Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
cltlax

Re: Recruiting

Post by cltlax »

user1020 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:48 pm All of the top 10 commits in the class of 2022 are going to the final 4 teams. Is that a sign that these players recruit the best or that recruits to these schools get rated higher?
That's the issue I've always had with the McDonald's All-American basketball game. The players are chosen for the game after they've committed to schools. Not surprisingly, Duke, Carolina, Kentucky, etc. always have a ton of McD All-Americans.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

cltlax wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:26 pm
user1020 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:48 pm All of the top 10 commits in the class of 2022 are going to the final 4 teams. Is that a sign that these players recruit the best or that recruits to these schools get rated higher?
That's the issue I've always had with the McDonald's All-American basketball game. The players are chosen for the game after they've committed to schools. Not surprisingly, Duke, Carolina, Kentucky, etc. always have a ton of McD All-Americans.
Lax Politics
BCLax24

Post by BCLax24 »

tothedraw wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:54 pm
BCLax24 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:48 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:26 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:09 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:08 am
Testudo98 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:46 am Do you mean Summer Agostino? Did she enter the portal?
Duh yes Agostino! I edited that ^
Is she in the portal. She was their #1 recruit. I guess I expected to see more of her .
She played a bit, but not much, which surprised me. I have seen nothing to suggest she is in the portal.
We saw less of Annabelle Hasselbeck this year too. Whether or not both Summer and Annabelle were dealing with injuries or something else, IMO BC quietly had a bit of the same problem UNC did - lots of depth in certain areas of the field: Bell & Ryan Smith, Martello, Weeks, Taylor, Annie Walsh, & Reynolds. I know Schleicher and Taylor are listed as defenders on the roster, but I felt they were more d-middies than low defenders.

Regardless, I have always felt the "recruiting accolades", while nice, are awards given for play at the high school level and that is the context within which they should be looked. The slate gets wiped clean when they step on campus. Each program plays a different style, has different coaches, and has different needs based on graduation & injuries. The game itself is different. For the most part, a decent amount of kids that are highly touted will make an immediate or early impact, but there are no guarantees. That's also without even acknowledging that both recruits and coaches can be wrong about a player being a good fit for the program or school.
Testudo98 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:46 am Do you mean Summer Agostino? Did she enter the portal?
Is she in the portal. She was their #1 recruit. I guess I expected to see more of her .
She played a bit, but not much, which surprised me. I have seen nothing to suggest she is in the portal.
We saw less of Annabelle Hasselbeck this year too. Whether or not both Summer and Annabelle were dealing with injuries or something else, IMO BC quietly had a bit of the same problem UNC did - lots of depth in certain areas of the field: Bell & Ryan Smith, Martello, Weeks, Taylor, Annie Walsh, & Reynolds. I know Schleicher and Taylor are listed as defenders on the roster, but I felt they were more d-middies than low defenders.

Regardless, I have always felt the "recruiting accolades", while nice, are awards given for play at the high school level and that is the context within which they should be looked. The slate gets wiped clean when they step on campus. Each program plays a different style, has different coaches, and has different needs based on graduation & injuries. The game itself is different. For the most part, a decent amount of kids that are highly touted will make an immediate or early impact, but there are no guarantees. That's also without even acknowledging that both recruits and coaches can be wrong about a player being a good fit for the program or school.

I definitely agree it was disappointing that we didn’t see more from Agostino this year. She showed a lot of promise from the little that we did see from her. I also thought we’d see more from Mallory Hasselbeck, but she was stuck behind North and Medjid on the depth chart.

