Rutgers 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Re: Rutgers 2023

Post by houndace1 »

Crease Crank wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:44 am
lorin wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:23 am
backerzone wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:01 am I think with Rutgers you need to go back to Kris Alleyne to find a non transfer goalie- so situation normal there.
One more year and Rutgers back to the bottom of big 10
As long as they keep beating Loyola and making you miserable, I’m for it!
Lorin is an Army fan. As a Loyola follower, our thread already has enough discourse from the last two seasons.

Keep on chugging along with the transfer portal success Rutgers! Only way from here is Up
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G

Post by 1766 »

Anthony Palma and Jones from Bryant are now in the fold. Both have been productive D1 players. Welcome aboard!
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Seems like Rutgers is striking out with offensive players. 2 ok goalies while the two beat goalies went to other programs and if the rumors are true they lost a goalie recently. Unless they pull something I think they may be in a little trouble.
Rolldins

Post by Rolldins »

Asgot wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:21 am Seems like Rutgers is striking out with offensive players. 2 ok goalies while the two beat goalies went to other programs and if the rumors are true they lost a goalie recently. Unless they pull something I think they may be in a little trouble.
I don’t really think theyre in need of additional offensive firepower. They have Sprock coming back, he and Knobloch will score plenty of goals from up top. Then on attack they have Scott and Cameron coming back. Im sure Kulas will be tough to beat out of that third attack spot, he has some skills for sure. Then I’ve heard there are some promising younger guys in the fold
lorin

Post by lorin »

Rolldins wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:54 am
Asgot wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:21 am Seems like Rutgers is striking out with offensive players. 2 ok goalies while the two beat goalies went to other programs and if the rumors are true they lost a goalie recently. Unless they pull something I think they may be in a little trouble.
I don’t really think theyre in need of additional offensive firepower. They have Sprock coming back, he and Knobloch will score plenty of goals from up top. Then on attack they have Scott and Cameron coming back. Im sure Kulas will be tough to beat out of that third attack spot, he has some skills for sure. Then I’ve heard there are some promising younger guys in the fold
Hudgins to Ohio makes them preseason # 2, you need more Offense.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

lorin wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:49 pm
He hasn’t played in 2 years and RU has been relatively dominant against OSU the last 2 years. Go worry about the patriot league.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Not saying I’d put OSU above RU for next year; but we just saw all the Ivy dudes not play in 2 years and it didn’t affect them one bit
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

They have Kulas who appears to be a finisher and not much of a carrier, Aimone and Civetti fill out the first middie line? We are going to see some frosh playing next year. You could see Kurdyla get time at midfield as well as Machea. They are goi g to have to go with a combo of the transfer ssdm and the young guys. Having to replace Gallagher, Bartolo, and Jacoby with those guys is going to be tough. That is why BB wanted some offensive punch out of the portal and he has struck out so far
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Going into 2022, people on this forum were picking RU behind Hopkins and Michigan...how’d that play out...yep!

OSU getting Huggins is a nice pick up. He’s very solid. Excellent cover guy. If you nit pick him a bit, he needs improvement in his handle...I’ve watched him play multiple times live and while he’s strong on ball, he can be a liability in the clear

When’s the last time OSU beat Rutgers? 2017? Rutgers has had OSU’s number for the last 4-5 years...see if that changes...it won’t because of one guy

RU has holes to fill. See what happens
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

I trust brecht will have Rutgers at #2 behind Maryland in the big ten. Truth is with the transfer portal, nobody can predict performance before they see how the transfers work in with the team. Just sayin'.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:47 pm
lorin wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:49 pm
He hasn’t played in 2 years and RU has been relatively dominant against OSU the last 2 years. Go worry about the patriot league.
He practice all year with team, he will be AA 1st team.
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

I have a question, and I'm not trying to be a jerk. But if you are a high school player, particularly a goalie, why would you consider Rutgers for lacrosse? With the focus and amount of transfers being brought in, the chances of developing as an underclassman and working your way into the lineup seem very remote. Looking at the transfer portal, there are two graduate student goalies coming in. What message is that sending to the younger goalies on the team or those considering Rutgers in the future? Same question holds for other positions. I know Rutgers isn't the only school with a lot of incoming transfers, but the amount did catch my eye. I also know that every position is open to competition every year. But whereas in most schools that competition is from current members and incoming freshman, now you are throwing significant numbers of graduate transfers and / or proven older players into the mix. It seems to me that the graduate transfers will simmer down in the next year of so (once the COVID eligibility pig-in-the-snake makes its way through), but the repercussions and message being sent to younger high school players may prove detrimental for years to come.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

PicLax wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:08 pm I have a question, and I'm not trying to be a jerk. But if you are a high school player, particularly a goalie, why would you consider Rutgers for lacrosse? With the focus and amount of transfers being brought in, the chances of developing as an underclassman and working your way into the lineup seem very remote. Looking at the transfer portal, there are two graduate student goalies coming in. What message is that sending to the younger goalies on the team or those considering Rutgers in the future? Same question holds for other positions. I know Rutgers isn't the only school with a lot of incoming transfers, but the amount did catch my eye. I also know that every position is open to competition every year. But whereas in most schools that competition is from current members and incoming freshman, now you are throwing significant numbers of graduate transfers and / or proven older players into the mix. It seems to me that the graduate transfers will simmer down in the next year of so (once the COVID eligibility pig-in-the-snake makes its way through), but the repercussions and message being sent to younger high school players may prove detrimental for years to come.
Bringing in Mullin from Harvard made sense (I wouldn't have minded if Hopkins grabbed him) as Kirst was finally graduating and while they have a highly ranked freshman coming in, he's still a freshman. But then bringing in the Stony Brook kid on top of that? Made absolutely no sense. Wildly unnecessary from a roster construction and culture standpoint. Not like he was an AA goalie whom they couldn't refuse.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Current culture at Rutgers is VERY strong. Taking on portal guys can be tricky. Rutgers has the formula right now. It’s really not debatable.

