Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HillsLax

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by HillsLax »

Very impressive so many players are Academic All Americans. For what it's worth, Joey Epstein's major was philosophy.
molo

Post by molo »

Then I like him even more.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HillsLax wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:20 pm Very impressive so many players are Academic All Americans. For what it's worth, Joey Epstein's major was philosophy.
Kudos to the young men and staff.
Homer

Post by Homer »

Henpecked wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:30 am In this model is Crawley an assassin? Or an errand boy sent by grocery clerks?
I mean, we joke, but these are Hopkins donors we're talking about, so realistically more like radiologists' accountants than grocery clerks. But otherwise, yeah.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

benson going ex jays or ex terps for his providence staff and will he return to his jays roots and burn all his terp stuff as he should?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CemQbWQO92Y/

bit of a different kind of a transition on the north side of the clc.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Homer wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:09 am
Henpecked wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:30 am In this model is Crawley an assassin? Or an errand boy sent by grocery clerks?
I mean, we joke, but these are Hopkins donors we're talking about, so realistically more like radiologists' accountants than grocery clerks. But otherwise, yeah.
terminate.jpg
terminate.jpg (28.96 KiB) Viewed 2820 times
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Henpecked wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:30 am
Homer wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:53 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:31 pm
OCanada wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:17 pm I don’t know why anyone would think Jr had much to do with all these commitments.
Try putting on your thinking cap
I think the mental model here for how post-Petro Hopkins lacrosse works is basically Apocalypse Now. Milliman's somewhere upriver commanding this weird atavistic village cult, and people keep getting sent up there to retrieve him, only they always inexplicably end up joining forces and, like, playing lacrosse there for 4+ years or something.
In this model is Crawley an assassin? Or an errand boy sent by grocery clerks?
I did. Apparently you prefer living in an alternate universe.
Homer

Post by Homer »

OCanada wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:32 am
I did. Apparently you prefer living in an alternate universe.
It's not that I *prefer* it exactly, it's that I don't see what other option I have. I've begged, I've implored, I've cajoled you to explain your claims that what I might infer from the public record is quite wrong and that the insider view is quite different. Every time I pose this question, you instantly melt away, only to reappear weeks later mocking me for some assessment based on my view from outside the building.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Homer, i was responding to 16 not you. I don’t believe you have ever begged or implored or cajoled. I recently posted people can believe or not. The exception are those that are either grossly misinformed or lies. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.

If i post something told me by someone involved with the sport and am asked how i know i am not revealing a name.

Its not a concern for me. Believe or don’t believe. Up to you.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:28 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:26 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:22 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:46 pm
flalax22 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:40 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:01 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:25 pm Ernie interviews Crawley on his return to Homewood:

https://hopkinssports.com/watch/?Archiv ... pe=Archive

As always success will be determined on the field but I have a pretty good feeling about him. I think the offensive guys are going to like playing for him. Young enough that he'll be able to relate to them and knows better than anyone what it's like to suit up for the Jays but also experienced enough to lead/teach them and I think a fresh set of eyes is needed to jumpstart the offense.

Doesn't go into tremendous detail but he does describe the offense he wants to run as free-flowing, positionless, basketball style.

Not that it needed yet another confirmation but he mentions looking forward to working with Degnon specifically, along with some of the more veteran returners as well as the incoming freshmen which Ernie says PM is excited about.
so after two years of Grant jr, we're going back to the previous regimes offense only with a younger coach? Then why not just keep Benson? Aren't these incoming freshmen grant jr guys?

I would also have liked to see PM do an end of year q and a like this to talk about why Grant jr was out after just 2 years and what he thinks about the program going forward.
I just did my own Q&A with a current parent. Not as reliable as hearing directly from PM but it certainly was informative.