As far as Agostino goes, our midfield depth chart is a complete logjam, with Smith, Martello, and Cassidy Weeks demanding the bulk of the minutes. Where I thought we could’ve seen more Agostino was on the second line, however. Andrea Reynolds and Ryan Smith saw the bulk of those minutes, but neither of them proved particularly impressive in my opinion. Hopefully Summer and other younger options like Annabelle can work their way into the rotation next season.
Martello is really an attacker(listed as a middie) and started there with Medjid, North and Mossman. Davis came out of the box ro play O with B Smith/Weeks or Reynolds/Smith/Walsh combos- M Hasselbeck got the nod occasionally, less so as season went on. Welch, Taylor, Schleicher, Scales and Roman were the 5 defenders - with one of them coming out of the box as Davis ran off- but all 5 started. AWW looked to only play 2 2 way middies at a time.

I assume Davis will fill Mossman's spot and M Hasselbeck North's - O middie spot now open. Courtney Weeks will be back from injury. So you've got ;B Smith, Weeks,Weeks, R Smith, Reynolds, Walsh, Hasselbeck,Agostino, and Besson fighting for 5-6 spots. D middie and D spot open- Welch, Taylor gone. Incoming Baker and Herod both play midfield but I think one is going to play D and the other focus on draws.

Lots of things can change but it's going to be very tough for some girls to get on that field in the next couple years.

Well said, I think this sums up the depth chart pretty well.

Is Mossman definitely moving on? I assumed medjid and the weeks sisters would be back, but I was unsure with mossman and Hall. If she’s gone then I think Besson slots in perfectly as a fellow lefty attacker.

On defense, it definitely could be the incoming middies that you referenced. I also think Sophia Taglich could be in the mix coming into her senior year, and Michaela O’Connor seems to be pretty highly regarded as an incoming recruit as I believe she’ll be playing in the Under Armour senior game next month.
BCLax24

Post by BCLax24 »

Kleizaster wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:05 pm
BCLax24 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:00 pm As a BC fan, I found it interesting that you think that their upcoming recruiting class is stronger than Maryland’s. If you go by Inside Lacrosse’s rankings, Maryland is bringing in the top recruit (Edmondson), as well as numbers 5,6, and 17. For BC, they’re bringing in numbers 4,7,12, and 18.

I love this incoming class for Boston College, (Ava Besson their top recruit has some of the best stick skills I’ve ever seen, and Shea Dolce looks like an absolute stud in net). But at least according to the IL rankings, which are the only ones I’m aware of, Maryland’s class looks slightly stronger. Either way both classes have crazy potential and are definitely among the top ones in the country along with UNC’s.

As far as which tier 2 team could soon breakout, I’m very high on the team that Stanford is building. Ashley Humphrey was probably the best freshman in the country this year, leading the nation in assists (88). They also have a ton of other young talent around her, with 3 of their top 4 scorers this year being freshmen or sophomores. They lost in the opening round of the tournament this year to Jacksonville, but I think they have the potential to make a serious run in the next couple of years.f
IL rankings while great, don't really take into account recent form. I watched a couple of the Mcdonogh games and they struggled at times for all the insane talent they had on the field. Edmondson is not really a QB type. that role fell more to Caroline Godine who's also really good. Edmonson reminds me of a better and faster Kerrigan Miller when she was coming out of high school. i'm a big fan of this class as well for BC. IL will prob rank Maryland ahead but i like some of the lower ranked BC players. Shea Dolce and Ava Besson among my favs. The top 20 is always a crapshoot anyways.
That’s fair, I don’t think there’s necessarily a ton of work that goes into their rankings. They go way deeper on the mens side.

Who do you like outside of Besson and Dolce? Obviously Baker and Herod are the other five stars and O’Conner is joining the four of them at the UU All-America game.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

BCLax24 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:54 pm
tothedraw wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:54 pm
BCLax24 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:48 am

I definitely agree it was disappointing that we didn’t see more from Agostino this year. She showed a lot of promise from the little that we did see from her. I also thought we’d see more from Mallory Hasselbeck, but she was stuck behind North and Medjid on the depth chart.

