SCOTUS

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: SCOTUS

Post by youthathletics »

In simplest terms?

AOC: the right to our bodies does not belong to nine Supreme Court justices

SCOTUS: that's literally what we said
Last edited by youthathletics on Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:41 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:14 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:55 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:27 am :lol: You need our money for your pension, my man. And Pete's government education. And where do you think the money for the Academies, the shiny helmets and bombs comes from?

We're good, and then some. You need us more than we need you. Well...unless Canada invades.
I'd have made more had I left when I could & flown for the airlines.
That pension didn't cover the taxes on my second career income & investments.
Sniff.....
My pension was helpful & I'm grateful to have survived to receive it. Some keyboard warriors have the mis-perception that vets can survive on just a military pension. Most service members must retire after 20 years of service (typical age 38-45) & start a second career. At that age most still have a mortgage, kids & must pay a premium for their health care until they reach age 65. Their pension is 50% of their base pay (excluding housing & subsistence allowance & incentive pay). The current amount : E-6 $2,206/mo, E-7 $2,516/mo, O-4 $4,402/mo.
That's a significant pay cut (approx 65%) when suddenly unemployed & starting a second career at middle age with typical family obligations.
I was fortunate to have an immediately marketable skill & we prepared for the drop in income.
Most vets are not so fortunate. Fortunately, I have a spouse who is an "earner" & is as frugal as me.

I ain’t never heard the guys I know that went in the military or other government job and “retire”after 20 years complain about being done under paid. Most double dip.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:24 pm In simplest terms?

Yeah, but you need to fill in what's implied here.

1. The Constitution doesn't protect your body from the Government. The Government

2. The SCOTUS just told you that YOUR STATE now has sovereignty over your body, and gets to make your choices for you.

Dunno, my man. Seem to remember whole MESS of complaining from your team during Covid about how #2 is wrong.

Is the deal that you only complain about #2 when it applies to you, personally?

Or is your team telling us that you don't really care all that much about making sure that women have the same rights that you enjoy? ;)

Sure would be nice to have just ONE abortion related law from you guys that shows that you're serious about the subject.

Make giving a woman an unwanted pregnancy a felony, mandatory 5 years in prison. Start there. Now men are on the hook for this sh*t.

Bet unwanted pregnancies would plummet. And that's your team's goal with this stuff, right?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:31 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:27 am :lol: You need our money for your pension, my man. And Pete's government education. And where do you think the money for the Academies, the shiny helmets and bombs comes from?

We're good, and then some. You need us more than we need you. Well...unless Canada invades.
Sniff.....
My pension was helpful & I'm grateful to have survived to receive it. Some keyboard warriors have the mis-perception that vets can survive on just a military pension. Most service members must retire after 20 years of service (typical age 38-45) & start a second career. At that age most still have a mortgage, kids & must pay a premium for their health care until they reach age 65. Their pension is 50% of their base pay (excluding housing & subsistence allowance & incentive pay). The current amount : E-6 $2,206/mo, E-7 $2,516/mo, O-4 $4,402/mo.
That's a significant pay cut (approx 65%) when suddenly unemployed & starting a second career at middle age with typical family obligations.
I was fortunate to have an immediately marketable skill & we prepared for the drop in income.
Most vets are not so fortunate. Fortunately, I have a spouse who is an "earner" & is as frugal as me.

I ain’t never heard the guys I know that went in the military or other government job and “retire”after 20 years complain about being done under paid. Most double dip.
If they were complainers they would not have lasted long enough to qualify for a pension.
I did not bring it up. I was responding to passive aggressive cheap shots about receiving a military pension.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:45 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:31 pm

Sniff.....

If they were complainers they would not have lasted long enough to qualify for a pension.
I did not bring it up. I was responding to passive aggressive cheap shots about receiving a military pension.
Yes. I said “They” weren’t complaining.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Sniff.....
I think you're downplaying this quite a bit, salty. Starting a new career at middle age as a marketable commodity with 20+ years experience and your mortgage and car payments covered (I don't know if they still get free health benefits at the VA or not) aint really a bad deal. None of those people are starting out at minimum wage with no pot to pizz in. I think most are higher ranking than E-6 or 0-4 after 20 years too. Your situation isn't all that common, to most that retirement check adds a real comfort zone...hey, it'll even pay for your kid's travel team.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Yup.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:12 am

