Coaching Carousal

D2 Mens Lacrosse
Laxguru333

Re: Coaching Carousal

Post by Laxguru333 »

Tiffin University should have their guy announced next week.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

Laxguru333 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:04 pm Tiffin University should have their guy announced next week.
You were saying? I'm not sure they are even finished with interviews, but I could be off base.
eclax42

Post by eclax42 »

Josh Shingleton named Head Coach at Lees McRae. Was assistant in 2021 and served as Head Women's Coach and Men's Assistant in 2022.

https://lmcbobcats.com/news/2022/6/13/m ... coach.aspx
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

D’Youville is now open.
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

River Donkey wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:34 pm D’Youville is now open.
Last year the general consensus on the forum and in the Buffalo area was, he was a bad hire.

Hopefully they've re-evaluated the hiring process and will make a better hire this time around.

Could be a good job if the administration gets out of the way.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

Has anyone heard anything about AIC or Caldwell? Those opened pretty early for them not to be making much movement.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

StuckinD2 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:01 am Has anyone heard anything about AIC or Caldwell? Those opened pretty early for them not to be making much movement.
Haha!! I completely forgot about those.
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

StuckinD2 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:01 am Has anyone heard anything about AIC or Caldwell? Those opened pretty early for them not to be making much movement.
Will probably see hire as late into the summer as possible.

Those are 2 schools who don’t want to pay people too early.
Warrior62

Post by Warrior62 »

Two examples of schools not supporting their program. Late hire recruiting is missed , hire someone for no pay then wonder later why the numbers are not where they want . Rinse and repeat
laxxer27

Post by laxxer27 »

AIC is interviewing a staff member from trinity college and another from Lewis University. My guess would be assistants. Nobody on their right mind would take the AIC job unless your trying to move up.
midwestlaxdad

Post by midwestlaxdad »

Young Harris Open…….. wild
jakester

Post by jakester »

midwestlaxdad wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:35 pm Young Harris Open…….. wild
Guess that experiment didn't go as planned - https://yhcathletics.com/news/2022/6/21 ... lions.aspx
Warrior62

Post by Warrior62 »

They have bungled this w their last 3 hires. No reason to think they will do the right thing and hire a qualified guy.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Warrior62 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:55 pm They have bungled this w their last 3 hires. No reason to think they will do the right thing and hire a qualified guy.
Get rid of the AD should be first step.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

I don’t know if it’s fully the AD.. tho I do believe at this point she has a ton of skin In the game..

Listen I am not a coach there or been apart of their program nor has any family st the school but I am personally familiar with the program and department..

Their president played D1 basketball he is fully supportive of athletics and what understands what athletics brings to the institution. Jennifer Rushton was brought in to be the Compliance Director for an AD that had two feet out the door.. and was thrown into that position. The lacrosse program under the coaching staff prior to Goldsmith was a nightmare while the program had success.. there was little to no discipline and major eligibility issues. Goldsmith was not ready for that job. He also only recruited 1 player in his class.. just 1.

At that point it seems Rushton desperately wanted to get it right… she went with an old head that could bring high academic guys that wouldn’t be an issue.. he clearly did not have any desire to be their long term. She hired him Over other D2 First Assistants… some that are D2 HCs and some that remain at D2 NCAA level teams.

The program is strongly funded with good scholarships.. salary is $45-50k and assistant is $20+ with housing…

They should be able to find a very strong candidate to take over this program that wants to be their long term.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

You are correct on all of your points except the scholarship situation. Coach Herring started with zero scholarships and would be on a merit based scholarship program. He would not see any scholarships until he had 20 guys on the roster at which point he would get 1 full scholarship, and I believe it was 1 scholarship for every 5 roster players after 20. Yea the AD was rushed into her position but she needs to yield to someone with more lacrosse experience. She alienated the most fruitful recruiting area to the school by dismissing everyone from the team and not welcoming anyone back making YH a “no go” for the Atlanta area. The housing provided for the assistant coach is a bedroom adjacent to the office (the athletic building is a former no tell motel). The salary was below living costs for the area. I don’t want to go on and on but YH needs to step up their games and come correct with their men’s lacrosse program.
All that being said, YH is in possibly the most beautiful area of the country, has a nice campus and all the pieces are there for a successful program but there is something there holding the program back.
Warrior62

Post by Warrior62 »

I know from a person very close to situation that they had a great opportunity to higher a very strong candidate w D 2 experience and never even interviewed him. He could have addressed and handled all issues. AD is an issue, lack of scholarships , lack of assistant package all a problem. To say 45 to 50 k salary is good is a joke. For all that job entails not worth it. Unfortunately d2 and do for most part grossly underpay and support coaches. Want the income of 45 players but won't pay to support. YHC good example . Won't support program till they get numbers but you can't get numbers w no scholarships and no decent asst package. Put the support up front and it will pay off. Not sure why a good candidate would apply for this job. Way too many red flags
LaxCoach1952

Post by LaxCoach1952 »

I think we all need to point out the Young Harris was a JUCO up until 2012, not even 10 years ago. And from everything I've heard the D2 jump has not been kind to them. Same issues have happened to a lot of schools in that region. Shorter and Emmanuel were NAIA and jumped around the same time those schools are struggling big time as well.

The program lies with the AD and the upper administration. They see kids as $$$ and when issues arise and they cant hit their enrollment quotas the whole school suffers.

If Young Harris wants to be successful drop down to NAIA or cut sports to the D2 bare minimum but don't put out a product that cant survive. Thats not fair to the kids and their families.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

LaxCoach1952 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:41 pm I think we all need to point out the Young Harris was a JUCO up until 2012, not even 10 years ago. And from everything I've heard the D2 jump has not been kind to them. Same issues have happened to a lot of schools in that region. Shorter and Emmanuel were NAIA and jumped around the same time those schools are struggling big time as well.

The program lies with the AD and the upper administration. They see kids as $$$ and when issues arise and they cant hit their enrollment quotas the whole school suffers.

If Young Harris wants to be successful drop down to NAIA or cut sports to the D2 bare minimum but don't put out a product that cant survive. Thats not fair to the kids and their families.
You should note, however, that men's soccer is typically top 10-20 in the country (ninth place in NCAAs this year)...and baseball was in the NCAAs as well (33rd place).

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”