Conservative Ideology: A Big Lie

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Conservative Ideology

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

:roll: :roll: :roll:

same gal: https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/c ... g/2409325/

I watched the video and would agree that she likely misread her speech, but she did so without flinching, said it and then applauded herself as did others in the crowd...she didn't correct the mistake though she obviously knew what words she had spoken. "white life"...somehow, that made sense to her...

Maybe she's just a very "dim bulb" to quote our gator troll, maybe that explains her Hitler comment...I dunno...
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

At best it was a Freudian slip. But fits _perfectly_ with her other purported politics and prior quotes.

This whole anti-abortion push was dreamed up back in the late 70s/early 80s by guys like Paul Weyrich and Jerry Falwell as a means of giving the white evangelicals something to fight about other than the dogwhistled anti-integration feelings that were no longer as openly allowed.

See, for example of the long history of connection between conservative evangelical Christians and the Klan in Gospel According to the Klan: The KKK's Appeal to Protestant America, 1915-1930 by Kelly Baker.

Or https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ns-107133/ - The Real Origins of the Religious Right.
But the abortion myth quickly collapses under historical scrutiny. In fact, it wasn’t until 1979—a full six years after Roe—that evangelical leaders, at the behest of conservative activist Paul Weyrich, seized on abortion not for moral reasons, but as a rallying-cry to deny President Jimmy Carter a second term. Why? Because the anti-abortion crusade was more palatable than the religious right’s real motive: protecting segregated schools. So much for the new abolitionism.

When the Roe decision was handed down, W. A. Criswell, the Southern Baptist Convention’s former president and pastor of First Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas—also one of the most famous fundamentalists of the 20th century—was pleased: “I have always felt that it was only after a child was born and had a life separate from its mother that it became an individual person,” he said, “and it has always, therefore, seemed to me that what is best for the mother and for the future should be allowed.”

Although a few evangelical voices, including Christianity Today magazine, mildly criticized the ruling, the overwhelming response was silence, even approval. Baptists, in particular, applauded the decision as an appropriate articulation of the division between church and state, between personal morality and state regulation of individual behavior. “Religious liberty, human equality and justice are advanced by the Supreme Court abortion decision,” wrote W. Barry Garrett of Baptist Press.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:23 pm :roll: :roll: :roll:

I watched the video and would agree that she likely misread her speech, but she did so without flinching, said it and then applauded herself as did others in the crowd...she didn't correct the mistake though she obviously knew what words she had spoken. "white life"...somehow, that made sense to her...

Maybe she's just a very "dim bulb" to quote our gator troll, maybe that explains her Hitler comment...I dunno...

Well I’d agree she’s not too bright. But she’s not a racist nor a Nazi nor any of your party’s other favorite slights.

You guys commit so many own goals trying to dunk on Republicans.

Mary Miller has black grandchildren.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:50 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:23 pm :roll: :roll: :roll:

Well I’d agree she’s not too bright. But she’s not a racist nor a Nazi nor any of your party’s other favorite slights.

You guys commit so many own goals trying to dunk on Republicans.

Mary Miller has black grandchildren.
I'll take your word on she's just "not too bright"...I have no idea whether she's actually got a clue on race...but she's definitely bigoted in various ways, and an election denier. We know that through her actual policy work and votes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Miller_(politician)
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Tons of families out there where parents and kids don't speak to one another because of who the kids marry.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:13 am Tons of families out there where parents and kids don't speak to one another because of who the kids marry.

Looks like she speaks with them

89D39080-19FA-4CA3-8A0C-86B7D28DBD66.jpeg
89D39080-19FA-4CA3-8A0C-86B7D28DBD66.jpeg (233.39 KiB) Viewed 507 times

Does anyone want to apologize?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Nope, we know that she is bigoted (if not racially...who really knows what she thinks about her daughter's marital choice, much less issues about endemic racism?). We also know that she is an election denier/Jan 6 supporter... by her actual policies and votes.

The "white life" screw-up, and the kudos to Hitler screw-up, are most likely, at least primarily, the "dim bulb" problem, but the Jan 6 denial and the trans bigotry have no such cover, though probably stem from the same place. Combination of "dim bulb" and self-congratulatory ego.

Bottomline, she'd never have my vote.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

I'll apologize.

I'm sorry that her policies and beliefs are so terrible.

Speaking of photos that tell us nothing, these two look like they really like each other. :roll:

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:38 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:13 am Tons of families out there where parents and kids don't speak to one another because of who the kids marry.

Apparently it’s too hard for some folks to man up. A shame. really. Get a great opportunity to show character, and they whiff.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:40 pm

Apparently it’s too hard for some folks to man up. A shame. really. Get a great opportunity to show character, and they whiff.
... you are an idiot KellyAnne. The photo shows absolutely nothing other than some folks appear in the same photo together. :roll:

They all use Crest toothpaste. :lol: :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

That said, perhaps we can agree that needing to deal with diversity more directly in one's own family can lead to changed views over time, something that should be appreciated.

The Cheneys, parents and siblings, needed to deal with their prior homophobic views when Mary came out as gay; it was not instantaneous, and it was not binary...but now some two decades later, the entire family's perspective has evolved. And likely continues to evolve.

This sort of thing happens in lots of families. Tough to fully shake the unconscious bigotries of a lifetime, though.

