All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: All Things Russia & Ukraine

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:41 am How is it nativist to expect our immigration laws to be enforced.
For the 100th time, you're flat out lying. You specifically DON'T want our immigration laws enforced. You've told me this multiple times now.

You and your party are completely, and irrevocably, full of buffalo bagels on this matter.

Call us when you actually enforce ALL our laws. You REFUSE to do it....you've got all the excuses in the world as to why, gee whiz golly, we can't enforce our laws.

And then the best part, is that you come on here and whine and complain when the Dems don't enforce the laws, either.

You don't want to write new laws that close the loopholes you keep whining about.

You don't want to enforce all the laws that you claim to want to enforce.

This is nothing more than a fake issue that your party leaders don't want to fix, so that they can count on your vote like clockwork every election.

Wake me up when you REALLY care about immigration.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:47 pm How were the peaches picked before the caravans of asylum seekers began flowing through the asylum loopholes
Boy, you really don't know, do you?

For a guy who follows this issue closely, you really don't know the first thing about how broken our immigration system is. As I keep saying...you think the primary problem is entry at our Southern border. And then you act like this is an absolute fact, rather than your own opinion.

Do yourself a favor and either talk with farmers who rely on seasonal workers, and all types of work visas....or read what the farmers have to say.

There's a REASON we keep importing more and more food, OS. We have left our immigration system to rot for 40+ years now. And because this has become the new "abortion issue" for your party? That tells you that they will. not. lift. a. finger. to. fix. this. issue. Ever. It's about votes for them.

Here's words from my peach farmer, up the road on the Western Slope of Colorado. You'll believe him, at least. (I hope)

“(They’re) not going to plant more than they can harvest because there’s no point in doing that,” he said. “People are making a lot of farm decisions based on the presence or absence of labor.

Without an indigenous supply of labor to grow the necessary food to feed the nation inside its borders, Talbott said the likelihood is high that the growing of the crops will be moved to the countries with the labor.

Does that make it clear enough for you? So you think it's just fine that Trump didn't pass any legislation, so long as he "defends the border" to your liking...and you mock me when I point out that yet again, nothing got fixed------telling me "the perfect is the enemy of the good".

Meanwhile, our country is falling apart because our leaders refuse to fix the problem, because "not fixing it" gets them votes.

Oh well. Farmers and our food infrastructure aren't important, right?

https://www.thefencepost.com/news/talbo ... -shortage/
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:51 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:47 pm How were the peaches picked before the caravans of asylum seekers began flowing through the asylum loopholes

For a guy who follows this issue closely, you really don't know the first thing about how broken our immigration system is. As I keep saying...you think the primary problem is entry at our Southern border. And then you act like this is an absolute fact, rather than your own opinion.

Do yourself a favor and either talk with farmers who rely on seasonal workers, and all types of work visas....or read what the farmers have to say.

There's a REASON we keep importing more and more food, OS. We have left our immigration system to rot for 40+ years now. And because this has become the new "abortion issue" for your party? That tells you that they will. not. lift. a. finger. to. fix. this. issue. Ever. It's about votes for them.

Here's words from my peach farmer, up the road on the Western Slope of Colorado. You'll believe him, at least. (I hope)

“(They’re) not going to plant more than they can harvest because there’s no point in doing that,” he said. “People are making a lot of farm decisions based on the presence or absence of labor.

Without an indigenous supply of labor to grow the necessary food to feed the nation inside its borders, Talbott said the likelihood is high that the growing of the crops will be moved to the countries with the labor.

Does that make it clear enough for you? So you think it's just fine that Trump didn't pass any legislation, so long as he "defends the border" to your liking...and you mock me when I point out that yet again, nothing got fixed------telling me "the perfect is the enemy of the good".

Meanwhile, our country is falling apart because our leaders refuse to fix the problem, because "not fixing it" gets them votes.

Old S. believes there are plenty of red blooded Americans that can pick peaches.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:49 pm

Old S. believes there are plenty of red blooded Americans that can pick peaches.
Blah, blah, blah. + TLD inane chirping. Still no answer to my question.
Crops were once picked by Ceasar Chavez's braseros. Then by Mexican men & some young women who entered illegally, leaving their family behind.
The US asylum laws cannot be used by Mexicans & Canadians. Central Americans began using the asylum loophole when Pueblo sin Fronteras began organizing caravans of Northern triangle migrants within the last decade. Then the cartels figured out the asylum scam & exploited it on an increasing scale. That opened the floodgates from Central American & now from Latin America & increasingly, the rest of the globe. The migrants claiming asylum overburden the system because many now bring their families or send unaccompanied minors. If you do not recognize the change within the past decade, you are willfully ignoring what's happening, what has changed & why.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:06 pmCentral Americans began using the asylum loophole when Pueblo sin Fronteras began organizing caravans of Northern triangle migrants within the last decade. Then the cartels figured out the asylum scam & exploited it on an increasing scale. That opened the floodgates from Central American & now from Latin America & increasingly, the rest of the globe. The migrants claiming asylum overburden the system because many now bring their families or send unaccompanied minors. If you do not recognize the change within the past decade, you are willfully ignoring what's happening, what has changed & why.
Oh we get it.

