College Coaches --> High School

HS Boys Lacrosse
HooDat

College Coaches --> High School

Post by HooDat »

With Pressler's big announcement, it made me reflect on college coaches deciding to move to coaching high school lacrosse.

I know a few guys that started out thinking they were making a lifestyle choice and it ending up being more money as well.

The obvious plus is that you don't have the travel and recruiting grind that is college coaching. This seemed to be the main motivation for young coaches that were starting families.

But with club and feeder programs linked to high schools, and private school budgets being what they can be - it seems like some head coaches can make the same or more money with a lot less hassle coaching at the high school level.

The biggest trade-off seems to be dealing with rabid parents more directly?

Will we see more moves like this? Is it good bad or indifferent for the game (I tend to think it is a positive).
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
flyerfan17

Re: College Coaches --> High School

Post by flyerfan17 »

Coaching D1 lacrosse is not all that glamorous unless you are in a top 5 percent job so you could put that same dedication into a grassroots town program and make a difference while still having a life and getting the juice of competition. It all depends on what you want. Don't think it's that hard to deal with crazy parents, they are at every level anyway
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

HooDat wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:38 pm With Pressler's big announcement, it made me reflect on college coaches deciding to move to coaching high school lacrosse.

I know a few guys that started out thinking they were making a lifestyle choice and it ending up being more money as well.

The obvious plus is that you don't have the travel and recruiting grind that is college coaching. This seemed to be the main motivation for young coaches that were starting families.

But with club and feeder programs linked to high schools, and private school budgets being what they can be - it seems like some head coaches can make the same or more money with a lot less hassle coaching at the high school level.

The biggest trade-off seems to be dealing with rabid parents more directly?

Will we see more moves like this? Is it good bad or indifferent for the game (I tend to think it is a positive).
Tony Seaman has been at St Andrews FL for a few years and Stan Ross at Oxbridge FL also for some time now
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

TW Johnson, Shirk, the guy who went to Hun. There’s some others.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

flyerfan17 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:53 pm Coaching D1 lacrosse is not all that glamorous unless you are in a top 5 percent job so you could put that same dedication into a grassroots town program and make a difference while still having a life and getting the juice of competition. It all depends on what you want. Don't think it's that hard to deal with crazy parents, they are at every level anyway
Have you ever coached youth or high school parents?
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Carroll81 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:52 pm
flyerfan17 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:53 pm Coaching D1 lacrosse is not all that glamorous unless you are in a top 5 percent job so you could put that same dedication into a grassroots town program and make a difference while still having a life and getting the juice of competition. It all depends on what you want. Don't think it's that hard to deal with crazy parents, they are at every level anyway
Yes
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

flyerfan17 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:01 pm
Carroll81 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:52 pm
Yes
I suspect that parents have gotten more involved at the collegiate level recently just like they did in high schools. It all depends on the culture of the program. It seems like private schools with big fundraising goals are the places where coaches need to tread the lightest. I watched one coach get run out of a private high school because he wouldn't start a big donor's kid. He was right, but the headmaster didn't care - the school wanted the money. At least they let him find a new spot on his own time-frame.

dont ball watch

Post by dont ball watch »

The largest difference with college coaches moving to coach HS these days is that they are smart/experienced enough to dictate to the Boosters/Athletic Dept/School Admin that parents will NOT communicate directly with the coaching staff nor interfere in matters of tryouts, rosters, playing time, etc.

It's becoming a stronger "nonstarter" issue. You want the big name coach? Great. You're getting big name business.
Parents can deal w/ the concessions, fund raising, senior night, banquet, etc. But on field matters = Do Not Pass Go. Do Not Collect $200.

Otherwise the contract isn't signed & someone else will snatch up that big name coach & ultimately their positive changing results.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

I hope you are right, for the coaches and in the end the kid's sake. Mommy and Daddy getting coach fired for not starting you is no way to grow up.

smoova

Post by smoova »

HooDat wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:22 pm I hope you are right, for the coaches and in the end the kid's sake. Mommy and Daddy getting coach fired for not starting you is no way to grow up.
Exactly. The proper course is reclass and transfer ... ;)

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”