will live on Forever.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

There is a pretty good close up of the initial stick that was taken out of play, as it sits on the table on the sideline. I swear it looks like it has leather shooting strings, which I've never seen before, not even sure if that is legal? Anyway, something looks off with the pocket - not sure if they had it flagged ahead of time? Also interesting that it is a Gait head.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

njbill wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:46 pm What is with all these illegal sticks from North? Three so far in the tournament. I guess the international refs are haters, too. :roll: Uh, oh. Incoming diatribe from CO after he works on it for three weeks.
I shared a substantive post explaining why your take on North being chastised by her teammates was a fabrication. As per usual, you respond with an attack on me, not on the merits of the post. Someone with manners, confidence and integrity acknowledges when they are wrong. You were wrong on CN winning the Tewaaraton in each of the last two years and dead wrong on her making and excelling on the national team. As I’ve said many times, I don’t understand your odd obsession with criticizing this young woman. You don’t like how she plays. Got it. We all heard you the first 20 times you said that. Time to move on. You are embarrassing yourself further by imagining this chastising silliness.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:15 pm
njbill wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:46 pm What is with all these illegal sticks from North? Three so far in the tournament. I guess the international refs are haters, too. :roll: Uh, oh. Incoming diatribe from CO after he works on it for three weeks.
I shared a substantive post explaining why your take on North being chastised by her teammates was a fabrication. As per usual, you respond with an attack on me, not on the merits of the post. Someone with manners, confidence and integrity acknowledges when they are wrong. You were wrong on CN winning the Tewaaraton in each of the last two years and dead wrong on her making and excelling on the national team. As I’ve said many times, I don’t understand your odd obsession with criticizing this young woman. You don’t like how she plays. Got it. We all heard you the first 20 times you said that. Time to move on. You are embarrassing yourself further by imagining this chastising silliness.

And I don't understand your ODD problem with people who choose not to view Charlotte North the way that you and ONW do. What is your freaking issue? You DO NOT have to respond to everyone who disagrees with you. Simply chalk it up to them not seeing what you see...and keep it moving. You are NOT going to change Bill's mind about CN. He is simply not a fan of how she plays. I have told you this before, but you just will not accept that. Trying to humiliate him and others is not going to help you in the least.
Bill has manners and integrity...he just is not a CN fan. OKAY? Accept it and move on.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

https://www.tiktok.com/@fosslacrossellc ... v1&lang=en

https://www.tiktok.com/@fosslacrossellc ... v1&lang=en

I'm no CN expert but I have watched a LOT of CN celebrations over the last few years. Can't remember many like this. Looks pretty unnatural actually.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

8meterPA wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:27 pm There is a pretty good close up of the initial stick that was taken out of play, as it sits on the table on the sideline. I swear it looks like it has leather shooting strings, which I've never seen before, not even sure if that is legal? Anyway, something looks off with the pocket - not sure if they had it flagged ahead of time? Also interesting that it is a Gait head.
I can't imagine that an illegally strung stick would even make it into the game? The coaches/athlete have a vested interest in said stick being allowed in play, and I assume they're doing pre-game stick checks (but I could be wrong).
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:17 pm
8meterPA wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:27 pm There is a pretty good close up of the initial stick that was taken out of play, as it sits on the table on the sideline. I swear it looks like it has leather shooting strings, which I've never seen before, not even sure if that is legal? Anyway, something looks off with the pocket - not sure if they had it flagged ahead of time? Also interesting that it is a Gait head.
I can't imagine that an illegally strung stick would even make it into the game? The coaches/athlete have a vested interest in said stick being allowed in play, and I assume they're doing pre-game stick checks (but I could be wrong).
^^Agreed!! Totally confused on that part. And for North’s first goal, they called it no goal bc of her stick before they even checked it…
njbill

Post by njbill »

This rain is reminiscent of the 2017 final.
njbill

Post by njbill »

The Commissioner of Weather for this tournament gets an F so far.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Japan is playing really good defense, notwithstanding the score.

Treanor is such a master feeder. A lot of fun to watch.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

If i hear the Male commentator mention the no shot clock rule again i'm gonna pull my hair out. a few times is understandable for some potential new viewers but 10 times per quarter is a bit much.
DMac

Post by DMac »

:lol: :lol:
As it goes with Tewaaraton, can that ever be said without being followed by it's the equivalent to the Heisman?
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:41 pm
Can Opener wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:15 pm

And I don't understand your ODD problem with people who choose not to view Charlotte North the way that you and ONW do. What is your freaking issue? You DO NOT have to respond to everyone who disagrees with you. Simply chalk it up to them not seeing what you see...and keep it moving. You are NOT going to change Bill's mind about CN. He is simply not a fan of how she plays. I have told you this before, but you just will not accept that. Trying to humiliate him and others is not going to help you in the least.
Bill has manners and integrity...he just is not a CN fan. OKAY? Accept it and move on.
So let me see if I understand your rules. Someone can post outright lies about a player, but if I calmly explain why they are wrong, I am the bad guy. Let’s see if you have sufficient integrity to weigh in on the original fabrication. Do you think that CN was playing hero ball and was chastised by her teammates at the 13:20 mark of this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BnwrXi9epQ

For your reference, Bill’s original take on the play was this: “Did you notice in the first half of the game the other night when she went rogue and turned into me-first Charlotte? She scored, but her senior teammates, instead of hugging her as normally occurs after a goal, clearly were chastising her for selfish play. And then the coaches took her out shortly thereafter.”
Last edited by Can Opener on Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bart

Post by Bart »

njbill wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:56 pm Japan is playing really good defense, notwithstanding the score.