Sniff.....
I think you're downplaying this quite a bit, salty. Starting a new career at middle age as a marketable commodity with 20+ years experience and your mortgage and car payments covered (I don't know if they still get free health benefits at the VA or not) aint really a bad deal. None of those people are starting out at minimum wage with no pot to pizz in. I think most are higher ranking than E-6 or 0-4 after 20 years too. Your situation isn't all that common, to most that retirement check adds a real comfort zone...hey, it'll even pay for your kid's travel team.
“The military estimates that the net present value of its pension at retirement is around $200,000 for an enlisted soldier and $700,000 for an officer. (Recall, however, that the payouts are guaranteed for life, so the risk-adjusted value is worth much more.) This is enough for a basic living on its own, or more commonly used to supplement veterans’ earnings in their second careers. But only 17% of active duty members stick around long enough to collect it.”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:18 am

1. The Constitution doesn't protect your body from the Government. The Government

2. The SCOTUS just told you that YOUR STATE now has sovereignty over your body, and gets to make your choices for you.

Dunno, my man. Seem to remember whole MESS of complaining from your team during Covid about how #2 is wrong.

Sure would be nice to have just ONE abortion related law from you guys that shows that you're serious about the subject.

Make giving a woman an unwanted pregnancy a felony, mandatory 5 years in prison. Start there. Now men are on the hook for this sh*t.

Bet unwanted pregnancies would plummet. And that's your team's goal with this stuff, right?
The state is made up by whom? millions of votes or 9 people?

Sorry, I just do not understand the relationship you are assigning between covid vs abortion and the SCOTUS?

You missed the point, there need not be a law from "our" side presented to the SCOTUS, they literally ruled it should be left up to the states. And I believe "our" side has already implied "our" stance...its why those states have made such law with provisions.

I'd think you'd be thrilled, that the SCOTUS got something right. The took 45 years of an incorrect ruling and corrected it, based on the US Constitution.

The latter part of your argument I am in agreement with, on premise...which is another topic for discussion. I did get beat up pretty bad on these threads when arguing my case after Texas changed course. In short, my entire stance was about 'accountability' and knowing that a having an abortion his limitation, may very well make the two parties strongly consider their behavior. Much like real life, there are consequences to your actions....and the idea, is that the looming penalty of a poor choice makes you reconsider the choice.

Neither of us will walk away winners, but the hope is that we 'straighten up and fly right" as my Dad often told me. Or, boy "use your head for something besides a hat rack". :lol: Have a great week.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Dozens of SCOTUS justices ruled over the past several decades that Roe WAS a correct decision.

Conservative ideologues - using INCREDIBLY thin reasoning - changed all that...after lying thru their teeth about "respecting precedent".

It's despicable.

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

dislaxxic wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:48 am Dozens of SCOTUS justices ruled over the past several decades that Roe WAS a correct decision.

Conservative ideologues - using INCREDIBLY thin reasoning - changed all that...after lying thru their teeth about "respecting precedent".

It's despicable.

Not just incredibly thin, but reasoning that when carried to its logical conclusion means that pretty much any outcome a group of five justices want politically can be had by finding the wording or lack thereof in either the constitution or how the law was practiced at the time of the formation of the constitution.

They have just guaranteed that politics will be a hallmark of any decision.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

failed state
noun
a state whose political or economic system has become so weak that the government is no longer in control.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:37 am
a fan wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:18 am

The state is made up by whom? millions of votes or 9 people?

Sorry, I just do not understand the relationship you are assigning between covid vs abortion and the SCOTUS?

You missed the point, there need not be a law from "our" side presented to the SCOTUS, they literally ruled it should be left up to the states. And I believe "our" side has already implied "our" stance...its why those states have made such law with provisions.

I'd think you'd be thrilled, that the SCOTUS got something right. The took 45 years of an incorrect ruling and corrected it, based on the US Constitution.

The latter part of your argument I am in agreement with, on premise...which is another topic for discussion. I did get beat up pretty bad on these threads when arguing my case after Texas changed course. In short, my entire stance was about 'accountability' and knowing that a having an abortion his limitation, may very well make the two parties strongly consider their behavior. Much like real life, there are consequences to your actions....and the idea, is that the looming penalty of a poor choice makes you reconsider the choice.

