Navy 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
TheGoat1999

Re: Navy 2023

Post by TheGoat1999 »

IMO, Yes concerted effort to ask for money. Not sure that is connecting on others levels.

Amplo is a complete narcissistic and will never be able to forge that relationship with the Alumni and Active-Duty members of the Navy Lacrosse Family.

We should all be troubled that Coach R and Coach O are ready to jump “ship” (interviewing for HC positions and have shown interest in other Assistant Coaching Positions) after just three years on the “Yard”. The Navy Assistant Coaching position is one of the highest paid positions in the country and then add the lucrative Navy Lacrosse Camp to the package and you are hauling in more the most Head Coaches are paid.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:29 am IMO, Yes concerted effort to ask for money. Not sure that is connecting on others levels.

Amplo is a complete narcissistic and will never be able to forge that relationship with the Alumni and Active-Duty members of the Navy Lacrosse Family.

We should all be troubled that Coach R and Coach O are ready to jump “ship” (interviewing for HC positions and have shown interest in other Assistant Coaching Positions) after just three years on the “Yard”. The Navy Assistant Coaching position is one of the highest paid positions in the country and then add the lucrative Navy Lacrosse Camp to the package and you are hauling in more the most Head Coaches are paid.
Who would you like to see as head coach, then?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:29 am IMO, Yes concerted effort to ask for money. Not sure that is connecting on others levels.

I think coaching on The Yard, especially for MLax and Football, requires a tremendous dance to be had. Frankly, and some may hate to hear it, but the faithful alum are part of the problem, may even be a bigger part than they want to admit. Ever demanding, not understanding of the current landscape of the sport, and when they don't get their way (like they are accustomed) well, that's when the stuff starts happening behind the curtain. I can see how Amplo gets that label, I can also see why RS was the way he was...to polar opposites as it relates to the dance with Alum and Active-Duty....which is why I made the argument I did; you just cant win, unless you RIchie Meade or maybe, just maybe, TIllman.

Serious question for those the live and bleed Blue and Gold Football.....tell us what the hashtag #FTC means as it relates to football a short couple years ago?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:51 pm

I think coaching on The Yard, especially for MLax and Football, requires a tremendous dance to be had. Frankly, and some may hate to hear it, but the faithful alum are part of the problem, may even be a bigger part than they want to admit.
Huge understatement...
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

old salt wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:41 pm
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:14 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:29 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:50 am My question is, what will Amplo need to do in the near future to quiet any people who are doubters?
Continue .500 or better vs Army & .500 or better over all, make the PLT every year, not lose PLT games on home field, win a PLT game.

2011-2019 was a rough stretch. Stockholm syndrome. Expectations have been lowered.
NAAA has de-emphasized MLax, while promoting other sports.
Conf scheds have given Navy fewer big game opportunities.
That era being a rough stretch is debatable. I believe they won the PL regular season in 2015 and 2016, and were within a goal of the final four. Are the quarterfinals realistic now?
As realistic as they were in '16, sneaking in as the last bubble AL.
Winning the PL regular season should matter, unless it just provides the opportunity to lose & be eliminated at home.
Navy last won a PLT game in 2009.
A goal w'in FF and Oldsalt still finds reasons to diminish that. If Navy had won PLT games, you'd be sqawkin' about no NCAA wins.
old salt

Post by old salt »

FMUBart wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:25 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:41 pm
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:14 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:29 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:50 am My question is, what will Amplo need to do in the near future to quiet any people who are doubters?
Continue .500 or better vs Army & .500 or better over all, make the PLT every year, not lose PLT games on home field, win a PLT game.

2011-2019 was a rough stretch. Stockholm syndrome. Expectations have been lowered.
NAAA has de-emphasized MLax, while promoting other sports.
Conf scheds have given Navy fewer big game opportunities.
That era being a rough stretch is debatable. I believe they won the PL regular season in 2015 and 2016, and were within a goal of the final four. Are the quarterfinals realistic now?
As realistic as they were in '16, sneaking in as the last bubble AL.
Winning the PL regular season should matter, unless it just provides the opportunity to lose & be eliminated at home.
Navy last won a PLT game in 2010.
A goal w'in FF and Oldsalt still finds reasons to diminish that. If Navy had won PLT games, you'd be sqawkin' about no NCAA wins.
Contrast Navy's 2004-2010 record with what followed. That's what Navy fans had come to expect.
That was preceded by 93 years with only 5 losing seasons. My expectations are not unreasonable.
Given PL parity & scheduling constraints, Navy might snag an AL bid as the last bubble team once a decade ('08 &'16) if the PL is strong,
but they have to start winning PLT games again to expect a return to the ncaa tourney.
Last edited by old salt on Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

D1 landscape has changed…ask Hobart, “who moved my cheese” ;)
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Meade had 6 straight NCAAs, including one final,

then two straight losing seasons and ….

