2022 Women’s Lacrosse World Championship

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: 2022 Women’s Lacrosse World Championship

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:52 pm Duke's Olivia Jenner played UNC 8 times 2016-2019. For two years, she and North shared the field in Durham; during these years, Jenner was a leader on the field and North's job was to score (she did not take the draw). Once she moved to BC, North likewise began taking the draw and was undoubtedly the leader of her team. So I think it's especially important to compare these two players in their last two seasons, during which North played UNC 5 times and lost by an average of 4.0 goals including one 10+ goal blowout loss, while Jenner played UNC 3 times and lost by an average of 9.67 goals including two blowouts.

Scoring: North 22g (2.75 per game), 4a, .33sh%; Jenner 16g (2.0 per game), 3a, .48sh%. In the same number of games over their careers, North posted 6 more goals despite taking twice as many shots (66 vs 33) against the Heels. As upperclassmen, Jenner averaged 3.67g per game shooting at .69, to North's 3.2 and .33, respectively.

Draws: North 26 (3.25 per game); Jenner 66 (8.25 per game). Not surprising, since Jenner had a couple more years in the circle. As upperclassmen, Jenner pulled down 9.67 dc per game (range 8-12), compared to North's 5.0 per game (range 0-8).

Jenner gets an edge in GBs (0.75 per game vs North's 0.38), while North claims 2 CTOs to Jenner's 1. TOs are equal at 10 apiece.

But clearly this means nothing, since Jenner played 2016-2019 and the only acceptable time period for comparison is 2018-2022. Those UNC teams Jenner faced the first couple years, which won a national championship in 2016 and lost in the semifinals (EDIT: dropped the ball in the quarterfinals vs Navy) in 2017, were NOTHING like the teams North faced at BC, which lost in the semifinals in 2021 and won a national championship in 2022. Plus Jenner couldn't raise those straggling Duke teams to the level of UNC, while North came away with that one shining victory. Nobody has EVER done more against UNC than the exalted Charlotte North.

For the record, I hate that I just spent an hour digging through stats to take down an idiotic claim about someone who is objectively a great player and seems like a lovely person. Would be great if certain posters could stop saying dumb things.
Could have saved a lot of time digging. Duke never beat North Carolina during that block of time. Not applicable.

This was the original sentiment regarding North: "North 1-5 against UNC,1-8 if you throw in her time at Duke...."

This statement is where I got my storyline and my strict parameters for comparison with other players during that time frame.
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:52 pm seems like a lovely person.
Multiple posters have claimed on these boards that North is all about herself and cares not one whit for her teammates. The parents of certain players can't stand her. And other unflattering remarks have also been alleged about her. Far from a lovely person one might conclude after reading such comments.

Here she can't contain her joy when teammate Jenn Medjid scores against Loyola in the NCAA QF. North had nothing to do with the goal yet she is seen here leaping in celebration. Doesn't fit the narrative that North is a selfish person/teammate.

And here: the next generation loves North. One might say they idolize her.

I greatly admire Charlotte North. She has persevered through much in her life. She has been an electrifying player to watch over the years. I'm glad I was paying attention for her whole career, even back in the Duke days.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Can Opener wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:39 am three goals and an assist.
She had a nice scrimmage. Every time she got the ball there was an anticipation: how will she score, what will she do with the ball. She is The Great One of women's lacrosse. I'm guessing there will be many jaws resting on the field at Unitas Stadium during the world championship games beginning later this month when others witness what North can do on the world's stage. Looking forward to seeing that.

OuttaNowhereWregget

From Beth Ann Mayer’s USA Lacrosse article: 5 Takeaways from the U.S. Women's 15-8 Win Over Athletes Unlimited

Charlotte North will not play like a rookie.

If you expected North to take a backseat to the veteran stars she once looked up to, you thought wrong. She led the game in points and goals and looked like the player fans grew accustomed to seeing play at Boston College. North, who was the top pick in the Athlete’s Unlimited college draft, dodged through traffic, ripped shots and celebrated the players around her, much to the delight of the Long Island crowd — and her more seasoned teammates.

