Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by molo »

For what it’s worth, when Petro missed a few games a few years ago due to an undisclosed illness, it was Dwan, not Benson who filed in as acting head coach.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:22 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:00 pm By the way, did everything end ok between Pietramala and Dwan?

I recall an interview with Petro and while he was effusive in his praise of Benson, he basically said Dwan had been along for the ride. Not my words, but Petro’s.

Always thought that was a bit odd. But now Dwan’s son is going to play for Syracuse so ….

DocBarrister
this again from you? no, he did not basically say that. maybe move along.
https://pressboxonline.com/2021/02/11/c ... ietramala/

See at 2:36 of the video. Later, after the 5 minute mark, he discusses how he was the DC at Hopkins and how, if he had another chance to be head coach, he would hire “two coordinators.”

Maybe if Pietramala let Bill Dwan actually run his defense (after stealing Matt’s playbook), he would still be the head coach at Hopkins.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:04 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:00 pm By the way, did everything end ok between Pietramala and Dwan?

I recall an interview with Petro and while he was effusive in his praise of Benson, he basically said Dwan had been along for the ride. Not my words, but Petro’s.

Always thought that was a bit odd. But now Dwan’s son is going to play for Syracuse so ….

DocBarrister

See at 2:36 of the video. Later, after the 5 minute mark, he discusses how he was the DC at Hopkins and how, if he had another chance to be head coach, he would hire “two coordinators.”

Maybe if Pietramala let Bill Dwan actually run his defense (after stealing Matt’s playbook), he would still be the head coach at Hopkins.

DocBarrister
the guy asks him about the different records from earlier on to the last 4 or 5 years.
petro replies quickly re: whole staff, tierney being there early and benson later, dwan "along for the ride the whole time" and then mentions the ops guy probably. he's also not effusive about benson in contrast.

the whole quote was about timeline and response to a question. which you have entirely taken out of context now twice. 1st time i didn't even have to hear it to know you were lying.

only an idiot with half a brain or someone with an agenda would not understand this and put it out as something else. ipso facto little dwan is going to cuse.

the only real drama here is we don't know for sure which category you're in. or probably both.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:26 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
the guy asks him about the different records from earlier on to the last 4 or 5 years.
petro replies quickly re: whole staff, tierney being there early and benson later, dwan "along for the ride the whole time" and then mentions the ops guys probably. he's also not effusive about benson in contrast.

the whole quote was about timeline and response to a question. which you have entirely taken out of context now twice. 1st time i didn't even have to hear it to know you were lying.

only an idiot with half a brain or someone with an agenda would not understand this and put it out as something else. ipso facto little dwan is going to cuse.

the only real drama here is we don't know for sure which category you're in. or probably both.
You need to stop insulting other forum members. If you disagree, fine. Your juvenile behavior doesn’t further the discussion. It also violates forum rules. If you can’t control your behavior, take a break until you can.

I do not ever consider “along for the ride” to be a compliment. In addition, virtually every coach whom I have seen wear the “Associate Head Coach” hat is also a coordinator or, in the case of college football, in charge of specific units (e.g., QB coach, LB coach, etc.). From everything I have read, players would have run through a brick wall for Bill Dwan. Don’t understand why Petro never let him run the defense as DC.

Nevertheless, as I alluded to in my original post, Dwan’s son is going to play D at Syracuse under Pietramala. Can’t imagine that would happen if they weren’t getting along.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:03 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
petro replies quickly re: whole staff, tierney being there early and benson later, dwan "along for the ride the whole time" and then mentions the ops guys probably. he's also not effusive about benson in contrast.

You need to stop insulting other forum members. If you disagree, fine. Your juvenile behavior doesn’t further the discussion. It also violates forum rules. If you can’t control your behavior, take a break until you can.

I do not ever consider “along for the ride” to be a compliment. In addition, virtually every coach whom I have seen wear the “Associate Head Coach” hat is also a coordinator or, in the case of college football, in charge of specific units (e.g., QB coach, LB coach, etc.). From everything I have read, players would have run through a brick wall for Bill Dwan. Don’t understand why Petro never let him run the defense as DC.

Nevertheless, as I alluded to in my original post, Dwan’s son is going to play D at Syracuse under Pietramala. Can’t imagine that would happen if they weren’t getting along.