My issue with this Congresswoman is not her apparent blindness to what she says (esp. the Hitler comment, which was not a misspoken mistake) but her actual policy positions which reveal both bigotry and a willingness to spread outright lies for partisan purposes. Not remotely ok.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:14 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:40 pm

... you are an idiot KellyAnne. The photo shows absolutely nothing other than some folks appear in the same photo together. :roll:

They all use Crest toothpaste. :lol: :lol:

Those ‘some folks’ are her blood family. A black son in law and five mixed race, though obviously black, grandchildren. Whom she adores.

Wonder how many *black* sons-in-law and grandchildren the non-black Fanlax FLP have?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:31 am That said, perhaps we can agree that needing to deal with diversity more directly in one's own family can lead to changed views over time, something that should be appreciated.

The Cheneys, parents and siblings, needed to deal with their prior homophobic views when Mary came out as gay; it was not instantaneous, and it was not binary...but now some two decades later, the entire family's perspective has evolved. And likely continues to evolve.

This sort of thing happens in lots of families. Tough to fully shake the unconscious bigotries of a lifetime, though.

My issue with this Congresswoman is not her apparent blindness to what she says (esp. the Hitler comment, which was not a misspoken mistake) but her actual policy positions which reveal both bigotry and a willingness to spread outright lies for partisan purposes. Not remotely ok.
In my experience, this is the usual way. A guy I with whom coached youth lacrosse was a very, very conservative man -- 82nd Airborne, tough as nails, rock-ribbed conservative, husband, and father of four daughters and a son. Rigid GOP voter. Years pass, and the son let's the family know that he identifies and has long identified as a woman. The family has transformed as a result...of the fact that they love their son/brother. Abstractions wouldn't have worked; the family needed to feel it to change. And to their credit, they did.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:38 am
Wonder how many *black* sons-in-law and grandchildren the non-black Fanlax FLP have?
I'm an uncle to three awesome kids.

How about you, Pete?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

a fan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:08 am

How about you, Pete?
Maybe he's one of the heretofore unknown Herschel Walker kids?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

How about you, Pete?

Am I an uncle, or am I an uncle to *black* nephews and nieces? Are you? Your post is unclear.

If you are, great. My question specifically was “are you a grandparent to black grandchildren?”, not an uncle.

Again it might help if you didn’t cut up posts to mislead readers. I’m not sure you’ll change, but the practice is annoying because of it’s intentional deceptions.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:31 am That said, perhaps we can agree that needing to deal with diversity more directly in one's own family can lead to changed views over time, something that should be appreciated.

My cousin, 10 years older than me, high school graduate, has a grand daughter (white) who became pregnant by an African American while in college. They got married before the child was born. Prior to this there was no way to describe my cousin as anything other than a closet racist who "came out" with the election of Trump - which surprised the hell out of me, we have always been very close, I had no idea. She is trying to deal with it but is clearly not real happy about the situation, but is learning to deal. Her husband (one of my favorite people, I have known since I was 7 years old, a very friendly, gregarious individual) has a much bigger problem with it than my cousin. He is second generation Italian-American.

I think it is very difficult for old dogs to learn new tricks in this domain.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:03 pm

How about you, Pete?

Am I an uncle, or am I an uncle to *black* nephews and nieces? Are you? Your post is unclear.

If you are, great. My question specifically was “are you a grandparent to black grandchildren?”, not an uncle.

Again it might help if you didn’t cut up posts to mislead readers. I’m not sure you’ll change, but the practice is annoying because of it’s intentional deceptions.
baloney, you just can't handle direct, pointed challenges.

What difference does it make whether a fellow poster has grandchildren, black or not?

If there must be a question, an at least on point question might be whether any of us would personally be able to choose to marry someone other than our race (or religion, etc), or whether that would be an issue for us. Would we be 'concerned' about it if one of our kids was considering such a choice?

This grandma's reality wasn't one she actively chose, her daughter did.
We have no idea what their relationship is beyond that they are not so badly estranged that they would refuse to be in a family photo.
At a minimum, that's a start...but it really doesn't tell us more than that.
Let's hope they have a great relationship and as well with the son-in-law and the grandkids.

But let's admit that we have no real idea what vestiges of bigotry in this lane she has. What we do know is what her policy positions are in other areas. And she definitely has bigotries and a willingness to spread very damaging political disinformation for partisan purposes...like you.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:42 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:03 pm

How about you, Pete?

baloney, you just can't handle direct, pointed challenges.

What difference does it make whether a fellow poster has grandchildren, black or not?

If there must be a question, an at least on point question might be whether any of us would personally be able to choose to marry someone other than our race (or religion, etc), or whether that would be an issue for us. Would we be 'concerned' about it if one of our kids was considering such a choice?

This grandma's reality wasn't one she actively chose, her daughter did.
We have no idea what their relationship is beyond that they are not so badly estranged that they would refuse to be in a family photo.
At a minimum, that's a start...but it really doesn't tell us more than that.
Let's hope they have a great relationship and as well with the son-in-law and the grandkids.

But let's admit that we have no real idea what vestiges of bigotry in this lane she has. What we do know is what her policy positions are in other areas. And she definitely has bigotries and a willingness to spread very damaging political disinformation for partisan purposes...like you.

That seems like a post worthy of suspension, but I won’t report it, so you’re good. Unlike Joe.

‘Mary Miller has bigotries’ according to MD, who obviously knows this woman really well (you’d kind of need to know someone well if you accuse them of being bigots). :roll: :roll:

Have you, MD, read about the many many instances where rabidly online Twitter Democrats are calling Clarence Thomas the n-word? You know, your new Party? Just flat out writing the word, as if it’s been just below the surface all these years itching to get out. Revealing.

Return to “POLITICS”