Treanor is such a master feeder. A lot of fun to watch.
Agreed. Score was lopsided but I thought Japan played well defensively. Just too many turnovers. They certainly are an athletic team.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

njbill wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:06 pm North played much better tonight. None of the ball hogging one on one from the Canada game. She worked to get open down low and her teammates found her. She is an excellent finisher when she plays like this. That’s the way the game is supposed to be played.

McCool again tonight, as she was against the Canadians, was the best player on the US team. She simply does everything well.

Treanor is the queen of distribution.

I still miss not having Tumolo on the team. Nobody is more fun to watch.

Even with all her physical limitations, the aged Dana Dobbie sure put on a show the other night. Senior citizen of the tourney so far.
I had a chance to re-watch the Canada game and can verify that there was no ball hogging going on. By my count, CN had about 30 touches in the game and more than 20 times she passed the ball. Five times she put the ball in the net (although one was waived off as time expired). Three of those netted shots came off nice dodges. That is part of the game and she is good at it. Dodging to score is an effective weapon, not only for North, but also for players like Apuzzo and Marie McCool. There is nothing wrong with dodging, unless it leads to excessive turnovers or poor shots, which it did not for CN in this game. The link to the video is below and I would be happy to engage in a substantive discussion about which of her moves constituted ball hogging. Also happy to consider other viewpoints about whether she was chastised by her teammates in the AU game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG4YGHY8pKE
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:12 am
njbill wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:06 pm North played much better tonight. None of the ball hogging one on one from the Canada game. She worked to get open down low and her teammates found her. She is an excellent finisher when she plays like this. That’s the way the game is supposed to be played.

McCool again tonight, as she was against the Canadians, was the best player on the US team. She simply does everything well.

Treanor is the queen of distribution.

I still miss not having Tumolo on the team. Nobody is more fun to watch.

Even with all her physical limitations, the aged Dana Dobbie sure put on a show the other night. Senior citizen of the tourney so far.
I had a chance to re-watch the Canada game and can verify that there was no ball hogging going on. By my count, CN had about 30 touches in the game and more than 20 times she passed the ball. Five times she put the ball in the net (although one was waived off as time expired). Three of those netted shots came off nice dodges. That is part of the game and she is good at it. Dodging to score is an effective weapon, not only for North, but also for players like Apuzzo and Marie McCool. There is nothing wrong with dodging, unless it leads to excessive turnovers or poor shots, which it did not for CN in this game. The link to the video is below and I would be happy to engage in a substantive discussion about which of her moves constituted ball hogging. Also happy to consider other viewpoints about whether she was chastised by her teammates in the AU game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG4YGHY8pKE
Friendly advice....Enough.
No one cares. It's such a stupid argument. CN is a great player. Is she the best player of all time? Everyone has their own opinion on that. Are there things about her game that deserve criticism? Everyone has their own opinion on that.

Let it go. It just pollutes the board with meaningless drivel.
DMac

Post by DMac »

This is an effort in futility, CO, you and njb just need to call a truce and agree to disagree because no one's mind is going to be changed. People often times/most times see what they want to see. I think it is unanimously agreed upon here that North is a fantastic lacrosse player. Some like her style of play and some don't, so be it. I am one who has always seen her as a bit hoggish and one who chokes the offense at times with her style of play. That video is not going to change my mind, I've watched her play plenty enough to form an opinion. There are plenty and plenty and plenty of times when the ball movement comes to a halt when it gets in Charolette's stick. The result might end with a goal so in a whole lot of people's minds that's all good but it doesn't change the fact that she's a 1v1 player for the most part, at which she does indeed excel. She turned a whole lot of people off (including me) with her post goal alpha ape dance early on in her career and I think there's a carry over of distaste because of that. It makes some see her differently and not in a good way. This big North debate became tiresome a long time ago, just watch and enjoy it, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of her.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

In my opinion Kayla Treanor is the most dynamic and versatile player in the world and she is as good as ever at age 28. Incredible stick work, insane lefty skills for a natural right hander, incredible vision and IQ etc. Oh - she also broke the NCAA draw record her senior year doing the draw for the first time. She led the team is scoring at the last World Games and was faceguarded by Canada in the final. As good as CN and players like Appuzzo are they are not on the same level with KT.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”