Transfer Portal 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Transfer Portal 2023

Post by OCanada »

OCanada wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:41 pm Major changes are coming over the next decade. The changes will potentially, and most likely, effect D-l on a massive scale.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:03 pm
keno in reno wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:19 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:14 pm
Tonyp2566 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:11 pm Watching ncaa baseball & they just said well over a 1000 players have already entered the portal. All the top teams are still playing. That seems ridiculously crazy to me.
https://fansided.com/2022/04/02/lsu-bas ... ortal/amp/

Basketball and football are being destroyed by NLI. Soon the power 5 will be breaking away from the NCAA it’s inevitable. Money is ruining college sports.
How are basketball and football being destroyed?
Not paying attention? Players transferring from schools to other schools that are giving them more money. Ohio state’s HC said they’ll need 13M+ In NIL money to keep the players they have this year. College players are making more then rookie NFL draft picks. In basketball, the starting PG of Miami entered the portal and told the school he’d stay if they gave him more money. I’m all for them making money but this isn’t what NIL was supposed to do.
So the competition will be overwhelmingly skewed to Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Notre Dame, Ohio State, LSU, Texas A&M, USC, Texas, Clemson and a few other teams? How is that a destruction?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

OCanada wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:16 pm
OCanada wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:41 pm Major changes are coming over the next decade. The changes will potentially, and most likely, effect D-l on a massive scale.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Mullins to PSU

Air Force: Aidan Tolen (A)
Army: Marcus Hudgins (D)
Bellarmine: Matt Ury (LSM) #
Binghamton: Teddy Dolan (G) #-> Maryland, Kevin Winkoff (A) #
Boston U.: Christian Brofft (M)
Brown: George Pike (M) #, Darian Cook (A) #, Cameron Fiore (G) #, Andy Demopoulos (G), Brian Antonelli (A)#
Bryant: Logan McGovern (A) #, Bennet Abladian (A)
Bucknell: Alston Tarry (A) #, Jack Van Slyke (G)#
Colgate: Thor Adamec (LSM) #, Will Sidari (D) #, Ryan Decker (M) #-> Rutgers, Brian Minicus (A) # -> Georgetown
Dartmouth: Peter Rizzotti (LSM) #, Danny Hincks (G) #->Georgetown
Delaware: Peter Ripperger (G) #
Denver: Tim Sheehan (M), Ethan Kriss (FO), Alex Simmons (A/M) # -> Syracuse
Drexel: Brennan Greenwald (LSM) #
Fairfield: Kyle Borda (M) #, James Corasaniti (G) #, Tyler Wuchte (M) #, Trevor Ford (M) #, Patrick Drake (M) #, Brendan Dreyer (M) #, David Dorsett (M) #, Brian Reda (A) #
Georgetown: Dylan Watson (A) # -> Jacksonville
Harvard: Austin Madronic (A) #, Jackson Hartje (LSM) #, Oliver Hollo (LSM/D) #, Kyle Mullin(G) # ->Rutgers
High Point: Devon Buckshot (A), Tyler Hendrycks (A)
Hobart: Derrek Madonna (M) #, Ryan Dickson (FO) #
Hofstra: Jacob Addeche (G) #
Holy Cross: Peter Dobbs (G) #, Chris Conlin (D) #-> Notre Dame, AJ Fox (G) #
Lehigh: Tommy Schelling (A) #, Cole Kirst (A) # -> Syracuse
LIU: Richie LaCalandra (A) -> OSU
Loyola: Riley Seay (M) #, Patrick Yowan (G) and Joey Annetta (D)
Marist: JT Roselle (LSM)
Marquette: Hudson Thomson (A), Russell Melendez (A)-> Johns Hopkins
Maryland: Jack Schirtzer (D), Michael Ubriaco (LSM) #, Justin Sherrer (LSM)
Mercer: Sean Goldsmith (A) # -> UNC, Matthew Winegardner (A) -> Marquette
Michigan: Ronald Fisher (M), John Kiracofe (G)# -> Towson, Gavin Legg (LSM) #
Mount St. Mary’s: Jake Kreiger (M) #, Jared McMahon (A) #, Connor McMahon(M) #-> Bryant
North Carolina: Jacob Kelly (A) # ~> Georgetown, Nicky Solomon (A) # -> Georgetown, Chase Mullins (FO) -> Penn State
Notre Dame: Davis Allen (M) # ->Fairfield, Griffin Hawthorne (D) #
Penn: Jamie Zusi (FO) #
Penn State: Brody Firestein (M), Lake Baker (FO), Canyon Birch (A)
Providence: Richie Hughson (FO)-> Penn State
Quinnipiac: Owen Boss (A), Will Abbott (M) #
Richmond: Griffin Kology (D) -> Virginia
Robert Morris: James Christoforatos (D) #
Rutgers: Cole Daninger (SSDM) #, Jonathan Taub (D) #
Sacred Heart: Donovan Lacey (M) # -> Maryland
Saint Joseph’s: Jake Engelke (A)
Siena: Sean Swenson (D)
St. John's: Jonathan Huber (A) #-> Stony Brook
Stony Brook: Anthony Palma (G) #
Syracuse: Tucker Dordevic (M) #->Georgetown, Mikey Berkman (A) #, Jack Savage (FO), Shahe Katchadurian (G), Jack Kennedy (D), Matteo Corsi (A/M), Bobby Gavin (G)
Towson: Mo Sillah (LSM) #, Drew Martin (M) #
Utah: Bryce Cheek (G) #
UMass Lowell: Conor Foley (A)
UMBC: Nick Dupuis (A)
Vermont: Thomas McConvey (M) # -> Virginia, Salvatore Iaria (M)
Virginia: Corbin Switzer (D), Jack Simmons (M) # -> Notre Dame
Wagner: Stephen Dwyer (A) # -> St. Joe's
Yale: Joe Neuman (FO) # -> Rutgers, Chris Fake (D) #, Brian Tevlin (M) #, Luke Eschbach (M) #