“Our veterans have done a great job of telling whoever comes into training camp, ‘Hey, you’re here for a reason. Show up and do your thing,’” Levy said. “That is a tribute to our veterans and how great they are in terms of creating a culture that is very welcoming and wanting the best to perform at the highest level.”

The fans are ready, too.

It’s one thing to say the game is growing. It’s another thing to see it in person. More than 2,000 fans came out to watch some of the best players on the planet scrimmage on a school night. And they stayed long after the final buzzer sounded. The “Char-lotte, Char-lotte” chants for the Team USA star could be heard from the LaValle Stadium parking lot.

“Look at all these kids here tonight,” Levy said, motioning to the LaValle Stadium crowd. “This wasn’t something that was here five years ago.”

After sold-out crowds at Homewood Field for the Final Four — and a record-breaking audience watching on ESPN — it’s clear there’s an increasing appetite for the sport. And it’s why this year’s team is playing for more than a medal.  

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/usa-insi ... -unlimited
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:16 am
Multiple posters have claimed on these boards that North is all about herself and cares not one whit for her teammates. The parents of certain players can't stand her. And other unflattering remarks have also been alleged about her. Far from a lovely person one might conclude after reading such comments.

Here she can't contain her joy when teammate Jenn Medjid scores against Loyola in the NCAA QF. North had nothing to do with the goal yet she is seen here leaping in celebration. Doesn't fit the narrative that North is a selfish person/teammate.

I greatly admire Charlotte North. She has persevered through much in her life. She has been an electrifying player to watch over the years. I'm glad I was paying attention for her whole career, even back in the Duke days.

What exactly has she had to persevere through? Please cite some examples….
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:31 am She is The Great One of women's lacrosse.
????
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:02 am From Beth Ann Mayer’s USA Lacrosse article: 5 Takeaways from the U.S. Women's 15-8 Win Over Athletes Unlimited

If you expected North to take a backseat to the veteran stars she once looked up to, you thought wrong. She led the game in points and goals and looked like the player fans grew accustomed to seeing play at Boston College. North, who was the top pick in the Athlete’s Unlimited college draft, dodged through traffic, ripped shots and celebrated the players around her, much to the delight of the Long Island crowd — and her more seasoned teammates.

“Our veterans have done a great job of telling whoever comes into training camp, ‘Hey, you’re here for a reason. Show up and do your thing,’” Levy said. “That is a tribute to our veterans and how great they are in terms of creating a culture that is very welcoming and wanting the best to perform at the highest level.”

The fans are ready, too.

It’s one thing to say the game is growing. It’s another thing to see it in person. More than 2,000 fans came out to watch some of the best players on the planet scrimmage on a school night. And they stayed long after the final buzzer sounded. The “Char-lotte, Char-lotte” chants for the Team USA star could be heard from the LaValle Stadium parking lot.

“Look at all these kids here tonight,” Levy said, motioning to the LaValle Stadium crowd. “This wasn’t something that was here five years ago.”

After sold-out crowds at Homewood Field for the Final Four — and a record-breaking audience watching on ESPN — it’s clear there’s an increasing appetite for the sport. And it’s why this year’s team is playing for more than a medal.  

You missed the part where she said that she didn’t see much chemistry…..and cited goalie play? It’s more a team of indiv players and it’s hard to get chemistry when you have that. I thought that was an Interesting comment. But it’s totally about the stars playing …they won’t need chemistry to beat up on all the teams they face
Bart

Post by Bart »

Laxfan500 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:11 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:02 am From Beth Ann Mayer’s USA Lacrosse article: 5 Takeaways from the U.S. Women's 15-8 Win Over Athletes Unlimited

The fans are ready, too.

You missed the part where she said that she didn’t see much chemistry…..and cited goalie play? It’s more a team of indiv players and it’s hard to get chemistry when you have that. I thought that was an Interesting comment. But it’s totally about the stars playing …they won’t need chemistry to beat up on all the teams they face
Chemistry takes time. Will they have enough? Idk. You are probably right on your assessment of their prospects however.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Bart wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:32 am

The fans are ready, too.

