HS Boys National and Regional Rankings

HS Boys Lacrosse
Peter Brown

Re: HS Boys National and Regional Rankings

Post by Peter Brown »

A game that could have major implications on year end rankings was held last night in Manhasset NY. Manhasset versus St. Anthony's. Truth be told, I had overlooked Manhasset this year, and I shouldn't have, as they already had two good wins coming in last night. A friend of mine was at the game and kept me up to speed on scores and rhythm.

The end result was a last-second goal by a middie from St. A, who got his 'Set defender to stumble just enough to create room for a right-handed shot for the visitors...heartbreaking for Manhasset which had had the lead for most of the 2nd half. A Manhasset defender was shutting off O'Neill on the play; I think Coach W told O'Neill to clear far away, removing his defender from a slide. That created room on that side of the field for the St A middie to run toward and shoot. Just a very good play on St A's part. I feel for the 'Set fans though...they would have liked to have been St A's spoiler team this year.

The game however does tell you that St. A's can be had this year, but you'll need to bring your A game (and then some) to get it done.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

HS BOYS UPDATED (April 3): Loyola-Blakefield (MD) beat McDonogh (MD), St. Mary's (MD) beat St. Paul's (MD), Gonzaga (DC) beat Bullis (MD), and Chaminade (NY) beat Massapequa (NY). Computer Rankings.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Today:
Brunswick @ Kent School (0-0) - They won 12-1.
Garden City vs. South Side (0-0)
Haverford vs Salisbury School (0-0) @ Rutgers
Saint Ignatius (CA) @ Saint Francis (5-4)
Ward Melville @ Bay Shore (4-1)
If_Only

Post by If_Only »

admin wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:34 pm Today:
Brunswick @ Kent School (0-0) - They won 12-1.
Garden City vs. South Side (0-0)
Haverford vs Salisbury School (0-0) @ Rutgers
Saint Ignatius (CA) @ Saint Francis (5-4)
Ward Melville @ Bay Shore (4-1)
Ward Melville won 9-4
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Bury 12 Haverford 10
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
CT Transplant

Post by CT Transplant »

Total Cluster xxxi! with the 4/3 ratings.
Regions incorrect
Missing teams.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

While posting today's Rankings, saw the Regional mistakes. (I'd call it a mistake but to each their own.) Anyway, amended. And, yes, there are teams missing. Feel free to tell them to submit their game scores to us. We'd love to have them.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

HS BOYS: Yesterday, Salisbury (CT) beat Haverford (PA).

As a reminder, teams with 5 or fewer games played have one foot in 2018 and one in 2019. For example, St. Anthony's is getting a lot of Points for beating a 2019-unproven Delbarton because Delbo still has a lot of 2018-Points. After Delbo plays 3 more games, they'll be 100% in 2019 and their opponents will get credit for beating 2019-Delbarton, not 2018-Delbarton.

Computer Rankings.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Admin--something doesn't look right in that run, Salisbury dropped from 2 to 18 after winning a game. Hate to see what would happen if they lost.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

ctbagataway wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:19 am Admin--something doesn't look right in that run, Salisbury dropped from 2 to 18 after winning a game. Hate to see what would happen if they lost.
Penalized for the Coach K one and done post-grad 19 year old recruiting strategy. Just like when Duke lost to MSU, the nation will cheer when Salisbury loses to Kent in a few weeks. :lol:

jk, jk. Anyway, this system that Fanlax is doing is a work in progress. Don't worry about the boys from CT, they will be up at the top again shortly. They don't play another possible-loss game until May 10th (over a month of playing), which is a long time and a lot of games to get your system just so.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Oh I get it, PB. And I can only imagine what a project this is to undertake. But it just seemed strange that Bury would drop, so I figured admin would want to know about it, as it is likely a keying error.

As for May 10th, Bury better not get caught looking 6 weeks out or someone might take them by surprise. But I'm sure Coach Wynne will have them focused.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When were they #2?
grelch

Post by grelch »

I think ctba might be conflating polls. They've been #1, #2 and back to #1 on the IL poll.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

That's right, I was, thanks, Greich. But Salisbury did drop from 13 to 18 after beating Haverford. I'm not arguing for or against anyone, but my point is that if a team beats a team ranked higher than they are and they drop, I would question the algorithm. And maybe it has to do with the mix of 2018/2019. If that were the case, maybe the right thing to do is to not post any team until they have the required minimum number of games.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Justafan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:23 pm
CT Transplant wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:50 am The only qualification that I would mention are PGs.

