Transfer Portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
suffolk

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by suffolk »

jff97 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:48 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:09 pm
suffolk wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:43 pm There are now five Terps that I know of in the portal.
Who?
Parsing through IG bios, Hogarth is the only one transferring with two or more years of eligibility who got significant PT in College Park. Some others could be transferring for their COVID year, but I don't know enough to know if that's the case or they're just done playing. Also Donovan transferring in is all but official.
https://twitter.com/W_Brown21/status/15 ... 2094044161
If they are done playing they wouldn't be entering the portal. By my count four of the five have at least two years of eligibility remaining, but you are correct only Hograth received a lot of playing time. I will say all five of the girls transferring were really highly regarded of out of high school. No doubt the Terps will be loaded next year. There is no team close to returning the talent that they have and now you add Donovan, Rheude, Maddy Sterling and Edmondson to the mix. Wow, just an incredibly talented team. On paper they could be like their male counterparts from this past season.

I also think when a program brings in a lot of talented transfers it obviously makes playing time for players that the Terps recruited out of high school much more difficult. Thus you have at least five girls transfer out.
Testudo98

Post by Testudo98 »

suffolk wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:38 pm
suffolk wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:43 pm There are now five Terps that I know of in the portal.
Who?
Parsing through IG bios, Hogarth is the only one transferring with two or more years of eligibility who got significant PT in College Park. Some others could be transferring for their COVID year, but I don't know enough to know if that's the case or they're just done playing. Also Donovan transferring in is all but official.
If they are done playing they wouldn't be entering the portal. By my count four of the five have at least two years of eligibility remaining, but you are correct only Hograth received a lot of playing time. I will say all five of the girls transferring were really highly regarded of out of high school. No doubt the Terps will be loaded next year. There is no team close to returning the talent that they have and now you add Donovan, Rheude, Maddy Sterling and Edmondson to the mix. Wow, just an incredibly talented team. On paper they could be like their male counterparts from this past season.

I also think when a program brings in a lot of talented transfers it obviously makes playing time for players that the Terps recruited out of high school much more difficult. Thus you have at least five girls transfer out.
Kennedy Major is coming off an injury too. She’s definitely a starter.

Kori will push for a starting position freshman year. She’s that good.

Cathy really needs a veteran middie and a couple of attackers from the portal. Then she and the staff will work their magic.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Who?

Some of it has to do with players on the roster with potential COVID years. Their 2019 class has a ton of contributors. That's the last group that got an extra year, and when you add Smith and Clevenger that's a lot of players with two years of eligibility left. Not a lot of potential opportunities over the next two years for players lower on the depth chart.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

jff97 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:18 pm
Who?

Some of it has to do with players on the roster with potential COVID years. Their 2019 class has a ton of contributors. That's the last group that got an extra year, and when you add Smith and Clevenger that's a lot of players with two years of eligibility left. Not a lot of potential opportunities over the next two years for players lower on the depth chart.
Jordyn Lipkin is going to be a superstar.
njbill

Post by njbill »

That cause she’s a Jersey girl. ;) I’m a big fan.

First saw her in the summer/fall of 2020 in the UA underclass. Was really, really impressed with her. She was the best player on the Jersey team. I think the only reason she didn’t win NJ player of the year in 2021 was because she was hurt for part of the season.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Old Bay addict wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:08 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:51 pm
Warehime! Wow!
Watched her most every weekend during club years. Talented off ball finisher with a high IQ. Portal move not surprising as I can’t see how she did not get back into the Carolina rotation after coming back from injury this year?

I’m sure she is getting a lot of interest, but Maryland makes a lot of sense
I love Taylor and respect her so much as a player. Unfortunately she got dinged up twice during her career which set her back. This year was even tougher with the two transfers who came in which took playing time away. After Geiersbach and Aldave TM you had Ortega, Wurzburger and Growney. That’s a tough attack unit to break into and coming off an injury makes it even harder.