Chemistry takes time. Will they have enough? Idk. You are probably right on your assessment of their prospects however.
They have played enough together….I just think they team was picked for star power - not any real desire for chemistry. I just thought it was interesting that the IL reporter actually mentioned it .
Bart

Post by Bart »

Laxfan500 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:38 am
Bart wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:32 am

The fans are ready, too.

They have played enough together….I just think they team was picked for star power - not any real desire for chemistry. I just thought it was interesting that the IL reporter actually mentioned it .
I do think it is an interesting comment. This may throw this discussion off the rails here but I do not agree with your comment on the amount of time. In my experience chemistry team chemistry takes months to build. Months of practicing and playing together every day. Change one or two pieces of the puzzle and you are rebuilding that chemistry. This team has not had nearly enough time to develop any of what I would consider chemistry. Will they need it? I think not.

I have no idea if the team has the desire for chemistry or not. You are right that they are all highly regarded stars of the women's game. If it is noticeable to the reporter it is probably noticeable to others, including the team itself. Time will tell if that changes.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

The fans are ready, too.

The first paragraph is also more crediting the veteran players with the culture they've established & the type of environment that exists for rookies because of it.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:13 pm
Can Opener wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:20 pm I will never understand why seemingly intelligent adults spend so much time and energy ripping a young woman who has:
* Won back-to-back Tewaaraton awards
* Set the NCAA single season and career records for goals
* Led her team to an improbable NCAA championship last year after being ranked #13 in pre-season polls
* Emerged as a leading contributor on the US Women's National Team
* Dramatically increased energy and enthusiasm for the sport among young girls

I have posed this question several times of my friend from the Garden State and he has never willing to provide an honest answer. I mean, honestly, who gets out of bed every morning with the goal of criticizing a woman you don't know in an anonymous online forum? What is the possible motivation? Does anyone have the integrity to answer the question?

Pro tip: If you want to have any hint of credibility on this issue -- of which you currently have none -- you should at least acknowledge the remarkable accomplishments of the person before you return to ripping her.

It's not a Rip! Why can't you and ONW understand that? Are you both snowflakes? Stop the madness!!
People are allowed to question Charlotte's effectiveness as a player, question the program, question the other BC players, question the coaches and their decisions. There is nothing to say they have to "know the Young Women". To have that as some kind of litmus test is simply ridiculous.
Seacoaster criticized the Northwestern Coaches, specifically KAH. I read what he wrote and I defended her record. HOWEVER, he had every right to say what he said and it never was personal. It was always Lacrosse. I'm pretty sure he doesn't know Kelly(I do), but he wasn't required to do so before he commented.

CO and ONW...njbill never called Charlotte any bad name. He never called her a S***, H** or B****. Did he? If he did not and all he said was that he didn't feel she was a great player, or a very good passer or took too many shots, then he did nothing wrong. You don't have to like it, but those are the facts. If you can show otherwise, produce it...and not some vague sorta kinda crap.
I really just want to deal with all the aspects of Lacrosse and nothing else. Anything else, then you guys should check out the other sides of the FanLax Forum.
You can apply whatever verb you'd like, if the word "rip" doesn't suit you. Webster's says that it means to criticize or disparage. I think that fits with the volume of negativity on these boards toward a woman who has been voted twice as the best player in college lacrosse. You are correct that NJB never used derogatory terms like what I can imagine S, H & B represent. That's not my point. I am truly perplexed by what could possibly motivate an intelligent adult to spend so much time and energy criticizing a great player. (Can everyone here agree that she is at least one of the top five players in college lacrosse?) The sheer volume and inability to ever admit they were wrong is what I find so troubling with these posters. Of course people can have different opinions on a player's merit. Fine -- say it once or twice and move along. What NJB has never mustered the courage to do is to explain why a grown man is so motivated to launch these criticisms time and time again. He goes berserk if I say it seems weird or creepy, so again, supply your own descriptive word. You seem to be willing to answer for Bill, so what do you think the motivation is? This is more than just: "I think she's overrated." We could all imagine 100 better ways to spend our time than constantly criticizing a great player and refusing to admit that criticism was misplaced. I get that the constant haranguing of ONW is an attempt to drive him off FanLax. What is the goal of relentlessly criticizing CN? To drive her out of lacrosse? To teach her the error of her ways? To make her realize that her social media presence is backfiring among the college-educated 60+ male demographic?