Neither of us will walk away winners, but the hope is that we 'straighten up and fly right" as my Dad often told me. Or, boy "use your head for something besides a hat rack". :lol: Have a great week.
I think you are missing multiple very good points raised by a fan. I'm not poking you. I'm trying to make a few points about this clear.

Bodily autonomy: Masks mandates are the nazification of America. Government controlling/impeding/influencing a woman's body and reproductive choices, doctor-patient relationship, economic choices for her and her family, potentially for decades to come are OK.

State Legislatures: This is the place where reproductive rights/autonomy/choice will be determined -- government will decide the scope and manner of regulation of pregnant women. Some states -- OK and Missouri -- have already criminalized virtually any termination of a pregnancy, extending the criminalization to include not only the pregnant woman, but providers, physicians, etc.

Alito's opinion also has a nifty postscript near the end. He and the five-member majority tell the lower courts that their review of the decisions of those legislatures will be exceptionally deferential, subject to the least rigorous, least searching, least skeptical of the judicial tests, so-called “rational basis review” – the same test used to evaluate legislative imposition of price controls on agricultural goods. In other words, the five-member majority is plainly telling legislatures that the field is clear, and that the lower courts will not have much of any basis to contradict what the legislatures decide. If the state legislature decides that the termination of a pregnancy is unlawful from conception, and a criminal offense thereafter, the Supreme Court has already pre-signaled its review and tacit order to the lower courts to stand down and defer to the legislative majorities in the various states. In Oklahoma and at least several other states, this will mean that once a women is pregnant, the state will take nearly plenary control over her body, her personal decision-making in respect to her job, family planning and the economics of her home, her relationship with her Ob-Gyn, and the next many years of her life. A pregnant woman, in this regime, is simply (to paraphrase Plessy and Brown) separated and unequal.

The Court has, in my view anyway, killed itself as an institution with this decision -- but that didn't matter to the activists who pushed extremists like Alito, Thomas and Barrett, in particular, on to the Court.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:12 am

Sniff.....
“The military estimates that the net present value of its pension at retirement is around $200,000 for an enlisted soldier and $700,000 for an officer. (Recall, however, that the payouts are guaranteed for life, so the risk-adjusted value is worth much more.) This is enough for a basic living on its own, or more commonly used to supplement veterans’ earnings in their second careers. But only 17% of active duty members stick around long enough to collect it.”
Update -- in 1986, retirement pay for 20 years of service was reduced from 50% to 40% of base pay.
https://www.military.com/militaryadvant ... t-shortage
With an Air Force pilot shortage that has hit 2000, and commercial airlines in a hiring boom, service leaders are brainstorming ways to address a deepening crisis, eyeing improved financial incentives and a host of administrative actions to improve quality of life for aviators and their families.

For the long term, Air Force recognizes it has to widen its pilot training pipeline by 25 percent to address stiffening competition for pilots nationwide.
Navy and Marine Corps also are taking special steps to retain more experienced pilots but, so far, those service branches haven’t seen the exodus of mid-career pilots battering the Air Force, particularly its fighter aircraft community.

Aviation community managers are used to seeing pilot retention issues rise and fall based on various factors including hires by airlines, pace of military operations or the relative pull of aviation bonuses. But current pilot shortages for Air Force are acute and expected to grow.

A recent Congressional Research Service report said the sharp rise in airline hires reflects industry expansion to meet passenger demand. Fleets of commercial aircraft are expected to double in size over the next 20 years. In the past three years, major air carriers have been forced to raise pilot salaries by 20 percent to fill their cockpits. Meanwhile, a large percentage of airline pilots, possibly 40 percent, will reach mandatory retirement age of 65 in the next 10 years.

Other factors drive Air Force pilot attrition, however. In exit surveys, pilots are citing cultural issues that affect their quality of life and their service time including “dissatisfaction with excessive duties unrelated to flying and inability to maintain work-life balance,” said CRS in its report.

Pilots hired by airlines soon have compensation packages that far exceed what the military could offer. Aviators also know that the sooner they accept industry jobs, the sooner they set their seniority number for the airlines. “They know that thousands more pilots will be in the pipeline behind them, which is going to directly relate to their quality of life in terms of schedules and aircraft they fly. It’s all based on seniority in the airline industry,” said Koscheski.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:14 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:12 am

Sniff.....
Update -- in 1986, retirement pay for 20 years of service was reduced from 50% to 40% of base pay.
https://www.military.com/militaryadvant ... t-shortage
With an Air Force pilot shortage that has hit 2000, and commercial airlines in a hiring boom, service leaders are brainstorming ways to address a deepening crisis, eyeing improved financial incentives and a host of administrative actions to improve quality of life for aviators and their families.

