NCAA reorg imminent

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: NCAA reorg imminent

Post by jrn19 »

Big Ten isn't going to stand pat at 16. They're gonna go for Notre Dame, and probably get them, and if Stanford would like to jump on board they'll gladly take them. Oregon and Washington also could join as well. It's a race to 20 for the B1G and SEC. ACC is going to get raided
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:09 pm the crazy takes are only going to get hotter, folks!!!

the end of acc lacrosse! bc the domers, the only acc squad that (checks notes) has zero championships!

taking on umd and rutgers really changed everything in college sports!

i vividly remember almost a decade ago all the prognostications for the imminent death of nc$$ everything not b1g and sec. and yet, here we are.
If, as many expect, Notre Dame takes its entire show to the B1G, that leaves four “ACC” teams. Virginia, Syracuse, North Carolina, and Duke will continue playing lacrosse, of course, but they won’t be doing it in an ACC lacrosse conference. Even if “ACC” lacrosse continues, what purpose is there to a four-team conference?

Frankly, I think those four teams will soon be begging to join the B1G or SEC. I don’t think this mass consolidation is going to end with football. I suspect the B1G and SEC are also eyeing basketball dominance … essentially eliminating the NCAA from the picture.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Currently there is some talk of the ACC teams going to the B1G slong with a number of PAC 10 and other teams
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

jrn19 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:10 pm Big Ten isn't going to stand pat at 16. They're gonna go for Notre Dame, and probably get them, and if Stanford would like to jump on board they'll gladly take them. Oregon and Washington also could join as well. It's a race to 20 for the B1G and SEC. ACC is going to get raided
ACC has leverage, UNC and DUKE Basketball. The two premier programs in the sport.
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

OCanada wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:41 pm Currently there is some talk of the ACC teams going to the B1G slong with a number of PAC 10 and other teams
Is this actually verified? Source?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

LaxFan2000 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:46 pm
jrn19 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:10 pm Big Ten isn't going to stand pat at 16. They're gonna go for Notre Dame, and probably get them, and if Stanford would like to jump on board they'll gladly take them. Oregon and Washington also could join as well. It's a race to 20 for the B1G and SEC. ACC is going to get raided
ACC has leverage, UNC and DUKE Basketball. The two premier programs in the sport.
What's that got to do with the ACC having a horrific TV deal in comparison to the B1G or SEC? Texas and Oklahoma were two pretty big brands as well and bolted the Big 12 as soon as they could
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:34 pm Even if “ACC” lacrosse continues, what purpose is there to a four-team conference?
What purpose is there to a five-team conference?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:56 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:34 pm Even if “ACC” lacrosse continues, what purpose is there to a four-team conference?
This past year, there wasn’t any.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Post by 1766 »

Acc has zero leverage. Their basketball teams aren't moving the needle. Their media rights deal is not in the same ballpark as the SEC/B1G.

With USC/UCLA now officially in the Big Ten, the yearly payout per school is going to be at least 2x-3x what the Acc makes. It's not sustainable to compete with those programs if you aren't in one of those two conferences.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

1766 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:16 pm
Acc has zero leverage. Their basketball teams aren't moving the needle. Their media rights deal is not in the same ballpark as the SEC/B1G.

With USC/UCLA now officially in the Big Ten, the yearly payout per school is going to be at least 2x-3x what the Acc makes. It's not sustainable to compete with those programs if you aren't in one of those two conferences.
Doesn’t help that UNC and Duke are in small media markets, although they are obviously national brands in basketball.

The thing about USC/UCLA … they are bringing the entire Southern California media market to the B1G (24 million people, give or take).

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:56 pm
wow, this is an ironic thread.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:34 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:09 pm the crazy takes are only going to get hotter, folks!!!

the end of acc lacrosse! bc the domers, the only acc squad that (checks notes) has zero championships!

i vividly remember almost a decade ago all the prognostications for the imminent death of nc$$ everything not b1g and sec. and yet, here we are.
If, as many expect, Notre Dame takes its entire show to the B1G, that leaves four “ACC” teams. Virginia, Syracuse, North Carolina, and Duke will continue playing lacrosse, of course, but they won’t be doing it in an ACC lacrosse conference. Even if “ACC” lacrosse continues, what purpose is there to a four-team conference?

Frankly, I think those four teams will soon be begging to join the B1G or SEC. I don’t think this mass consolidation is going to end with football. I suspect the B1G and SEC are also eyeing basketball dominance … essentially eliminating the NCAA from the picture.

DocBarrister
thanks, this is exactly what i meant.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

the acc's 1st contract in 2012 was for 12 years with look ins @ 2017 and 2022. they tore up the contract and got a new one in 2016.
this new one has look ins every 5 years, but i believe they pushed the 1st one out (to this year?) because the acc network had a late launch and comcast just came on board.

they also had all schools sign a pretty ironclad grant of rights in 2015 or 2016. there isn't just one possible scenario here, no matter how much fans of other conferences want it so.
Last edited by wgdsr on Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:25 pm

DocBarrister
ACC will be raided, and will then need to merge with at least one other conference.

There is already speculation of the remnants of the PAC12 merging with whatever remains of the Big12. Whatever remains of the ACC may want to join that PAC12/Big12 conference.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:38 pm

DocBarrister
ACC will be raided, and will then need to merge with at least one other conference.

There is already speculation of the remnants of the PAC12 merging with whatever remains of the Big12. Whatever remains of the ACC may want to join that PAC12/Big12 conference.

DocBarrister
any stock tips?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:40 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
any stock tips?
What’s interesting is that Duke and UVA as institutions really aren’t built to try and keep up with the jones’ in the football world. It wouldn’t surprise me to see them realign - but it also wouldn’t surprise me to see them shift away from top tier football entirely should the ACC dissolve - that would create an interesting dynamic in non revenue sports.

Post by 1766 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:37 pm

the acc's 1st contract in 2012 was for 12 years with look ins @ 2017 and 2022. they tore up the contract and got a new one in 2016.
this new one has look ins every 5 years, but i believe they pushed the 1st one out (to this year?) because the acc network had a late launch and comcast just came on board.

they also had all schools sign a pretty ironclad grant of rights in 2015 or 2016. there isn't just one possible scenario here, no matter how much fans of other conferences want it so.

The Big 12 has a GOR. That didn't stop Texas and Oklahoma. It won't stop Acc schools who want out either.

Unc and Uva bring new markets and fit the profile of Big Ten schools. Those are two schools I wouldn't be shocked if they moved. The other piece from an Acc standpoint is Notre Dame. Their football independence just got squeezed significantly.
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

You are exactly right. The Grant of Rights extends to 2036. The exit fee is $52 Million. The ACC is still in good shape for now. Like you said, Duke and UNC Basketball more than move the needle. I don't get why people don't understand that the very top of of College Basketball (Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, Duke, etc) matter very much. As much if more than some middling Power 5 Football program.
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:40 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
any stock tips?
:lol:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

1766 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:03 pm

The Big 12 has a GOR. That didn't stop Texas and Oklahoma. It won't stop Acc schools who want out either.

Unc and Uva bring new markets and fit the profile of Big Ten schools. Those are two schools I wouldn't be shocked if they moved. The other piece from an Acc standpoint is Notre Dame. Their football independence just got squeezed significantly.
the sooners' and texas deal was thru 2025:
https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/f ... -11eb-9cb5
so really... not at all similar, maybe even a reason for their delay.
notre dame did not get squeezed today. maybe that changes tomorrow. it's usc and ucla. again, all of this times 1000 is what people insisted was happening 8 or 9 years ago.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”