The staff was by the sounds of it extremely dysfunctional the entire season. They confirmed Grant was no longer running the O and that PM was. The falling out happened around Syracuse but that the acrimony had gone on between all staff members the whole time. It was chalked up to being competitive but the players struggled with the mixed messages. I was told that the staff unlike Dwan and Benson being “good cops” to Petros “bad cop” lacked any “good cops” and they were described as - PM- Serious and unapproachable. Grant aloof and unapproachable, JK serious and a screamer and Annino angry, insecure and unapproachable. This is one parent but I will say it is the parent of a player that saw time so the message doesn’t come from bitterness over playing time.

I was told Crawley is already a breath of fresh air. Connecting positively with players. So it sounds like an upgrade personality wise. We will see if the return of the Benson offense brings any on field success.
thanks for posting. Hope the kid has a good summer. crawley seems like a nice guy.
Benson wasn’t running that offense at Hopkins. He picked it up before going to Maryland. Which Hopkins team looked like Maryland’s offense in 2021 and 2022? I wondered what style offense Crawley would run. Lehigh didn’t run that offense either. Benson did bring along his lethal man up sets.
Tillman would not have brought on Benson if he didn’t think he could run a good motion offense, of which Maryland 2022 may be the penultimate exemplar. The Hopkins 2014-2015 offense was not of the caliber we saw from the Terps this season, but it was a pretty effective motion offense with some lethal finishers.

DocBarrister
Benson consulted with a coach on that offense. Maybe because Tillman told him he wanted something dynamic. Maryland wasn’t running that offense with the Rambo teams. That was a good Hopkins team BTW.
Benson and UMD's offense isn't one you can install in a singular offseason or spring pre-season. Far from it. Even with the best/brightest athletes.

That offense takes a couple years to build, installing parts and elements and then executing - getting the timing and spacing right in game-speed, and adding/installing more. It is not something that is easily or quickly replicated. Lots of elements to it. If you want to run it, it's a 2-3 year process to get it all installed and correct. Unlike the Denver simple 2-man game or Syracuse's zone offense that got replicated nonstop, you wont see that one pop up too much because to do it well, you need to fully commit to it over a long period.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:17 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:25 pm Ernie interviews Crawley on his return to Homewood:

As always success will be determined on the field but I have a pretty good feeling about him. I think the offensive guys are going to like playing for him. Young enough that he'll be able to relate to them and knows better than anyone what it's like to suit up for the Jays but also experienced enough to lead/teach them and I think a fresh set of eyes is needed to jumpstart the offense.

Doesn't go into tremendous detail but he does describe the offense he wants to run as free-flowing, positionless, basketball style.

Not that it needed yet another confirmation but he mentions looking forward to working with Degnon specifically, along with some of the more veteran returners as well as the incoming freshmen which Ernie says PM is excited about.
so after two years of Grant jr, we're going back to the previous regimes offense only with a younger coach? Then why not just keep Benson? Aren't these incoming freshmen grant jr guys?

I would also have liked to see PM do an end of year q and a like this to talk about why Grant jr was out after just 2 years and what he thinks about the program going forward.
I just did my own Q&A with a current parent. Not as reliable as hearing directly from PM but it certainly was informative.

The staff was by the sounds of it extremely dysfunctional the entire season. They confirmed Grant was no longer running the O and that PM was. The falling out happened around Syracuse but that the acrimony had gone on between all staff members the whole time. It was chalked up to being competitive but the players struggled with the mixed messages. I was told that the staff unlike Dwan and Benson being “good cops” to Petros “bad cop” lacked any “good cops” and they were described as - PM- Serious and unapproachable. Grant aloof and unapproachable, JK serious and a screamer and Annino angry, insecure and unapproachable. This is one parent but I will say it is the parent of a player that saw time so the message doesn’t come from bitterness over playing time.

