January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Andersen wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:34 pm Stream of consciousness

I wonder if he thinks St. Patrick's Day is divisive?
May Day wasn’t divisive. It was a big celebration when I was in school!
“I wish you would!”
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

May Pole?

Crowning of Mary?

Soviet Military Parade?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

mmm, or Columbus Day, still a federal holiday...darn sure that one is "divisive". Whole lot of historical fallacy in that one.

Heck, I bet some Americans would consider Christmas to be "divisive". And would have pretty darn good reason to feel left out of that.

Juneteenth is based on an historical truth; only the decision to recognize the end of government sanctioned slavery in America is possibly considered to be "divisive" and I'd just like to ask to whom, and why, that would be "divisive"?

My family has some branches that owned slaves, and I don't see celebrating the end of that to be "divisive". More importantly, as an American of the present I find that step forward 137 years ago to be unifying, not divisive. It's a celebration of progress and a reminder that our country is ever evolving, and that we citizens have a responsibility to ensure that the arc of history in America does 'bend toward justice'. Or, as MLK said,“the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.”

For whom is that "divisive"?
Typical Lax Dad

Andersen wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:20 pm
May Pole?

Crowning of Mary?

Soviet Military Parade?
May Pole…I believe it was dropped as it was was conflated with the Soviets.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:51 pm
May Pole?

Crowning of Mary?

Soviet Military Parade?
I wonder when it began to wane as a regular celebratory event in the US? As a young kid in the 60's, I recall going to May Day held each year at a local girl's school, Bryn Mawr...lemon with a peppermint stick straw is an enduring memory, games, etc. Later on, it was a way to be around lots of girls on a warm spring day...it's still a major celebration around the world. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_Day
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:08 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:51 pm
May Pole?

Crowning of Mary?

Soviet Military Parade?
I wonder when it began to wane as a regular celebratory event in the US? As a young kid in the 60's, I recall going to May Day held each year at a local girl's school, Bryn Mawr...lemon with a peppermint stick straw is an enduring memory, games, etc. Later on, it was a way to be around lots of girls on a warm spring day...it's still a major celebration around the world. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_Day
We always looked forward to it. It sort of went away. My older siblings participated in the school events.
“I wish you would!”
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:30 am Just wanted to make sure that this paragraph wins the Emmy or Tony or Oscar or Pulitzer is deserves:

"As to this thread. The phrase, "Our democracy is in peril" and "Our democracy may not survive", "Putin almost made it into the White House". blah, blah, blah. You had a very famous person who wanted to blow it up after Trump was elected. BTW, I played college ball with a guy who on game day wore his famous Farrah swimsuit picture ironed on the front of his boxers. Not sure the saints that LeBron hangs with but this was YOUR tax dollars paying for his education. Investigate the he$$ out of them all."

Off to work.
I think I recognize that script from One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.
ggait

Post by ggait »

From where I sit? This is the literal theme of the Politics Forum.

Namely: what do we do for the bottom 85% earners. Because the frequent posters here, myself included, are set. We're not complaining for ourselves....we're trying to figure out how to get America to where it was in the 1960's, where we led the world in pretty much every category.

Each passing year, things like upward mobility, wealth gap, mortality, literacy, etc. gets worse in America.
USA is by far the best country if you are a smart educated person with some mojo. More so if you are a dude. Even more so if you are a white dude.

We also used to be the best for the middle class. But no longer.

The data below below is the U.N.'s "Human Development Report" (which measures equality, literacy, average life expectancy, financial stability). But there's many studies that comes to the same conclusion.

1 Norway
2 Switzerland
2 Ireland
4 Hong Kong
4 Iceland
6 Germany
7 Sweden
8 Australia
8 Netherlands
10 Denmark
11 Singapore
11 Finland
13 United Kingdom
14 Belgium
14 New Zealand
16 Canada
17 United States
18 Austria
19 Japan
19 Israel
19 Liechtenstein
22 Slovenia
23 South Korea
23 Luxembourg
25 Spain
26 France
29 Italy
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

Those people must not like Americans.
“I wish you would!”
LandM

Post by LandM »

Well, seems the caste is posting. Very typical and very expected. Usual folks. I will do my best:
1. Today was a federal holiday - most people including Sea worked today because no one but the fed employees cared. Me I went on my boat - I sorely regret that I missed the Cinco De Mayo Holiday - was that a federal holiday?
2. In today's holiday, I heard about reparations - the day where rich white people feel bad for those non rich white people - I am just asking for what my family rightly earned;
3. St. Patty's Day - we are ALL Irish;
4. May Day - never celebrated - I am from NV;
5. That ironing of the picture got to you guys - too funny - most caddy conversations I have been around are on girls (hopefully that is acceptable to this crowd) trips - man- I even blushed. Women talking talking about the male anatomy :oops: I CRINGE every time you say GALS MD,,,,,,,,,seriously GALS???????