Sorry to overwhelm readers, but the sheer volume of NJB's negativity is curious. A few samples of his comments:

North fans aren’t going to like this, but team chemistry is critical as is willingness to share the ball. It says here she won’t make the team.

Also, I think to be on the US team, you have to be an absolutely tiptop passer, which North is not. I think she is only OK for an elite attacker.

Prepare to be disappointed, Dad. She isn’t going to make the final team. What did Spallina say at the tryouts?

We’ll see. You can say there’s no way they aren’t taking her. I can say there’s no way they are. We don’t make the decision.

She is only a scorer. This team does not need more scorers.

​​Keep trying, Dad.

She ain’t making the national team. Bank on it.

Do you really want me to get into the other reasons? Didn’t think so.

You have an unhealthy, unnatural infatuation with this young woman. You pour over her stats again and again. You check her social media. And you call me creepy?

Larry, I, for one, appreciate the history lesson, but you are wasting your time on this can opener. He thinks Charlotte North is the best player of all time, and no one can tell him otherwise. And for goodness sake, he had never heard of Megan Whittle.

Carolina crushed Boston College on the draw. North got zero draws. They held her to two goals on eight shots. She turned the ball over a few times. The game plan certainly was to shut her down. That plan was a success. (Once again Trenchard shut down North. Why Colson was a Tewaaraton finalist and Trenchard wasn’t is a travesty.)

UNC won the draw 16-7. North got no draws. People have been touting her as a great draw collector, which she has been. But not today. She shot 2 for 8 and had several turnovers. I think she had a bad game. If you think otherwise, you of course are entitled to your opinion.

I don’t give North much credit, if any, for any good play from her teammates. If I am being doubled, and my teammates play well, I get credit? Don’t think I agree with that.

But North hurt her chances today because she had a sub par game, arguably even a poor game.

Pretty surprising that the three T finalists in this game are all coming up pretty small.

What is with North’s screeching when the draw is being set up?

Oh, forgot to ask CO for permission to say something critical about North.

That would explain when she is yelling names, but the screeching is exceedingly odd. Would be quite surprised if that is a play call.

Take a look at her assists to shots ratio (12/162=7.4%). Pathetic for a player who has the ball in her stick perhaps more than any other player in the game. And one who gets doubled a lot, which should allow for easy assists. Her assists should be multiples higher than they are.

BC won yesterday in spite of not because of North. If Hall hadn't been all world and had she allowed in a few more goals, the big story today would be that North choked.

You have very ably laid out the case in North's favor. On the other side of the ledger is the lingering feeling of some that she hogs the ball and celebrates too exuberantly.

She has been shut down twice now by Emma Trenchard. Disqualifying? No, but it hurts her case.

She had a bad game in the biggest game of her life, in the national semifinals.

As to the "silly" draw control argument, posters have argued quite a bit that her DC process should be factored into her Tewaaraton candidacy. Rightly so. Well, yesterday she came up goose eggs in that department. In the biggest game of her life. The seven her team got? What about the fact that she got ZERO herself? What about the 16 the other team got on her watch?

And then there were her turnovers. The box score has her with one. I counted at least two on the replay. And at least two of her shots were saved, which effectively were turnovers.

Where did she rank in terms of individual performances on her team? Well down the list. Behind Hall. Behind Medjid. Behind Smith. Behind Urbank (6 DCs). Behind local girl Mossman. Don't know the defenders well enough by name to list the ones that played well yesterday, but there are probably two or three who played better than North. So the Tewaaraton finalist was outplayed by a significant majority of her own teammates yesterday.

But it’s not irrelevant that she shot 0-2 in the fourth quarter of a tied National Championship game. Even SSB commented "where is North?" (not those exact words, but words to that effect).

As I said, if the Tewaaraton were an offense-only award, she not only wouldn't win, she wouldn't be a finalist.

You can make a similar argument about North. The coaches in her conference voted Ortega, not her, the best attacker in the ACC. North’s coach (per that male announcer who fawns over North the way a four-year-old fawns over a new puppy) said North is not the best shooter on BC. I presume she means it’s Medjid. When North took the biggest shot of her life, with four minutes to go and her team down by one, she shot directly into the goalie’s stick, effectively turning the ball over.