I was told Crawley is already a breath of fresh air. Connecting positively with players. So it sounds like an upgrade personality wise. We will see if the return of the Benson offense brings any on field success.
thanks for posting. Hope the kid has a good summer. crawley seems like a nice guy.
Benson wasn’t running that offense at Hopkins. He picked it up before going to Maryland. Which Hopkins team looked like Maryland’s offense in 2021 and 2022? I wondered what style offense Crawley would run. Lehigh didn’t run that offense either. Benson did bring along his lethal man up sets.
Tillman would not have brought on Benson if he didn’t think he could run a good motion offense, of which Maryland 2022 may be the penultimate exemplar. The Hopkins 2014-2015 offense was not of the caliber we saw from the Terps this season, but it was a pretty effective motion offense with some lethal finishers.

DocBarrister
Benson consulted with a coach on that offense. Maybe because Tillman told him he wanted something dynamic. Maryland wasn’t running that offense with the Rambo teams. That was a good Hopkins team BTW.
Benson and UMD's offense isn't one you can install in a singular offseason or spring pre-season. Far from it. Even with the best/brightest athletes.

That offense takes a couple years to build, installing parts and elements and then executing - getting the timing and spacing right in game-speed, and adding/installing more. It is not something that is easily or quickly replicated. Lots of elements to it. If you want to run it, it's a 2-3 year process to get it all installed and correct. Unlike the Denver simple 2-man game or Syracuse's zone offense that got replicated nonstop, you wont see that one pop up too much because to do it well, you need to fully commit to it over a long period.
I discovered it wasn’t from scratch. Benson seems to have added to something that was underway and consulted for some additional elements. Definitely worked through it with a coach I know. No big deal. Anyway, let’s see who comes in at Maryland. I like the Crawley hire. Should be good for the program.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:28 pm

DocBarrister

I discovered it wasn’t from scratch. Benson seems to have added to something that was underway and consulted for some additional elements. Definitely worked through it with a coach I know. No big deal. Anyway, let’s see who comes in at Maryland. I like the Crawley hire. Should be good for the program.
Coach Tillman, whom I believe is currently the best head coach in college lacrosse, described Benson well:

“I think it’s a really good move for Providence,” Tillman said. “You’re getting a guy that has a lot of experience. He’s coached in some of the biggest games against a lot of the great teams and to me is a guy that is always consistent with putting out a really good product. What’s interesting is, he’s been able offensively to be successful with a lot of different styles. So I think he’s got a really good ability to take what he has and maximize what he has.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:36 pm

DocBarrister

Coach Tillman, whom I believe is currently the best head coach in college lacrosse, described Benson well:

“I think it’s a really good move for Providence,” Tillman said. “You’re getting a guy that has a lot of experience. He’s coached in some of the biggest games against a lot of the great teams and to me is a guy that is always consistent with putting out a really good product. What’s interesting is, he’s been able offensively to be successful with a lot of different styles. So I think he’s got a really good ability to take what he has and maximize what he has.

DocBarrister 8-)
Yep. He should do well at Providence. Nice little stadium also.
“I wish you would!”
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:01 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:36 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister 8-)
Yep. He should do well at Providence. Nice little stadium also.
There was no reason to say anything nice about Maryland before and there's REALLY no reason to say anything nice now.
Michigan, Maryland, Navy, Penn State, all potential/expected 2023 opponents looking for new coordinators.

Dan Arestia @danarestia 1h 67 Team USA tryout invitees from 33 schools. Maryland has the most with 9. Notre Dame and Duke each have 6. UVA has 5. Denver, UNC, Rutgers with 4. OSU, Albany, High Point with 3. Marquette, Princeton, Loyola, Yale with 2. One each for 19 schools (I double counted transfers).
-I don't know what the numbers have been over the years but Crawley as our only representative is still jarring especially w/hpu and marquette ahead of us on that list.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Gee, great article by Christian Sweezey on IL:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... est-/59862