Division 2/3
Amherst (D3): PJ Clementi (A) #
Catholic (D3): Kevin Crowley (A) #
Christopher Newport (D3): Brady Altobello (M) #
Gettysburg (D3): Griffin Gallagher (M) #, Tate Keinzle (DM) #
Lynchburg: Kyle Lewis (A) # -> OSU
Nichols: Scott Ehrenberg (FO) # -> Merrimack
Salisbury (D3): Jarrett Bromwell (M) #
St. Lawrence (D3): William Helm (G) #
Kenyon (D3): Joe Bolea (ssdm) # -> Syracuse, Declan Curry (M)# -> Sacred Heart

Key
* = in the portal for 2024 season
# = Graduate Transfer
BOLD = most recent update
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

This is going to be on a much larger scale, and at this pointed it is nearly completely unregulated.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

The last thing you want to bring in are
“regulators”.
Homer

Post by Homer »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:20 am The last thing you want to bring in are
“regulators”.
Absolutely yes yes yes. But the way you forestall that is by giving the credible appearance that you're meaningfully self-regulating. For some time, the NCAA understood that that was their one essential function. At some point, they either lost sight of that or just lacked the institutional capacity to stay true to their mission with the flow of money coming in.
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

Penn State getting 2 of the fogos on the list. And the stuff about Tambroni running off Asst Coaches is crazy- Toner and Chris Doctor were with him for years, as was DeLuca at Cornell.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Homer wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:29 am
10stone5 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:20 am The last thing you want to bring in are
“regulators”.
Absolutely yes yes yes. But the way you forestall that is by giving the credible appearance that you're meaningfully self-regulating. For some time, the NCAA understood that that was their one essential function. At some point, they either lost sight of that or just lacked the institutional capacity to stay true to their mission with the flow of money coming in.
this likely shouldn't be on the transfer portal thread, but hoo cares? it's tangent.

feel a lot of people aren't up to speed on some of how we got here, and i'm not directing this at you, homer, just quoting you.

first, the nc$$ is -- roger goodell. if roger goodell was 1/32 of every owner. they are there to protect the school's/owner's interests, and they are in fact made of school prez's etc. that pull the strings with frontmen to deliver the message and policies. and that main interest is maximizing $$$ for the schools.

until athletes got some court wins, they had no reps at the table negotiating for them. just a closed market high in demand with limited supply. now with some court wins under their belt, they've gotten the justice department to sign on and be in their corner.

so what happens next? the nc$$ (and by that i mean member schools collectively and individually) will look to maximize $$ (as they always have) in this new environment, but now with the guardrails the justice dept and the courts have given them. maybe union next. i don't think anyone can say with any certainty how that all plays out.
Last edited by wgdsr on Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:50 pm
OCanada wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:16 pm
I got five. But then again my colleagues who are total jock sniffers were telling me I was crazy for thinking that the biggest 60-80 universities would pull away from the NCAA once they stopped seeing the utility of the organization to provide air cover. So maybe it’s ten.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Homer wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:29 am
“regulators”.
Then you go lobby and write white papers about how regulation should work and who you think would be a good head of said new body and presto! Regulatory capture. Then you can really push you’re chips all in with the Agency in your back pocket.
Terpslax1991

Post by Terpslax1991 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:47 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:28 pm
Tonyp2566 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:11 pm Watching ncaa baseball & they just said well over a 1000 players have already entered the portal. All the top teams are still playing. That seems ridiculously crazy to me.

Basketball and football are being destroyed by NLI. Soon the power 5 will be breaking away from the NCAA it’s inevitable. Money is ruining college sports.
Google “Saban Jimbo NIL”

In short, boosters and wealthy alums are straight up paying players to enroll at their school. The richest schools, and the schools with the wealthiest and most rabid alumni bases, will vacuum up all of the talent. The midmajor schools that have been successful recently (i.e. Boise State, Cinci, UCF) are not going to be able to compete for talent. The end result is going to be the “haves” breaking away to form their own league, probably independent of the NCAA.

Not sure that this will change alignment of non-revs, but athletic department funding for them may dry up, since that funding could be going to pay for FB and BB recruits.
Are you limited in the amount you can make for your time spent working?