DocBarrister
lol. grow up. you don't get to attack other forum posters when u feel like it and then cry foul to mommy.
and if you are going to misrepresent public figures (should i start a poll thread on the interpreration of what was said?) you can take what's coming to you.

in all likelihood, you wouldn't know bill or matt and how they operate past a photo op. doubt that ever happened either.

would you know that bill took on a lot of ceo-head coach's-normal-roles ? of course not. but you beat the drum for years. just go back to pom poms on jhu recruits.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:16 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:03 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
lol. grow up. you don't get to attack other forum posters when u feel like it and then cry foul to mommy.
and if you are going to misrepresent public figures (should i start a poll thread on the interpreration of what was said?) you can take what's coming to you.

in all likelihood, you wouldn't know bill or matt and how they operate past a photo op. doubt that ever happened either.

would you know that bill took on a lot of ceo-head coach's-normal-roles ? of course not. but you beat the drum for years. just go back to pom poms on jhu recruits.
I suggest you take a break. Come back when you regain some self-control and decorum.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

you're the best, maybe only after a good comedy show.

and i suggest in response that you at a minimum understand word comprehension or at least don't grind your axes on a public forum. great, wish lists!!
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:06 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:42 am
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:19 pm
It is a story about a kid who committed to Syracuse. Seems like you are a Petro fan and not a Hopkins lacrosse fan. Its fine. Go with it. YOLO. Go Orange!
What kind of reception do you expect the Blue Jays to get next spring when they step into the Dome?
There will be fewer Syracuse fans cheering for the Blue Jays than there were Hopkins "fans" cheering for Syracuse during last season's game.
I expect the Cuse team to be super fired up after Petro's locker room speech. Don't see the Jays pulling out a win up there next year, and don't see a win at Ridley. Even if the Jays can beat Navy and Delaware in 2023, they'll pretty much end up in the same sub-.500 category unless they soften the schedule. At this point, it's worth a try.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

this is hell
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:32 am
It is a story about a kid who committed to Syracuse. Seems like you are a Petro fan and not a Hopkins lacrosse fan. Its fine. Go with it. YOLO. Go Orange!
What kind of reception do you expect the Blue Jays to get next spring when they step into the Dome?
There will be fewer Syracuse fans cheering for the Blue Jays than there were Hopkins "fans" cheering for Syracuse during last season's game.
I expect the Cuse team to be super fired up after Petro's locker room speech. Don't see the Jays pulling out a win up there next year, and don't see a win at Ridley. Even if the Jays can beat Navy and Delaware in 2023, they'll pretty much end up in the same sub-.500 category unless they soften the schedule. At this point, it's worth a try.
Nothing against our program but Syracuse had an awful season, the game should be in cuse not homewood, we're not a top 5, 10, 20 program on their schedule, he's an assistant not their head coach, this is not going to be a top 5 storyline for them next season.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:47 pm you're the best, maybe only after a good comedy show.

and i suggest in response that you at a minimum understand word comprehension or at least don't grind your axes on a public forum. great, wish lists!!
I don't think you should have used the word "lying" in this instance. Nor the "idiot with half a brain" comment. Nor your subsequent retorts.

Word comprehension also implicates word choice, and your word choices, at least IMO, were 'over the top'. Unnecessary to make your (IMO valid) point as to what Dave meant by that comment. It's a different interpretation, not "lying". Your word choices, in that exchange, are, IMO, overly confrontational, emotional, and insulting.

That said, I agree with you that Dave's meaning was very likely simply that Bill was there for the entire period, rather than something intended as derogatory. Dave's word choice was awkward, leaving open the negative interpretation. Awkward happens.

The interesting part (at least to me) of the actual topic is the question as to why Dave didn't make different organizational decisions along the way...we can speculate, and that's probably fine fodder for the forum, but I don't think we'll ever really know.

Certainly, it doesn't at least seem to be anything about disregard between these two men and their families.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