After last year, people questioned RU and how could they possibly take on more transfers...it won’t work, etc...

Well they just had the best season they’ve had EVER and to a man, they all credit culture and the willingness of other existing players welcoming in new guys and making them an instant part of the team...the culture is very very strong in NJ

When you commit to play big time lacrosse at places like MD, GTown, ND, Cuse, Rutgers, and really all ACC and Big Ten schools, you should know that competition will be great and you will always be in a position to be recruited over...it sucks...but it happened big time at Maryland last year. Georgetown...and yes Rutgers...so if it’s gonna impact Rutgers negatively, then the same will hold true for Maryland, Gtown, ND, Duke and others...right??

Portal is a tool that’s here now...it will flatten out a bit after next year...but parts and pieces will always be looking to move...and schools that get it will be ready to engage to get better

As far as next year for Rutgers...they will have a nice core...but they have a lot to replace...I’m willing to sit back and see how it plays out before making dumb predictions saying they’ll fall off a cliff...lots of people said that last year...

Rutgers is on the rise...facilities are great, alumni support has never been stronger, they have more talent coming in and seem to have gotten over a big hurdle the last two years. That doesn’t mean they make the tourney every year...but it does mean they know how to win as a program...and that helps
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:26 pm
PicLax wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:08 pm I have a question, and I'm not trying to be a jerk. But if you are a high school player, particularly a goalie, why would you consider Rutgers for lacrosse? With the focus and amount of transfers being brought in, the chances of developing as an underclassman and working your way into the lineup seem very remote. Looking at the transfer portal, there are two graduate student goalies coming in. What message is that sending to the younger goalies on the team or those considering Rutgers in the future? Same question holds for other positions. I know Rutgers isn't the only school with a lot of incoming transfers, but the amount did catch my eye. I also know that every position is open to competition every year. But whereas in most schools that competition is from current members and incoming freshman, now you are throwing significant numbers of graduate transfers and / or proven older players into the mix. It seems to me that the graduate transfers will simmer down in the next year of so (once the COVID eligibility pig-in-the-snake makes its way through), but the repercussions and message being sent to younger high school players may prove detrimental for years to come.
Bringing in Mullin from Harvard made sense (I wouldn't have minded if Hopkins grabbed him) as Kirst was finally graduating and while they have a highly ranked freshman coming in, he's still a freshman. But then bringing in the Stony Brook kid on top of that? Made absolutely no sense. Wildly unnecessary from a roster construction and culture standpoint. Not like he was an AA goalie whom they couldn't refuse.
follow up question here - but RU can't necessarily control which players transfer in, correct? Say they "recruited" Mullins to come - he commits. then the SB goalie says, "hey, i'll get my masters and compete to start" and comes in anyway. the coaching staff can't say NO, right? goalie is a tough position - there's only 1 starter per team. RU is bringing in a highly regarded recruit from boys' latin in the 22 class - he could potentially be a 4 or 4 year starter.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:28 am
follow up question here - but RU can't necessarily control which players transfer in, correct? Say they "recruited" Mullins to come - he commits. then the SB goalie says, "hey, i'll get my masters and compete to start" and comes in anyway. the coaching staff can't say NO, right? goalie is a tough position - there's only 1 starter per team. RU is bringing in a highly regarded recruit from boys' latin in the 22 class - he could potentially be a 4 or 4 year starter.
Of course tha staff can say no. They can not stop them from attending the school but if they wanted to play they would need to attend the open tryout. I know two kids who openly lobbied to transfer to RU and the were told no thank you.

Post by 1766 »

They don't have control of who transfers to the institution but they have complete control of who is on the team. Those two players are there because the staff wants them in program.

Mullin was the best transfer goalie in the portal. The SB goalie is highly regarded by the staff, in large part due to how he played against Rutgers.

Rutgers lost 3 goalies to graduation and brought two in. There are two highly regarded prospects coming in. One this fall and one the next. It will be a good competition to see play out. One thing is for sure, you can never have enough talent at any position. With as much scrimmaging in practice as the Knights do, having a good goalie room is imperative.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

1766 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:51 pm

They don't have control of who transfers to the institution but they have complete control of who is on the team. Those two players are there because the staff wants them in program.

Mullin was the best transfer goalie in the portal. The SB goalie is highly regarded by the staff, in large part due to how he played against Rutgers.

Rutgers lost 3 goalies to graduation and brought two in. There are two highly regarded prospects coming in. One this fall and one the next. It will be a good competition to see play out. One thing is for sure, you can never have enough talent at any position. With as much scrimmaging in practice as the Knights do, having a good goalie room is imperative.
Mullin was not the best Goalie in the portal it was the Dartmouth kid and then the LIU kid. And as such this class of goalies is not great

Post by 1766 »

We can agree to disagree on that. Coach Brecht got who he wanted. I'll trust his opinion.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

1766 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:34 pm We can agree to disagree on that. Coach Brecht got who he wanted. I'll trust his opinion.
Anyone who doesn’t believe that Mullin was the best transfer goalie available, never saw him play. Kyle was an absolute beast in net for Harvard. A big plus for Rutgers.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”