For the long term, Air Force recognizes it has to widen its pilot training pipeline by 25 percent to address stiffening competition for pilots nationwide.
Navy and Marine Corps also are taking special steps to retain more experienced pilots but, so far, those service branches haven’t seen the exodus of mid-career pilots battering the Air Force, particularly its fighter aircraft community.

Aviation community managers are used to seeing pilot retention issues rise and fall based on various factors including hires by airlines, pace of military operations or the relative pull of aviation bonuses. But current pilot shortages for Air Force are acute and expected to grow.

A recent Congressional Research Service report said the sharp rise in airline hires reflects industry expansion to meet passenger demand. Fleets of commercial aircraft are expected to double in size over the next 20 years. In the past three years, major air carriers have been forced to raise pilot salaries by 20 percent to fill their cockpits. Meanwhile, a large percentage of airline pilots, possibly 40 percent, will reach mandatory retirement age of 65 in the next 10 years.

Other factors drive Air Force pilot attrition, however. In exit surveys, pilots are citing cultural issues that affect their quality of life and their service time including “dissatisfaction with excessive duties unrelated to flying and inability to maintain work-life balance,” said CRS in its report.

Pilots hired by airlines soon have compensation packages that far exceed what the military could offer. Aviators also know that the sooner they accept industry jobs, the sooner they set their seniority number for the airlines. “They know that thousands more pilots will be in the pipeline behind them, which is going to directly relate to their quality of life in terms of schedules and aircraft they fly. It’s all based on seniority in the airline industry,” said Koscheski.
…..Reduced to 40% to offset the 401K type match that was implemented. Not sure what you are poor mouthing about. I said nobody that I know complained about retiring after 20 years in. Lived in a town where one of the few opportunities was on am Air Force Base. My best friend retired from the USAF and went into private security.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:17 am …..Reduced to 40% to offset the 401K type match that was implemented. Not sure what you are poor mouthing about. I said nobody that I know complained about retiring after 20 years in. Lived in a town where one of the few opportunities was on am Air Force Base. My best friend retired from the USAF and went into private security.
Not poor mouthing at all. Responding to the cheap shot that our money " is needed to pay for "your pension".
...& pointing out I could have earned much more had I gotten out at the end of my initial obligation.
Last edited by old salt on Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:22 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:17 am …..Reduced to 40% to offset the 401K type match that was implemented. Not sure what you are poor mouthing about. I said nobody that I know complained about retiring after 20 years in. Lived in a town where one of the few opportunities was on am Air Force Base. My best friend retired from the USAF and went into private security.
Not poor mouthing at all. Responding to the cheap shot that tax dollars were needed to pay for it.
I didn’t bring up tax dollars (this time). Another colleague’s son is a top gun fighter pilot. I am going to ask him how quickly is he leaving (if he hasn’t already) to go to work for United.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:25 am
Not poor mouthing at all. Responding to the cheap shot that tax dollars were needed to pay for it.
I didn’t bring up tax dollars (this time). Another colleague’s son is a top gun fighter pilot. I am going to ask him how quickly is he leaving (if he hasn’t already) to go to work for United.
Read the thread before you butted in. I was responding to the cheap shot that " our money " is needed to pay for "your pension".
...& pointing out I could have earned much more had I gotten out at the end of my initial obligation.
I hope your friends kid stays in. He'll enjoy himself much more.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Without the constancy of binding precedent, the nation’s legal terrain will devolve into a hodge-podge of variance by state caprice.

The “United” states will cease to be. Amusingly enough, the most desirous of this reduced, marginal state will be the rural, economically depressed.

Perhaps the more accurate dystopian vision for the future is “The Hunger Games”, not “The Handmaid’s Take”, although the former does not preclude the latter.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:27 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:25 am
Read the thread before you butted in. I was responding to the cheap shot that " our money " is needed to pay for "your pension".
I hope your friends kid stays in. He'll enjoy himself much more.
Like I said, I didn’t mention “our money” (this time).

Return to “POLITICS”