So Petro didn't give a locker room speech last year? Let's assume he did. How did that work out. Couldn't have anything to do with a talented roster being held back a figurehead head coach and a mediocre D-coordinator, could it?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:34 pm
So Petro didn't give a locker room speech last year? Let's assume he did. How did that work out. Couldn't have anything to do with a talented roster being held back a figurehead head coach and a mediocre D-coordinator, could it?
Home field advantage is huge. Anyway, Cuse looks like a team that's improving. Hop not so much. Losing Epstein, DeSimone, Keogh, Kirson, Mcmanus?....not sure who replaces all that although I am a Marcille fan. Plus, unless Crawley can really change the culture, Jays have a dysfunctional staff that doesn't seem to get along well. Just seems right now that the two programs are heading in different directions.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:29 pm Home field advantage is huge. Anyway, Cuse looks like a team that's improving. Hop not so much. Losing Epstein, DeSimone, Keogh, Kirson, Mcmanus?....not sure who replaces all that although I am a Marcille fan. Plus, unless Crawley can really change the culture, Jays have a dysfunctional staff that doesn't seem to get along well. Just seems right now that the two programs are heading in different directions.
Cuse was 4-10 and loses Dordevic, Curry, Kennedy, and Phaup. That is a much stronger and more impactful group than the one you listed for us. If that was our record this year and we were losing those kind of players and people were accusing the head coach of being an absent figurehead and the defense was playing at a high school level you'd be calling for the Hague to investigate Gait and bring up their AD for war crimes. This forum would never hear the end of your grousing.

Their incoming freshman class is rated highly but there is very little actual evidence to suggest they are "headed in a different direction." In fact the mass exodus people thought we'd see from Homewood is actually happening up at the Dome. Check the transfer portal thread.

Whether or not the talent we have coming in on offense, combined with Crawley's arrival, will be enough to invigorate the O to the point we're competing toward the top again is a legitimate question but Cuse has just as many if not more questions to answer about its roster, culture, and coaching staff. They quite literally had the worst defense in the country in 2022 among serious programs and they're losing their top defender and FOGO. The help they have coming in is mostly on offense. So not much in the way of obvious, tangible "improvement" beyond what's in your imagination.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

Disagree on the calling the cuse portal a "mass exodus" as it is basically all reserve or semi-reserve players who are leaving aside from Dordevic, but besides that spot on! We indeed do currently suck! Hop just won last year and totally have a chance to win next year as does anyone! Lighten up hopkins faithful!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

I expect both Syracuse and Hopkins to improve next season.

Good talent coming into both programs this year.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
LaxDad1967

Post by LaxDad1967 »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:06 pm I expect both Syracuse and Hopkins to improve next season.

DocBarrister
I mean they can’t really take a step back! They were both way below their respective standards
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

LaxDad1967 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:07 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:06 pm I expect both Syracuse and Hopkins to improve next season.

DocBarrister
I mean they can’t really take a step back! They were both way below their respective standards
Well … “can’t” is a strong word.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:46 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:29 pm Home field advantage is huge. Anyway, Cuse looks like a team that's improving. Hop not so much. Losing Epstein, DeSimone, Keogh, Kirson, Mcmanus?....not sure who replaces all that although I am a Marcille fan. Plus, unless Crawley can really change the culture, Jays have a dysfunctional staff that doesn't seem to get along well. Just seems right now that the two programs are heading in different directions.
Cuse was 4-10 and loses Dordevic, Curry, Kennedy, and Phaup. That is a much stronger and more impactful group than the one you listed for us. If that was our record this year and we were losing those kind of players and people were accusing the head coach of being an absent figurehead and the defense was playing at a high school level you'd be calling for the Hague to investigate Gait and bring up their AD for war crimes. This forum would never hear the end of your grousing.

Their incoming freshman class is rated highly but there is very little actual evidence to suggest they are "headed in a different direction." In fact the mass exodus people thought we'd see from Homewood is actually happening up at the Dome. Check the transfer portal thread.

Whether or not the talent we have coming in on offense, combined with Crawley's arrival, will be enough to invigorate the O to the point we're competing toward the top again is a legitimate question but Cuse has just as many if not more questions to answer about its roster, culture, and coaching staff. They quite literally had the worst defense in the country in 2022 among serious programs and they're losing their top defender and FOGO. The help they have coming in is mostly on offense. So not much in the way of obvious, tangible "improvement" beyond what's in your imagination.
Syracuse does have two UA All American defenders coming in as well as an UA All American goalie. They have eight total players picked for the game. I have no idea how these kids will pan out but I think it’s better to have highly ranked recruits commit to your school than not.

The exodus comment isn’t really accurate. Dordevic is a huge loss there is no getting around it. But outside of him there was maybe two players who would have seen time next year in Corsi and Savage. And if you take a closer look at the Transfer Portal thread you’ll see two impressive additions in Simmons and Kirst. They don’t make up for Dordevic but they do make the team better.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:37 amthis is hell
"Hell is....other Hopkins fans"- JP Sartre ;)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”