As far as Agostino goes, our midfield depth chart is a complete logjam, with Smith, Martello, and Cassidy Weeks demanding the bulk of the minutes. Where I thought we could’ve seen more Agostino was on the second line, however. Andrea Reynolds and Ryan Smith saw the bulk of those minutes, but neither of them proved particularly impressive in my opinion. Hopefully Summer and other younger options like Annabelle can work their way into the rotation next season.
Martello is really an attacker(listed as a middie) and started there with Medjid, North and Mossman. Davis came out of the box ro play O with B Smith/Weeks or Reynolds/Smith/Walsh combos- M Hasselbeck got the nod occasionally, less so as season went on. Welch, Taylor, Schleicher, Scales and Roman were the 5 defenders - with one of them coming out of the box as Davis ran off- but all 5 started. AWW looked to only play 2 2 way middies at a time.

I assume Davis will fill Mossman's spot and M Hasselbeck North's - O middie spot now open. Courtney Weeks will be back from injury. So you've got ;B Smith, Weeks,Weeks, R Smith, Reynolds, Walsh, Hasselbeck,Agostino, and Besson fighting for 5-6 spots. D middie and D spot open- Welch, Taylor gone. Incoming Baker and Herod both play midfield but I think one is going to play D and the other focus on draws.

Lots of things can change but it's going to be very tough for some girls to get on that field in the next couple years.

Well said, I think this sums up the depth chart pretty well.

Is Mossman definitely moving on? I assumed medjid and the weeks sisters would be back, but I was unsure with mossman and Hall. If she’s gone then I think Besson slots in perfectly as a fellow lefty attacker.

On defense, it definitely could be the incoming middies that you referenced. I also think Sophia Taglich could be in the mix coming into her senior year, and Michaela O’Connor seems to be pretty highly regarded as an incoming recruit as I believe she’ll be playing in the Under Armour senior game next month.
I had heard Mossman was not returning but Hall was ?

Maybe Besson gets the O mid spot Davis played? Two lefty's is a bonus.

Would be nice if Taglich gets a chance for that D spot. Shea Baker is a very fast player and great on GB's - hockey player. Adapting to play D at that level is no small task though, big learning curve.

All I know is there are very few open spots in that starting roster and lots of players who want them.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

BCLax24 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:10 pm
BCLax24 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:00 pm As a BC fan, I found it interesting that you think that their upcoming recruiting class is stronger than Maryland’s. If you go by Inside Lacrosse’s rankings, Maryland is bringing in the top recruit (Edmondson), as well as numbers 5,6, and 17. For BC, they’re bringing in numbers 4,7,12, and 18.

I love this incoming class for Boston College, (Ava Besson their top recruit has some of the best stick skills I’ve ever seen, and Shea Dolce looks like an absolute stud in net). But at least according to the IL rankings, which are the only ones I’m aware of, Maryland’s class looks slightly stronger. Either way both classes have crazy potential and are definitely among the top ones in the country along with UNC’s.

As far as which tier 2 team could soon breakout, I’m very high on the team that Stanford is building. Ashley Humphrey was probably the best freshman in the country this year, leading the nation in assists (88). They also have a ton of other young talent around her, with 3 of their top 4 scorers this year being freshmen or sophomores. They lost in the opening round of the tournament this year to Jacksonville, but I think they have the potential to make a serious run in the next couple of years.f
IL rankings while great, don't really take into account recent form. I watched a couple of the Mcdonogh games and they struggled at times for all the insane talent they had on the field. Edmondson is not really a QB type. that role fell more to Caroline Godine who's also really good. Edmonson reminds me of a better and faster Kerrigan Miller when she was coming out of high school. i'm a big fan of this class as well for BC. IL will prob rank Maryland ahead but i like some of the lower ranked BC players. Shea Dolce and Ava Besson among my favs. The top 20 is always a crapshoot anyways.
That’s fair, I don’t think there’s necessarily a ton of work that goes into their rankings. They go way deeper on the mens side.