What did Trump and McConnell do to close the loophole, OS? All they had to do was fix the stupid law. A weeks work, tops.

They did NOTHING about it.

Remember when you were blaming Obama for not taking the JCPOA to the Senate to make it a real, permanent fix?

Yet you "forgot" to make this same gripe when Trump's little R waddled into power, and didn't legislate and fix this problem of yours.

Your team didn't fix it ON PURPOSE, OS. It wasn't an accident. How many millions of R voters are foaming at the mouth over the "open border".
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:36 am
old salt wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:41 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:30 am Yeah, I find you incredibly dismissive of the history of immigration in our country, all through a very consistent lens of the nativist throughout our history. Indeed consistent with so many other positions you've taken.
Oh, so you find me dismissive of the history of immigration in our country ? How so, specifically ?
Other than Native Americans, we are all immigrants or their descendants.
How is it nativist to expect our immigration laws to be enforced.

Likewise, the "I wasn't taught to hate our country" crack...
I'm not afflicted with guilt over our history of immigration.
Every country has immigration laws, many more restrictive than ours.
We have the largest immigrant population in the world.
We still need to enforce our existing immigration laws, not matter the supposed evils of our history you were taught.

But put that aside,( :lol: you can't put it aside. You keep scolding me about it when it was in response a personal insult)
I think the asylum law challenge will only be able to be "fixed" through comprehensive immigration reform, not "control of our borders" which is a fool's errand IMO. Valid goal, but unachievable through force, unless overwhelming and brutal such application.
Why does it require comprehensive reform to fix the asylum loophole. It was not a problem before the caravans started within the past decade.

"Control" will only be achieved when we provide reasonable, legal access to those who wish to migrate, whether to stay and become citizens, or to work short term. Yes, in large part, what you bolded. But without such reform, focus on asylum rules is insufficient.
I've repeatedly said it is only part of the solution. It's one that can be addressed quickly & will have an immediate impact. There's no need to use comprehensive reform as an excuse to addressing the asylum loopholes & the abuse of the asylum process.

The right wing nativists have throughout much of US history sought to apply racial/ethnic/religious and related tests to determine who is 'desirable' and who is not; and the asylum challenge is very much in this stream of nativist restriction.Oh BS ! That's just an excuse for non-action & giving a wink & a nod to the current abuse.

Want to deal with immigration pressure? Don't give any oxygen at all to the nativists, often simply white nationalists; and address the challenge comprehensively not piecemeal.Oh good grief. You see white nationalist boogeymen everywhere. Look at the election results in south Texas, there are a lot nationalist boogeyman voters who are not white.
None of your solutions are imminent. The asylum loophole could be easily closed by a single, simple act of Congress. Telling that you fix the blame on the current administration (like the problem just began while they were in charge & they abandoned the measutres undertaken to address it) and we didn't hear this diatribe when the last administration was in place either. Then you were not reading my posts about the court decisions expanding the loopholes which Obama's DHS under Jeh Jonson were addressing until the courts intervened.

And you give a complete pass to the elected representatives in Congress who have opted to do NOTHING about any of it for the past 20+ years. Hell, they even reneged and failed to deal with a simple fix for Dreamers. No I do not. Congress is the main culprit. That Admin in office can do a lot to deter or encourage the abuse of the asylum process until Congress closes the asylum loopholes.

We have a labor shortage currently, especially at the low end of the wage scales and given our depressed birth rates over the past 20 years, increased immigration is critical to our future economic growth and prosperity. You only need to look at the historical record.
I agree. The increases need to come lawfully & not via exploiting loopholes in the asylum process.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:29 pm The asylum loophole could be easily closed by a single, simple act of Congress.
Ah, so you DO get it.

