Transfer Portal 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Exlaxbro

Re: Transfer Portal 2023

Post by Exlaxbro »

I do not disagree but there are a handful of young guys that I recognize on the list that have 3-4 years left and they do not seem to be off the board. My thought was the 5th year guys who could help ASAP would be gone and they seem like most are. I thought the younger guys might be gone too by now so I wondered if it was the bloated rosters and scholarship money holding it up.
Laxmaninamillion

Post by Laxmaninamillion »

My question is what happens to the guys who enter the portal and don’t get offers elsewhere? Are they welcomed back at their previous school? I see freshmen entering the portal. Obviously they are unhappy where they are. Let’s assume they don’t get offered a spot somewhere else. Is the coach really going to take them back? Burning bridges so early.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:19 am My question is what happens to the guys who enter the portal and don’t get offers elsewhere? Are they welcomed back at their previous school? I see freshmen entering the portal. Obviously they are unhappy where they are. Let’s assume they don’t get offered a spot somewhere else. Is the coach really going to take them back? Burning bridges so early.
Depends on the coach and the circumstances surrounding the departure. Once you enter the portal, it is certainly not incumbent on any coach to take you back on a change of mind................ If the player is valuable and no broken bridges, good chance the player is allowed to return. Otherwise, less likely.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

If the player entered for a good reason why would they want to go back to the same bad situation that put them in the portal in the first place? My guess is either the player moves down a division or ends their career. I don’t see other options.
FCCTlaxFan

Post by FCCTlaxFan »

blue angels wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:40 am
Laxmaninamillion wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:19 am My question is what happens to the guys who enter the portal and don’t get offers elsewhere? Are they welcomed back at their previous school? I see freshmen entering the portal. Obviously they are unhappy where they are. Let’s assume they don’t get offered a spot somewhere else. Is the coach really going to take them back? Burning bridges so early.
Depends on the coach and the circumstances surrounding the departure. Once you enter the portal, it is certainly not incumbent on any coach to take you back on a change of mind................ If the player is valuable and no broken bridges, good chance the player is allowed to return. Otherwise, less likely.
I think Payton Cormier from UVA entered the portal a few years. He ended up back at UVA and had a great run. Everyone has their own unique situation.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Exlaxbro wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:59 am I do not disagree but there are a handful of young guys that I recognize on the list that have 3-4 years left and they do not seem to be off the board. My thought was the 5th year guys who could help ASAP would be gone and they seem like most are. I thought the younger guys might be gone too by now so I wondered if it was the bloated rosters and scholarship money holding it up.
I am no longer a coach, but if I were, I'd only look to the portal to fill needs that I was absolutely unable to fill through recruiting, especially if I was comparing players with an equivalent amount of long-term eligibility. I'd have just done a bunch of diligence on the HS players and, for better or worse, I'd be inclined to view underclassmen in the portal as slightly damaged goods.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Interesting take. My thoughts are this group of young players are unique in that they likely had some of their high school careers taken from them and they went to a place where there was a backlog of players. Remove covid and I would agree transfers are often damaged goods. Not always but often.
Terpslax1991

Post by Terpslax1991 »

Exlaxbro wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:37 am Is this the trend in the portal where guys are not coming off the board very fast? There is a lot of good talent on here that do not seem to have found a home yet.
This portal lacks impact players. I don’t see any AA’s there, sorry Tucker.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Exlaxbro wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:53 am Interesting take. My thoughts are this group of young players are unique in that they likely had some of their high school careers taken from them and they went to a place where there was a backlog of players. Remove covid and I would agree transfers are often damaged goods. Not always but often.
All true - it's certainly a complicated situation. I'd just be cautious when adding more long-term players to my already crowded roster, particularly kids leaving a different, crowded roster.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

I get it from both sides. It is a really hard situation that the COVID decision by the NCAA has created. I tend to root for the because this is their only chance at youth.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

No comments on the fact that Cuse has SEVEN players in the portal?

Is Gait cleaning house or is something more going on?