Who do you like outside of Besson and Dolce? Obviously Baker and Herod are the other five stars and O’Conner is joining the four of them at the UU All-America game.
Michaela O' connor and Lila Trussell. Both multi sport athletes. If i've learned anything watching lacrosse my whole life, those skills translate extremely well. Trussell is like 6ft tall. she stands out. I think BC is in a good shape. I didn't like points last year where they became overly relient on CN. I think once Belle Smith settles in they'll have really good chemistry and they'll be able to just plug and play players and not miss a beat with so much depth. UNC did this last year and even when they had an off game other teams became too gassed to finish them off
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Can confirm Mossman is definitely not returning for her 5th year.
BCLax24

Post by BCLax24 »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:30 pm
BCLax24 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:10 pm

Michaela O' connor and Lila Trussell. Both multi sport athletes. If i've learned anything watching lacrosse my whole life, those skills translate extremely well. Trussell is like 6ft tall. she stands out. I think BC is in a good shape. I didn't like points last year where they became overly relient on CN. I think once Belle Smith settles in they'll have really good chemistry and they'll be able to just plug and play players and not miss a beat with so much depth. UNC did this last year and even when they had an off game other teams became too gassed to finish them off

I really like O’Conner too she profiles as a dominant defensive player who has the potential to be a turnover machine. Trussell doesn’t stand out to me too much though. I’ve only only seen her highlight videos, but besides her height and potential on the draw, she doesn’t seem like anything special in my opinion.
BCLax24

Post by BCLax24 »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:13 pm Can confirm Mossman is definitely not returning for her 5th year.
And do we know about Rachel Hall? I wouldn’t mind if she moved on in all honesty, because of the giant potential in Shea Dolce.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

BCLax24 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:17 am
Lax101 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:13 pm Can confirm Mossman is definitely not returning for her 5th year.
And do we know about Rachel Hall? I wouldn’t mind if she moved on in all honesty, because of the giant potential in Shea Dolce.

I've watched Dolce play a number of times(once in Person at Moorestown). What is the potential you see in her? How good do you think she can be?
BCGold

Post by BCGold »

Thanks for the BC info, always appreciated

Mildly surprised by Mossman not returning, but look forward to seeing the new talent step up!
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Rachel Hall is coming back. Assume she will compete with Dolce for the starting job. Perhaps they split time early in the year until the better goalie is identified.
BCLax24

Post by BCLax24 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:25 am

I've watched Dolce play a number of times(once in Person at Moorestown). What is the potential you see in her? How good do you think she can be?

She’s been an extremely productive goalie at Darien. Obviously it’s hard to compare high school to top tier division 1, but I think if she can put it all together she can
be an elite college goalie at the highest level.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