You know this had been happening for 30+ years right? Reggie Bush, SMU in the 80s. It’s a running joke around the south back in the day that tracking who Auburn was recruiting was simply a matter of tracking Bobby lowders personal business plane with Colonial Bank painted on it. The NCAA is just an SRO that kept it opaque and the govt out of their pockets but like every other pig who gets slaughtered it wasn’t ever enough and they blew it.
This is the disconnect point, why can’t it be both things? The athletes deserve a cut but in this current environment with no rules and guidance it will run CFB and CBB into the ground.

If someone doesn’t step in and create some order this is going to suck.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Terpslax1991 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:25 am

Google “Saban Jimbo NIL”

In short, boosters and wealthy alums are straight up paying players to enroll at their school. The richest schools, and the schools with the wealthiest and most rabid alumni bases, will vacuum up all of the talent. The midmajor schools that have been successful recently (i.e. Boise State, Cinci, UCF) are not going to be able to compete for talent. The end result is going to be the “haves” breaking away to form their own league, probably independent of the NCAA.

Not sure that this will change alignment of non-revs, but athletic department funding for them may dry up, since that funding could be going to pay for FB and BB recruits.

You know this had been happening for 30+ years right? Reggie Bush, SMU in the 80s. It’s a running joke around the south back in the day that tracking who Auburn was recruiting was simply a matter of tracking Bobby lowders personal business plane with Colonial Bank painted on it. The NCAA is just an SRO that kept it opaque and the govt out of their pockets but like every other pig who gets slaughtered it wasn’t ever enough and they blew it.
This is the disconnect point, why can’t it be both things? The athletes deserve a cut but in this current environment with no rules and guidance it will run CFB and CBB into the ground.

Why should it? If the “market” demands something it demands it. Like free agency in pro sports destroyed them. These are the arguments of fans that have only emotional (and unfortunately in many personal identity) skin in the game but no effort or personal capital at stake (it’s a low opportunity cost for those who devote themselves to sports fandom).

They had adults. A whole universe of college administrators, a faux SRO, coaches, alums. All these people with power and money made the choices they made and they represent the sport along with the still kid athletes.

AND…all the fans watched and loved it the way it was which speaks more about the fans disgusting indifference (along with those in charge) thereby making their claims that it’s ruining the sport and related demands of little value. Yelling from the cheap seats while looking in other peoples pockets.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

This won’t destroy D3 football and basketball. Where amateurism and student athletes will continue to thrive.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Back to the topic of this thread: Is anyone surprised there are so relatively few transfers so far?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:42 am
Terpslax1991 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:25 am

Google “Saban Jimbo NIL”

Why should it? If the “market” demands something it demands it. Like free agency in pro sports destroyed them. These are the arguments of fans that have only emotional (and unfortunately in many personal identity) skin in the game but no effort or personal capital at stake (it’s a low opportunity cost for those who devote themselves to sports fandom).

They had adults. A whole universe of college administrators, a faux SRO, coaches, alums. All these people with power and money made the choices they made and they represent the sport along with the still kid athletes.

AND…all the fans watched and loved it the way it was which speaks more about the fans disgusting indifference (along with those in charge) thereby making their claims that it’s ruining the sport and related demands of little value. Yelling from the cheap seats while looking in other peoples pockets.
Saw this posted by my cousin today:

“Spoke with a D1 coach looking for an immediate cornerback transfer, and possibly linebacker, defensive lineman! DM me if you’re interested!!”

I hope it all falls apart. Go basic model with athletic/academic money and let everyone else go play in a farm league. Set some post college money aside and lifetime free education.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Nassaufan wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:02 am Back to the topic of this thread: Is anyone surprised there are so relatively few transfers so far?
I am surprised as well, but last year a lot of players waited a while to announce their decisions. Khan, Donville, Murphy, Trippi and others didn't make their plans known publicity until late June/early July. I think because a lot of players decided in a rush at the end of the year, this spell of relative quiet has been strange.

There are a number of players who apparently have been in the portal a long time - Madronic, Silah and Rizzoti have been known for almost a year. Interesting that they haven't announced anywhere yet.
Typical Lax Dad

Powellfan22 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:36 am
Nassaufan wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:02 am Back to the topic of this thread: Is anyone surprised there are so relatively few transfers so far?
I am surprised as well, but last year a lot of players waited a while to announce their decisions. Khan, Donville, Murphy, Trippi and others didn't make their plans known publicity until late June/early July. I think because a lot of players decided in a rush at the end of the year, this spell of relative quiet has been strange.

There are a number of players who apparently have been in the portal a long time - Madronic, Silah and Rizzoti have been known for almost a year. Interesting that they haven't announced anywhere yet.
I believe Madronic has another year at Harvard before he takes his eligibility elsewhere. He went in the portal in 2020, I believe. It was very early.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:43 am

I believe Madronic has another year at Harvard before he takes his eligibility elsewhere. He went in the portal in 2020, I believe. It was very early.
he's done at harvard
Typical Lax Dad

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:46 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:43 am

he's done at harvard
Ok. I misread the #. He’s a terrific player.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”