I guess I could take this to the Cuse board - but did he carry large or small rosters when coaching the women? Did he clean house when he stepped into that role?
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
smoova

Post by smoova »

Exlaxbro wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:05 pm I get it from both sides. It is a really hard situation that the COVID decision by the NCAA has created. I tend to root for the because this is their only chance at youth.
Absolutely. All of the HS kids in the 2020/2021/2022/2023 classes lost a year of lacrosse ... and then the NCAA stepped in to crotch-kick them. Terrible situation.

(And, yes, farfromgeneva, I understand that the NCAA owed those kids absolutely nothing - it is a brutally myopic and transactional organization.)
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

HooDat wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:14 pm No comments on the fact that Cuse has SEVEN players in the portal?

I guess I could take this to the Cuse board - but did he carry large or small rosters when coaching the women? Did he clean house when he stepped into that role?
Yes, he brought players in post-season and several were told that weren't part of the "plan"...
LaxDad1967

Post by LaxDad1967 »

FMUBart wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:26 pm
HooDat wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:14 pm No comments on the fact that Cuse has SEVEN players in the portal?

Yes, he brought players in post-season and several were told that weren't part of the "plan"...
Have also heard this. Much like his sideline attire, he is “strictly business”. I see no problem with the approach. Better than lying to kids. Let them make a decision based on actual info - especially with the transfer portal as crazy as it is
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

1766 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:24 pm
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:16 pm
1766 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:34 pm There are people that aren't listed above that are transferring to other schools. At least two that I am aware of.
Why is Daninger leaving? He was pretty good I thought.
He is good. Likely wants to move on in life after graduating. As we all know, division 1 lacrosse is a grind. I never fault any player who graduates and decides to move on to the next chapter in life. I'm not certain he's made that decision completely though. Either way, helluva a player and a great career On the Banks.
Don't know if he is just testing the waters but per Xanders he is now in the Portal.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

LaxDad1967 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:32 pm
FMUBart wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:26 pm

Have also heard this. Much like his sideline attire, he is “strictly business”. I see no problem with the approach. Better than lying to kids. Let them make a decision based on actual info - especially with the transfer portal as crazy as it is
Syracuse losses quite a few kids to the transfer portal every year, Gait did a big roster trim down last year post fall ball. Not sure which gets were told to hit the road and which left on their own volition. Dordevic is obviously a huge loss, no getting around that. We've already spent enough time discussing it though. Corsi is a loss as well as he showed some serious signs of promise last year (two goals against Duke). But he apparently wanted to play attack and that position looks crowded next year for the Orange as is.

Not to be dismissive but not sure if the other players would have seen much time next season. Berkman was benched at the end of the season and his replacement (Birtwistle) put up really good numbers. He'd be hard pressed to win his job back. Shae Katchadurian didn't play at all despite the two goalies in front of him really struggle. Gavin just didn't work out, he was given tons of chances but really struggled throughout the year, save for a two game stretch against Stony Brook. Jack Savage walking away is dissapointing since he looked to have some real promise, but he didn't play outside of one game last season.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

FCCTlaxFan wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:50 am
blue angels wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:40 am
I think Payton Cormier from UVA entered the portal a few years. He ended up back at UVA and had a great run. Everyone has their own unique situation.
Agree. Every situation is different, but Similar ocurred with Xander Dickson. Kids want to play, and that 1st year away from home isn’t always easy. Some times, patience gets rewarded. Xander had to wait a little longer, but now has 2 title rings and played a prominent part. Few good players can say they have one.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Ty Xander twitter
A few intriguing names that recently went in the grad transfer portal:
— Cole Daninger, SSDM, @RUmlax; made a significant impact all four years
— Jamie Zusi, F/O, @PennMensLax; All-Ivy HM, 54% in ‘22
—Brian Antonelli, A, @BrownLacrosse; broke through for 32g/4a this spring

Per Chris jastrzembski
Being told that Matthew Winegardner will be transferring to Marquette for his final two years of eligibility. Winegardner had 16 goals and 9 assists last year for Mercer.

Also JT Roselle, MAAC LSM of the Year for Marist, is entering the Transfer Portal.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:29 am Meyers getting after it.
But is Knox back? He disappeared ... was it injury or something else? Either way, I'm not sure I'd rely on him.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”