With all the talk on here about how misleading IL's recruiting rankings are, I decided to look at the old lists and see just how true it was. Looked at 2017 first, since almost every player in it is done. Broke it down into the categories of multi-time All American, AA, All-Conference, multi-year starter and then contributor. Contributor was pretty loose, as it ranged from played outside of garbage time to only had one year starting. I also included a "missed" categories for players who never made significant on-field contributions. It doesn't mean they were bad players, just never really saw the field for whatever reason. Below is the list. The ones with asterisks just means that's the school that put them in a certain category.
Multi-Time AA: Andie Aldave, #1, Notre Dame*/North Carolina
Jamie Ortega, #2, North Carolina
Ally Mastroianni, #3, North Carolina
Kyla Sears, #4, Princeton
Charlotte North, #14, Duke/Boston College*
Shannon Kavanagh, #20, Florida
Livy Rosenzweig, #40, Loyola
Bridget Deehan, #47, Notre Dame
Ally Palermo, WL, Northwestern
AA: Ali Baiocco, #11, Stanford
Riley Hertford, #12, USC
Kelsey Huff, #13, USC
Scottie Rose Growney, #15, North Carolina
Grace Griffin, #16, Maryland
Zoe Belodeau, #18, Penn
Catriona Barry, #22, Duke
Marge Donovan #24, Princeton
Brennan Dwyer, #27, Northwestern
Jill Girardi, #33, Northwestern
Sabrina Cristodero, #36, Florida*/Hofstra
Grace Haus, #38, Florida
Sam Fiedler, #43, Loyola
Lauren Gilbert, WL, Northwestern
Kaitlyn, Larsson, WL, Loyola
Arielle Weismann, WL, Michigan
All-Conference:Shelby Harrison, #5, Johns Hopkins
Sam Swart, #7, Syracuse
Hannah Cermack, #8, Lehigh (BC commit but never played)
Mollie Miller, #17, Georgetown
Sam Fish, #26, Princeton
Liz Scott, #34, Loyola/California*
Taylor Pinzone, #37, Northwestern/Arizona State*
Caroline Blalock, WL, Louisville
Haley Connaughton, WL, Massachusetts
Kaitlyn Dabkowski, WL, Florida
Haley Dillon, WL, Stony Brook
Kathleen Garvey, WL, Johns Hopkins
Ashlyn McGovern, WL, Virginia
Quinn Nicolai, WL, Penn State/Temple*
Multi-Year Starter: Catie May, #6, Maryland
Olivia Smith, #19, Penn
Katie Cosgrove, #28, Duke
Keegan Barger, #29, Johns Hopkins
Sophia Triandafilis, #31, Penn State
Olivia Jensen, #42, Cornell
Kayla Wood, #46, North Carolina
Sophie Baez, WL, Ohio State
Kate Brewster, WL, Delaware
Katie Checkosky, WL, James Madison
Kelsey Dunn, WL, Yale
Griffin Gearhardt, WL, Vanderbilt
Charlotte Haggerty, WL, James Madison
Diana Kelly, WL, Notre Dame
Elli Kluegel, WL, Loyola
Abby Landry, WL, Duke
Samantha McGee, WL, Saint Joseph’s/Colorado
Olivia Pugh, WL, Princeton
Tessa Queri, WL, Harvard*/Syracuse
Taylor Regan, WL, Virginia/Penn State
Hailey Ricciardi, WL, Dartmouth
Alyssa Sloane, WL, Penn State
Allyson Trice, WL, Syracuse/Pittsburgh
Contributor: Chloe Jones, #8, Virginia/Pittsburgh*
Molly Carter, #21, Syracuse*/Pittsburgh
Emily Vengilio, #25, Penn State/Stony Brook*
Laurie Bracey, #32, Maryland
Halle Graham, #35, Virginia
Courtney Renehan, #39, Maryland/UMBC*
Taylor McDaniels, #41, North Carolina
Eddy Shoop, #44, Florida
Aby Ngai, #48, Boston College
Katie Cronin, WL, Duke
Hannah Hollingsworth, WL, Rutgers
Kate Love, WL, Penn State
Grace Paletta, WL, Cornell
Jillie Quevedo, WL, Virginia
Riley Ricciardi, WL, Dartmouth
Rachel Rosen, WL, Penn State
Grace Rotondo, WL, Harvard
Missed: Hannah Van Middelem, #10, Syracuse
Kylie Davis, #23, Maryland
Kaci Messier, #30, Notre Dame
Marianna Salvatori, #45, Stanford
Kenzie Harris, #49, Syracuse
Kate Kotowski, #50, North Carolina
Nicole Alecce, WL, James Madison
Mackenzie, Baker, WL, Syracuse
Lila Barker, WL, Virginia
Brittany Chamberlain, WL, Arizona State
Lizzy Doherty, WL, Notre Dame
Courtney Hutchinson, WL, USC
Emma Knaus, WL, Stanford
Jordan Marcus, WL, Princeton
Laura Murphy, WL, Penn
Claire Nappi, WL, North Carolina
Cailee Perettine, WL, Boston College
Katie Railey, WL, Virginia
Brooke Robbins, WL, Maryland
Maggie Root, WL, Maryland
Gabriela Vasile, WL, Duke
Some takeaways:
-Obviously some players didn't live up to their rankings, but 79 out of 100 ranked/watch list players reached at least contributor level, including 44 of the 50 ranked players. That seems pretty good. There's no way to project how good everyone will be, but with this many players having success at some level, it's safe to say ILWomen has some idea what they're doing.
-UNC got their money's worth out of this class, especially at the top
-Northwestern had some great finds relative to their ranking. Could say the same about Loyola.
-Not as inflated from the COVID years as I expected. Only four got bumped up a tier from it.
-There was a LOT of talent in this class. Looking ahead to 2018, I don't think they've reached these heights.
May put these out for 2018-21 over the next few weeks. Takes a lot of work, but was fun to see what IL got right and wrong.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