… tough crowd.
old salt

Post by old salt »

...& only one of those 2 final seasons (2011) was a bad season. In 2010 the Mids battled through multiple key injuries to finish 7-8, beat JHU & made it to the PL final, losing the AQ to the best Army team in the modern era. Look at the schedule & the scores.
https://navysports.com/sports/2020/7/23 ... eason.aspx

There were other non-lax employment status & business issues which drove the change.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tion/10622

https://thebirddogblog.com/2011/05/22/t ... of-an-era/
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Yeah, life isn’t fair.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

You are proving our point, as far back as 2011.

Certainly, Meade was the right guy to lead the Mlax team as it applied to all things USNA, lacrosse was changing, and he was not...to a degree. Yes, we can also take in to account other dynamics that where out his control during this era.
old salt wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:50 pm There were other non-lax employment status & business issues which drove the change.
https://thebirddogblog.com/2011/05/22/t ... of-an-era/

The problem is that the standard to which the lacrosse team is held is apparently different. Competing for conference titles isn’t enough for those influential lacrosse alumni from Navy’s heyday in the ’60s. In their view, Navy should be playing for national titles. Never mind that the game has completely evolved away from those days, where you could build a championship contender by stacking your team with football players to simply out-athlete the opposition. Today’s game is a specialized, year-round enterprise. The same challenges that Navy teams face in recruiting academically qualified talent

Earlier yeaterday.....
youthathletics wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:51 pm

I think coaching on The Yard, especially for MLax and Football, requires a tremendous dance to be had. Frankly, and some may hate to hear it, but the faithful alum are part of the problem, may even be a bigger part than they want to admit. Ever demanding, not understanding of the current landscape of the sport, and when they don't get their way (like they are accustomed) well, that's when the stuff starts happening behind the curtain. I can see how Amplo gets that label, I can also see why RS was the way he was...to polar opposites as it relates to the dance with Alum and Active-Duty....which is why I made the argument I did; you just cant win, unless you RIchie Meade or maybe, just maybe, TIllman.

Serious question for those the live and bleed Blue and Gold Football.....tell us what the hashtag #FTC means as it relates to football a short couple years ago?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

That quote about the restive 60's alums is a decade old. Many have moved on, literally.
The rest have had a decade to adapt to the new reality.

As the article points out, 2004 - 2010 was a significant departure from the mean.
It also was the start of Navy's shift from the ECAC to a weaker PL with an AQ now available.

After a 6-7 finish in '03, I feared a coaching change was imminent. That year, a rousing season ending win over Army by a young deep roster (most of whom would be playing the next Mem Day) gave hope. A new AD didn't have the chops to make a change yet, after having just hired a new, unproven FB coach who went 2-10 in his first season at Navy.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Breaking: @Bryant_MLax will hire former @NavyMLAX offensive coordinator Brad Ross as the Bulldogs' next head coach, multiple sources tell @Inside_Lacrosse.
lorin

Post by lorin »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:56 am Breaking: @Bryant_MLax will hire former @NavyMLAX offensive coordinator Brad Ross as the Bulldogs' next head coach, multiple sources tell @Inside_Lacrosse.
Good for him and is family, all the best.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Best of luck to Coach Ross at Bryant! Will be interesting to see who Navy gets as their next OC.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

This is win-win. Ross gets a HC chance at a school he knows and has roots in. He is not "running from" but "running to". I also think this is a great time/opportunity for Navy to change its offensive approach.

The wild card here is recruiting. I hear Ross' influence there may have been his best talent. The incoming classes lacrosse rankings show someone was doing a good job on paper. Hope that continues.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:06 pm This is win-win. Ross gets a HC chance at a school he knows and has roots in. He is not "running from" but "running to". I also think this is a great time/opportunity for Navy to change its offensive approach.

The wild card here is recruiting. I hear Ross' influence there may have been his best talent. The incoming classes lacrosse rankings show someone was doing a good job on paper. Hope that continues.
Navy has had really solid recruiting for quite some time.

Sowell and Reppert, Phipps, Parks, Wellner, & Camposa

Really have not had the chance to see Amplo's "guys" yet.
~Livy
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

I know this is football news but thought I would post it anyway

Breaking news: The @ArmyNavyGame is headed to five different cities over the next five years. Army-Navy will be played at Gillette Stadium and hosted by Boston for the first time in 2023. M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore welcomes back America's game in 2025.
https://twitter.com/bwagner_capgaz/stat ... y_6VNk5x2w
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

Congrats to Coach Ross and his family. Ross is a quality guy with an Elite Education who has paid his dues with his last two Head Coaches.

I suspect Coach Amplo will find another Hofstra Alum/LI Guy who is currently in the Assistant Coaching ranks that has some understanding of recruiting Service Academy kids.

Salary/Benefits and Camp pushing 190K, I suspect there is a Long List of Applicants.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”