No dude. The Gaits couldn't even beat a healthy 1989 Hopkins team. They would have had NO chance against the 79 Team.
They would have been lucky to get to 10 goals and there's no way they would have stopped the 79 Hop offense.
On top of which, with Radebaugh at the X they wouldn't have seen the ball. Oh, he could have play O too so you'd be matching him up with your FOGO.
The 79 Team blew playoff teams off the field without Face offs. It would have been much much worse if Rads could have taken draws.
Also, if you would have bothered to consult with actual Hopkins fans and players, you would know that the 84 Hop team was not better than the 79 team.
Out-to-lunch Christian. IL Bro culture lost.
Someone needs to step up and write a history of Hopkins lacrosse in the 70s and 80s.
Here's a title : Decade of Dominance: The Story of Hopkins lacrosse in the 70's and 80's.
This BS that SU and the GAITS were the best ever is just that: BS
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:34 am Gee, great article by Christian Sweezey on IL:

No dude. The Gaits couldn't even beat a healthy 1989 Hopkins team. They would have had NO chance against the 79 Team.
They would have been lucky to get to 10 goals and there's no way they would have stopped the 79 Hop offense.
On top of which, with Radebaugh at the X they wouldn't have seen the ball. Oh, he could have play O too so you'd be matching him up with your FOGO.
The 79 Team blew playoff teams off the field without Face offs. It would have been much much worse if Rads could have taken draws.
Also, if you would have bothered to consult with actual Hopkins fans and players, you would know that the 84 Hop team was not better than the 79 team.
Someone needs to step up and write a history of Hopkins lacrosse in the 70s and 80s.
Here's a title : Decade of Dominance: The Story of Hopkins lacrosse in the 70's and 80's.
If you think Syracuse is insufferable now wait until IL rolls out its fall issue w/their incoming class et all on the cover. Every second of next season is going to be devoted to Gait's restoration of Syracuse. In some ways it'll be good for PM taking the national microscope off him in a must win year 3, but it's also going to be intoxicating.

For the "Hopkins is where fun goes to die and therefore shouldn't expect to get recruits crowd"-this is a pretty good look at Stanford's war on fun.
https://palladiummag.com/2022/06/13/sta ... cial-life/
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:34 am Gee, great article by Christian Sweezey on IL:

That link changed,

There is not a lot out there, videos and writeups and such,
so people tend to severely short sell that 1979 team,

I know what I saw,
the 1979 team beat the daylights out of a very very good
national title skill level Terp team — with Bobby Boniella and
Pete Worstell among others.

1, 2, 3 - in no particular order, is pretty simple, to me -
1979 Hopkins, 1976 Cornell, 1990 Syracuse.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:58 am

That link changed,

There is not a lot out there, videos and writeups and such,
so people tend to severely short sell that 1979 team,

I know what I saw,
the 1979 team beat the daylights out of a very very good
national title skill level Terp team — with Bobby Boniella and
Pete Worstell among others.

1, 2, 3 - in no particular order, is pretty simple, to me -
1979 Hopkins, 1976 Cornell, 1990 Syracuse.
Yeah it's really sad you can't even get a video of the 79 Title game. You can get most other NC games though.
Midfields went three lines deep, attack: Jeff Cook, Jim Bidne, Jeff Harris, Jimmie Zaffuto, Frank Cutrone
Defense arguably the best all time. Just totally dominant.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:34 am No dude. The Gaits couldn't even beat a healthy 1989 Hopkins team. They would have had NO chance against the 79 Team.
So you're gauging the quality of the 1990 Syracuse team...by looking at their results in 1989? Reaching a bit, don't you think?

The 1979 Hop team also lost a game in 1978. And beat Maryland by just one goal in 1979.

Both teams were as good as they get.

...and folks seem to forget that the 1988 SU team was undefeated, too. And beat Hopkins at Homewood 19-7.

You alumni should ask your School to pull all game tapes from that era, and upload them to YouTube before they turn to dust. I can't imagine that they don't have them.....by all accounts I've ever heard, Chic and Tierney et. al. were obsessive with game day prep. I can't imagine that they weren't sitting on the biggest pile of game film in the sport...both for Hopkins and their opponents.

One of you Hop fans should really get on that before it's too late.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10156285516627512

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”