I don't know if you are "cool" or not, but sometimes your cluelessness astounds me… Nevertheless, your posts reveal a relative (relative to other posters here) ignorance of the women's game.

CO is North's father AND publicist.

I have no problem with North celebrating a big goal in the final game, or even a goal in a regular season game against UNC. What I think people had problems with was her going nuts when she scored her fourth goal in a blowout win over Podunk U.

You aren’t going to like hearing this, and you’ll call me a hater of course, but North has not had as good a year this year as last. Her goal production (her raison d’etre) is down 25% (yes, the season isn’t over). [CO note: she finished with 10% fewer goals and nearly 100% more assists in '22 compared to '21.]

Last year the intangible momentum was with North. This year it is with Ortega. I understand you may not see that as you don’t really follow women’s lacrosse.

If I were you, I’d take a long, hard look at this screaming tea leaf: Oretga was voted ACC attacker of the year, not North.
laxmommy09

Post by laxmommy09 »

can opener and cletus (or whatever you're calling yourself these days )
why dont you two get a job ? find something to do other than being north cheerleaders. because next year womens college lacrosse will be moving on to the next new thing
njbill

Post by njbill »

Can Man, you crack me up. :lol: I am so far inside your head I know you better than you know yourself. You just spent an hour of your day devoted to me. I'm so honored. But you did miss a few. Try to do better.

Since you enjoy my comments on North so much, here's another one for you.

Did you notice in the first half of the game the other night when she went rogue and turned into me-first Charlotte? She scored, but her senior teammates, instead of hugging her as normally occurs after a goal, clearly were chastising her for selfish play. And then the coaches took her out shortly thereafter.

I hope that doesn't make your head explode since I'm inside it. :lol:
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxmommy09 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:49 pm can opener and cletus (or whatever you're calling yourself these days )
why dont you two get a job ? find something to do other than being north cheerleaders. because next year womens college lacrosse will be moving on to the next new thing
Too funny.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

njbill wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:10 pm Can Man, you crack me up. :lol: I am so far inside your head I know you better than you know yourself. You just spent an hour of your day devoted to me. I'm so honored. But you did miss a few. Try to do better.

Since you enjoy my comments on North so much, here's another one for you.

Did you notice in the first half of the game the other night when she went rogue and turned into me-first Charlotte? She scored, but her senior teammates, instead of hugging her as normally occurs after a goal, clearly were chastising her for selfish play. And then the coaches took her out shortly thereafter.

I hope that doesn't make your head explode since I'm inside it. :lol:
Wow did that actually happen. Classic.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:09 am

ONW I’m still waiting for what exactly North has to “persevere through much of her life”. Please clarify . Sounds like quite a lot.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Laxfan500 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:39 pm

ONW I’m still waiting for what exactly North has to “persevere through much of her life”. Please clarify . Sounds like quite a lot.
She was from Texas; that's always hard.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:52 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:39 pm

She was from Texas; that's always hard.
Thoughts & prayers
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Can Opener wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:27 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:13 pm
Can Opener wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:20 pm I will never understand why seemingly intelligent adults spend so much time and energy ripping a young woman who has:
* Won back-to-back Tewaaraton awards
* Set the NCAA single season and career records for goals
* Led her team to an improbable NCAA championship last year after being ranked #13 in pre-season polls
* Emerged as a leading contributor on the US Women's National Team
* Dramatically increased energy and enthusiasm for the sport among young girls

I have posed this question several times of my friend from the Garden State and he has never willing to provide an honest answer. I mean, honestly, who gets out of bed every morning with the goal of criticizing a woman you don't know in an anonymous online forum? What is the possible motivation? Does anyone have the integrity to answer the question?

Pro tip: If you want to have any hint of credibility on this issue -- of which you currently have none -- you should at least acknowledge the remarkable accomplishments of the person before you return to ripping her.