I wish TW was heading back to Chapel Hill where they would really need her in ‘23. Good luck TW wherever you land.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Hannah Van Middelem of Cuse -> Pitt
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:18 am
Who?

Define superstar? I think that term is often used loosely? All American? On a team with multiple stars where will she rank?
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Lax101 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:56 pm
Who?

Define superstar? I think that term is often used loosely? All American? On a team with multiple stars where will she rank?
Tewaaraton candidate
D-Lax

Post by D-Lax »

Sam played on the USA u19 Squad, which Coach Ange Bradley was head coach of. Ange knows who she is getting, and the team is going to get a ridiculously athletic, hard working, and great team first student-athlete.
watcherinthewoods wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:50 pm What she has working for her is speed and athleticism ... and the fact that the field hockey has lost many of the top athletes in the last generation to soccer and lax in the US. USA FH has had some rocky times as of late and is trying to rebuild. It looks like quite a few kids she played with/against in HS are on the roster.

Working against her will obviously be the time off and the prevalence of European players on roster who tend to specialize in FH early.

Ange Bradley is one the best coaches in D1 FH.
UO22

Post by UO22 »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Cathy really needs a veteran middie and a couple of attackers from the portal. Then she and the staff will work their magic.
[/quote]

Wiesman (sp?) is another player coming in who can play both Mid and attack. Not saying she is better than Kori, but she seems to be faster.

IMO this MD class is really solid and has some real impact players.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Testudo98 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:03 pm
Who?

I love Kennedy but not sure how she's definitely a starter this year. Bosco, Lamoureux and Peduzzi are back. Marge Donovan is coming in. Maddie Sanchez has another year of eligibility left if she wants to use it. So at least 3 of the starters from last year are returning and an all-american is transferring in from Princeton for her 5th year. It's going to be tough for any defender to crack that lineup at MD this year. Perhaps they can run Kennedy out of the box as a d middie?
iloovzelax

Post by iloovzelax »

I saw a reference recently that this past year Alabama had 25 football players transfer and Notre Dame had 15! While I don't think Women's Lacrosse will get anywhere near that (for many reasons), it will probably be more of a factor in the future with the ability to play right away and the competitiveness of many programs.

Hopefully the transfer portal activity will slow down greatly after the 2023 grad class is finished (they are the last ones to have an extra year of Covid eligibility).

My D's team recently was alerted to two incoming transfers this fall, both using the Covid extra year.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:01 pm
Lax101 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:56 pm
Who?

Tewaaraton candidate
One thing I can say for certain is that Essexfenwick exudes hyperbole out of every pore of his body when it comes to MD wlax.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

hmmm wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:48 am
Who?

I love Kennedy but not sure how she's definitely a starter this year. Bosco, Lamoureux and Peduzzi are back. Marge Donovan is coming in. Maddie Sanchez has another year of eligibility left if she wants to use it. So at least 3 of the starters from last year are returning and an all-american is transferring in from Princeton for her 5th year. It's going to be tough for any defender to crack that lineup at MD this year. Perhaps they can run Kennedy out of the box as a d middie?
Speaking of Kennedys - whatever happened to Kennedy Williamson the top defender who signed with MD out of the 2020 class?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

@inthe8m wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:19 pm
hmmm wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:48 am
Who?

Speaking of Kennedys - whatever happened to Kennedy Williamson the top defender who signed with MD out of the 2020 class?
She quit lacrosse after high school.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Some are staying put.

https://twitter.com/sienawlax/status/15 ... 72898?s=21

Any BC Eagles in the portal?
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Trinity McPherson (Hopkins) -> Denver. Wasn’t expecting that but the Pios got a GREAT one!
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

glaxer24 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:06 pm Trinity McPherson (Hopkins) -> Denver. Wasn’t expecting that but the Pios got a GREAT one!
Is McPherson a grad transfer?
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

@inthe8m wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:34 pm
glaxer24 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:06 pm Trinity McPherson (Hopkins) -> Denver. Wasn’t expecting that but the Pios got a GREAT one!
Is McPherson a grad transfer?
Yes!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”