Everything else is fine.
Whats the difference between a PG and a reclass? Nothing. So can't just say PG's. For example, Culver does not take PG's, but just about their whole roster reclassed. Many of the private/non boarding schools have reclass kids on their roster. This is a very complicated subject and is obviously debated all the time. Unfortunately it is debated by many people that really don't know the truths and facts of each school.
actually, there is something. one has a diploma, one doesn't. so one is in high school, one isn't.
include pg schools, then call it a prep school ranking.
covers both.

because again, one is a high school, one isn't.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

CTBag, trust me, there's no winning. If we include 2018 we're keeping the small guys down and if we give Calvert Hall the number of Points they deserve after a loss and their only wins being against less-than-powerhouse teams during their Spring Break, we're morons for not knowing that CHC is a Top 10 school. We do what we do and don't bother to appease the masses. (PS I have a theory for why people complain so much about the rankings but... it's off topic.)

On 4/3, Salisbury was #44. (With the Points normalized to 2 wins and Salisbury only having played one game which happened to be a win, they were at a pretty strong disadvantage.)

They then beat Haverford on 4/3 afternoon, which gave them a quality win... as well as a second win and they moved to #18. That's a pretty good jump and... I'm not sure where you're getting from 13 to 18. On 4/3, West Islip was #13.
renault

Post by renault »

If_Only wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:41 am
CT Transplant wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:50 am The only qualification that I would mention are PGs.

Everything else is fine.
Whats the difference between a PG and a reclass? Nothing. So can't just say PG's. For example, Culver does not take PG's, but just about their whole roster reclassed. Many of the private/non boarding schools have reclass kids on their roster. This is a very complicated subject and is obviously debated all the time. Unfortunately it is debated by many people that really don't know the truths and facts of each school.
That's the million dollar question. Heck, people have even found their way to get re-classed kids back into Public's too, not just privates.

I would draw the line (and it is in sand) 3 or more key players that should naturally be in college, gets the asterisk in my book. (Especially if a Goalie or FOGO) then its lIke Chris Rock said, "You're supposed to" win.

Now don't confuse me, I don't care if a sophomore or Junior should be a Sr., (sure unfair that they are praisefor being younger when they arent) but they are currently playing on age/level, and have a chance to right the ship and go to a Prep school. but when a kid should either be in college or labeled as PG and is in HS, that's a different story.
Publics have had older kids since forever.

20 years ago I had teammates from certain public high schools on Long Island (cough cough GC and Manhasset) who were 19 when they showed up to college. They were just barely younger than the kids from Baltimore.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

Are we really going to argue this again? The Preps can be in the rankings but in my opinion should always have an * by their team.

We have Prep kids in New England who have been in HS for 5&6 years. They will graduate HS at / or almost 20.

If you graduated HS already you should not return to another HS next year and “re graduate”.

Yes, there may be a random older kid in public school but the exception only proves the rule.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

renault wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:48 pm
If_Only wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:41 am

Everything else is fine.
That's the million dollar question. Heck, people have even found their way to get re-classed kids back into Public's too, not just privates.

I would draw the line (and it is in sand) 3 or more key players that should naturally be in college, gets the asterisk in my book. (Especially if a Goalie or FOGO) then its lIke Chris Rock said, "You're supposed to" win.

Now don't confuse me, I don't care if a sophomore or Junior should be a Sr., (sure unfair that they are praisefor being younger when they arent) but they are currently playing on age/level, and have a chance to right the ship and go to a Prep school. but when a kid should either be in college or labeled as PG and is in HS, that's a different story.
Publics have had older kids since forever.

20 years ago I had teammates from certain public high schools on Long Island (cough cough GC and Manhasset) who were 19 when they showed up to college. They were just barely younger than the kids from Baltimore.

MIAA guy here. When I arrived at college in an August in the 90's, I was 18. In early September I turned 19. I was a Freshman. I didn't think of my age at all. When I was a senior, I was 22 playing. Again, age never seemed to be an issue.

Is that old? You guys tell me.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

I am a teacher and I see it all the time: big strong athletic kids who are socially, academically and emotionally more mature then their peers but they still repeat when they get recruited by the private schools.

To me it is boarderline cheating. If you are re-classing just to play against younger, weaker kids then it’s gross. They always say it’s for other reasons but we all know the truth. These kids are already at the top of the food chain in most cases and don’t need to be held back.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”