It's not a Rip! Why can't you and ONW understand that? Are you both snowflakes? Stop the madness!!
People are allowed to question Charlotte's effectiveness as a player, question the program, question the other BC players, question the coaches and their decisions. There is nothing to say they have to "know the Young Women". To have that as some kind of litmus test is simply ridiculous.
Seacoaster criticized the Northwestern Coaches, specifically KAH. I read what he wrote and I defended her record. HOWEVER, he had every right to say what he said and it never was personal. It was always Lacrosse. I'm pretty sure he doesn't know Kelly(I do), but he wasn't required to do so before he commented.

CO and ONW...njbill never called Charlotte any bad name. He never called her a S***, H** or B****. Did he? If he did not and all he said was that he didn't feel she was a great player, or a very good passer or took too many shots, then he did nothing wrong. You don't have to like it, but those are the facts. If you can show otherwise, produce it...and not some vague sorta kinda crap.
I really just want to deal with all the aspects of Lacrosse and nothing else. Anything else, then you guys should check out the other sides of the FanLax Forum.
You can apply whatever verb you'd like, if the word "rip" doesn't suit you. Webster's says that it means to criticize or disparage. I think that fits with the volume of negativity on these boards toward a woman who has been voted twice as the best player in college lacrosse. You are correct that NJB never used derogatory terms like what I can imagine S, H & B represent. That's not my point. I am truly perplexed by what could possibly motivate an intelligent adult to spend so much time and energy criticizing a great player. (Can everyone here agree that she is at least one of the top five players in college lacrosse?) The sheer volume and inability to ever admit they were wrong is what I find so troubling with these posters. Of course people can have different opinions on a player's merit. Fine -- say it once or twice and move along. What NJB has never mustered the courage to do is to explain why a grown man is so motivated to launch these criticisms time and time again. He goes berserk if I say it seems weird or creepy, so again, supply your own descriptive word. You seem to be willing to answer for Bill, so what do you think the motivation is? This is more than just: "I think she's overrated." We could all imagine 100 better ways to spend our time than constantly criticizing a great player and refusing to admit that criticism was misplaced. I get that the constant haranguing of ONW is an attempt to drive him off FanLax. What is the goal of relentlessly criticizing CN? To drive her out of lacrosse? To teach her the error of her ways? To make her realize that her social media presence is backfiring among the college-educated 60+ male demographic?

Sorry to overwhelm readers, but the sheer volume of NJB's negativity is curious. A few samples of his comments:

North fans aren’t going to like this, but team chemistry is critical as is willingness to share the ball. It says here she won’t make the team.

Also, I think to be on the US team, you have to be an absolutely tiptop passer, which North is not. I think she is only OK for an elite attacker.

Prepare to be disappointed, Dad. She isn’t going to make the final team. What did Spallina say at the tryouts?

We’ll see. You can say there’s no way they aren’t taking her. I can say there’s no way they are. We don’t make the decision.

She is only a scorer. This team does not need more scorers.

​​Keep trying, Dad.

She ain’t making the national team. Bank on it.

Do you really want me to get into the other reasons? Didn’t think so.

You have an unhealthy, unnatural infatuation with this young woman. You pour over her stats again and again. You check her social media. And you call me creepy?

Larry, I, for one, appreciate the history lesson, but you are wasting your time on this can opener. He thinks Charlotte North is the best player of all time, and no one can tell him otherwise. And for goodness sake, he had never heard of Megan Whittle.

Carolina crushed Boston College on the draw. North got zero draws. They held her to two goals on eight shots. She turned the ball over a few times. The game plan certainly was to shut her down. That plan was a success. (Once again Trenchard shut down North. Why Colson was a Tewaaraton finalist and Trenchard wasn’t is a travesty.)

UNC won the draw 16-7. North got no draws. People have been touting her as a great draw collector, which she has been. But not today. She shot 2 for 8 and had several turnovers. I think she had a bad game. If you think otherwise, you of course are entitled to your opinion.

I don’t give North much credit, if any, for any good play from her teammates. If I am being doubled, and my teammates play well, I get credit? Don’t think I agree with that.

But North hurt her chances today because she had a sub par game, arguably even a poor game.

Pretty surprising that the three T finalists in this game are all coming up pretty small.

What is with North’s screeching when the draw is being set up?

Oh, forgot to ask CO for permission to say something critical about North.