Thank you.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:06 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:49 pm

Blah, blah, blah. + TLD inane chirping. Still no answer to my question.
Crops were once picked by Ceasar Chavez's braseros. Then by Mexican men & some young women who entered illegally, leaving their family behind.
The US asylum laws cannot be used by Mexicans & Canadians. Central Americans began using the asylum loophole when Pueblo sin Fronteras began organizing caravans of Northern triangle migrants within the last decade. Then the cartels figured out the asylum scam & exploited it on an increasing scale. That opened the floodgates from Central American & now from Latin America & increasingly, the rest of the globe. The migrants claiming asylum overburden the system because many now bring their families or send unaccompanied minors. If you do not recognize the change within the past decade, you are willfully ignoring what's happening, what has changed & why.
I don’t develop immigration policy and you don’t either. It’s fairy tale talk by you. The people in charge haven’t done anything for years is all I need to know. Write your congressman Old Nativist.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:33 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:29 pm The asylum loophole could be easily closed by a single, simple act of Congress.
Ah, so you DO get it.

Thank you.
So easily and yet it’s not closed. Huh, I wonder why?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Ah, so you DO get it.

Thank you.
:roll: ...that's hardly the first time I have posted that. How else do you think loopholes in US law are closed ?
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:37 pm
Ah, so you DO get it.

Thank you.
:roll: ...that's hardly the first time I have posted that. How else do you think loopholes in US law are closed ?
:lol: You have NEVER blamed Trump and McConnell for leaving that loophole open, or for not fixing immigration as a whole.

You lay 100% of it on the Dems. Always have.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:35 pm
Ah, so you DO get it.

Thank you.
So until Congress acts, reverse everything previously done to address the problem & deter exploitation of the asylum process, which consumes DHS resources needed to enforce immigration laws & maintain border security.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:35 pm
Ah, so you DO get it.

Thank you.
You know....if I didn't know better, I'd say that our leaders don't want to close this loophole.

But that's not possible, because that would mean that American politicians are lying to their voters.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:41 pm So until Congress acts, reverse everything previously done to address the problem & deter exploitation of the asylum process, which consumes DHS resources needed to enforce immigration laws & maintain border security.
:lol: Look who got the message? Yeppers, is your answer.

Didn't learn your lesson that you have to work though Congress after Trump reneged on the JCPOA?

You seemed REAL happy when Trump did that. Lectured us on the importance of Congress, and treaties.

Don't like it so much now that it happened to something YOU want done, is that it?
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:40 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:37 pm
Ah, so you DO get it.

Thank you.
:lol: You have NEVER blamed Trump and McConnell for leaving that loophole open, or for not fixing immigration as a whole.

You lay 100% of it on the Dems. Always have.
No I haven't The best chance we had was in 2013 -- when Boehner & conservative (R)'s in the House would not take up the comp reform bill passed by the Senate, insisting that it be voted on in a piecemeal fashion, which the Senate would not do. That was the closest we've come. You have selective amnesia about our discussions here & on LP before.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:48 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:41 pm So until Congress acts, reverse everything previously done to address the problem & deter exploitation of the asylum process, which consumes DHS resources needed to enforce immigration laws & maintain border security.

Didn't learn your lesson that you have to work though Congress after Trump reneged on the JCPOA?

You seemed REAL happy when Trump did that. Lectured us on the importance of Congress, and treaties.

Don't like it so much now that it happened to something YOU want done, is that it?
Treaties are not the same thing as US laws. JCPOA was neither. It was a Presidential Executive Action binding at the discretion of the serving President.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:48 pm No I haven't The best chance we had was in 2013 -- when Boehner & conservative (R)'s in the House would not take up the comp reform bill passed by the Senate, insisting that it be voted on in a piecemeal fashion, which the Senate would not do. That was the closest we've come. You have selective amnesia about our discussions here & on LP before.
Utter buffalo bagels.......Trump passed his corporate tax cuts with no trouble at all, using nothing but R's.

And you're here with a straight face, telling us that gee whiz, they just couldn't shut the asylum loophole.

Sell it somewhere else.
a fan

Post by a fan »

duplicate
Last edited by a fan on Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:51 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:48 pm

It was a Presidential Executive Action binding at the discretion of the serving President.
So is Biden's handling of the border. Don't like it? Next time, hold your R President responsible for not doing what he campaigned on, OS.

Or do you REALLY think that and your R buddies foaming at the mouth over "open borders" after Trump left office is just a coincidence?

Hey! We're almost at an election this fall! Don't forget to vote Republican, OS. Because they promise they'll fix immigration and your loophole. They'll close those borders if you vote for them!

No....really! They like totally mean it this time! :lol:

Return to “POLITICS”