jff97 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:33 pm With all the talk on here about how misleading IL's recruiting rankings are, I decided to look at the old lists and see just how true it was. Looked at 2017 first, since almost every player in it is done. Broke it down into the categories of multi-time All American, AA, All-Conference, multi-year starter and then contributor. Contributor was pretty loose, as it ranged from played outside of garbage time to only had one year starting. I also included a "missed" categories for players who never made significant on-field contributions. It doesn't mean they were bad players, just never really saw the field for whatever reason. Below is the list. The ones with asterisks just means that's the school that put them in a certain category.

Some takeaways:
-Obviously some players didn't live up to their rankings, but 79 out of 100 ranked/watch list players reached at least contributor level, including 44 of the 50 ranked players. That seems pretty good. There's no way to project how good everyone will be, but with this many players having success at some level, it's safe to say ILWomen has some idea what they're doing.
-Northwestern had some great finds relative to their ranking. Could say the same about Loyola.
-Not as inflated from the COVID years as I expected. Only four got bumped up a tier from it.
-There was a LOT of talent in this class. Looking ahead to 2018, I don't think they've reached these heights.
May put these out for 2018-21 over the next few weeks. Takes a lot of work, but was fun to see what IL got right and wrong.
Thank you for the effort you put into this. :D
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:36 pm
jff97 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:33 pm With all the talk on here about how misleading IL's recruiting rankings are, I decided to look at the old lists and see just how true it was. Looked at 2017 first, since almost every player in it is done. Broke it down into the categories of multi-time All American, AA, All-Conference, multi-year starter and then contributor. Contributor was pretty loose, as it ranged from played outside of garbage time to only had one year starting. I also included a "missed" categories for players who never made significant on-field contributions. It doesn't mean they were bad players, just never really saw the field for whatever reason. Below is the list. The ones with asterisks just means that's the school that put them in a certain category.

Some takeaways:
Seconded!!!
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:41 pm

Some takeaways:
Seconded!!!
Spot on. Always found the IL rankings are worthless/dumb arguments a bit narrow. These were all projections made based on their highschool and club careers. I've looked at other years as well and this still holds serve. Considering the limited scouts they have and the fact that they manage these rankings pretty accurately is impressive. Alot of this i attribute to Halley Griggs who is an excellent evaluator of talent. We'll see how the rankings change in her absence with Cometti now being the chief evaluator
Bart

Post by Bart »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:29 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:41 pm

Some takeaways:
Seconded!!!
Spot on. Always found the IL rankings are worthless/dumb arguments a bit narrow. These were all projections made based on their highschool and club careers. I've looked at other years as well and this still holds serve. Considering the limited scouts they have and the fact that they manage these rankings pretty accurately is impressive. Alot of this i attribute to Halley Griggs who is an excellent evaluator of talent. We'll see how the rankings change in her absence with Cometti now being the chief evaluator
This is an interesting list/discussion. The only true way to actually evaluate it is to assess the number of players not on any such list whom made these type of contributions.
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

E Trenchard from UNC not ranked coming out of HS and became 4 year starter & 4 time AA.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Sunnylax wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:14 am E Trenchard from UNC not ranked coming out of HS and became 4 year starter & 4 time AA.
That's the one glaring miss I noticed. I'm sure there are more, it just takes a lot more time to check that than it does to go through a list. Too much work for me ;)

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”