That would explain when she is yelling names, but the screeching is exceedingly odd. Would be quite surprised if that is a play call.

Take a look at her assists to shots ratio (12/162=7.4%). Pathetic for a player who has the ball in her stick perhaps more than any other player in the game. And one who gets doubled a lot, which should allow for easy assists. Her assists should be multiples higher than they are.

BC won yesterday in spite of not because of North. If Hall hadn't been all world and had she allowed in a few more goals, the big story today would be that North choked.

You have very ably laid out the case in North's favor. On the other side of the ledger is the lingering feeling of some that she hogs the ball and celebrates too exuberantly.

She has been shut down twice now by Emma Trenchard. Disqualifying? No, but it hurts her case.

She had a bad game in the biggest game of her life, in the national semifinals.

As to the "silly" draw control argument, posters have argued quite a bit that her DC process should be factored into her Tewaaraton candidacy. Rightly so. Well, yesterday she came up goose eggs in that department. In the biggest game of her life. The seven her team got? What about the fact that she got ZERO herself? What about the 16 the other team got on her watch?

And then there were her turnovers. The box score has her with one. I counted at least two on the replay. And at least two of her shots were saved, which effectively were turnovers.

Where did she rank in terms of individual performances on her team? Well down the list. Behind Hall. Behind Medjid. Behind Smith. Behind Urbank (6 DCs). Behind local girl Mossman. Don't know the defenders well enough by name to list the ones that played well yesterday, but there are probably two or three who played better than North. So the Tewaaraton finalist was outplayed by a significant majority of her own teammates yesterday.

But it’s not irrelevant that she shot 0-2 in the fourth quarter of a tied National Championship game. Even SSB commented "where is North?" (not those exact words, but words to that effect).

As I said, if the Tewaaraton were an offense-only award, she not only wouldn't win, she wouldn't be a finalist.

You can make a similar argument about North. The coaches in her conference voted Ortega, not her, the best attacker in the ACC. North’s coach (per that male announcer who fawns over North the way a four-year-old fawns over a new puppy) said North is not the best shooter on BC. I presume she means it’s Medjid. When North took the biggest shot of her life, with four minutes to go and her team down by one, she shot directly into the goalie’s stick, effectively turning the ball over.

I don't know if you are "cool" or not, but sometimes your cluelessness astounds me… Nevertheless, your posts reveal a relative (relative to other posters here) ignorance of the women's game.

CO is North's father AND publicist.

I have no problem with North celebrating a big goal in the final game, or even a goal in a regular season game against UNC. What I think people had problems with was her going nuts when she scored her fourth goal in a blowout win over Podunk U.

You aren’t going to like hearing this, and you’ll call me a hater of course, but North has not had as good a year this year as last. Her goal production (her raison d’etre) is down 25% (yes, the season isn’t over). [CO note: she finished with 10% fewer goals and nearly 100% more assists in '22 compared to '21.]

Last year the intangible momentum was with North. This year it is with Ortega. I understand you may not see that as you don’t really follow women’s lacrosse.

If I were you, I’d take a long, hard look at this screaming tea leaf: Oretga was voted ACC attacker of the year, not North.
I think this is an enormous whiff.

A lot of these are part of the exchange of shots you two take at each other.

"Ortega was voted ACC attacker of the year, not North" how TF is that is that "negativity" towards Charlotte North?? It's just a fact.

More of them are just stating what happened followed by an opinion/assessment, "UNC won the draw 16-7. North got no draws. People have been touting her as a great draw collector, which she has been. But not today. She shot 2 for 8 and had several turnovers. I think she had a bad game. If you think otherwise, you of course are entitled to your opinion." Expressing opinion on a player's play and backing it up with statistics isn't being unfairly negative. In general, just because someone disagrees with another's assessment of a player doesn't automatically mean they hate the player in question, think she's terrible, or are being overly/unfairly critical.

If you just look back at how the board has been plastered & spammed into oblivion with CH-worship by one specific poster, the amount of posters disagreeing with the rabid adulation shouldn't really surprise you. Again, I genuinely don't think people have a problem with Charlotte North, they have a problem with the exaggerated, hyperbolic, incessant praise.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”