You all are toooooooo predictable. The boat analogy was I am not a boat fan. I hate boats. doing a 360 in a boat makes me puke so yet my wife does it just to get me going.

GGait, I would really appreciate dissecting what you posted and the variables that went into that graph. I think there are other variables that may play a part then just the top line. A chart without info - not sure about that.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

St Patrick’s day isn’t a federal holiday
Typical Lax Dad

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:11 pm

It is in New York!
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

LandM wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:57 pm Well, seems the caste is posting. Very typical and very expected. Usual folks. I will do my best:
1. Today was a federal holiday - most people including Sea worked today because no one but the fed employees cared. Me I went on my boat - I sorely regret that I missed the Cinco De Mayo Holiday - was that a federal holiday?
2. In today's holiday, I heard about reparations - the day where rich white people feel bad for those non rich white people - I am just asking for what my family rightly earned;
5. That ironing of the picture got to you guys - too funny - most caddy conversations I have been around are on girls (hopefully that is acceptable to this crowd) trips - man- I even blushed. Women talking talking about the male anatomy :oops: I CRINGE every time you say GALS MD,,,,,,,,,seriously GALS???????

You all are toooooooo predictable. The boat analogy was I am not a boat fan. I hate boats. doing a 360 in a boat makes me puke so yet my wife does it just to get me going.

GGait, I would really appreciate dissecting what you posted and the variables that went into that graph. I think there are other variables that may play a part then just the top line. A chart without info - not sure about that.

:lol: :lol:
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:11 pm

Columbus Day is a very stupid federal holiday, celebrating a guy who never even set foot in any part of the USA...and of course we have Christmas, which has zero to do with America and certainly isn't inclusive of all Americans.

Each are far more "divisive" than a celebration of the end of government sanctioned slavery.
LandM

Post by LandM »

BTW - NO ONE ANSWERED MY REAL QUESTIONS:
1. Why did Sussman get a hall pass?
2. Why did the NY Times write bogus articles?
3. What is Christopher Steele not in jail?
4. Why is Jake Sullivan part of the Biden Admin?

1, Why is Donald Trump not in jail?;
2. Why is Rudy still walking the halls somewhere?;
3. Why did only 700 of the 74 million Trump voters get into trouble

Why is our Democracy in peril?
LandM

Post by LandM »

Champ - when you play D3 ball - you get a D3 response.........keep trying
Keep chirping and one day you will succeed!
Typical Lax Dad

LandM wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:26 pm BTW - NO ONE ANSWERED MY REAL QUESTIONS:

Because this is America?
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

LandM wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:26 pm BTW - NO ONE ANSWERED MY REAL QUESTIONS:

Our democracy isn’t in peril…yet.

Democrats would’ve absolutely torn apart a bunch of cities had Trump won in 2020, and then it would’ve been interesting to see how the military reacted when he ordered them to put down the riots.

But he lost. So we don’t know.

We are seeing Democrats today get perilously close to assassinating SCOTUS judges. The reason they give is that they’re distraught at *future* cases, not actual decisions. If they succeed in assassinating a judge, throwing the court into chaos, I’m not sure what the repercussions might be.

And now, Democrats are about to be blown out in November, due to some of your questions but of course far more. So we will see yet again how they react.

You don’t need to worry about thirty hayseeds who support trump, but you do need to worry about an entire party’s ethos whereby they support rioting and the assassination of judges.
Last edited by Peter Brown on Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

LandM wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:57 pm Well, seems the caste is posting. Very typical and very expected. Usual folks. I will do my best:

again, your are extraordinarily cryptic.

We gave our employees off today; indeed, so did most non retail businesses, and many that are.
I did a little work, 'cause I'm compulsive and an owner ala seacoaster, but I also played 18 and a round of pickle ball doubles with my son.

I like boats, esp. sail, but so what (don't love care and feeding of them); have small ski boat at Squam.

I dunno where you frequent, what you watch, but I didn't hear a peep about 'reparations'...you watching Fox again? OAN? or was that some old white guys shooting the sh-t around the docks?

As to "gals" what the heck makes you cringe? Girls, to me, are young or referential between women. I call women, women. Or gals. Not girls. Coming from a man, way too easily heard as sexist. 'Guys' has male connotation, but can be used across gender when obviously meant as such as in "come on guys" said to group of men and women. It's no big deal.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

LandM wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:27 pm Champ - when you play D3 ball - you get a D3 response.........keep trying
Keep chirping and one day you will succeed!
who are you talking to?

Return to “POLITICS”